best inexpensive clear glasses that don't fog up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

best inexpensive clear glasses that don't fog up?

What are your recommendations for inexpensive protective eyewear that won't fog up? Must be CLEAR lenses.

I've had cheap $5 safety glasses that did a decent job and didn't break my heart when they got scratched up. But sometimes you'll run into helmet interference - they sit to high and bang against the underside of the helmet above the eyes, or the helmet pushes them down. And often they usually lack the rubber temple and nose pieces that keep the glasses from sliding down when sweaty.

I've had expensive $100 glasses that did a good job keeping the fog at bay but didn't last long before they got scratched up to crap from "cleaning" them with the bottom of my jersey. Once you get too many scratches then you can't see shit. And I wasn't too happy when my buddy stepped on them.

Somewhere in between would be nice.....

Also, FWIW, I've found that JAWS SPIT antifog works fairly well for keeping the lenses fog-free, or liquid dish soap, along with removing the glasses immediately upon stopping and holding them away from the face (where there is lots of hot, humid air being exhausted on every breath).

So what do you say? What's working well for you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I just use the cheap safety glasses. I don't have to worry about them breaking, and as you said, take them off when stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloMike View Post
    I just use the cheap safety glasses. I don't have to worry about them breaking, and as you said, take them off when stopped.

Same thing I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloMike View Post

And after your ride, do the "safety dance".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    And after your ride, do the "safety dance".
    Same thing I do.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Safety glasses for me too. Contact with leafs and small branches, the occasiomal crash amd throwing them in the camelbak without a pouch means my glasses rarely make a full season unscratched. Safety glasses fit the use and budget well.

mtbr member
    Too humid for regular safety glasses here, which is a shame, since I have unlimited supply of free ones.
    The only glasses that have worked well for me are Native Eyewear's Hardtop and Hardtop XP, though they have similar models that also have vented frames and may be just as good. I've had several over the years, and they can usually be found for $75, though I got a pair online for $47 once.

These are sunglasses, but come with extra lenses for low light use, and clear ones are available.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I just use the cheap safety glasses.

mtbr member
    The best I've had are these RIVBOS http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Come with multiple lens, don't fog up, and not very expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Is there any type of liquid or spray you can add to normal lenses?

I have Smith Parallel D Max glasses with polarized black, regular red, and clear lenses. They all suck this time of year in terms of fog. Anything below ~10-15mph they fog up terribly. I think the black lenses even have a hydrophobic coating.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post

I have Smith Parallel D Max glasses with polarized black, regular red, and clear lenses. They all suck this time of year in terms of fog. Anything below ~10-15mph they fog up terribly. I think the black lenses even have a hydrophobic coating.
    Cat Cr*p, it's a wax that makes it harder for them to fog up. I used it yesterday skiing. It seems to help, but also seems to wear off towards the end of the day.

If you are fogging up that bad and it's not -10F or something, you may need better ventilation, are you wearing too many layers and perhaps beanie/face-mask or something? We fog up easily here in Alaska, due to the low altitude (high pressure), high humidity and cold temps, and in some cases our breath can freeze instantly, but it's usually only at cold temps when you stop.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Microfibre (i.e. wicking) head scarf under my helmet made a huge difference for me because lots of the moisture on my glasses was coming from head sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by jayem View Post
    cat crap, it's a wax that makes it harder for them to fog up. I used it yesterday skiing. It seems to help, but also seems to wear off towards the end of the day.

If you are fogging up that bad and it's not -10f or something, you may need better ventilation, are you wearing too many layers and perhaps beanie/face-mask or something? We fog up easily here in alaska, due to the low altitude (high pressure), high humidity and cold temps, and in some cases our breath can freeze instantly, but it's usually only at cold temps when you stop.
    fify

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Cat Cr*p, it's a wax that makes it harder for them to fog up. I used it yesterday skiing. It seems to help, but also seems to wear off towards the end of the day.

If you are fogging up that bad and it's not -10F or something, you may need better ventilation, are you wearing too many layers and perhaps beanie/face-mask or something? We fog up easily here in Alaska, due to the low altitude (high pressure), high humidity and cold temps, and in some cases our breath can freeze instantly, but it's usually only at cold temps when you stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Microfibre (i.e. wicking) head scarf under my helmet made a huge difference for me because lots of the moisture on my glasses was coming from head sweat.
    I was using el-cheapo headbands for a little bit but they were too tight and barely covered my ears. My wife got me nice microfiber ones that cover the years better and the fogging seems to have gotten worse. Only one ride since I got them so I hope it was a fluke. I usually don't ride below 40 degrees but this weekend it was 25-30 degrees the whole ride with some steep ~5mph climbs where it got pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    3M Securefit glasses are good. Very light and very comfortable. Relatively fog-free. 400 series have rubber nose-piece and they offer UV protection. They are made in different shades - I have clear for cloudy days and nights and reflective for sunny days. The reflective is interesting - it looks almost clear with light mirror effect, but is very efficient for blocking the sun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Too humid for regular safety glasses here, which is a shame, since I have unlimited supply of free ones.
    The only glasses that have worked well for me are Native Eyewear's Hardtop and Hardtop XP, though they have similar models that also have vented frames and may be just as good. I've had several over the years, and they can usually be found for $75, though I got a pair online for $47 once.

These are sunglasses, but come with extra lenses for low light use, and clear ones are available.
    This- excellent glasses and great warranty too.

mtbr member
    safetyglasses.com
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    safetyglasses.com
    I get mine via my brother who is a machinist and gets them from work. He even custom grinds the arms that curve over 3/4 of the ear as a safety glass. To halfway like normal glasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post

You can use regular paralell (not Max) lenses in the same frame. Not many people use the clear lenses out of the set, so you can buy them on ebay. The smaller lenses dont fog nearly as easy, but they will fog still.

mtbr member
    Try this - rub a coating of bar soap, preferably without perfumes or deodorants, such as Ivory, onto both sides of the lenses. I used to use soap on my glasses playing ball on humid summer nights, and that did the trick. However, it was long time ago and I don't remember if my lenses were plastic or glass.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post

I'm in Florida, so it doesn't get much more humid than it is here. I use a pair of safety glasses with Rain-X and have had success. Occasionally I have to push them down on my nose for a second to clear up a little fog, but that's pretty rare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    I'm in Florida, so it doesn't get much more humid than it is here. I use a pair of safety glasses with Rain-X and have had success. Occasionally I have to push them down on my nose for a second to clear up a little fog, but that's pretty rare.
    It's not the humidity as much as it's the combination of cold glasses and humid air from body/breath. Worst for me in the early spring and late fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhaalgorn View Post
    Well that's your first mistake. Move!