mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Bars with more backsweep.

Anyone running like 11 or 12 bars? I may have asked this before, but I'm now at the point of possibly picking up a pair of sqlab bars with 12 backsweep and would love to hear if it's worth the change. I'd like a more natural position, but wanna make sure handling, climbing etc won't feel funky. Seems like a good idea so why are there very little bars in this range? .. wonder if they know something I don't. Thanks for any help.

Upcyclist
    I've only got a few rides on the 16 bars and so far I'm really liking them. Only problem is now the bars on my other bike feel as straight as a broomstick. I may have to get another bar!

I was thinking of trying the 11 Salsa Rustler, but it may feel too straight also. At half the price of the SQLabs I'm tempted tho.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yea the sqlab bars are expensive. I'm not sure I wanna spend that much, but I think I'd like to stick with carbon so it'll be a bit costly. Don't wanna make an expensive mistake though. 16 might be a bit much so I'm sold on trying 12.

mtbr member
    I like to rotate them forward so that the bar ends are angled upward too. I find it balances the forces on my wrists with less tendency to load the outside of the wrists.
    Do the math.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I like to rotate them forward so that the bar ends are angled upward too. I find it balances the forces on my wrists with less tendency to load the outside of the wrists.
    This is exactly what I did!

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Yea the sqlab bars are expensive. I'm not sure I wanna spend that much, but I think I'd like to stick with carbon so it'll be a bit costly. Don't wanna make an expensive mistake though. 16 might be a bit much so I'm sold on trying 12.
    Saw these at Bikerumor the other day. I can't remember how much the SQLabs carbon bars were, I think my chin may have dropped.

https://shop.fatbackbikes.com/sweet-16-sweep-bar.html

Elitest thrill junkie
    Salsa carbon Rustler 11 and reasonable. Just got one for it's ability to be compatible with the front carrier mount.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Watson Cycles will custom bend Ti bars. I went with the Revilator with a 31 degree bend. Now my HT is the most comfortable bike ever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was checking out that Salsa to possibly test because of the price. If you've ridden it maybe you can let me know your thoughts ..or whenever you do. Thanks

mtbr member
    I have the SQLabs 12 degree aluminum handlebar. Feels great for me!

Keep in mind that backsweep can affect reach. That might be a good thing if that is part of your goal. SQLabs 12 degree bars at full length and a 50mm stem put your hands just about in line with your steerer tube. I cut mine to 760 and my hands are about in line with the stanchions of my fork.

Some bars have a forward "wiggle" to negate the backsweep too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for that info. I was thinking about that but didn't know how far back it would bring my hands. I'll have to take a look at my bike and visualize it..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    I was checking out that Salsa to possibly test because of the price. If you've ridden it maybe you can let me know your thoughts ..or whenever you do. Thanks

Nope, its a part Ive gathered for a fat bike Im going to build next year.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I've used swept bars for years. I have 5 or 6 in my shop, ranging from 10 to 25 degrees. Ones that I rode for a long time was my Ragley Carnegie, no longer available I'm afraid. I currently use a Salsa Bend 2 on my Pony Rustler.

To answer your question, you won't know until you try them. There are less expensive options out there if you want to experiment before taking the plunge on carbon.
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:57 AM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I also have the sqlab aluminum bars on my fat bike and they are perfect for me, wanted the carbon version, but ya expensive, I find they have just the perfect amount of sweep for what I like feel wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I have the SQLabs 12 degree aluminum handlebar. Feels great for me!

Keep in mind that backsweep can affect reach. That might be a good thing if that is part of your goal. SQLabs 12 degree bars at full length and a 50mm stem put your hands just about in line with your steerer tube. I cut mine to 760 and my hands are about in line with the stanchions of my fork.

Some bars have a forward "wiggle" to negate the backsweep too.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    Watson Cycles will custom bend Ti bars. I went with the Revilator with a 31 degree bend. Now my HT is the most comfortable bike ever.
    A great option.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I actually like more sweep than 11 degrees. I am currently running Answer 20/20's and have also used Soma Clarence. I found both very comfortable and no funky handling. The only potential downside is lack of space to mount stuff on the bars like lights or computer, but I have managed to mount both.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    I actually like more sweep than 11 degrees. I am currently running Answer 20/20's and have also used Soma Clarence. I found both very comfortable and no funky handling. The only potential downside is lack of space to mount stuff on the bars like lights or computer, but I have managed to mount both.
    I had to retire my 20/20's recently because of a crash. I liked the sweep, but I found that they were too narrow (at 720mm) and too stiff for faster Pisgah downhills, so I'd been thinking about a change for awhile. They're also no longer made, so there's that. I replaced them with Chromag OSX bars, which at 8* are a notable difference. Took a ride or two to adjust to the wider, less sweepy bars, but they work well, and they do give me a bit better stability at speed.

I generally don't like upsweep on my bars, so I tend to rotate them backwards to minimize upsweep.

I have looked at the SQLabs bars in the past, and they were just too rich for my blood.

mtbr member
    I was wondering like you OP earlier this year and picked up one of the Salsa bars because they were a lot cheaper, to be honest I didn't notice a lot of difference between it and my regular 9 degree bars

I just decided to bite the bullet and got the 16 degree SQ Labs bar, got out for a decent ride today and really like it, definitely eases the pressure on my injured thumb (big part of why I got it), find because of the sweep you don't need to bend your elbows as much to get comfortable wrist position, so much better when seated and pedaling.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    My Salsa came with Rustler handlebars (11 deg back, 6 deg up, 20mm rise, 750mm wide). I didn't know they were considered high sweep, they still seem pretty straight to me. I find the angle of the grips doesn't bother me in "attack" with elbows out, but it does when simply pedaling down a road with elbows straight. That's a pretty common feeling for me on bicycles and motorcycles too. However I can get a perfectly neutral wrist feeling on this bike by putting my hands inboard of the brakes, where the bend meets the taper. I'm going to add some bar tape there. Another vote for these being nice to have with their straight middle that provides room for clamps for lights, computers, bags...

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I generally don't like upsweep on my bars, so I tend to rotate them backwards to minimize upsweep.
    Same here. I rotate a 9/5 (back/up) bar into a 12/2 and run an extra 10mm of stem.
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo
    2016 Pivot 429T
    2011 Kona Unit

Upcyclist
    Looks like Salsa has recently updated their bars: https://salsacycles.com/components/c...rs/bend_deluxe

I got my SQLabs bars for $85, so I'd only be saving a couple bucks with these.