bar plugs and falls.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

bar plugs and falls.

So I have heard stories many times of people crashing on bikes that did not have the little plastic caps on the ends of the bars and coring themselves in the stomach, leg, ect with the end of the bar! Cutting a nice round plug out just like taking a core out of an apple! Makes for a horrible and gruesome story and I have to admit I went out and spent $0.50 each to put the little end caps on my bars after hearing it, but I have never actually talked to anyone who has seen it happen. Its always one of those friend of a friend sort of things. One of those stories that starts with "I knew a guy who knew a guy who had a friend that said..."

Ever seen it happen first hand? Ever had it happen to you?
    Last edited by BobbyWilliams; 11-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I once fell low-speed, chest-first onto the end of my bar. I think I had bar plugs in then. It hurt like hell and left a long-lasting bruise. I have bar plugs on my road bikes but not on my mountain bikes any more. I use Ergon grips on my mountain bikes, which are a bit wider than standard grips, especially when looking at them from the end of the bar. I also run the grips just a millimeter or so off the end of the bar, so that if I do catch the bar during a crash, I'll hit the plastic grip, rather than the metal bar.

IME, bar plugs stay in road bars a lot more easily than in mountain bike bars. The tape on road bars helps keep the plug in, but plastic plugs going directly into a metal bar just deform and fall out at the slightest touch.

(Bar plugs are those plastic things you put into the bar, bar ends are the things that go onto the end of the bar to give you an extra hand position. Just FYI.)
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

beater
    I have lock-on grips (which I recommend) on both my bikes, so my bars have metal caps on the ends.

I've managed to injure myself with my pedals, chainrings and brake rotors, not to mention all manner of trailside obstacles, but fortunately haven't gored myself with my bars. Yay me!

Terrain Sculptor
    Yep. Happened to my son when he was about 14. He actually jammed the plug up into the bar. No stiches required but a pretty cool hole right at his sternum. We put bar ends (and plugs) on and he duplicated the accident in the same place about a year later. Got a big bruise but no gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

MoJo Moto
    Us old MX'ers put a nickel at the end of the grip.
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

Wēk Ss
    I've fallen on my bars. It's a good thing I had plugs. It hurt like hell and left a nice deep bruise.

Ride Instigator
    I actually saw a guy rescued off the trail after his thigh was impaled by a brake lever causing him to lose a LOT of blood. Dang, they even rushed him to a trauma center in a helicopter...I'll bet THAT cost him a big wad of cash!

Terrain Sculptor
    Quote Originally Posted by motopail View Post
    Thank you! One to add to my list of wise things to tell my kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    This thread might make you think about it.
    Ride.io Forum - Impaled on handlebars!
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motopail View Post
    I've been trying to cleanly install used 12 guage shells into the bars of my beater ride
    Time wounds all heels...

Flow like water
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    I've been trying to cleanly install used 12 gauge shells into the bars of my beater ride
    Used meaning reloaded, or empty?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    Used meaning reloaded, or empty?
    well, one would be far more interesting than the other...!
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    I took a fall where my front wheel taco'd on a rock, and as I went over sideways and forward, the wheel flipped so one end of the bar was in the dirt and I came down on the up end of it, cracking a rib. No doubt it would have been worse without end caps.

Little air bags like cars have that would pop out of the bar end would be cool. Wonder how much that would cost?
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Be aware you can be seriously hurt even with the caps. Last week a clients grandson took a bar to the abdomen. No puncture, but he hit it so hard his liver was severely bruised. Little guy spent most of last week in the ICU. Luckily the little guys liver is healing. Worst case scenario, he would have went under the knife and a portion of his liver would have been removed.

From what I was told, he was in front of his house and was going fairly slow. Just landed the wrong way.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by JRS73 View Post
    Be aware you can be seriously hurt even with the caps. Last week a clients grandson took a bar to the abdomen. No puncture, but he hit it so hard his liver was severely bruised. Little guy spent most of last week in the ICU. Luckily the little guys liver is healing. Worst case scenario, he would have went under the knife and a portion of his liver would have been removed.

From what I was told, he was in front of his house and was going fairly slow. Just landed the wrong way.
    Hopefully the little dude isn't turned off of bikes now. I'm just glad that he's healing on his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Professional Crastinator
    Good old Cobra grips for safety!

/jk
    And you thought Ergons were a new idea.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I landed on the bar end with a plug . I have calcified lump on my strenum and a 3/4 outline of the bars.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use the cork stoppers out of my whiskey bottles. The wooden end part snaps off when I brush the trees too close :0)

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostRing View Post
    I've been trying to cleanly install used 12 guage shells into the bars of my beater ride
    Swell idea! Any mods needed, besides cutting off the plastic?
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Duck Fonald
    A friend slipped going up a steep little grunty. Fell right on the end of his bar. I think the only thing that saved him from getting a core sample was it was winter & he was layered up. He was on his knees, moaning for a while, tho.

The only thing I could do was stand there & take pics.

No, I'm not going to post one, too hard to find. It was many, many years ago, when we both rode.
    tRump is SCUM.

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

I use bar plugs for glue on, Oury grips

Tried the lock-on Oury, but they are not as soft as the old fashioned Oury Bar plugs keep the torn ends from looking bad, and they kind of hold the shredded part together after a few falls in the rocks. Lock on grips are not for me.

ronbo613
    Happened to me. Borrowed a friend's bike with no end caps, fell in a sand pit and core sampled my thigh. Pretty gruesome injury and I still have a nice scar from it.
    Won't ride a bike without end caps, not worth the risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Swell idea! Any mods needed, besides cutting off the plastic?
    They don't quite match up, so a bit of filing and reaming is in order to mash it in there.
    (sounds like my prom night hey-o!)
    Time wounds all heels...

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    I once fell low-speed, chest-first onto the end of my bar. I think I had bar plugs in then. It hurt like hell and left a long-lasting bruise. I have bar plugs on my road bikes but not on my mountain bikes any more. I use Ergon grips on my mountain bikes, which are a bit wider than standard grips, especially when looking at them from the end of the bar. I also run the grips just a millimeter or so off the end of the bar, so that if I do catch the bar during a crash, I'll hit the plastic grip, rather than the metal bar.

IME, bar plugs stay in road bars a lot more easily than in mountain bike bars. The tape on road bars helps keep the plug in, but plastic plugs going directly into a metal bar just deform and fall out at the slightest touch.

(Bar plugs are those plastic things you put into the bar, bar ends are the things that go onto the end of the bar to give you an extra hand position. Just FYI.)
    Erik, most lock on grips these days have very simple n sweet caps that lock into the end of the grip into a little groove solving the problem you speak of here.
    Odi grips now have this system, it eliminates the need for a core that goes into the bar, thus eliminating all the problems of the old push in bar ends ans seving weight at the same time. cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

mtbr member
    This is my street bike:

I disabled the primer from the inside to have clean looks on the outside. The fit was quite tight, but it really depends on your handlebars. If yours are aluminum or steel, you can ream them for a better fit, but note that a tapered shape will cause the plugs to fall out more easily.

'11 Opus Strat
    Yup, My sisters friend has done it. Mind you she was on a ghetto 10spd but no caps none the less. She came running into our house screaming and bleeding from her face. We couldn't figure out where the injury was until she stuck her tongue through the side of her cheek. Just a freak accident.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    This is a sub-urban legend. I cant figure out how its even possible.

1. the rider's torso is clear of the bars in almost every crash.

2. The shirt would prevent the bar from "coring" the skin.

3. If you use lock on grips you have a 5mm donut shape already. If you use slip on grips you have the end plug already built in. MAYBE if you are mountain biking with bar tape? In that case see 1 & 2.

I could see it happen to a leg but not an upper body.

The main benefit of end plugs are to avoid core sampling the trail. No one likes dirt & rocks jammed in the bars.
    Last edited by RTM; 12-01-2012 at 08:35 AM.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Erik, most lock on grips these days have very simple n sweet caps that lock into the end of the grip into a little groove solving the problem you speak of here.
    Odi grips now have this system, it eliminates the need for a core that goes into the bar, thus eliminating all the problems of the old push in bar ends ans seving weight at the same time. cheers
    Yeah, my Ergons came with those cheap plastic plugs that deform when you put them into the bar. And they fall out with the slightest touch. But, funny enough, I bought a pair of Odi grips yesterday with that system you're talking about.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

'11 Opus Strat
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    This is a sub-urban legend. I cant figure out how its even possible.

1. the rider's torso is clear of the bars in almost every crash.

2. The shirt would prevent the bar from "coring" the skin.

3. If you use lock on grips you have a 5mm donut shape already. If you use slip on grips you have the end plug already built in. MAYBE if you are mountain biking with bar tape? In that case see 1 & 2.

I could see it happen to a leg but not an upper body.

The main benefit of end plugs are to avoid core sampling the trail. No one likes dirt & rocks jammed in the bars.
    Be a bit more open minded bud! Haha. I've seen it more than once, and more than once on the upper body. Not as bad as the story I first told, but it does happen.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnt2012 View Post
    Be a bit more open minded bud! Haha. I've seen it more than once, and more than once on the upper body. Not as bad as the story I first told, but it does happen.
    I really cant dispute what you saw multiple times but I'm truly amazed. I've been around for many years, I have seen evidence of a lot of crazy injuries but never a true coring of anyone's torso. The odds have to be 1 in a million. I'm not talking about landing on the bar end, bruising or breaking ribs, I'm talking about the bar end actually puncturing & entering the skin. I just can't figure out how it could happen.

- Rob

mtbr member
    I really cant dispute what you saw multiple times but I'm truly amazed. I've been around for many years, I have seen evidence of a lot of crazy injuries but never a true coring of anyone's torso. The odds have to be 1 in a million. I'm not talking about landing on the bar end, bruising or breaking ribs, I'm talking about the bar end actually puncturing & entering the skin. I just can't figure out how it could happen.- Rob
    I can imagine it. Take my own bar-end landing described above. I hit my lower right rib cage. So lets move the point of impact down 2 inches to below the ribs. Let's say I was riding light aluminum bars with thin walls at the grips and was using foam grips ( both true). Let's also say the plug had fallen out, as it occasionally has (luckily not at the time I fell). And finally, lets say it was warm and I was wearing a very light shirt. Considering how hard I hit the bar end and the near perpendicular angle, I can easily imagine it penetrating me, or at least causing serious internal bruising. One saving grace in my case was the far end of the bar had planted itself about 6" into loamy soil. Had that been hard dirt or a rock, I could have done more than just crack a rib.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I can imagine it. Take my own bar-end landing described above. I hit my lower right rib cage. So lets move the point of impact down 2 inches to below the ribs. Let's say I was riding light aluminum bars with thin walls at the grips and was using foam grips ( both true). Let's also say the plug had fallen out, as it occasionally has (luckily not at the time I fell). And finally, lets say it was warm and I was wearing a very light shirt. Considering how hard I hit the bar end and the near perpendicular angle, I can easily imagine it penetrating me, or at least causing serious internal bruising. One saving grace in my case was the far end of the bar had planted itself about 6" into loamy soil. Had that been hard dirt or a rock, I could have done more than just crack a rib.
    i think all the what-ifs and the fact that it didnt happen actually supports what i was saying. But I really don't mean to argue. I'm not anti end plug...ha, even saying that is ridiculous. But I don't think we all need to worry too much about getting gored. There are plenty of other things that could more realistically happen during the course of every ride.

- Rob

mtbr member
    i think all the what-ifs and the fact that it didnt happen actually supports what i was saying. But I really don't mean to argue. I'm not anti end plug...ha, even saying that is ridiculous. But I don't think we all need to worry too much about getting gored. There are plenty of other things that could more realistically happen during the course of every ride.
    - Rob
    Agreed, it's fortunately not a common occurrence; rare, even. Lot's of what-ifs as you say. But not that hard to imagine, as I know I came pretty close to it myself.

Members who have read this thread: 3