Results 1 to 99 of 99
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtfun4bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    61

    Best earphones to wear while riding

    I enjoy listening to music while riding. I currently wear Bose earphones and they sound great. However, when wearing a helmet, the earphones are pushed into my ears and become painful after awhile. I am looking for good quality earphones that have low profile. Does anyone have any suggestions.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    23,627
    none

  3. #3
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    none



    / thread
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  4. #4
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    none
    Those must be really comfortable, like you're not wearing any at all!
    Cool heads prevail

  5. #5
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,634
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Those must be really comfortable, like you're not wearing any at all!
    Yeah, and the sound is soooo natural and realistic. I concur with Harold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

  6. #6
    IPA tester
    Reputation: Dirtrider127's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    none
    I use the same brand and love 'em. Doesn't need batteries either.
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

    -Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,538
    Westone UM-1 are very good. These are in-ear sound blocking earphones. If that's what you want, these will do it. Westone has more higher level more expensive models too. I use them road riding on occasion and they block wind noise very well allowing me to run the volume low and still hear ambient sounds, albeit substantially attenuated. Some will point out this is dangerous, and they're right. I've been hit, run over, and killed three times, but I think it's worth it. I haven't yet used them mtbing as I find mtbing less boring and tedious than road riding and, as such, not in need of audio augmentation.
    Do the math.

  8. #8
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,548
    If you feel your back tire getting buzzed, it's me and I need to pass, and you can't hear me screaming at you.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    378
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    none
    Lighter than air too.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtfun4bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Westone UM-1 are very good. These are in-ear sound blocking earphones. If that's what you want, these will do it. Westone has more higher level more expensive models too. I use them road riding on occasion and they block wind noise very well allowing me to run the volume low and still hear ambient sounds, albeit substantially attenuated. Some will point out this is dangerous, and they're right. I've been hit, run over, and killed three times, but I think it's worth it. I haven't yet used them mtbing as I find mtbing less boring and tedious than road riding and, as such, not in need of audio augmentation.
    Killed 3 times? What does it take to come back from the dead? I need some of that.

    I am not necessarily looking for sound blocking, but something that fits comfortably in the ear with a helmet on. Right now, my helmet seems to be pushing on the earphones causing pain. Thanks

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    910
    I was considering these bone conduction headphones...

    AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Mini Wireless Headphones

    May be worth considering.
    Last edited by ctxcrossx; 01-14-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Go

  12. #12
    searchin for Animal Chin
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    804
    Just get a bluetooth speaker. No one will mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  13. #13
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    I have fun trying to pass them.
    Last edited by Cleared2land; 01-15-2018 at 05:52 AM.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,543
    What Harold said.

  15. #15
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,384
    Around here, the best earphones are the ones that can easily be used in only one ear.

    Best earphones to wear while riding-0427162001.jpg

  16. #16
    Give'er!
    Reputation: MCHB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    494
    90% of my riding is at night when the trail is abondoned so feel no ill regard toward using earbuds; mine are a basic set of sony ones and they work well enough. If I'm riding during the day when I know I won't be the only one out, most (android) phones will have a "mono audio" widget that works wonders.

  17. #17
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,096
    Consider a wind noise muffler, so you don't have to jack the volume up. Some terrible earbuds sound even worse at high volume.

    I just get by with whatever cheap ones I have (under $10). I clip one bud off to leave no doubt, as I ride the road too. They all sound crappy compared to what I got at home, and the costlier stuff tends to be bulkier and heavier, affecting fit, comfort, and increasing wind noise. I just aim for ones that aren't HiFi enhanced, as I dislike heavily boosted treble and bass. Sony's a safe bet.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

  18. #18
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    On trails I use brand ZERO better and cheaper than none.

    Sometimes on road rides, yes. Usually low traffic times, and mostly horse trails etc. I have some wireless from Amazon that work well..not sure on the brand.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,163
    I just sing. Also do a pretty mean cappella drum solo. Workin on my cappella wind instruments, sax is coming along. Been a long time air guitar player and like to bust it out at completely inappropriate times like funerals or mid conversation with a stranger.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    69
    Try these, they even have a subwoofer.

    Best earphones to wear while riding-16-1-1-.jpg

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,230
    Oh jeez, the musical butt plug again
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twd953's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    806
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Oh jeez, the musical butt plug again
    Huh.....wouldn't that like.....muffle the sound? Sound quality would definitely be $h!t afterwards!

  23. #23
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,521
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Huh.....wouldn't that like.....muffle the sound? Sound quality would definitely be $h!t afterwards!
    Itís meant to vibrate through your body via cavity bass.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  24. #24
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    Huh.....wouldn't that like.....muffle the sound? Sound quality would definitely be $h!t afterwards!
    No pun...
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    355
    I'd use the type made for riding where it's like a small speaker on the inside of your helmet. They allow you to hear what's going on around you which is important for safety and not annoying others, crashing into their dog, or them, etc, because you were blasting Motorhead and didn't know they were there.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,373
    I use Trekz Titanium. The technology works. I can listen to music but still hear animals, hikers, and bikers with no issue whatsoever.

    These do not cover your ear so you can hear your surroundings, and also aren't really audible for people nearby.

  27. #27
    Chilling out
    Reputation: bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,969
    If you gotta, I'd suggest something design for single ear operation such as the XDU by Far End. I use them when I don't want just sounds of nature, but I don't ever want to be completely cut off acoustically from my surroundings for lots of reasons (some of which have been helpfully pointed out).

    XDU™ Single Earphones - Far End Gear™ Products for outdoor enthusiasts - earbuds, earphones, and earbud sport grips.

    You can use it with their "budlocks" for a more secure fit without having something that needs to be super tightly stuffed in your ear canal.

    Comes with or without microphone, so it'll work as a hands-free to your phone if you want.

    If you don't want to be hard wired to your phone just get a little bluetooth receiver.

    * I don't have any other affiliation with Far End other than as a customer, just happy with the product, and you asked.

  28. #28
    EMBA Member
    Reputation: Ladmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,866
    How I roll.

    Best earphones to wear while riding-bike-speakers.jpg

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,735
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfun4bill View Post
    Killed 3 times? What does it take to come back from the dead? I need some of that.

    I am not necessarily looking for sound blocking, but something that fits comfortably in the ear with a helmet on. Right now, my helmet seems to be pushing on the earphones causing pain. Thanks
    Is it your helmet or the straps? I run Skullcandys, and run my straps in such a way that they do not interfere with the buds.

    FWIW, I've been riding on and off road for 20+ years with buds and haven't encountered any issues as a result. Prior to the Ipod and iphone era, I used to carry around a friggin' Discman in my jersey.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  30. #30
    Thinking about riding.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If you feel your back tire getting buzzed, it's me and I need to pass, and you can't hear me screaming at you.
    Excellent! I love when I run into (hopefully not literally) those people. After 30 seconds or so I start yelling some really weird stuff just because I can.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    585
    Not telling you what to do but what you can't hear will hurt you. We had a group going down a local single track, there was one person climbing up the single track which is typically the way down. The rider didn't hear us coming around a corner and 3 of us plowed into him. The same can be said about riders going downhill. If you can't hear anyone, you put you and others at risk when going at speed.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,373
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Not telling you what to do but what you can't hear will hurt you. We had a group going down a local single track, there was one person climbing up the single track which is typically the way down. The rider didn't hear us coming around a corner and 3 of us plowed into him. The same can be said about riders going downhill. If you can't hear anyone, you put you and others at risk when going at speed.
    That's why I suggested the Trekz above.

    Just a couple weeks ago for example, I was riding and listening to music and heard something over to my right in the leaves. I turned and saw a dog running through the woods and was able to slow down before he crossed in front of me. If hearing animals in leaves from a distance is possible, hearing other bikers and hikers is no issue.

    Best earphones to wear while riding-aftershokz-trekz-titanium-bone-conduction-headphones-worn.jpg

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    585
    Cool but realistically not every rider or everyone on the trail will sport these ear buds just to be mindful of others. I guess perhaps I'm going off topic but there are a lot of riders with ear buds which poses a lot of potential problems that could avoided.

  34. #34
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    I guess perhaps I'm going off topic but there are a lot of riders with ear buds which poses a lot of potential problems that should avoided.
    Fixed that
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  35. #35
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    I tried it once on a trail, and ended up putting them away. So much to focus on, trail, bike, hikers, dogs, other species, etc. (we have LOTS of hikers, no matter which local trail I choose)

    I enjoy the natural sounds, the tire/dirt sound, and just the freedom of being disconnected.

    On the road... it works ok for me given my surroundings.. but they are usually easy mellow rides. If I were doing a charity ride or a big event, then no way I would.
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dir-T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,547
    Quote Originally Posted by scaryfast View Post
    Not telling you what to do but what you can't hear will hurt you. We had a group going down a local single track, there was one person climbing up the single track which is typically the way down. The rider didn't hear us coming around a corner and 3 of us plowed into him. The same can be said about riders going downhill. If you can't hear anyone, you put you and others at risk when going at speed.
    So, does "typically the way down" mean that you're allowed to ride it in either direction or is it signed as a one-way trail? 'Cause, if the first is true, it was your fault for riding too fast in a spot with limited site distance. Uphill riders have right away, control your speed, and don't assume that anyone can HEAR you before you crash into them, deaf folks ride too.

  37. #37
    Trail Ninja
    Reputation: Varaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5,096
    Lyrics are distracting, at least ones you can understand. They subconsciously redirect your focus/attention.

    There was once a famous test where interrogators were able to tell if someone, suspected to be a spy, understood Russian or some other language, by having them read out the colors of words:

    Name:  stroop-test.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  25.1 KB

    If they could understand the language, it would be extremely hard to do this test with speed.

    Name:  stroop_effect_Russian.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  23.5 KB

    In other words, in order to play nice regarding sharing the trail with others while enjoying music, perhaps make a playlist with music without lyrics. Instrumentals, classical, soundtracks, ambient sound... such music actually can improve focus.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    I was considering these bone conduction headphones...

    AfterShokz Trekz Titanium Mini Wireless Headphones

    May be worth considering.
    Been using them for years! Comfortable, good sound, and best of all I can hear people/things around me at any given time! They stand behind their product also!

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,417
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Around here, the best earphones are the ones that can easily be used in only one ear.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0427162001.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	189.1 KB 
ID:	1178098
    I wish we had signs like that at my riding spots.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    585
    That's fair. In my 30+ years riding the trail, I've only seen hikers and this one biker coming up the hill. It's off the radar so there's no single direction. That said, I hope that users would set each other up for success and not do things that could potential compromise each others safety.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,735
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Lyrics are distracting, at least ones you can understand. They subconsciously redirect your focus/attention.

    There was once a famous test where interrogators were able to tell if someone, suspected to be a spy, understood Russian or some other language, by having them read out the colors of words:

    Name:  stroop-test.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  25.1 KB

    If they could understand the language, it would be extremely hard to do this test with speed.

    Name:  stroop_effect_Russian.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  23.5 KB

    Stroop Effect and selective attention...
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    That's why I suggested the Trekz above.

    Just a couple weeks ago for example, I was riding and listening to music and heard something over to my right in the leaves. I turned and saw a dog running through the woods and was able to slow down before he crossed in front of me. If hearing animals in leaves from a distance is possible, hearing other bikers and hikers is no issue.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aftershokz-trekz-titanium-bone-conduction-headphones-worn.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	1178415
    Do they fit under a d3?
    Want them for the exact same reason but i had bad experience trying to fit earphones under my helmet

  43. #43
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I'm a bit in agreement here. Such freakin' snowflakes on the trail. I once had a guy get grouchy with me because I was listening to music on my iPhone with the phone speakers (not headphones). The people I was riding with told me that they needed to be within about 20 feet of me before they could even hear it. So, it seems to me that if music that can't be heard past 20 feet is intrusive, what about people having a conversation? Should they be told to shut up while on the trail? What about bikes with loud pawls in the hub?
    Should they have to replace them?

    It's a big trail. If you don't like what you hear, just keep pedaling. It will go away in a few seconds.


    I shouldn't have to be subjected to your poor choices in music in the first place.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  44. #44
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,359
    Use a pair of these , no need for a helmet !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Best earphones to wear while riding-iu.jpeg  

    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  45. #45
    Music & Bikes
    Reputation: fokof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    ..... perhaps make a playlist with music without lyrics. Instrumentals, classical, soundtracks, ambient sound....
    I have a better suggestion:
    Instead of investing in a pair of phones for ambiant music in stereo , why not listening to the ambiant sounds ?
    It's gonna be in surround , not only 7.1 but 57.7 !
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    I'm a bit in agreement here. Such freakin' snowflakes on the trail. I once had a guy get grouchy with me because I was listening to music on my iPhone with the phone speakers (not headphones). The people I was riding with told me that they needed to be within about 20 feet of me before they could even hear it. So, it seems to me that if music that can't be heard past 20 feet is intrusive, what about people having a conversation? Should they be told to shut up while on the trail? What about bikes with loud pawls in the hub?
    Should they have to replace them?

    It's a big trail. If you don't like what you hear, just keep pedaling. It will go away in a few seconds.
    There are a lot of extremely stressed out people in this country. Spending time biking in the woods might be the very limited amount of time they get away from all of the noise and stress. Music has a way of triggering emotion and your sense of hearing that conversations and a loud freehub do not. For someone described above a little music they really don't want to listen to could set them off pretty easily.

    You could say "that's their problem and not mine" or you could be curtious to people seeking a taste of solitude by just use one ear bud. Personally I'd rather people use two ear buds and being deaf to the outside world than to have music playing out loud in the woods.

  47. #47
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,729
    I use the MPOW Jaws bluetooth headset. Can't stand long wires.

  48. #48
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    I shouldn't have to be subjected to your poor choices in music in the first place.
    And I should not be subjected to your mindless, schoolyard mentality on this and other topics, yet here you are.

  49. #49
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    There are a lot of extremely stressed out people in this country. Spending time biking in the woods might be the very limited amount of time they get away from all of the noise and stress. Music has a way of triggering emotion and your sense of hearing that conversations and a loud freehub do not. For someone described above a little music they really don't want to listen to could set them off pretty easily.

    You could say "that's their problem and not mine" or you could be curtious to people seeking a taste of solitude by just use one ear bud. Personally I'd rather people use two ear buds and being deaf to the outside world than to have music playing out loud in the woods.
    I see. It's the "there's a lot of people who..." argument. That argument always fails unless it acknowledges to other side of that coin. There are a lot of people who are relaxed, stimulated, or otherwise enjoy music when they ride. So you would deprive them of their enjoyment for their entire ride just to placate a snowflake who may hear his music for a few seconds. Hardly seems equitable.

  50. #50
    Bicycles aren't motorized
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    And I should not be subjected to your mindless, schoolyard mentality on this and other topics, yet here you are.



    Yet you continue to respond with your selfish "me first, screw everyone else" theater. Who has the mindless, schoolyard mentality?
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

  51. #51
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_bo View Post
    And I should not be subjected to your mindless, schoolyard mentality on this and other topics, yet here you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Yet you continue to respond with your selfish "me first, screw everyone else" theater. Who has the mindless, schoolyard mentality?
    Exactly. Jim-Bo has been perma banned. His behavior over the past months has shown he is not capable of having a rational discussion without resorting to insults. I tried to be flexible with him, but this here is a testament that he will not change.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5,075
    Ban bin. Hmm. Earbuds? Whatever. I just listen to the trees and the all so important tires, just before they break loose or the stick in spokes. Speaker on the bars, just no.

  53. #53
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,918
    I love music, and have tried mtb with earbuds (one), I got annoyed, and more tired. I love the natural sounds, and I'm focused on not falling, ended up turning them off, and things just felt better.

    On the road, or my local rail trails, or farting around the hood, not such a big deal, and I bring them along.

    Personally, I wouldn't want to impose my music on others, whether is 20seconds or 5min.

    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sage of the Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    412
    Courtesy of the Velominati-

    Rule #62 // You shall not ride with earphones.
    Cycling is about getting outside and into the elements and you donít need to be listening to Queen or Slayer in order to experience that. Immerse yourself in the rhythm and pain, not in whatever 80ís hair band you call ďmusicĒ. See Rule #5 and ride your bike.


    All kidding aside, I donít use headphones. I much prefer the hum and crackle of my tires as they cross various surfaces...
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    978
    Airpods for me. They're very comfortable and secure, and if necessary I can answer the phone. I'm more likely to wear them road biking than mountain biking.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    Do they fit under a d3?
    Want them for the exact same reason but i had bad experience trying to fit earphones under my helmet
    I have a pair and I don't think it would work well (assuming that the D3 is a full face helmet). The wrap around part of the headphones doesn't conform to the profile of your head. In fact, I am trying to figure out a solution to use these with a balaclava in the winter. When I tried it initially, it was just too uncomfortable and awkward to work.

    There may be a solution, however. In the winter months, I have used Giro Tune Ups, which are speaker pads that fit inside helmet ear padding. They don't go in the ear, so I was still able to have conversations, etc without adjusting volume. They may have something specific or you may be able to mod an existing product like that to fit your needs.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    I have a pair and I don't think it would work well (assuming that the D3 is a full face helmet). The wrap around part of the headphones doesn't conform to the profile of your head. In fact, I am trying to figure out a solution to use these with a balaclava in the winter. When I tried it initially, it was just too uncomfortable and awkward to work.

    There may be a solution, however. In the winter months, I have used Giro Tune Ups, which are speaker pads that fit inside helmet ear padding. They don't go in the ear, so I was still able to have conversations, etc without adjusting volume. They may have something specific or you may be able to mod an existing product like that to fit your needs.
    Thing is i don't want to disturb people :/ some riders might not appreciate me blasting heavy metal on the trail lol.
    Bone conduction would've been so perfect for this.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    910
    Quote Originally Posted by tirrorex View Post
    Thing is i don't want to disturb people :/ some riders might not appreciate me blasting heavy metal on the trail lol.
    Bone conduction would've been so perfect for this.
    If you get the helmet speakers you wouldn't disturb anyone. No one else would come close to hearing it. Think of them like those cheap headphones from the 90s with the foam pads.....but they're thin enough to fit in your helmet (and no metal or mastic bridge connecting them).

  59. #59
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Stravalavadingdong...



    #thatguy

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Earbuds lead to hearing loss so I donít wear any ever. I also like the sound of my Chris King bees singing to me.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Exactly. Jim-Bo has been perma banned. His behavior over the past months has shown he is not capable of having a rational discussion without resorting to insults. I tried to be flexible with him, but this here is a testament that he will not change.
    Thanks, I think he is back as craigsr or something like that.

    I like to play my iphone in my pack, in a pocket that is right by the back of my head. Really low so I can only hear it on climbs and when I am stopped. If I stop at a place with a bunch of people I will turn it off or lower it more.
    I like to listen to giants games sometimes when I ride and I know that would annoy a bunch of people.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  62. #62
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    I like to listen to giants games sometimes when I ride and I know that would annoy a bunch of people.
    Could be worse. Sincerely,

    - Padres fan -
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Could be worse. Sincerely,

    - Padres fan -

    Could be better, Sincerely,

    Cubs fan

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Could be better, Sincerely,

    Cubs fan
    3 this decade to 1 this century


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    3 this decade to 1 this century


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Youíre recent championships should have syringe next to them.

    I did enjoy watching the cubs spank the giants the year we won the World Series.... that was real nice!

  66. #66
    searchin for Animal Chin
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    804
    Could really be worse.......

    -Mariners fan-
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Try these, they even have a subwoofer.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16 - 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	1178228
    Boy you can reaaaallllly feel the bass!

    J-

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Youíre recent championships should have syringe next to them.

    I did enjoy watching the cubs spank the giants the year we won the World Series.... that was real nice!
    WTF?
    We could have beaten you if we had a closer. We were the best team in baseball until the all star break that year, then we were the worst team in baseball over the next year and a half. Syringe though, what are you talking about?

    Yikes Mariners.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    WTF?
    We could have beaten you if we had a closer. We were the best team in baseball until the all star break that year, then we were the worst team in baseball over the next year and a half. Syringe though, what are you talking about?

    Yikes Mariners.
    Iím talking about the syringe that Mr. Cheater Bonds used to cheat the game. That syringe.

    The best team at the all star break doesnít mean sh*t.... itís the best team in October that matters.

  70. #70
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,045
    That's pretty odd reasoning, since Bonds' last MLB appearance was in 2007 -- 3 years before the Giants' first of 3 WS titles.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    ó Winston Churchill

  71. #71
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,521
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Stravalavadingdong...



    #thatguy
    LOL
    Clueless
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    That's pretty odd reasoning, since Bonds' last MLB appearance was in 2007 -- 3 years before the Giants' first of 3 WS titles.
    Wow, I could have swore bonds won a WS. That said. The guy is still a cheat, cheated the game and cheated all of the players that played the game the right way.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Wow, I could have swore bonds won a WS. That said. The guy is still a cheat, cheated the game and cheated all of the players that played the game the right way.
    What if he just electrified his bat a little bit?
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  74. #74
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer View Post
    Stravalavadingdong...



    #thatguy
    Yikes, that sorta a thing is a cancer to the sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Thanks, I think he is back as craigsr or something like that.
    Sock Accounts are strictly forbidden. I will let an admin know so they can track and ban his posting IP's.

    Funny I got some neg rep for explaining why Jim_Bo was banned..... it had nothing to do with my personal beliefs, he was temp banned once a long time ago for hurling insults and got the perma ban for resorting to the same tactics. personal attacks on other users of this site are never allowed, and ignoring a strong warning like a 7-day time out will lead to a perma ban. If you feel you can do a better job of Moderating please contact the site admins and volunteer your services.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    What if he just electrified his bat a little bit?
    Riding an e bike is not cheating. Racing an e bike against others not on an e bike is cheating. You do understand that premise?

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfgiantsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,965
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Riding an e bike is not cheating. Racing an e bike against others not on an e bike is cheating. You do understand that premise?
    Steroids were not illegal when all those guys started taking them. Bonds was never caught using them either, so....
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

  77. #77
    mtb'er
    Reputation: Empty_Beer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Yikes, that sorta a thing is a cancer to the sport..
    Which sport?


  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jeremy3220's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    946
    I came up on a trail runner this weekend with ear buds. I eventually reached max volume while yelling and when that didn't work I had to ride up on the bank next to him before he realized I was there. It was a little surreal to be screaming at the back of someone's head with them totally unaware.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Steroids were not illegal when all those guys started taking them. Bonds was never caught using them either, so....
    Taking steroids to enhance performance is cheating wether allowed or not. IMO. hank Aaron is the all time home leader, the era of Bonds, Sosa, McGwire donít count. If Hank used steroids he would have hit 1000 goners. End of story

  80. #80
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    A bunch of wannabe jocks arguing over ball and stick sports is way worse than earphones on the trail.
    Cool heads prevail

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    How I roll.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike speakers.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	1178377
    That kickstand is legit!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  82. #82
    Interplanetary Poultry
    Reputation: scatterbrained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    349
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I came up on a trail runner this weekend with ear buds. I eventually reached max volume while yelling and when that didn't work I had to ride up on the bank next to him before he realized I was there. It was a little surreal to be screaming at the back of someone's head with them totally unaware.
    Pretty much every day out here in Socal. Ugh. Despite having an obnoxious bell that makes me sound like an angry trail fairy, Very few people seem to notice it. The amount of trail runners I've encountered with earbuds in, running the trails backwards. . . . .
    Editor In Chief, "Internet Tough Guy Magazine"
    "Home of Chuck Norris' Keyboard"

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    610
    This thread didn't disappoint, rapidly disintegrated into mudslinging and name calling

  84. #84
    Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Reputation: chuckha62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,013
    Lately, I've been seeing a guy with a bluetooth speaker in his bottle cage entertaining all of us. At first, I was annoyed because I generally disagree with it. When I thought about it a little more I decided, meh... what the hell, it doesn't have to affect me.

    It was shitty techno too. Oh well.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

  85. #85
    Upcyclist
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,017
    Cool heads prevail

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ALimon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    A bunch of wannabe jocks arguing over ball and stick sports is way worse than earphones on the trail.
    Are you sure about that? My good friend is an audiologist. He says todays generation will all be wearing hearing aids much sooner than later simply because of ear buds. Itís kind of funny to me to see riders wearing helmets and protection when they ride, but not choosing to protect their ears. Keep on with those ear buds and you wonít be able to hear anyone arguing about anything 😂

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: popsjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    I would not wear them. Might not hear a horn or that one hot car burning rubber behind you. At least if you hear danger you might have a plan to get out of danger. Years ago here in town a car went out of control and hit a bicyclist and he never heard what was coming. He did not survive.
    MONGOOSE LEDGE 3.1 29ER 2013
    DIAMONDBACK RECOIL COMP 29ER 2013
    MOTOBECANE FANTOM DS COMP 29ER 2018

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cuyuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by popsjr View Post
    I would not wear them. Might not hear a horn or that one hot car burning rubber behind you. At least if you hear danger you might have a plan to get out of danger. Years ago here in town a car went out of control and hit a bicyclist and he never heard what was coming. He did not survive.
    Definitely could be a problem when riding the shoulders of a highway. Much less of an issue on paved biking trails and especially mountain bike trails.

    I have about a 4 mile ride on the shoulder of a county highway to get to a point where I can hop on the local paved trail network, which in turn takes me to the various mountain bike trails. I'm pleased to note that they are almost done excavating a a paved extension route to that paved trail which will start about 1/4 mile from my house. When completed, I'll be able to readily and safely access many miles of paved trails for my road bike, or ride that paved trail to many miles of singletrack, all right from my house.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FLYINW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    81
    Time to the the speaker on the bars and put in the ear buds and go for a ride.

  90. #90
    Not helpful.
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    15,506
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYINW View Post
    Time to the the speaker on the bars and put in the ear buds and go for a ride.
    Name:  TheThe.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  41.5 KB
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    I'd use the type made for riding where it's like a small speaker on the inside of your helmet. They allow you to hear what's going on around you which is important for safety and not annoying others, crashing into their dog, or them, etc, because you were blasting Motorhead and didn't know they were there.
    since this thread was off the rails to begin with, i'd just like to take the opportunity to say 'f*ck people bringing their dogs to the ride, you are an arrogant ass for making others avoid your stupid mutt'

    as for the original topic; i'd like some good comfy earbuds as well, cause the ear phones (over the ear) i use don't fit under my new full face & now i'm resigned to implants , which i don't like, but i enjoy riding with tunes so i'm on the hunt & it brought me to this trainwreck of a thread

    & to all the haters ... i will still be chill when i have to pass you on the way down
    New Bike Tech: It's almost like cheating. Really awesome cheating.

  92. #92
    Magically Delicious
    Reputation: Cleared2land's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,336
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    i'd just like to take the opportunity to say 'f*ck people bringing their dogs to the ride, you are an arrogant ass for making others avoid your stupid mutt'

    & to all the haters ... i will still be chill when i have to pass you on the way down
    There's a contradiction in there somewhere...
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

    Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    33
    Bose SoundSport, they let enough sound in where I can have a conversation with a riding buddy while listening to some music. Im all for being aware of your surroundings, so I keep the volume down.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    since this thread was off the rails to begin with, i'd just like to take the opportunity to say 'f*ck people bringing their dogs to the ride, you are an arrogant ass for making others avoid your stupid mutt'

    as for the original topic; i'd like some good comfy earbuds as well, cause the ear phones (over the ear) i use don't fit under my new full face & now i'm resigned to implants , which i don't like, but i enjoy riding with tunes so i'm on the hunt & it brought me to this trainwreck of a thread

    & to all the haters ... i will still be chill when i have to pass you on the way down

    Oh I agree with you about the arrogance...like all those asshats out there treating every ride like it's a race and being soooo arrogant when they encounter you on the trail.
    You know, like public trails that marked as two-way.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by inner ted View Post
    since this thread was off the rails to begin with, i'd just like to take the opportunity to say 'f*ck people bringing their dogs to the ride, you are an arrogant ass for making others avoid your stupid mutt'

    as for the original topic; i'd like some good comfy earbuds as well, cause the ear phones (over the ear) i use don't fit under my new full face & now i'm resigned to implants , which i don't like, but i enjoy riding with tunes so i'm on the hunt & it brought me to this trainwreck of a thread

    & to all the haters ... i will still be chill when i have to pass you on the way down
    Cuz it's all about you!

  96. #96
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,521
    Some of these threads should come with a bag of popcorn as the price of admission.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,544
    to the op

    I like the gummy brand ear buds, stays in your ears.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    Are you sure about that? My good friend is an audiologist. He says todays generation will all be wearing hearing aids much sooner than later simply because of ear buds. Itís kind of funny to me to see riders wearing helmets and protection when they ride, but not choosing to protect their ears. Keep on with those ear buds and you wonít be able to hear anyone arguing about anything 
    Because earbuds leak a lot and so people tend to turn them up to a dangerous level.

    Best earphones to wear while riding-decibel_exposure_chart.gif

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    144
    This should do:
    Name:  mail.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  5.0 KB
    "I may not be fast descending, but I'm pretty slow climbing."

Similar Threads

  1. Garmin Edge & BT Earphones FAIL?
    By csgaraglino in forum GPS, HRM and Bike Computer
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 10:06 AM
  2. Do you wear rings while riding?
    By voghan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 09-16-2015, 04:26 PM
  3. Earphones in Kincaid
    By Jayem in forum Alaska
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 02:41 PM
  4. Anybody wear a kidney belt while riding?
    By IWreckALot in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-20-2012, 10:29 PM
  5. Do you wear glasses while riding ?
    By twistedmentality in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 09-30-2011, 11:46 AM

Members who have read this thread: 254

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.