mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Back to biking after 40 years

just saying hello from Alaska. I rode and raced BMX many years ago, but haven't ridin a bike in 40 years. Been having some health issues and needed to do something about it by exercise of some sort. So bought a Specialized Fuse a couple months ago. Pretty rough starting out but getting better by the day. Helps that I ride most times with a neighbor that is a firefighter so he is in good shape and helps motivate me. Been loving it so far. We have started riding the singletrack trails as well. The fuse has been such an awesome bike but I have some back pain after riding so yesterday I bought a new 2017 Trance 3 for suspension. Got a great deal on it, too being as it was a left over. We will see how it goes now. I plan on sticking with it for years to come. I didn't realize I missed riding a bike until I started again. I'm looking forward to reading all the info on this site and learning how far bikes have come since I rode last. Thanks, Jon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to biking after 40 years-img_3968.jpg  

Back to biking after 40 years-img_4139.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Welcome back to the world of biking, Jon. Be careful, mountain biking can be like the Hotel California: You can check-out, but never leave.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah View Post
    Welcome back to the world of biking, Jon. Be careful, mountain biking can be like the Hotel California: You can check-out, but never leave.
    "...and still those voices are calling from faaar away:
    by a Trek in the middle of the night
    watch your cash fly away"

welcome back to it!! same story for me as well...BMX in the 70s and 80s; got into MTB in the 90s....then life...then back into it 7 years ago...also got back into BMX...

hope to see more pics of bikes and riding!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Congrats! It's about to get COLD in a month

Our almost 70-ish clear days right now are absolutely amazing!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    yes they are. Been trying to ride every night after work.

Don't Tread on Me
    I never completely left cycling. I've always owned a nice road bike to tour and maintain fitness. And I've owned and infrequently rode early rigid and hard tail off road bikes in the late 80's and 90's. What got me into serious mountain biking was the tremendous improvements in mountain bikes in the 2000's. The full suspension technology just made huge leaps forward during those years. Geometry and components have also improved drastically. At the same time the mountain bike community has matured. MTBR has been a huge contributor to the process. Thanks F.C.!
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This was a top of the line mountain bike 35 years ago, so I'd say bikes have progressed nicely. Now is a great time to be a bike rider, happy you decided to start again & are loving it!

Now if you happen to have any of your old BMX stuff laying around... you might be sitting on a gold mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Back to biking after 40 years-fina1.jpg  

1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    This was a top of the line mountain bike 35 years ago, so I'd say bikes have progressed nicely. Now is a great time to be a bike rider, happy you decided to start again & are loving it!

Now if you happen to have any of your old BMX stuff laying around... you might be sitting on a gold mine.
    I wish I did. I had some pretty good stuff for the times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Welcome back to the fold. I was in the same boat as you. Once I got my DL a few decades ago I stopped riding a bike. I decided to get back into two years ago after talking a lot about it with a co-worker. Been addicted ever since.

Snow Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post

that old MTB is sweet!!! I wpuld still ride that as well..

and I would be into any old BMX parts. I have my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro that I still ride, and am looking to build older Mongeese as well. Always searching!!!
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro
    LET IT SNOW!!!

Bikesexual
    Welcome back! I rode bikes as a kid, and had one or two in the process of getting older.. picked this up around 2012/2013 when I joined this forum, as I was getting into it, life threw a wrench at me and had to stop for a bit, but since 2016 I've been trying to ride as much as I can. I only wish I had time to ride more.

It's a great addiction!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid