The best eBay scam yet...- Mtbr.com

Aug 2004

The best eBay scam yet...

Check this out -- I just sold a laptop on eBay and a couple of days later I get this email:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    eBay security check: Account accessed by a third party.

Dear eBay customer,

During our regular security check we have discovered that your account might have been accessed by a third party - with or without your authorization.
    Without limiting other remedies, we may limit your activity, immediately remove your bids or item listings, warn our community of your actions, issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if:
    (a) your eBay account was accessed by a third party;
    (b) we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us; or
    (c) we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.
    To avoid suspension of your account you will complete a simple form.

Follow this link to provide concluding information about yourself ( this action requires us to verify the SOLE ownership of your eBay account ):
    http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...ame=h:h:sin:US

eBay will request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.

Thank you for using eBay!
    http://www.ebay.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I knew better, but I clicked on the link just for kicks. Normally if you look at the address bar you'll see the real URL. This one is actually slick, they're using script and putting a legit eBay address bar to cover up the actual address bar with the phony URL. It's a trip because if you resize the window and then restore, that fake eBay address bar moves to cover up the real one. The only problem is that they don't have it perfectly aligned and it's also longer than your real address bar. You can even put your cursor in the fake one. You can't right-click to get source and if you go to view/source, it doesn't give the source code. This is the slickest one -- imagine many unsuspecting eBay users out there who login. Man I hate this shite -- because I think of my pops, who uses the net, but is not savvy and he would probably fall victim to this. Of course I schooled my pops on not using a link to login, especially when they say there's possible fraud and you must verify blah blah blah -- but to instead type the URL in IE and go there directly.

Peace.

Jan 2004
    Forward all fraudulent ebay emails to [email protected]. Simply forward and don't add anything to the emails. I've gotten so many of them. Even two on the same day.

mtbr member
    for a short time, I was getting that letter all the time. Like dirtmerchant said, i just fwd them to [email protected]. I would get some from paypal, too, that had similar scam tactics. there is a [email protected] address, too. and then an annoying one from citicards that was not actual text, but an image of text. and it looked liked they used crappy jpeg compression because it was all blurry and the whole image was a bit off-axis. they text had something about giving my credit card numbers and soc # and all that other crap.

Sep 2004

me too

i had the same exact experience. sent it right to [email protected]..........farkin bastages

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Right.

PHP Code:
    <rant ontopic="false"
    It this those arrogant idots, like Bosworth and other Microsoft pricks who insisted on allowing stupid pretty hacks into our Web standards.

What could be simpler NOT TO FRIGGING ALLOW SUCH DYNAMIC CONTENT IN YOUR FRIGGING BROWSER???

You do not need hooks to put such an overlay for your web browsing experience. It is absolutely, 110% trivial to to not allow that.

But no, they think of a clever hack and "user experience" and put that in.

Idiots.

PHP Code:
    </rant

May 2004

This one has been...

Quote Originally Posted by MoeChedda

Check this out -- I just sold a laptop on eBay and a couple of days later I get this email:

eBay security check: Account accessed by a third party.

Dear eBay customer,

During our regular security check we have discovered that your account might have been accessed by a third party - with or without your authorization.
    Without limiting other remedies, we may limit your activity, immediately remove your bids or item listings, warn our community of your actions, issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if:
    (a) your eBay account was accessed by a third party;
    (b) we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us; or
    (c) we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us.
    To avoid suspension of your account you will complete a simple form.

Follow this link to provide concluding information about yourself ( this action requires us to verify the SOLE ownership of your eBay account ):
    http://signin.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayIS...ame=h:h:sin:US

eBay will request personal data (password, credit card/bank numbers, and so on) in this email.

Thank you for using eBay!
    http://www.ebay.com/

I knew better, but I clicked on the link just for kicks. Normally if you look at the address bar you'll see the real URL. This one is actually slick, they're using script and putting a legit eBay address bar to cover up the actual address bar with the phony URL. It's a trip because if you resize the window and then restore, that fake eBay address bar moves to cover up the real one. The only problem is that they don't have it perfectly aligned and it's also longer than your real address bar. You can even put your cursor in the fake one. You can't right-click to get source and if you go to view/source, it doesn't give the source code. This is the slickest one -- imagine many unsuspecting eBay users out there who login. Man I hate this shite -- because I think of my pops, who uses the net, but is not savvy and he would probably fall victim to this. Of course I schooled my pops on not using a link to login, especially when they say there's possible fraud and you must verify blah blah blah -- but to instead type the URL in IE and go there directly.

Peace.
    going around for a couple of months now. Nothing new.

Oct 2004

I got screwed! Lost a grand!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    i had the same exact experience. sent it right to [email protected]..........farkin bastages
    If you are thinking of buying a bike on eBay be very careful of an individual offering you a "Second Chance" to bid on an item that you did not win. They will send you a very realistic email that looks like it came directly from eBay and that the seller has been approved and granted purchase protection. They will tell you that the individual has money in their eBay account and it will be frozen for 30 days until you receive your item. Then they say that you must send the money via Western Union because the individual does not have Pay Pal account. The individual lives in London, England and once "John Bertini" or what ever his name is receives payment from Western Union you will never hear from him again. So be wise when you use eBay and check it through them before you send any money. I'm out $1,000.00 and my wife is pissed so I'll be riding my DBR V-link for another year or so sucks being me.....
    Negev Rider

Sep 2004
    I don't even like PayPal. I was purchasing a $40.00 globe one time and the vendor chump never sent it to me. Maybe I'm overly cautious but I wouldn't purchase anything without speaking to the vendor first and confirming their address. Anyway, when it didn't arrive in a few weeks I called the vendor again, and he assured me it was "on the way". Of course, it never made it. The mistake I made is that I didn't dispute the charge with PayPal until 32 days. After I practically begged PayPal to help me, they explained that after 30 days they won't take any action. I could see maybe 60 days but 30 is ridiculous in my opinion.

After I told PayPal that I was very displeased I disputed the charge with Amex (the best credit card to have for things like this) and they told me they'd take care of it. I never used PayPal again. Also, I was so angry about it (more because of the principle than the $) that I called this vendor 3 times a day asking him to send me the globe until after about a week the guy gave in and sent it to me (okay, I might not have been very pleasant with him). Now a year later I have the globe but I never paid for it since I inadvertently forgot to close the dispute with Amex. Revenge is sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i just got a letter yesterday insisting i "update" paypal account info or my account will be terminated......i dont HAVE a paypal account. had a link to click on but i didnt bother. i didnt know there was an ebay dept to forward this stuff to or i wouldhave

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steveit
    i just got a letter yesterday insisting i "update" paypal account info or my account will be terminated......i dont HAVE a paypal account. had a link to click on but i didnt bother. i didnt know there was an ebay dept to forward this stuff to or i wouldhave
    there is for paypal, too. [email protected]

mtbr member

I once got a phishing scam...........

for Pay Pal. I don't even have a Pay Pal account. I sent back a nasty letter with a lot of profanity as I do to any bozo that sends me crap like that, especially when they send me attachments that are so obviously viruses. I do screen everything with a software called Mailwasher. With it I can actually bounce their e-mail, This comes in handy with all the Spam I get too.

Village Dirtbag
    That Western Union to London scam was here on MTBR a couple of weeks ago...some guy selling an Epic, and offering to include shipping from London while still offering a good price, but needed Western Union since his PayPal acct. was "updating".

I reported it to Gregg, and he pulled the add.

So, if I ever do want to buy a bike from the classifieds here, how do I do it safely? Is PayPal safe?

err, 27.5+
    Yep, another day and another variant of a scam.

Quite frankly the best advice is not to ever link directly from your e-mail account to any other account. Okay, so there may be a problem with my account. I will just cruise over to that account and check. Hmmm, I don't see any problem. Delete e-mail. Life goes on.

I got a call about a week ago asking if I wanted to extend my magazine subscriptions. I said, "maybe, what magazines do you think I have to extend". Guy on the other end said he didn't have that information and I said goodbye.

If the person on the other end doesn't know anything about your account they are just fishing. Tell them to take a hike.

err, 27.5+
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    So, if I ever do want to buy a bike from the classifieds here, how do I do it safely? Is PayPal safe?
    Paypal is not safe. They have a wonderful customer service department that will "look into your problem" and will determine it to be unrecoverable. Basically they make it your problem. At that point you need to go to court to get your money back. After getting burned for a couple hundred once I am pretty careful about how I carry out paypal transactions.

For items of expense or from a seller with little feedback I make sure that the funds come from a CC. That way if there is an issue I can get the charges reversed and screw paypal if they won't help me out.

mtbr member

And on the topic of Scams.....

I have actually been receiving Pyramid scams in the postal mails and a friend of mine got the "Nigerian money laundering scam" in the postal mail too. On the e-mail I bounce and give nasty responses. The postal mail gets recycled into my printer if the back side is blank.

Village Dirtbag
    So are you saying there is no reasonably safe way to buy a bike long-distance online?

Absurd

This one started my monday off with a laugh

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't like e-bay and really don't care for pay-pal.
    My understanding is both have the same owner.
    I don't care for their politics and policies.
    I've had good luck disputing claims through CCs in the past and that's my prefered method of payment. I'm pretty leary of making purchases online.