Austin TX - trails, rentals?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Austin TX - trails, rentals?

A business trip is taking me to Austin TX for a month. Any trails I should check out? I can't take my bike with me so any shops in the area that rents bikes? Any help would be appreciated, A month without riding would kill me. Plus riding a new place is so cool.

TIA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudman
    A business trip is taking me to Austin TX for a month. Any trails I should check out? I can't take my bike with me so any shops in the area that rents bikes? Any help would be appreciated, A month without riding would kill me. Plus riding a new place is so cool.

TIA
    go here:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/forumdisplay.php?f=14

There are plenty of bike rentals/demos in town. There are a number of places to ride. city park, walnut creek, and the greenbelt are all in the city limits. the mojos are always having group rides. Hook up for those rides and you'll have a blast.

ATX

Apr 2004

Austin Trails

Austin is a great place to ride. Depending on where in town you are and what types of trails you're looking for, there are lots of options. Here are a few top picks:

1) Barton Creek Greenbelt. This is somewhat centrally located and is a there-and-back type of trail along Barton Creek. Itís mostly intermediate, but has sections of really easy trails, and some sections of fairly technical tracks.

2) Walnut Creek. This is a large-ish web of trails in north Austin. For the most part itís fairly easy, but can be a lot of fun anyway. Good maps exist, but youíll get lost if you donít pay attention to where youíre going.

3) Emma Long (City Park). This is a great loop in west Austin. Itís a quite rocky and technical trail that is mostly ridden by serious riders.

Check out google for more info on these trails and more.

http://content.mtbr.com/pscTrails/Un...S_4580crx.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check out Bicycle Sport Shop

Quote Originally Posted by Mudman

TIA
    In Austin. We didn't ride in Austin (Killeen instead) but I did some serious bike shopping while there and this shop was awesome. They have several shops including the one right down town that has all sorts of great rentals. You can ride right to the trails from their store.

They are currently renting, SC Blurs, SL's and Juli's, Epics, Cakes, etc. A great set to chose from! Maybe they'll shoot you some kind of multi-day rental deal. They know road and trail for the city.

Here's a link:
    http://bicyclesportshop.com/

We went to several shops while there and this was my favorite. I'm sure there's many other good ones too.

Don't forget, if you've never been to Austin....it's a GREAT city! The nightlife (music, music, music), the trails, the weather. I'm jealous that you're going and not me! Report back to us after your trip and tell us what kind of riding you got to do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As mentioned above, Bicycle Sport Shop is probably the best place to rent a bike. Whats great about them is their location. It provides easy access to the Barton Creek Greenbelt which is an awesome trail. I highly recommend riding it.