Best trails in Ga, SC, NC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best trails in Ga, SC, NC

Where are the best places/trails to ride in these states. I am looking for the most fun, technical and scenic trails. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Short list

I'll give you the short list of places I've ridden and enjoyed in GA.

Any of the trails around Gainesville are excellent, in particular Chicopee Woods and the Chicopee Ag Center. More fun and technical than they are scenic. The Ag Center is a super well designed race course.

Dauset Trails near Jackson is a great system. Roughly analagous to Chicopee Woods, meaning lots of rolling and buff stuff. Fun fun. The inner section, Huff and Puff, is pretty technical with rocks and dozen or so terraced drops you either climb or descend depending on where you are in the trail.

Conyers horse park/1996 Olympic course. This trail is truly unique in the state due to substantial portions of the trail pasted across exposed granite. If you have ever seen Stone Mountain, it's the same material. The wooded single track parts are great, too. Some good climbs.

Fort Mountain State Park. This one doesn't get ridden too much I think as its really steep in parts. Try though (alone like I did) and you'll definitely get the "I'm lost in the woods" heebie jeebies. I rode it after some months of pretty heavy rains, so the streams the trail borders were really cascading and in many instances simply flowing down the trail. Second thought, take a friend. One of the prettiest, mountain bikingest and most wild feeling places I've ridden. You go to the woods to ride deliberately.

Mar 2004

Riding in Western North Carolina

There are great rides in the Brevard, NC area. Go to the website "mtbikewnc.com". It's the online resource for mountain biking in Western N.C.

No Shades of Gray
    Quote Originally Posted by fl jay
    Where are the best places/trails to ride in these states. I am looking for the most fun, technical and scenic trails. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks.
    I think WNC is a little far for you unless you want a 4-7 hour dirve (depending where you're heading) but all I hear is good things about it.
    OTOH, probably about 1.5 hours off of I95 is Sanford, NC. There are a couple of nice trails in that area.
    1. San Lee Park - about 7 miles of singletrack suited for races several times a year. Pretty fun but a little more loose gravel than I'd like in comse areas.
    2. Governor's Creek - 4.5 mile loop also for racing and a tone of fun. More technical ridden correctly and faster ridden backwards.

Also, try Uhwarrie National Park a little farther west (probably 2 hours from I95) which has about 11 miles of single/double track to the top of the mountain and back. a LONG climb. It is challenging but very doable.

Note: No big hucking here. Mostly race-like conditions.

Post back if you need more info. The shop in Sanford is Fit To Be Tried Bikes, 919.776.2453 and they are great and very friendly.

Good luck!
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain