Best Pedals for MTB and Road Race ?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45

    New question here. Best Pedals for MTB and Road Race ?

    Hi, I am looking for some pedal advice. I look for a pedal-system that can be used on MTB and Road Race, so that I can use 1 pair of shoes on both bikes. For instance: if I put SPD pedals on my MTB and SPD pedals on my road racer, I can use my shoes on both bikes.....

    So, I want pedals that:

    1. are available in a MTB and a Road Race version, or it should be a pedal that is OK for both MTB and road race

    2. are very easy to clip in to and out of

    3. are mud resistant (for the MTB version)


    What would you advice me? SPD ? Time ? Anything else ?

    Thanks,,, Peter

  2. #2
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,884
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter
    Hi, I am looking for some pedal advice. I look for a pedal-system that can be used on MTB and Road Race, so that I can use 1 pair of shoes on both bikes. For instance: if I put SPD pedals on my MTB and SPD pedals on my road racer, I can use my shoes on both bikes.....

    So, I want pedals that:

    1. are available in a MTB and a Road Race version, or it should be a pedal that is OK for both MTB and road race

    2. are very easy to clip in to and out of

    3. are mud resistant (for the MTB version)


    What would you advice me? SPD ? Time ? Anything else ?

    Thanks,,, Peter
    Crank Brothers Eggbeaters (MTB), Quattro (Road)
    Check my Site

  3. #3
    fc
    fc is offline
    head minion Administrator
    Reputation: fc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1996
    Posts
    33,693
    Your best bet is the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters. They are light and efficient and shed mud nicely. Get the ti versions for even more weight savings.

    Get a shoe like the Sidi Dominators which will perform well in both mtb and road.

    Now remember that you are seeking a compromise with the desire to use the the same pedal for both road and mountain. No high-level road race will do this. But in a sport-racer environment, it is probably a really good and practical choice.

    What you're compromising on is high-end road bike pedals are lighter, larger platform and have many bearings for low friction. The shoes are lighter and stiffer too. A great pedal now is the Look KEO pedal.

    francois

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    ...Now remember that you are seeking a compromise with the desire to use the the same pedal for both road and mountain. No high-level road race will do this...
    francois
    Not true, O Grand Over Lord. Last year Freddie Rodriguez used TripleTi Eggbeaters. Won several races including a stage of the Giro.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 6million$man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    96

    mtb/road pedal

    Speedplay Frogs fit your requirements nicely. they are light, simple and pretty bombproof with just a mimimum of maintenance. i used them on and off road for a long time with good results.

    Quote Originally Posted by pieter
    Hi, I am looking for some pedal advice. I look for a pedal-system that can be used on MTB and Road Race, so that I can use 1 pair of shoes on both bikes. For instance: if I put SPD pedals on my MTB and SPD pedals on my road racer, I can use my shoes on both bikes.....

    So, I want pedals that:

    1. are available in a MTB and a Road Race version, or it should be a pedal that is OK for both MTB and road race

    2. are very easy to clip in to and out of

    3. are mud resistant (for the MTB version)


    What would you advice me? SPD ? Time ? Anything else ?

    Thanks,,, Peter
    eddie would go.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    371
    Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man
    Speedplay Frogs fit your requirements nicely. they are light, simple and pretty bombproof with just a mimimum of maintenance. i used them on and off road for a long time with good results.
    I use Speedplay X3's, Frogs and Candy SL's for road, MTB, and CX use. For your requirements, I 2nd the Frog recommendations. Good compromise, you just have to acclimate yourself to the float. Works best for me because I'm very bowlegged.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    I use Speedplay X3's, Frogs and Candy SL's for road, MTB, and CX use. For your requirements, I 2nd the Frog recommendations. Good compromise, you just have to acclimate yourself to the float. Works best for me because I'm very bowlegged.

    I've heard great things about the Speedplays, but I have seen people have lots of problems with mud-shed, which is one of his requirements.

    I used some SPD's on my road bike because they were lying around. Worked fine, except my knees are kinda old, so they started hurting after longer rides (especially on the rollers). I switched back to TIMES accross the board, but I think they are too heavy for road racing.

    Thought about going Speedplay on the road rig, but decided to stick with the TIME's because of the same reasons you said. (Compatibility).

    WIth this experience and observation, I would have to agree that the eggbeater systems is your best all-around choice.

    If you are thinking speedplay, I know that Performance has the X-5's for $69.95, which is a really good price. I was tempted, but as I said, I opted to keep the TIME's, as I don't race, and don't mind the extra weight.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldskoolboarder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    371
    In REALLY sticky mud, the Frogs can be a problem. Otherwise, they're fine. I raced most of the CX season with them. Only in thick mud did it become a problem.

    X's won't have a mud problem because you wouldn't want to use those in mud anyways. They're strictly road pedals. It is tricky to walk on pavement though.

  9. #9
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolboarder
    In REALLY sticky mud, the Frogs can be a problem. Otherwise, they're fine. I raced most of the CX season with them. Only in thick mud did it become a problem.

    X's won't have a mud problem because you wouldn't want to use those in mud anyways. They're strictly road pedals. It is tricky to walk on pavement though.
    Thick mud is the norm in my area.

    Eggbeaters work the best.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    246

    I second Shiggy

    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Thick mud is the norm in my area.

    Eggbeaters work the best.
    plus, except for greasing--which is an extremely easy process-- they're maintenance free.
    Also, you can mount the 'beater cleats differently on your road vs. mtb shoes, so that they'll require more/less foot movement to become unclipped.
    Eggbeaters will meet your other two requirements well too, and even the less expensive chromoly model weighs significantly less than most other pedals.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    45
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. You really know your stuff !

    I'll look at the Eggbeaters. On paper, these seem the best. It's a shame that they are quite expensive though. I guess you can't have it all !

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter
    Wow, thanks for all the replies. You really know your stuff !

    I'll look at the Eggbeaters. On paper, these seem the best. It's a shame that they are quite expensive though. I guess you can't have it all !
    I can't remember who right now (maybe Performance or Nashbar?) but someone is offering a great deal where you get the shoes and the pedals for cheap. Maybe someone here can direct you to them. Even if you already have one pair of shoes, if you can get a second for cheap, it is a good thing (Ever screw up a shoe bad enough to not be able to use it? Would suck on a racing weekend....)

    Also, check out www.bestbikebuys.com, it is one way to find a good deal on anything bikes, if you don't mind using mail order (in most cases).

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,236
    Pricepoint has some good combo deals right now.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    Trail rider and racer
    Reputation: Trevor!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,691
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Not true, O Grand Over Lord. Last year Freddie Rodriguez used TripleTi Eggbeaters. Won several races including a stage of the Giro.
    Plenty of road riders use eggies now. It really surprises me that they do - but they do.
    Trev!

Similar Threads

  1. blast from the past, cut/paste from archived MTB DOC posts
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 09:47 AM
  2. Best road race tires for MTB Wheels ?
    By 38lolo in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 01:59 AM
  3. A funny race report and season wrap up
    By ashwinearl in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 02:09 PM
  4. Keystone race report: Going for the win.
    By bock in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 07:31 PM
  5. Passion Hit - Roadie Style! (LONG)
    By parkmeister in forum Riding Passion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 03:11 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.