Best places in to live 3 months per year for riding/weather ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 49 of 49
  1. #1
    EJC
    EJC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    52

    Best places in U.S. to live 3 months (summer) for riding/weather ?

    Currently live in AZ, working in healthcare, can travel and find 3 month work assignments throughout U.S. Any recommendations factoring in riding and weather?
    Last edited by EJC; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:02 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    383
    Asheville, NC or Marquette, MI.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,974
    Easy, Bentonville.

    Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    CEO Product Failure
    Reputation: bingemtbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,392
    LOL! I was just about to add Tucson to the list. I've ridden every place (several times) on the list so far. I'd say hands down "NWA": North West Arkansas (Bentonville) and add Moab/Fruita to the list. Both areas have an outstanding amount of great trails and the local vibe is wonderful.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,823
    Summer in Bellingham would be hard to beat.

    There are a veritable shit ton of places. From North Conway to Crested Butte to Tahoe to you name it.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  6. #6
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,533
    July through September in Summit County, Colorado is awesome for riding and weather.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,116
    winter here in central Texas. the summers are quite harsh but temperatures in the 50s through most of "winter" is not bad. the only downside is when it rains a lot in cooler weatheróthe trail dirt turns to sticky peanut butter and it's impossible to ride in that. there's no "loam," just goop.

  8. #8
    well mannered lout
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,446
    North Conway is a good choice if you want to be away from it all. If you want to be in a bigger town with lots to do (and great food!), or near the water Portsmouth,NH or Burlington, VT might fit the bill.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,233
    Which 3 months?

  10. #10
    EJC
    EJC is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    52
    3 months during the the June-Sept time frame. Thanks all for replies so far, will definitely look into all those locations.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,116
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    3 months during the the June-Sept time frame. Thanks all for replies so far, will definitely look into all those locations.
    never mind then. you'll hate Texas during that period. hot AF.

  12. #12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,504
    Colorado, Breck or Gunnison, Tahoe, Tucson in the winter, San Diego in the winter, Montana, Jackson WY, Pac NW like anyhere from Bellingham down to Rainier, Ashland, and so many others (Bentonville wouldn't be on my personal radar, been there, best riding within a few hundred miles for sure, but not enough to make me want to travel there for it, it was miserable in the summer too...but with the option if you do a lot of other stuff, maybe eventually to just see it).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  13. #13
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,575
    Big Bear, CA. Cool summertime temps, four bike parks with 20 miles and hundreds of miles of single track. It's also a close to SART and the trails around the Kern River.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,233
    I would write off the southeast too. Hot and humid. Spring and Fall are great. Winter it rains a lot. Summer is a sauna, and best for water sports.

    I'd be looking at places with altitude or northern latitudes. Colorado would be nice. Washington or Oregon maybe. Hawaii....

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    383
    Moab, Bentonville, Tuscon all get pretty hot in the summer. Asheville has more moderate temps than most of the SE. Brown County, IN is well regarded and I've heard Nashville, IN is a great town.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    383
    Also, Marquette/Copper Harbor has all the riding you could ask for this side of Whistler.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,823
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Also, Marquette/Copper Harbor has all the riding you could ask for this side of Whistler.
    How's the mosquitos and what kind of elevation is there?
    This is an area I'd like to check out as a mountain biker and sea/lake kayaker. I've been through there fishing with my grandfather about 34 years ago but haven't been back since.



    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,286
    Any of the New England locations would be awesome. Tons of great riding, and awesome weather this time of year.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,762
    ^^^+1
    What, me worry?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: connolm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    699
    I'll second Burlington, VT. But it still gets hot and muggy. Rode the Gravel Growler one year with temps in upper 90s the whole time (1st week September). I fainted in Montpelier.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,823
    I would've said Stowe/Waterbury 15 years ago but talk about being loved to death, fuggedaboutit. Still some of the best beer around though.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,062
    Not Hawaii. We have family on the Big Island and travel to there and other islands frequently. It is not a mountain biking mecca.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rev Bubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,062
    New England in general. Vermont and NH are small states so pick one and drive to the other.

  24. #24
    Candlestick Maker
    Reputation: baker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    July through September in Summit County, Colorado is awesome for riding and weather.
    A reasonable recommendation...
    baker

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    How's the mosquitos and what kind of elevation is there?
    This is an area I'd like to check out as a mountain biker and sea/lake kayaker. I've been through there fishing with my grandfather about 34 years ago but haven't been back since.



    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Its more about the black flies. They are meaner than mosquitoes. That said, I was in both places in August and had no issues with either. YMMV.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    398
    If you're talking about the summer months, then it's got to be either the Rocky Mountains (anywhere from Northern New Mexico to Colorado to northern Utah) or the Pacific Northwest/Canada.

    I live in Arkansas, and it's great. That being said, it's not so great in the summer. You can definitely ride, but I'd rather be out West enjoying their fantastic summer weather.

    Crested Butte/Gunnison would be high on my list because you have a great bike park, but you also have fantastic, epic riding. When you throw in Hartman Rocks, you have a pretty good variety of types of terrain to ride as well, from high alpine to desert-like slickrock.

  27. #27
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    11,566
    Santa Fe.

    Between Santa Fe and Taos, you really can't go wrong.

    Plus, with a short drive, you can do plenty of loops that can end at a hot spring.
    Death from Below.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Santa Fe.

    Between Santa Fe and Taos, you really can't go wrong.

    Plus, with a short drive, you can do plenty of loops that can end at a hot spring.
    Heading back home after 6 days in Santa Fe and 4 in Taos. It's a pretty amazing place. I will say that it does get a little hotter here in the Summer (especially Santa Fe) than some of the places in Colorado. Angelfire was beautiful weather for the last 3 days, though (even if it was awfully dusty). Still hard to beat!

  29. #29
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,902
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    3 months during the the June-Sept time frame. Thanks all for replies so far, will definitely look into all those locations.
    In June through September I'd base myself in the Colorado high country and take side trips to Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, and Utah. Basically stay west of I-25 and roam the Rockies.

  30. #30
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    In June through September I'd base myself in the Colorado high country and take side trips to Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, and Utah. Basically stay west of I-25 and roam the Rockies.
    Great, like we donít have enough out here roaming the Rockies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  31. #31
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,902
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Great, like we donít have enough out here roaming the Rockies.
    Haha, you guys have the goods.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8,762
    Def need more riders in in New England. The ticks and mosquitoes are hungry.
    What, me worry?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ostrichsak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Haha, you guys have the goods.
    No, No we don't. It sucks here. Big time.

  34. #34
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostrichsak View Post
    No, No we don't. It sucks here. Big time.
    Ha ha. Nice try.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: telemike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    885
    Any of the I 5 cities in Oregon, Bend (best in Oregon), Oakridge. Good weather and great trails. Bend is the best for my taste and has great skiing, great paddling, great hiking and climbing, and many miles of friendly trails. And a little lava.
    My mantra: Hike, Bike, Paddle, Ski

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    Not Hawaii. We have family on the Big Island and travel to there and other islands frequently. It is not a mountain biking mecca.
    Yup was just going to say if coming here with sole purpose of mtb, its not wortg it for 3 months. If you get a cost of living adjustment and do other activities then maybe.
    We make do with what we have here, but we get totally blown away when we take trips to ride Whistler/squamish/pemberton. If you were motivated you could probavly ride all the rideable legal trails on oahu in a couple weeks, if even that long.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    252
    Another vote for Copper Harbor/ Marquette. Black flies are a short week or two near early July. Mosquitos are manageable with a 357. There are bugs that fly and bite. No spiders to speak of. Unrivaled beauty, and sea kayaking. Challenging country, low elevations but very rugged and remote feeling.
    Virtually no Covid 19, Very low cost of liiving. Get the hell outa there by Oct 1

  38. #38
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,252
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Its more about the black flies. They are meaner than mosquitoes. That said, I was in both places in August and had no issues with either. YMMV.
    have been vacationing in Michigan for years, and the black fly season is mostly May to the end of June. They around all the time, but in droves during those months. We go up usually around the middle of July and it is not bad. I LOVE the Copper Harbor area, but have actually never ridden bikes up there. Just camping and canoeing.Gotta get some rides in now too!!
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  39. #39
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,252
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    Another vote for Copper Harbor/ Marquette. Black flies are a short week or two near early July. Mosquitos are manageable with a 357. There are bugs that fly and bite. No spiders to speak of. Unrivaled beauty, and sea kayaking. Challenging country, low elevations but very rugged and remote feeling.
    Virtually no Covid 19, Very low cost of liiving. Get the hell outa there by Oct 1
    no no!!! Winters are AWESOME up there! Fat bike heaven!!!

    (I know, i am in the minority!!)
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    no no!!! Winters are AWESOME up there! Fat bike heaven!!!

    (I know, i am in the minority!!)
    I have family there. I lived there in the winter. I moved down to the Ohio banana belt to see the ground some days in the winter. I like to go play in the snow not fight it every day just to leave the house.

    I recently asked my brother how much things have changed. His answer was " A sht load of snow and a license to grow, what do you think" That said it all for me.

    A trip to the Copper country by fat bike from where I live in Ohio and back, avoiding pavement as much as possible, is on the near term bucket list. I'm making a short test run of 190 miles through Northern Michigan in less than two weeks from now.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,548
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I would've said Stowe/Waterbury 15 years ago but talk about being loved to death, fuggedaboutit. Still some of the best beer around though.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    Stowe/Waterbury and NEK are the low hanging fruit of mtb in Vermont. The rest of the state is blowing up with better, lesser known riding.

    That said, its hard to beat central Vermont for summer riding. So many amazing trails and its constantly getting better.

    .....and you can enjoy some of the best beer anywhere for apres bevies.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    Another vote for Copper Harbor/ Marquette. Black flies are a short week or two near early July. Mosquitos are manageable with a 357. There are bugs that fly and bite. No spiders to speak of. Unrivaled beauty, and sea kayaking. Challenging country, low elevations but very rugged and remote feeling.
    Virtually no Covid 19, Very low cost of liiving. Get the hell outa there by Oct 1
    Thats true if you don't like snow/snow activities. However, Marquette is one of the top places in the US to fat bike. They groom miles (100?) of great fat bike trails. There are a couple great videos about it on YouTube. Also, Mt Bohemia is the best downhill skiing this side of the Rockies.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    929
    Quote Originally Posted by EJC View Post
    3 months during the the June-Sept time frame. Thanks all for replies so far, will definitely look into all those locations.
    Was going to second Northwest Arkansas. Easy, cheap, plenty of great trails for all styles, and the culture too. Especially Bentonville. But... although you're familiar with heat coming from AZ, the humidity in NWA in Jun-Aug will be an eye opener. 90 degrees in NWA will feel like 115+ in NV, but even less comfortable. And the summer bugs in NWA... a few yards through tall grass edging the trail, and my socks look like crowded section 8 housing for ticks. But the riding and culture is good enough to outweigh the negatives!

    Our choice for those months (and are each year, by the way), western slope CO and Tahoe.
    We do NWA in October.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  44. #44
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,252
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    I have family there. I lived there in the winter. I moved down to the Ohio banana belt to see the ground some days in the winter. I like to go play in the snow not fight it every day just to leave the house.

    I recently asked my brother how much things have changed. His answer was " A sht load of snow and a license to grow, what do you think" That said it all for me.

    A trip to the Copper country by fat bike from where I live in Ohio and back, avoiding pavement as much as possible, is on the near term bucket list. I'm making a short test run of 190 miles through Northern Michigan in less than two weeks from now.
    "Banana Belt" of Ohio...have lived here all my life and never heard of that...is that Southern Ohio? To me, all of Ohio is a banana belt b/c, other than the eastern lake counties, we don't get real winter here anymore.

    and I would LOVE to also do a trip like that...but don't think I will ever be at the right fitness level to do it...I would love to hear about the test run though!! Like routes; gear list; etc...
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,823
    Unless you have the mobility to spend winters in southern regions or hemisphere winter is fairly dreary most places. I'll take snow and ice over cold rain or endless freeze/thaw cycles 100 times out of a hundred. PNW winters in developed area's (low valleys and coastal) are no joke. They also take a cumulative toll, at least for me.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    "Banana Belt" of Ohio...have lived here all my life and never heard of that...is that Southern Ohio? To me, all of Ohio is a banana belt b/c, other than the eastern lake counties, we don't get real winter here anymore.

    and I would LOVE to also do a trip like that...but don't think I will ever be at the right fitness level to do it...I would love to hear about the test run though!! Like routes; gear list; etc...
    When you have wintered in the Copper Country all of Ohio is Tropical. I purposely did not move into the snow belt. Snow belongs on the ski hills, not it my driveway.

    I am doing the trip with a friend of mine whom lives in Ludington Michigan. He is 67 and will be on my Stumpy S Works. We plan on only about 45 miles a day We are not ride hogs your welcome to join us. I am carrying everything for the two of us in a trailer behind my e fat bike.

    Got a thread over in Bikepacking
    Did what I heard called the Emerald Bracelet. today. The western Cleveland Ohio Metro Parks loop that includes the Towpath Ohio and Erie trail.
    I did it with 11 psi in the tires and a full trailer load. I gotten into enough shape to get the range up where I want it. Today was 65 miles on a little over half the battery. I'm confident I will last 45 in the dirt. I am not wiped out this time. Can't wait.

  47. #47
    Snow Dog
    Reputation: str8edgMTBMXer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    3,252
    Quote Originally Posted by PierreR View Post
    When you have wintered in the Copper Country all of Ohio is Tropical. I purposely did not move into the snow belt. Snow belongs on the ski hills, not it my driveway.

    I am doing the trip with a friend of mine whom lives in Ludington Michigan. He is 67 and will be on my Stumpy S Works. We plan on only about 45 miles a day We are not ride hogs your welcome to join us. I am carrying everything for the two of us in a trailer behind my e fat bike.

    Got a thread over in Bikepacking
    Did what I heard called the Emerald Bracelet. today. The western Cleveland Ohio Metro Parks loop that includes the Towpath Ohio and Erie trail.
    I did it with 11 psi in the tires and a full trailer load. I gotten into enough shape to get the range up where I want it. Today was 65 miles on a little over half the battery. I'm confident I will last 45 in the dirt. I am not wiped out this time. Can't wait.
    man, I hope that I am even a quarter of the way to that when I am ready!!

    and Ohio has definitely gained a more tropical climate since the 70's/80's. I remember winters being way colder, for way longer, and way more snow.
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

    15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

  48. #48
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    33,504
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Was going to second Northwest Arkansas.

    Our choice for those months (and are each year, by the way), western slope CO and Tahoe.
    What you did there, see it I do.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    345
    Santa Fe.

    Not too hot, maybe mid 90ís with no humidity, but ride early and you miss that. Dozens of trails, easy drive to Taos and up to Southern CO, or Flagstaff/Sedona. Great food,

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 10:25 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 06:09 AM
  3. Best places to live in CO for XC riding / single trail?
    By phazedalx in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
  4. Avid weights...are these per piece or per pair?
    By KMan in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 02:39 PM

Members who have read this thread: 135

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.