mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Best bike building tutorials?

Doing my first bike build and interested in what the best online tutorials might be. My first thought is to use Park Tool of course but wanted to see if there was others that might be better for doing a full build.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by svinyard View Post
    Doing my first bike build and interested in what the best online tutorials might be. My first thought is to use Park Tool of course but wanted to see if there was others that might be better for doing a full build.

thanks!
    A member here has started a bike build series on youtube: http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-di...e-1075223.html. The park tools videos are great too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Back in the day when I built my superlight (2000) it was both easier and harder. Easier because there were less options (head tube sizes, BB sizes, wheel sizes, cassette sizes, etc) to choose from so it made shopping for it a snap versus today.

Harder because there were not youtube videos of everything you would ever want to do.

Biggest thing to do is get yourself a good set of tools (both bike specific and general). Good does not mean expensive either. Just make sure you have the right tool for the job and don't shortcut with an alternative tool. Also, have a good bike shop on call for anything you don't feel comfortable with like pressing headset cups and such).

Building a bike from the frame up is one of the most rewarding things as a mountain biker and gives you a whole new connection to your ride. I built mine in 2000 and it is still with me and my only ride (don't ride that much anymore but will be hard pressed to let this one go).

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I have the tools and now I have the parts, digging into these videos etc. Thanks everyone! I have a stable of bikes for our family so I figured I might as well become the family mechanic. Gotta keep the Groms riding hard