Beryllium Frame- Mtbr.com

Thread: Beryllium Frame

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Beryllium Frame

Does anybody remember that frame? Where can I fine info about it?

Thanks, Steve Frew

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Beyond

I remember the companies name was "Beyond Bikes" and they were in Minnesota...saw one at Interbike (old Aneheim days). I remember reading their building was burglurized a few years ago, with one of those Berylium bikes being stolen (pretty good reward offered) The frames had Berylium tubes, bonded to alluminum lugs, with the lugs adding substantial weight. The hope was to create a Berylium alloy that could be welded, then it would be light. The toxicity of Berylium was always a hot topic, if you inhale like a micron of the stuff it can kill you, or something like that.
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    I don't remember what the name of those guys was, but I fondled the frame at Interbike. That was an example of the immediate post-cold war wackiness that was so much fun to watch. A super light and rigid material, it has this interesting, yellowish cast to it. The tubes were rolled and bonded with a visible seam, because it's so harsh on dies that they couldn't/didn't extrude it. It's also deadly in even small amounts of dust when ingested or respirated, prone to shattering like ceramic when nicked (the mtb tubes were also coated for abrasion resistance) and damn expensive.

I think that, to this day, beryllium remains better suited for space-based applications, etc...

Jan 2004

Forget about it,

That stuff is horrible. We worked with it in the Navy and one day they took it from us with no explanations. Later we found out is was a carcinogen, seen a lot of people with bone cancer, liver problems, and pancreatic cancer. That stuff is no good, no good for anything if you ask me.

Mar 2004

Univega Boralite

Wasn't the Boralite some sort of Beryllium matrix?

mtbr member

American Bicycle

I live about 60 miles north of St. Cloud, MN where American Bicycle was located. They made the Moutaineus (adjustable head angle), Comp Lite, M-16 (16" stays) and the E.L.F (extra long front). Most were polished but they also anodized some. They made the prototype Berylium frame and also a M-16 with a bunch of holes drilled thru the tubes to save weight (swiss cheese style). A pretty innovative company in it's day. I owned a few of their bikes and even raced their bmx bike called the Race Tech. I traded my Mantis Pro Floater for a one off M-16 anodized with custom geometry in '93. I wish I had that Pro Floater back today.

Mar 2004

I rode that bike

visited Fred Schilplin at his lakeside home, rode the Beryllium bike on some trails near a quarry somewhere near the factory. Light, rigid, but it had the world's most rigid rigid fork, ti blades the diameter of my wrist, almost anyways. I think the one I rode got sold to someone in Singapore or Malaysia, someplace like that, for $36,000 if I recall.
    I got an American polished 6061 tandem in my garage that's for sale; med/sm, custom built to my specs with a nice long stoker TT, I've been cannibalizing parts off it so it needs rings and BBs, come to Durango and take it home.

Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    visited Fred Schilplin at his lakeside home, rode the Beryllium bike on some trails near a quarry somewhere near the factory. Light, rigid, but it had the world's most rigid rigid fork, ti blades the diameter of my wrist, almost anyways. I think the one I rode got sold to someone in Singapore or Malaysia, someplace like that, for $36,000 if I recall.
    I got an American polished 6061 tandem in my garage that's for sale; med/sm, custom built to my specs with a nice long stoker TT, I've been cannibalizing parts off it so it needs rings and BBs, come to Durango and take it home.
    The value of your bike to me, 0....trip to Durango to see it, priceless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Aerospace

I work in the aerospace industry overhauling small gas turbine engines and quite a few of the parts in the engines have copper/beryllium alloy parts. We just had a meeting with our manager who told us of the dangers of handling beryllium and I was trying to get all of the info on that metal that I can. I have been aware of the hazard since I can remember and am always amazed at how we surround ourselves with dangerous stuff.

I have sanded, ground and filed on the copper/beryllium alloy parts for almost 28 years now. I think that I have taken reasonable precautions in handling the material. Monday I am going to my doctor for blood tests to see if I have any bad reaction to the nasty metal.

Steve Frew