Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!

I have seen quite a few bikes now with the fork installed the wrong way around, so far this is the only suspension fork I have seen done like this though. Post pictures/links to whatever bike butchery you have seen, anything is welcome.

Name:  00p0p_7UJHmoPw2Zy_600x450.jpg
Views: 6081
Size:  23.5 KBBackwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-00g0g_ezbwhcnrc55_600x450.jpg

I wonder what negative rake handles like...

Giant AC Down hill mountain bike

U sayin' Bolt ?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well judging from this ad he bought the bike from South County Cycles in San Diego. You may want to "steer" clear < pun intended of that place.

Giant AC Down hill mountain bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

My little friends
    Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-muddybikes3-13_zpsda2d7829.jpg

Oh wait, that's a Manitou, it's what they do!

mtbr member
    Just go to the Walmart bike department.

MTBR Member
    That's the first time I've seen it in a magazine. Wow.

I did see this guy cruising around the parking lot at a local trail recently with his fork backwards. I felt kinda like a **** for mentioning it, but he said he had it that way on purpose. Go figure.

mtbr member
    I used to work in a shop that sold bikes that came with this sticker:

I think that is because they are willing to send their products direct to customers who are that clueless, but also because they sell bikes to some retailers that don't hire mechanics who have any idea what they are doing.

so I started collecting these stickers and carry one in my wallet at all times. the Target near me has this fat bike- I noticed the backwards fork over 6 months ago and put a sticker on it. I saw it again a few months later and mentioned to a manager that there was a bike in the bike department with a backwards fork and "someone even put a sticker on it to make the point." the next time I saw the bike a month or two later, the fork was pointed the correct direction because someone had turned it around, along with the bars. no one bothered to fix it, they just turned the bars backwards. in response, I put another sticker on the other side of the fork. it was still sitting there the last time I checked a week or two ago. I have made a hobby out of checking on this bike. my wife is not nearly as amused by this as I am.

I avoid going into walmart and have little reason to enter toy and sporting goods stores, but this happens a lot. there's no stopping it, but I get a chuckle out of distributing stickers this way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    The forks are correct in this pic. That is a Manitou fork. Their arches are all on the back of the fork vs the front.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Breezer Thunder One
    Motobecane Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Raleigh Willard 3
    Raleigh Furley

mtbr member
    ^yeah, there's a manitou further up in this thread and the person who shared it did so as a joke and said it was a joke.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	muddybikes3-13_zpsda2d7829.jpg 
Views:	1235 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	1050851

Oh wait, that's a Manitou, it's what they do!
    Damn, those front tires look like they're just a few inches off the tarmac. Guess they don't plan on going in or out of a driveway. And Allah forbid they should back out!

*skraaaaaape...bennnnnnnnd*
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One from our local CL Sondors Ebike / eletric
    Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-backwardsfork.jpg

9 lives
    You get what you pay for

Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-dxyaess.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I shiver at the thought of these being sold to children.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

One ring to mash them all
    I suppose this qualifies:

"One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    I felt kinda like a **** for mentioning it, but he said he had it that way on purpose. Go figure.
    No he didn't. He just didn't want to admit that he had zero clue.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I suppose this qualifies:

Ha! That's great!!
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Ha! That's great!!
    It's brilliant isn't it? Love to see what happens when she tries peddling.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Clueless: "Yo Wal-Mart bike building dude, I want my front brake on the right MX style, How you gonna do that?"

Wal-Mart dude: "Simple, just flip the fork. Easy Peasy"

Clueless: "SWEEEET!!!"

mtbr member
    Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-20160305_095123.jpg

Not a backwards fork but half of the bikes at the nearby Target have the cables coiled up like this.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160305_095123.jpg 
Views:	481 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	1054597

Not a backwards fork but half of the bikes at the nearby Target have the cables coiled up like this.
    hey atleast the fook is installed properly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I see this more often on disc equipped bikes, but I have seen it occasionally on traditional brakes. It is my theory that whoever does this thinks a bike fork is like a caster wheel on cart or a chair.... Has anyone ever tried riding a bike this way? Must be twitchy as hell.
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis rigid
    2008 Yamaha WR250r http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by byron555 View Post
    Has anyone ever tried riding a bike this way?
    No, but the woman next door has!

A few years ago she asked me to check out a bike of hers that she was going to give to a woman she worked beside. After pulling it out of the garage I said to her:

"How often did you ride this bike?"

"Once."

"How did it feel?"

"Not very good."

"This woman you plan on giving the bike to, do you like her?...."

Apart from the fork being on backwards, the bike was the most horrible cheap crappy contraption you've ever seen. Plastic brake levers and callipers!! You could pull the levers to the bar with very little effort. Bikes like that should be banned.

It's still in the garage, she didn't give it away.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I though it was a joke and didn't look at it ... until I saw a Walmart bike with the fork on backward!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    When I first saw the title of this thread, I though it was a joke and didn't look at it ... until I saw a Walmart bike with the fork on backward!
    No, it's very real. You've probably passed multiple bikes with the fork backwards and not noticed.

mtbr member
    Upon visiting Terrrget tonight, I was surprised to see that there were no backwards forks. Then I saw the reason why.

i don't think any amount of stickers is going to keep a target/walmart employee from inevitably assembling it backwards.

Your Best Friend
    Bonus points to the first person finding a fork on backwards, with the sticker.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    SUN RUN?? At least the brake callipers are made of metal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Bonus points to the first person finding a fork on backwards, with the sticker.
    challenge accepted. I had to pick up some things at Target yesterday and found this:

sorry the photo is blurry, but there's a "front" sticker on the front of the fork, and the fork is backwards.

the fat bike I noticed with the backwards fork over six months ago still has a backwards fork. I am surprised they are not selling more bike such that stuff like that would move.

mtbr member
    The Fork on most of this pictures is installed backwards not due to stupidity but because the bike is shipped this way (shorter wheelbase = more compact) and the fork will certainly be turned around the right way as soon as the bike is sold

mtbr member
    Just fixed the neighbor kids new Target bike on Saturday. Fork on backwards, brake levers parallel with the ground, saddle pointing way up, axle bolts rounded off from using a crescent wrench. 2 minutes with the bike and I tightened almost every allen bolt on it. Not a death trap anymore. Told her it was an awesome bike, hope she loves it, and she rode away smiling. For most of the world, if it rolls, it goes.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    the fork will certainly be turned around the right way as soon as the bike is sold
    Only if the customer is that smart. Those bikes are sold as-is and sent right out the door. I have watched customers do it. The baffling thing is when you 30 bikes on a display and two have backwards forks and no one cares.

These bikes are not shipped with the fork backwards, they are shipped with stem removed. The assembler makes a choice to put it on the wrong way and the retailer makes a choice to ignore this.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 04-12-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Your Best Friend
    The Fork on most of this pictures is installed backwards not due to stupidity but because the bike is shipped this way (shorter wheelbase = more compact) and the fork will certainly be turned around the right way as soon as the bike is sold
    What?! Uh, no. The fork may come shipped backwards (not likely) but then it'd be the assemblers job to put it together correctly. An incorrectly built anything should never make it onto a retail showroom, even at Wal-Mart.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    An incorrectly built anything should never make it onto a retail showroom, even at Wal-Mart.
    These places have a reputation to consider.

~*~*~*~*~
    No photos 😑 but a couple years back, a guy brought a 29r with a backwards fork into the shop for a tune-up. The paint on the under side of the down tube was worn off from the tire rubbing every time the shock compressed. The mechanic gently pointed out the backwards fork. The guy said he had heard such wonderful things about 29rs, and he didn't understand why because he never liked the way his handled. After it was fixed, he rode it around the parking lot and was like, Oh, wow!

mtbr member
    My friend in highschool got a job as a bike assembler, he would travel around to Target/ Wal-Mart/ Fred Meyer and assemble their newly arrived bikes, they issued him a simple generic (non-bike specific) toolkit and he was payed per bike, with the expectation being that he only took ten minutes each. He wasn't into bikes, it was just a job, I have no idea if he ever put forks on backwards, but I can definitely see how it could happen. He ended up quitting after about a month because he couldn't keep up with the pace they wanted him competing bikes at, with the result that he didn't end up even making minimum wage.
    Riding a Brooks saddle mounted to Reynolds 853

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidfs View Post
    My friend in highschool got a job as a bike assembler, he would travel around to Target/ Wal-Mart/ Fred Meyer and assemble their newly arrived bikes, they issued him a simple generic (non-bike specific) toolkit and he was payed per bike, with the expectation being that he only took ten minutes each. He wasn't into bikes, it was just a job, I have no idea if he ever put forks on backwards, but I can definitely see how it could happen.
    That's the guy!!
    share his personal details!
    Ok we cannot prove that he's responsible for any backwards installed forks but we desperately need a scapegoat here

mtbr member
    That was over ten years ago so I doubt any of his bikes are still in stores, actually they are probably mostly in landfills... Unless he worked at Mack_Turtle's local target

mtbr member
    We should still visit him for interrogation and show him some pictures posted in this thread ("...do you know this bike...? ...what about this bike?")

Even if it's 10 years ago he might be willing to confess his sins!

mtbr member
    Dammit people.... I work on a bluff overlooking a Wal-Mart. Now I have to go down and look for improperly assembled bikes.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Does this count as a backwards fork? There was another one with the fork right way forward but the handle bars off at 270 degrees.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is that out in the sales rack without being fully assembled?

mtbr member
    Is that out in the sales rack without being fully assembled?
    After looking at the other bikes I think it was assembled but who ever is in charge of it didn't care.

I will say walmart is now in the + sized bike game. The tires on all the bikes there now are 3 inches wide.

turtles make me hot
    I almost never go to Wal Mart but I went today. While in the store, I saw a store employee, obviously the bike assembly guy, walking a freshly assembled bike out of the back toward the bike section. He was walking with that "serious business" expression on his face. I looked at the fork and sure enough, it was backwards.
    For about one second I pondered pointing it out to him but he didn't look like he'd be receptive to help.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I woulda asked who the idiot was that assembled that bike. But I'm like that

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher117 View Post
    I will say walmart is now in the + sized bike game. The tires on all the bikes there now are 3 inches wide.

You know... I thought I noticed that too.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
    I woulda asked who the idiot was that assembled that bike.
    Yeah, that's what I would have done.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I almost never go to Wal Mart but I went today. While in the store, I saw a store employee, obviously the bike assembly guy, walking a freshly assembled bike out of the back toward the bike section. He was walking with that "serious business" expression on his face. I looked at the fork and sure enough, it was backwards.
    For about one second I pondered pointing it out to him but he didn't look like he'd be receptive to help.
    Pics or it didn't happen.;-)

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.;-)
    I promise a pic next time. I probably wont be back in there for a few months.
    OH wait!! I'll be in Florida in July and I always end up in those super Wal Marts down there. I'll keep my eyes peeled but they seem to have their act more together than up here in New York.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Assembled thousands of bikes, never found one with the fork backwards in the shipping box. People that put bikes in boxes all day long have more common sense than a low wage assembler that doesn't give a flying rat.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-2016-05-26_18-47-02.jpg

mtbr member
    it's a women's bike, that doesn't count.

mtbr member
    Yeah but it's also not a Wal-Mart/big box store brand, I've only ever seen diamondback in bike shops... Maybe they bought it online and it came with the stem removed for shopping...?

mtbr member
    Maybe she likes the way it rides with the steeper steer/shorter wheelbase. Pushing the front brake too hard could result in a deadly accident tough...

Upcyclist
    Not a backwards fork, but a... still trying to figure this one out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Not a backwards fork, but a... still trying to figure this one out.
    Don't bother, it's just a heap if shengus.

mtbr member
    Yeah but it's also not a Wal-Mart/big box store brand, I've only ever seen diamondback in bike shops... Maybe they bought it online and it came with the stem removed for shopping...?
    They sell Diamondback at Dick's, the Wal-Mart of the outdoor/sports stores.

mtbr member
    Diamondback sells to some chain stores that have questionable credentials (Dick's) and chain stores that generally have good mechanics (REI) and they sell bikes online to be shipped direct to customers. I think they do this to compete, but crap like backwards forks is the result.

Nat
    mtbr member
    At my local supermarket:

Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-13331025_10209515637751073_4963453942007612240_n.jpg

turtles make me hot
    Damn... They messed that one up good. Even the fender is mounted up incorrectly.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    They just wanted a quick steering, maneuverable beach cruiser...

@ flamingtaco & mac_turtle:

I haven't been in a Dick's, are they worse than Sports Chalet or Big 5?

Nat
    mtbr member
    Maybe whoever assembled it had to get back to sorting fruit in the produce aisle.

mtbr member

I've never been to those other two stores, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    I've never been to those other two stores, so...
    I've been to all 3 and I'd say they are all equally as shitty.

Sports Chalet I heard went out of business. Out of the 3 that one was the best, go figure.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Sports Chalet
    We'll Take You to The Limit!

turtles make me hot
    While waiting for a table at an open air seafood restaurant the other day, a waitress rode up to start her shift on a beach cruiser with the fork on backwards. Bike looked fairly weathered. It's been ridden for a while like that.
    I like turtles

Bikesexual
    I've been to all 3 and I'd say they are all equally as shitty.

Sports Chalet I heard went out of business. Out of the 3 that one was the best, go figure.
    Actually BIG 5 is not bad, they are seasonal store for the most part but you can find some cycling stuff, although mostly I used to buy soccer stuff. Sports Chalet is a sad story after they became "corporate". Sports Authority is also out of biz. Good old internet.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

****** to the dirt
    wrong, when bikes are shipped the front wheel is taken off as well as the handle bars. There is a cardboard tube holding the fork to the frame with the fork turned side ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Anyone seen the infomercial about the multi-purpose ladder? Where it can bend in half and act as a table, or lock out and be an A frame?

Thing doesn't lock, guy gets on it, it tips a little bit. Fiddles around with it and hears a click, "Ok, now its locked." Gets on to it and the whole thing collapses into a pile. Before it cuts away you hear "I guess it wasn't locked yet..."

Makes you really want to buy it, haha!

mtbr member
    Any thing that is designed to serve more than one porpoise, serves no porpoise particularly, well.

mtbr member
    Any thing that is designed to serve more than one porpoise, serves no porpoise particularly, well.
    You won't have much use for that wiggly thing between your legs then?

mtbr member
    This is so true. Last week I served my dinner guests a porpoise. Two (or more) porpoises would have been just too much.

However, even serving just one porpoise was not very well received once they found out what they were eating.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    This is so true. Last week I served my dinner guests a porpoise. Two (or more) porpoises would have been just too much.

However, even serving just one porpoise was not very well received once they found out what they were eating.
    stop making fun of people who got obviously jacked by their auto correct, it happens to me all the time and I feel sympathy for the poor guy above

edit: Ok I got curious now. Next time you serve dinner, wanna come too.

Upcyclist
    stop making fun of people who got obviously jacked by their auto correct, it happens to me all the time and I feel sympathy for the poor guy above
    Maybe he did it on porpoise.

Sneaker man
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    ^ That fork is bent, not backwards. It's a steel fork so no danger here

mtbr member
    No danger?I wouldn't go that far...

mtbr member
    It's a steel fork so no danger here
    None besides the fact that the bike now has an effective 87 degree hta and the fork has been weakened significantly.

mtbr member
    The steeper headangle will make the bike turn quicker, a big plus if you're commuting and in the hurry. The weakened area of the fork might flex thus giving the rider increased comfort.

Sneaker man
    Yeah when I saw the thumbnail of the ad,I'm like Oh that fork is so on backwa....Oh! Oh dear thats a whole lot worse.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    The steeper headangle will make the bike turn quicker, a big plus if you're commuting and in the hurry. The weakened area of the fork might flex thus giving the rider increased comfort.
    The bike has razor-sharp handling and a patent pending "flex fork" for increased comfort without the weight of a suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    funny stuff.

has there ever been a backward bike helmet thread? maybe less of an issue since we all seem to have visors. but damn..this lady where i used to live..looked goofy.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomchakabowwow View Post
    funny stuff.

has there ever been a backward bike helmet thread? maybe less of an issue since we all seem to have visors. but damn..this lady where i used to live..looked goofy.
    Now that you mention it, I have seen altogether too many instances of backward helmets around my area.

mtbr member
    I've never seen someone wearing a bike helmet or riding a fork backwards in my whole live. But maybe we Europeans are just too clever for that haha

mtbr member
    I've never seen someone wearing a bike helmet or riding a fork backwards in my whole live. But maybe we Europeans are just too clever for that haha
    Since cycling appears to have greater cultural significance in Europe than in the US, that may account for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Maybe he did it on porpoise.
    All my posts are served up with a heaping helping of fowl in tents.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Haha. I bought a bike online from Target (mistake #1) a few years ago. Me and my buddy assembled it and were stumped as to why the front tire was rubbing and brakes weren't lining up. Almost took it to LBS but we figured out that the front fork was backwards and it was just a simple flip around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_wrong27 View Post
    Almost took it to LBS but we figured out that the front fork was backwards and it was just a simple flip around.
    Oh yes the FRONT fork, which is on the opposite end of the bike as the REAR fork. Got it.

Life Is Short
    DT Swiss makes them backwards too. 2016 RX w/ DT Swiss OPM100
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-porsche-bike-rx-wei-schwarz-rot.jpg  

Ride More, Eat More

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    DT Swiss makes them backwards too. 2016 RX w/ DT Swiss OPM100
    Magura makes them backwards and forwards.

Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-p4pb10605740.jpg

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Magura makes them backwards and forwards.
    Talk about a dirt magnet, is there a hole or vent where water or debri can roll out? I see the advantages of a stiff arch structure but thats weird
    Ride More, Eat More

Newb
    Apr 2016
    This has to be backwards, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not helpful.
    Jeebus, people!

mtbr member
    Oh yes the FRONT fork, which is on the opposite end of the bike as the REAR fork. Got it.
    Amen brother, preach on!

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/...ed-878221.html

Newb
    Apr 2016

From Craigslist Austin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    All I see is fat tired DIY track bikes ITT. They're just in their pre fixie stage, they haven't mutated yet.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingtaco View Post
    all my posts are served up with a heaping helping of fowl in tents.
    lol!!
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Another in Austin. We're winning it today...

Backwards fork thread! Post pictures of incorrectly installed forks!-00d0d_fm1zhegvlbe_1200x900.jpg

I actually wonder if anyone's gotten rid of a bike for this reason. I can just imagine someone complaining about how twitchy the steering is when they have an 88 degree headtube on their road bike with a backwards fork.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3468
Size:  78.0 KB

Bikesexual
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 3468
Size:  78.0 KB
    Even if one is left handed?
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast