Thread: Beach cruisers

searchin for Animal Chin

Beach cruisers

Do you have one? Do you like it?

We spent the last weekend in Huntington Beach and rented some beach cruisers and rode around a few hours. The Mrs loved it and wanted to take it home, I'll admit I had a great time riding around too. Went to the store, out for lunch, and up and down the trails just cruising around. So comfy and relaxed

I think I'll add a couple bikes to Santa's list this year. They're pretty cheap too it looks like.

Or is it just dumb to have one when you're not at the beach........
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Upcyclist
    Go vintage!

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ad-154717.html (Too bad alota pics are dead)

I'd consider building something if I had the time. Wouldn't be that hard to piece one together I'd imagine. Look on CL.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

Cycologist
    If you're just cruising around on flat terrain, they are fun but I wouldn't want to climb much on one or try to cover a long distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Go vintage!

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...ad-154717.html (Too bad alota pics are dead)

I'd consider building something if I had the time. Wouldn't be that hard to piece one together I'd imagine. Look on CL.
    Cool but dang yeah alot of pics gone. I'd like to stay simple single speed coaster brake, something like this https://www.firmstrong.com/collectio...iant=743163231

will look around for some vintage stuff too

Oh almost forgot how to use a coaster brake too lol funny stuff!

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    If you're just cruising around on flat terrain, they are fun but I wouldn't want to climb much on one or try to cover a long distance.
    Our hood is kinda sorta flat shouldn't be a problem. There were some steep parking lots that we had to walk up at the beach, not a big deal around here me thinks.

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    Do you have one? Do you like it?

We spent the last weekend in Huntington Beach and rented some beach cruisers and rode around a few hours. The Mrs loved it and wanted to take it home, I'll admit I had a great time riding around too. Went to the store, out for lunch, and up and down the trails just cruising around. So comfy and relaxed

I think I'll add a couple bikes to Santa's list this year. They're pretty cheap too it looks like.

Or is it just dumb to have one when you're not at the beach........
    Not dumb. There's a reason so many of these things exist and have been made over the years and are still being made. Horses for courses, as they say. If you want to go out and cruise around and have a beer and chill? It's the way to go, no worrying about getting drunk and trying to take off in the wrong gear, or remember how to clip in (or unclip!). Also, they are (compared to mountain bikes) quite inexpensive, and that makes them a great value when you consider how much fun they are or how much fun can be had cruising around on them. Also, this will save the more expensive tires on your MTB for dirt, where they are important.

PS: Nice Metal Health picture.

Professional Crastinator
    Beach cruisers-100_0865.jpg

$189 at Wal-Mart (29er 7-spd cruiser)
    I instantly cut 2# by removing the stickers.
    I like it 'cause it's shiny. Not much for beach cruising, but then I have a fatbike for that.
    It had crap brake pads, crap wheels, crap saddle, crap tires...the 165mm crank is made of cast iron I'm pretty sure. It's pretty crappy, but I actually enjoy riding it when I'm just cruising with the family. I've done 25-mile rides on it no problem. Very comfy with the aftermarket saddle (not shown) and seatpost, and much safer with the new brake pads. I do not ride it in the rain. I'm sure the bearings would seize if it got wet.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    When I lived in San Diego one of my favorite pass times was taking a beater bike cruiser and riding the beach scene. Riding the boardwalk and occasional side trail, bar hopping and just people watching can make for quite an enjoyable day. I wouldn’t buy a nice bike to do this though. A junker is the best way to go in my opinion. Beach areas are full of bike thieves and just leaving it out of sight for a minute is asking for it to be jacked. Good times though for sure.

Off topic but:
    I was once riding my $6k. mountain bike along the boardwalk in Mission Beach, SD. I stopped to take in the sights and within minutes I had a crowd of several gang banger types asking questions about it. One guy asks if he could ride it. I promptly said no, then took off. I know if I had waited any longer they would have knocked me off and the bike would have been gone.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 11-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Cycologist
    Cool but dang yeah alot of pics gone. I'd like to stay simple single speed coaster brake, something like this https://www.firmstrong.com/collectio...iant=743163231

will look around for some vintage stuff too

Oh almost forgot how to use a coaster brake too lol funny stuff!
    Get the chrome one!

I have a chrome road bike, though I'm thinking about selling it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Bikesexual
    Get the chrome one!

I have a chrome road bike, though I'm thinking about selling it.
    I vote for "matte black"
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Flat Pluto Society
    They are fricking FUN. Hackneyed word, stable, but a good bike to have in the stable. Hop on and go!

I have a newer Schwinn that was on sale because out didn't have the wooden carrier. My gain. Comfy, inexpensive.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    If you want to go out and cruise around and have a beer and chill?

PS: Nice Metal Health picture.
    That's the plan for us and thanks! I used to doodle that metal health guy all the time back in the day for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0865.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	1165255

$189 at Wal-Mart (29er 7-spd cruiser)

-F
    Sweet!

taking a beater bike cruiser and riding the beach scene.
    That's what we did, and we can do that around my neighborhood here in Vegas, should be fun. Sans beach

Get the chrome one!
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I vote for "matte black"
    No! Well maybe, these look pretty sikk Sikk Quality Bicycles - Custom Beach Cruisers, Fat Tire Cruisers, Beach Cruiser Bike

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    They are fricking FUN. Comfy, inexpensive.

Bikesexual
    That's the plan for us and thanks! I used to doodle that metal health guy all the time back in the day for some reason.

Sweet!

That's what we did, and we can do that around my neighborhood here in Vegas, should be fun. Sans beach

Yes!

No! Well maybe, these look pretty sikk Sikk Quality Bicycles - Custom Beach Cruisers, Fat Tire Cruisers, Beach Cruiser Bike

Those look sweet with the fat tires.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

searchin for Animal Chin
    Well Santa came through for us this year

I checked cl for some used ones but got tired of the cl douchyness and just ordered some new ones from Firmstrong. $300 each after some accessorizing. Man these seats are comfy!

Only problem I had is after riding a bit today I noticed on mine the outer crank bearing nut was missing, should have noticed while assembling (the cranks were already installed) had to stop and snug it up once in a while. Will have to email the co and see if they can ship me one.

Super fun! Can't wait to go out for taco night ride!

Beach cruisers-20171225_120354.jpg

Beach cruisers-20171225_120415.jpg

Beach cruisers-20171225_120431.jpg

Congrats. Eugene. There certainly are some great options in the Beach Cruiser category these days.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Flat Pluto Society
    Well Santa came through for us this year

I checked cl for some used ones but got tired of the cl douchyness and just ordered some new ones from Firmstrong. $300 each after some accessorizing. Man these seats are comfy!

Only problem I had is after riding a bit today I noticed on mine the outer crank bearing nut was missing, should have noticed while assembling (the cranks were already installed) had to stop and snug it up once in a while. Will have to email the co and see if they can ship me one.

Super fun! Can't wait to go out for taco night ride!

Name:	20171225_120354.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1174179

Name:	20171225_120415.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1174180

Name:	20171225_120431.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1174181
    Yeah, buddy! Have fun!

Bikesexual
    Very cool, enjoy! "The chief"
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

searchin for Animal Chin
    Thanks all will do! Will post up beach cruiser rides later.... 🤙

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Upcyclist
    Happy cruisin', Gene and Mrs Jeep!

Man, it looks warm enough to ride out there!!!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Here are my 2 Cruisers. The Brownish one is an Old Schwinn I bought at a yard Sale for $25. There are some spokes missing from the rear wheel, the place they connect to eh hub is physically broken. I would eventually like to buy a new wheelset and smooth tires. All I have done to it is replace the grips.

The blue one is called a Green Line, some brand I never heard of. When I used to work for a Pizza Company it was in a old Bike Rack for a few years unclaimed, so the manger let me take it and a similar white one. he just wanted them gone. I almost got a nice mens black one, but another employee claimed it and I probably did not have room in my rented SUV for it anyway, was a tight fit with 2 in there.

I cleaned up the white one, replaced a tire and gave it a tune up, sold it for $70 on facebook marketplace. was trying to sell the blue one, but then we got the baby seat for our son and she had such a good time riding it I cleaned it up, new grips, etc and it is her bike now.

So much fun to ride down at the beach or even around the neighborhood, even with some of the hills we have to climb on them.

Beach cruisers-schwin-beach-cruiser.jpg

Beach cruisers-green-line-beach-cruiser.jpg
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Here are my 2 Cruisers. The Brownish one is an Old Schwinn I bought at a yard Sale for $25. There are some spokes missing from the rear wheel, the place they connect to eh hub is physically broken. I would eventually like to buy a new wheelset and smooth tires. All I have done to it is replace the grips.

The blue one is called a Green Line, some brand I never heard of. When I used to work for a Pizza Company it was in a old Bike Rack for a few years unclaimed, so the manger let me take it and a similar white one. he just wanted them gone. I almost got a nice mens black one, but another employee claimed it and I probably did not have room in my rented SUV for it anyway, was a tight fit with 2 in there.

I cleaned up the white one, replaced a tire and gave it a tune up, sold it for $70 on facebook marketplace. was trying to sell the blue one, but then we got the baby seat for our son and she had such a good time riding it I cleaned it up, new grips, etc and it is her bike now.

So much fun to ride down at the beach or even around the neighborhood, even with some of the hills we have to climb on them.

Name:	Schwin Beach Cruiser.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	1174194

Name:	Green Line Beach Cruiser.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	1174195
    There's a Green Line Cyclery in Chico. Call 'em if you need stickers- they've got tons off 'em!

turtles make me hot
    My wife went to a big bike shop near our house once and bought herself an Electra beach cruiser. Pretty sharp looking bike. It's light blue with leather grips and saddle and a basket.
    Single speed and coaster brake and it weighs about 48 pounds. She rode it home from the shop and once more. Neighborhood kids sang the wicked witch of the west music as she rode by and she never rode it again. I honestly almost pissed myself from laughing when she told me.
    I like turtles

searchin for Animal Chin
    ^^ I'll have to remember to get a witch hat for her for Halloween next year lol.

Cool cruisers Klure!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Here is mine. It is an 1962 Schwinn cruiser that, while the frame has been kept original other that spacing out the rear drop outs to accommodates a 135mm spacing. I also cut disc brake mounts out of 1/4" aluminum plate, that bolt on the fork and rear dropouts. It uses 26" disc brake wheels, Avid BB5 brakes, a Hurricane Zeke crankset, Schwalbe Crazy Bob tires, Suntour XC rear derailleur, old XT 7 spd shifter and vintage Magura motor cycle brake levers. I found an old Western flyer springer fork that completes the look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach cruisers-fullsizeoutput_38.jpg  

Beach cruisers-img_0289.jpg  

Beach cruisers-img_0284.jpg  

EXODUX Jeff

Upcyclist

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Damn that's a sweet edit brah! Looks like the bike held up pretty well too!

Jeff that's a cool pic of the bike at Calico

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Neighborhood kids sang the wicked witch of the west music as she rode by and she never rode it again. I honestly almost pissed myself from laughing when she told me.

turtles make me hot

Yep... Very close. Thankfully, my wife is a little hotter.

I will tell you this, some cow rides up to my house looking like that and says she's taking MY dog? That movie would have had a very different ending.
    I like turtles

searchin for Animal Chin
    Still stoked!

Beach cruisers-20180812_073915.jpg

Beach cruisers-20180812_074406-effects.jpg

Name:	20171225_120354.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1174179

Name:	20171225_120415.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	1174180

Name:	20171225_120431.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	1174181
    And the bikes are even named appropriately for any fun loving couple.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Almost the beach!

Beach cruisers-20190126_132231-effects.jpg

Flat Pluto Society
    Almost the beach!

Name:	20190126_132231-EFFECTS.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	471.2 KB 
ID:	1235250
    Cruisin' in style! Thanks for the update.

searchin for Animal Chin
    Cruisin' in style! Thanks for the update.
    Hell yeah! She actually uses hers alot with her pet sitting biz, uses a thing called the bike tow leash, to pedal the doggies around by her side. Works great.

the discerning hooligan
    Here's some samples of the cruiser love on ratrodbikes….

Felt Bicycle Pics | Rat Rod Bikes

Electra Bicycle Pics | Rat Rod Bikes
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

searchin for Animal Chin
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post

Dang those Felt bikes look rad! I like the little faux gas tank look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I had one of these in high school. I loved it. I bought the bike at the flea market for about 20 bucks, sanded it to the metal and had it powder coated. Bought some new white walls and I was in business. All-in about a hundred bucks. Rode it everywhere until it got stolen. Weighed about 50 pounds, but it was flat as a board where I lived. Bikes in general are rad.

monster member
    I have a bike problem. I don't live anywhere near a beach, so why did I click on this? And now, I see some really cool beach bikes. That silver one is kick-ass! and the red one too! If I got one just for riding the boardwalk or flat ground, I have to admit I like those chopper bikes. They're just ridiculous! (Ridiculous like cool.) I mean, at the beach, a chopper bike with a margarita holder on the bars would be freakin' awesome!
    Have fun!

Flat Pluto Society
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post

Oh, fcku yeah, that Felt thread is awesome.

Oh, fcku yeah, that Felt thread is awesome.
    I’d agree with you there. Just at a glance it was awesome. Saved for future reading, thx.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Townie Electra's are cool, no need for a beach anywhere in oil country, Alberta! They are just comfortable with a relaxed sitting position. I have three, one is too nice to ride so its in storage. The one I am riding now is a Norco which was left unlocked for a week with a bike store tag on it, about 8 stalls away from their location.