Attacked by a runner!- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Attacked by a runner!

Ever had a altercation with someone while on a ride?
    I was riding around the neigborhood. a runner was going to step off the curb into the street right into my path. I gave him a Yoo Yoo! shout. He didn't care for my Yoo Yoo and started yellng things. so I stopped and I may have egged him on, so when I tried to ride away he grabs my sweat shirt and throws me to the ground! Big mistake on his part. he was still attached to my bike when it hit the ground. So I grabbed the bike and slammed him with it several times, he was still there so I kicked him about three more times to get him off me. You can say he got the worse of it. bleeding from the face. me and the bike no damage! Don't be messing with mt. bikers!! I will protect myself.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    I predict this thread will go well.
    2018 YT Jeffsy CF Pro 29
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

mtbr member
    Umm yeah. Ive done some dumb chit in my life but sure as hell never bragged about it. I hope the OP is not expecting anything in the way of affirmation.

Is not amused
    Last edited by Hutch3637; 02-23-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ^^^^Lmao..

mtbr member
    Wow, never heard of anything like this that was so violent. I would have just ignored him. It must have looked like a geek fest. A goofball in a jogging outfit with a nerd wearing a helmet clutching a bicycle exchanging blows. I don't ever recommend doing anything like that.

I like stuff
    Ive always wanted to slap someone with a bicycle Bad pedestrian!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If u carried a gun you coulda shot him

Swedetarded
    Quote Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
    I was riding around the neigborhood. a runner was going to step off the curb into the street right into my path. I gave him a Yoo Yoo! shout. He didn't care for my Yoo Yoo and started yellng things. so I stopped and I may have egged him on, so when I tried to ride away he grabs my sweat shirt and throws me to the ground! Big mistake on his part. he was still attached to my bike when it hit the ground. So I grabbed the bike and slammed him with it several times, he was still there so I kicked him about three more times to get him off me. You can say he got the worse of it. bleeding from the face. me and the bike no damage! Don't be messing with mt. bikers!! I will protect myself.
    Protect? More like assault. Do you use meth?

mtbr member
    Eh he got in a scrap, so what?

Vitamin Bike Added
    If it weren't for lawyers and financial ruin...
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Next time exercise better self control... Big difference between self defense and two grown men acting stupid

bust a move
    You still might be hearing from the authorities...:

mtbr member
    did you guys read about how the jogger grabbed his shirt and threw him to the ground? someone said ignore him? thats funny.

OP - you prob should have left out the part about bludgeoning the guy with your bike, but i bet it felt pretty good. you may or may not be a dick.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    did you guys read about how the jogger grabbed his shirt and threw him to the ground? someone said ignore him? thats funny.

OP - you prob should have left out the part about bludgeoning the guy with your bike, but i bet it felt pretty good. you may or may not be a dick.
    He stopped and egged him on.

TSounds like there was multiple ways this could have been avoided. Flip him the bird and keep on riding!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have been in a confrontation with a jogger before. I did not egg him on, he did not attack me and everyone went on with their lives.

If I were you I would delete this post. It makes pretty good evidence in a criminal case. Bragging about beating someone probably won't go over very well with a jury.
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post

youre right, my apologies to LenzRider, i was thinking ignore the guy after the take down.

this is how i see it:
    OP egged him on - should have ignored him instead, but I cant blame him for being offended and looking the jogger in the face.

jogger grabs shirt and throws OP to ground - any kind of rights and wrongs are now thrown out the window. attacker must be taken out or OP can be seriously injured.

OP brags about it on a forum - not cool, give mtn bikers a bad name but makes a great thread.

cheers
    -z

AZ
    banned
    Hit him with your purse next time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Inflammatory threads for rep. What a lovely addition that has made.

mtbr member extraordinair
    Its not so bad. Now if you had urinated on him while he was down, that would have crossed the line.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

thecentralscrutinizer
    OP could claim self defense if the runner did grab him and would not let go.

Unfortunately, sometimes you don't have a choice but to react this way.
    2019 Giant Fastroad Advanced
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29
    2020 Giant XTC Advanced 29
    2019 Surly Karate Monkey

banned
    Sep 2010
    Good job OP, another runner/hiker/pedestrian that thinks all cyclists are dooooosh baggggs.

mtbr member

Titanium junkie
    Always 2 sides to a story, wouldn't have admitted the multiple kick's.
    Moving on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Good job. I am a big believer in trying to walk away but if someone stops me I will do what I have to do.(including beating them with my MTB.) Personaly, I totaly approve. You have to draw a line and don't let people cross it. History is full of perfect examples of what happens if you don't. But... Like I said in the first sentence, I am a big believer in trying to walk away first but once forced into a situation it is totaly OK to go all out to end it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    if jogger dropped him to the ground beating is justified. /end thread

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BertoManfred View Post
    if jogger dropped him to the ground beating is justified. /end thread

In the op's words, "I egged him on". The op should have got his ass kicked for acting like a total DB.

mtbr member
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure that all, if not most have had some kind of situation with people, some people just [email protected], add to that the added adrenaline from exercise and it's inevitable. I don't really care what people feel they have to say, like yelling at me, or calling me names, I know who I am, but pick up your hand and you've just crossed the line. I don't think, once he grabbed you, that he shouldn't have a lesson coming his way, but using your bike and kicking him while he's on the ground bleeding seems a bit harsh. Guess you felt like you needed an advantage, or an ego boost. Why else would you post this? Maybe like AZ said, use your purse next time. 2 wrongs don't make a right, and your egging him on, IMO, just shows a lack of confidence and maturity.
    Was not there but my .02
    Last edited by theMeat; 02-03-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    Round and round we go

"2 Wycked"

Like this?

Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Don't start a fight armed with only words.

mtbr member
    Hmm, some great points here all around. Personally I try to be proactive in my approach with joggers. I always attack them all first before they can even think of starting anything with me.

(only exception to this would be the guy who runs around a local mtb area naked. Rule #1 in life: never fight a naked dude, especially if he doesn't have clothes on)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can't believe how many people are coming down on the op! The other guy was way out of line from the get go, both literally and figuratively. If I try to give someone a heads up that they are about to get hit and they berate me for the warning, I will respond in kind. If they then assault me, I will also respond in kind. It sounds to me like all the people accusing the op of needing an ego boost are trying to boost their own ego by telling us how superior their character is compared to the op.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I bet you were ***** slapping each other like a couple female mud wrestlers without the hot factor.
    By the way, don't stop and get into a road rage incident. What is the point?

banned

yeah I hear ya, some of those Girl Scouts can be tough little b!tches.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    I can't believe how many people are coming down on the op! The other guy was way out of line from the get go, both literally and figuratively.
    Do you really know that?

For all we know, the jogger might just have been startled by the yell and the OP passing close by and may have thrown a "Whoa, nice driving, moron" as a reaction, making the OP stop, turn and start the Taxi Driver routing "Are you talking to me? Are you talking to me, M.F.!!".

If the jogger kept yelling all sorts of nasty stuff after the OP I'll cut the OP some slack for responding, but it might just as well have been a single "moron" call and the OP going way too sensitive and stop to pick a fight.

mtbr member
    lets face it most on here are coming down on the op cause the only fight they have ever been in was a pillow fight at their sisters slumber party.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Good job..eff-whatever the nay sayers are saying.. if you dont defend yourself who's gonna do it for you? Of course, like anyone does, try to pick your battles as wisely as you can. Speaking for myself I would not book such nonsense and would have beat a hole in the guy...If events transpired as you described, then that runner was deliberate in his actions and initiated the assault!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Cool story, Bro.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    lets face it most on here are coming down on the op cause the only fight they have ever been in was a pillow fight at their sisters slumber party.

As opposed to you sticking your head up your ass and fighting for air?

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyblanco2121 View Post
    ^^^^Lmao..
    Benny Blanco? From The Bronx???
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Hmm, some great points here all around. Personally I try to be proactive in my approach with joggers. I always attack them all first before they can even think of starting anything with me.

(only exception to this would be the guy who runs around a local mtb area naked. Rule #1 in life: never fight a naked dude, especially if he doesn't have clothes on)
    I almost choked on my sandwich when I read this^ HA! you get a green chicklet!

I4NI
    Reminds me of the "Freak Out"(girl on trail) vid we had here awhile back.
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    https://cycletc.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/27.jpg
    crazy03, that dude's ground fighting position is terrible

All joking aside, there's three sides to the story... his side, the jogger's side, and what really happened.

mtbr member
    I can definitely tell who is passive, and who is aggressive by peoples responses in this thread. I didn't think there was anything illegal about having "words" with someone. The runner clearly started by assaulting him. It's clear that he was leaving the scene, and instead of being a man he grabs him from behind as he's leaving? I think we should have a poll just like the local radio show around here, "who's the D****E B*g"

If it were me though, I probably would've just kept on riding and THOUGHT about doing what the OP did...

mtbr member
    Is a bike considered a deadly weapon?

You know 200 years ago You could have challenged him to a dual.

Dirt Huffer
    The jogger started the "physical" altercation. The jogger is in the wrong.

As they say, "He who throws the first punch..."

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    The jogger started the "physical" altercation. The jogger is in the wrong.

As they say, "He who throws the first punch..."

We have yet to hear from the jogger. Just sayin. For all we know this conversation is taking place on the joggers forum with a slightly different slant.

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    We have yet to hear from the jogger. Just sayin. For all we know this conversation is taking place on the joggers forum with a slightly different slant.
    We likely never will hear from the jogger so we have to take the OP's word on it.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    We likely never will hear from the jogger so we have to take the OP's word on it.

You can take his word on it, I remain the skeptic.

banned
    Sep 2010
    You can take his word on it, I remain the skeptic.

/\ This, the whole thing...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I am embarrassed by being involved in this confrontation and did not tell anyone because yes I was the other party. So I posted it here. I deserve all negative reps.

Let me clear one thing. I did not stand over him and beat him down. He was laying on top of me and the bike pinning me down. So I pulled the bike to try to get up. He was still attached so I used the bike to knock him off. still couldn't get him off so I finally had to give him several kicks with the bottom of my foot to shove him off.

In hind sight I should have ridden away as I normally do. but stopped and words were exchanged then he threw me down. probably if he was not attached to the bike I would have just gotten up and ridden away, I was still in reaction mode trying to get away. I didn't feel bad about the incident after it happened I was feeling kinda good that I was not hurt a he received the worse of it. I am embarassed about the whole thing now. Hopefully this will never happen again.

I reserve the right to counter any assualt on my person.

banned
    Sep 2010
    I am embarrassed by being involved in this confrontation and did not tell anyone because yes I was the other party. So I posted it here. I deserve all negative reps.

Let me clear one thing. I did not stand over him and beat him down. He was laying on top of me and the bike pinning me down. So I pulled the bike to try to get up. He was still attached so I used the bike to knock him off. still couldn't get him off so I finally had to give him several kicks with the bottom of my foot to shove him off.

In hind sight I should have ridden away as I normally do. but stopped and words were exchanged then he threw me down. probably if he was not attached to the bike I would have just gotten up and ridden away, I was still in reaction mode trying to get away. I didn't feel bad about the incident after it happened I was feeling kinda good that I was not hurt a he received the worse of it. I am embarassed about the whole thing now. Hopefully this will never happen again.

The story evolves.......

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is my person.
    He's small.
    I reserve the right to counter any assault on him.

mtbr member
    Good for you! So you egg the guy on, he gets mad and knocks you down, and then claim you're just acting in "self defense" kicking and hitting him with a metal object, and feel good that you gave him better than he gave you. Ok, sounds like what I used to tell my mom when I'd pick on my little brothers until they would come after me, which I used as justification to hit them. But I was 12 yrs old at the time ...

Nothing really to add, except I love all the pictures, gifs, and all that people have to respond to these types of threads. Very entertaining!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    OP does have the right to defend himself against anyone physically attacking him. Everyone has a natural right to do so.

But there are always three sides to the story: this guy's story, that guy's story, and what actually happened. Unless there is a video of the incident, I'm reserving judgment of either party.

Example: I'm riding my road bike in the car lane downtown, trying to get out of the city proper so that I can actually ride. This car in back of me honks at me, because he wants to pass me, because my 22 MPH isn't fast enough for city driving. So I move farther into the lane in order to preclude any dangerous passes. My passive-aggressive maneuver works, and the guy merges into the left lane in order to pass. I then catch up to him at the next stoplight (completely ignoring his car), and another driver rolls down his window to congratulate me for asserting my rights as a cyclist.

My story is likely different from the first driver's story (the guy who honked), which is likely different still from the third guy's story (the guy who congratulated me).

As they say, history is the winner's account of events.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I got one...
    Drunk dude at a Xmas party picking on me for no reason. Then talks smack about My girlfrend. He slaps me in the ear and face and pushes me around. 2 hours pass of me blowing it off and telling him to stop touching me. He does it again immediately after I said not to touch me (slaps me in the face) so I shatter a coffee mug on his head...

Ready... Go!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Fight or flight, you're choice. I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Lesson learned on both sides I'm guessing. Unless of course the jogger is posting over on joggerreview.com in the "What gun to carry while jogging" thread.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
    If u carried a gun you coulda shot him
    Just as I've always thought...People don't kill people, biker's who get attacked while clipped in kill people.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    The story evolves.......
    Actually, that's pretty much the same thing he said in the original post. Most of the shlit he's gotten in this thread has been from people who didn't comprehend that original post. Wether or not you talked smack *back* to a person, if they throw you to the ground, and pin you there with your bike, you have every right to hit them with the bike and kick them to get them off of you. According to the op, the jogger talked smack first. Verbally responding isn't the best reaction, but it's in no way illegal and it in no way justifies the runner assaulting him. Unless, of course, the op responded with phrases that could resonably have led the jogger to believe his life was now in danger.....

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Actually, that's pretty much the same thing he said in the original post. Most of the shlit he's gotten in this thread has been from people who didn't comprehend that original post. Wether or not you talked smack *back* to a person, if they throw you to the ground, and pin you there with your bike, you have every right to hit them with the bike and kick them to get them off of you. According to the op, the jogger talked smack first. Verbally responding isn't the best reaction, but it's in no way illegal and it in no way justifies the runner assaulting him. Unless, of course, the op responded with phrases that could resonably have led the jogger to believe his life was now in danger.....

+1

Pretty much how I read the original as well.

...but then again reading comprehension is notoriously low on empty-beer.
    People seem to read, then respond, instead of reading, comprehending, anaylzing then responding.

Obviously the best thing to have done was to continue to ride, ignoring the wanker. However, words were exchanged and the ensuing scuffle ensued.

I'm sorry, but if somebody throws me to the ground then all bets of further verbal discourse are pretty much null and void, until my personal safety is accounted for.

michael

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Good for you! So you egg the guy on, he gets mad and knocks you down, and then claim you're just acting in "self defense" kicking and hitting him with a metal object, and feel good that you gave him better than he gave you. Ok, sounds like what I used to tell my mom when I'd pick on my little brothers until they would come after me, which I used as justification to hit them. But I was 12 yrs old at the time ...

Nothing really to add...
    So who is wrong? ...or more wrong?

If the OP had been riding off the curb and caused a car to swerve and they got into an altercation over it and the driver came out on top what then is your comment to the biker?
    You will probably also chastise the biker for grabbing the driver.

So, while it's never clear cut, and who knows how they might react if this is not a regular occurrence, why chastise anyone for what was probably not a calculated response?

...and what if the jogger was really a bike thief with the intent of separating the OP from his bike? I'm sure the OP did not think to ask the jogger his intentions. It's a reaction. Most of us do not know what we would do in such a case. To berate someone as if we know better is wrong.

-F

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    So who is wrong? ...or more wrong?

If the OP had been riding off the curb and caused a car to swerve and they got into an altercation over it and the driver came out on top what then is your comment to the biker?
    You will probably also chastise the biker for grabbing the driver.

So, while it's never clear cut, and who knows how they might react if this is not a regular occurrence, why chastise anyone for what was probably not a calculated response?

...and what if the jogger was really a bike thief with the intent of separating the OP from his bike? I'm sure the OP did not think to ask the jogger his intentions. It's a reaction. Most of us do not know what we would do in such a case. To berate someone as if we know better is wrong.

-F
    Not "chastising" his actions, necessarily -- we've all gotten a little carried away, done things we maybe shouldn't have.

What I am criticizing a little bit is the fact that he is characterizing this as self defense, when by his own words, "egged the jogger on," and got in an altercation. Then he makes statements like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted" as though it was the jogger's fault.

Ummm, if one takes actions which are intended to, and do, cause a situation to escalate, he can hardly claim he was then assaulted, or had to fight in self defense. I would hope that a grownup could look at the OP's actions (in his own words) and realize it probably wasn't truly a self-defense scenario.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

is buachail foighneach me
    Not "chastising" his actions, necessarily -- we've all gotten a little carried away, done things we maybe shouldn't have.

What I am criticizing a little bit is the fact that he is characterizing this as self defense, when by his own words, "egged the jogger on," and got in an altercation. Then he makes statements like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted" as though it was the jogger's fault.

Ummm, if one takes actions which are intended to, and do, cause a situation to escalate, he can hardly claim he was then assaulted, or had to fight in self defense. I would hope that a grownup could look at the OP's actions (in his own words) and realize it probably wasn't truly a self-defense scenario.
    Order of events, according to the op:

Jogger attempted to jump out in front of him(which is technically jay-walking and illegal) without looking.

He alerted the jogger to his oncoming pressence for the joggers safety.

Jogger insulted him.

He "egged (the jogger) on".

Jogger assaulted him by tackling him.

He used kicks and his bike to get the jogger off of him and then left.

Sounds like self defense to me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bingo.

If someone grabs me, jogger, biker, boss, coworker, neighbor, stranger, it's on.

If I was the OP, and the other dude was a biker, I would have used his bike to assault him, just so mine didn't get damaged.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ran the OPs story through the internet truthilizer program (a complex algorithm that automatically adjusts claims made on the internet to the most likely reality) and it turns out the "runner" was actually an old lady with a walker. He accidentally clipped the old lady's walker with his bike as she was crossing the road and he was running a red light. Both of them fell to the ground. The old lady apologized even though she was not at fault and then tried to help the rider to his feet. He then tried to hit her with his bike claiming she was trying to attack him. She blocked his bike with her walker, and he fell to the ground again. She apologized and tried to help him again, but he slapped her hand away, got on his bike, and rode home crying.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Order of events, according to the op:

Jogger attempted to jump out in front of him(which is technically jay-walking and illegal) without looking.

He alerted the jogger to his oncoming pressence for the joggers safety.
    With you so far..

Jogger insulted him.
    Jogger got spooked and yelled "Nice driving, you tool!"

He "egged (the jogger) on".
    OP did "What the hell, you want a piece of me or what? Shut the f..k up, you bikeless ****!" then switched to "yo momma" insults.

Jogger assaulted him by tackling him.
    Jogger don't like anyone talking smack about his momma.

He used kicks and his bike to get the jogger off of him and then left.
    Things turn ugly.

Sounds like self defense to me.
    Does it sound like self defense if the OP is the one doing the main part of the trash talking? Sure, the other guy threw the first punch, but just how much "egging" was going on from the OP before that happened?

To me it all depends on what kind of verbal exchange tool place before the jogger got physical. The jogger might have been an aggressive piece of work going apeshit over a short verbal warning. On the other hand the jogger might just have reacted with a yell of some sort, making the OP go nuts with profanity until the jogger had enough of it.

So it all depends on what kind of "egging" was going on in my opinion and we only know one side of the story.

Professional Crastinator

I read you but I totally disagree.

You can yell and scream all you want at someone - as long as you are not threatening them (which we do not know in this case and so cannot comment upon). If they decide to make it into a physical instead of verbal confrontation, they are the ones who escalated the situation. So who escalated the situation? Statements after the fact (like "he was bleeding ...! Don't mess w/ mountain bikers. I will protect myself!" and "I will fight back when being assaulted") are irrelevant.

I do not encourage fighting, but I also do not encourage nor accept giving way to the assertions or aggressions of others. Obviously (I think) there is a very thin - like razor thin - middle ground between the two. It is a very difficult, thin line on which to balance. That's why I give the benefit of the doubt to the OP.

-F

Stucco Bucket
    IBP12

In before page 12.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Dude you are the king. Don't ruin it by apologizing. You did what you did and don't need to explain why to anyone on this thread. Quit second guessing yourself, pat yourself on the back and go riding. Next time you see him let us know how it comes out

Bro Mountainbiker
    Pedestrians? I call em obstacles!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Attacked by a Runner

That is one I never heard of. Good going. I hope other members here at are inspired by reading your story.

mtbr member
    We had an incident on a local trail two years ago when a trail runner threw a shoulder into a female mtn biker, knocking her to the ground.
    Aggressive people are around. I'm glad the OP took care of business with the jogger.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    You know 200 years ago You could have challenged him to a dual.
    Most commonly referred to as a duel.
    Dont frail and blow if youre going to Braille and Flow.

SANCTUS
    I would say since he upped the ante by assaulting you, it seems you had the right to defend yourself.The law may have other concerns as in maybe you provoked him? did you approach him in a aggressive manner? did he approach you in a aggressive manner? any witnesses? a word of advice, its not worth being convicted of felony assault, misdemeanor battery can quickly evolve to a felony.I try to avoid trouble while on my bike to the best of my ability, someone would have to assault me before I would defend myself. If someone is my face and foaming at the mouth I would formally demand that they back away, if not its open season and the law would be on my side. I believe peds have the right of way? but then we have the occasional ped ******* who makes it a point to position themselves in a confrontational way what a world.

Clyde on a mission!
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You can yell and scream all you want at someone - as long as you are not threatening them (which we do not know in this case and so cannot comment upon). If they decide to make it into a physical instead of verbal confrontation, they are the ones who escalated the situation.
    So a guy can yell all sorts of nastiness about you, your mother, your kids and your dog and you will never be the first to throw a fist?

To me the important bit is who picked the fight. Almost every fight I've seen started out verbally until one part had enough and threw a fist. The important part to me isn't who got fed up with the trash talking first, but who turned an innocent situation into conflict in the first place.

If I walk up to you and say I don't like the color of your hat and start insulting you, you might punch me before I punch you but that doesn't change the fact that I was the one to walk up to you and pick the fight.

Lets say you accidentally step on my foot in a crowded place and I go "Yo, watch your steps, bigfoot". The situation can then play out in three ways:

A) You say "Sorry, dude", I say "No worries, mate" and that's it.

B) You say "Sorry, dude" and I start talking trash about your big feet, your small brain and your ugly girlfriend. That makes me the aggressor no matter who later decides to throw the first punch.

C) You turn around and say "Who are you calling bigfoot, pencildick?" and then continues to talk smack about my dog and my mother. That makes you the aggressor no matter who later throws the first punch.

As for the OP vs. the jogger, the story doesn't tell how it started, except the jogger yelled something uncalled for but that might just have been a "watch it, cyclegeek" for all we know. Who then started trash talking is yet to be known, and we'll probably never know that unless some witness steps forward.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozh View Post
    Good job..eff-whatever the nay sayers are saying.. if you dont defend yourself who's gonna do it for you?
    Obama?

High Desert MTBer
    There are a lot of different possible scenarios here as have been pointed out. None of us know what really happened. It's a good thing that the OP is here and able to post about it, and the story is not one that pro and anti gun people are using to illustrate their viewpoints.

It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Next time someones in my way i'm bike slappin them!

mtbr member
    doesn't faster traffic yield to slower traffic where you live? On trails, bikes yield to hikers. What was the op doing riding off trails anyways? This should be on Road Bike Review forums.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    "Your Honor, I submit Prosecution Exhibit 1. This is an admission by the defendant in which he brags on a message board about brutally assaulting the victim in this case."

banned

pedal on

We the jury of MTBR find the OP, not guilty. Seeing how this is the only court that will ever hear such a case. Pedal on people, pedal on.

mtbr member
    It's a good thing neither you or the runner had a sword, otherwise, things would have turned rather quickly.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just want to find the car forum where the people riding by posted about how they were laughing their asses off as they watched a cyclist and runner flailing around in the road thinking they were in a fight.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    I feel bad that I laughed at this. I wouldn't have reacted the same way. Ignoring the walker would've been the best thing to do.

Jason
    It's all good until someone puts their hands on me. Yelling at me is one thing but if someone were to actually ever pull me off my bike... it's over. Gloves off!
    Jason

TRANCER
    This board is full of ****ing pussies
    Ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm willing to bet it was mostly a "Watch where you're riding a**hat," from the runner. In my case, I probably would have just flipped him off and worried more about maintaining my momentum. However, the OP stopped and exchanged words. Probably not the smartest move, but hey, we've all made bad decisions. However, if the OP's story is correct, the moment he hopped on his bike to ride away, he was attempting to exit the situation without further incident. I'm no lawyer, but after that, the OP was no longer a threat to the runner and the runner initiated the incident. The OP has the right to defend himself until he can reasonably escape or there is no longer a perceived threat.

On the other hand, if he stood there chest-bumping and threatening the runner, he deserved to get thrown on his a*&.

To the OP, I understand not wanting to take crap from others. I really do. But, nothing good comes from a d*%-swinging contest. Next time, just suck it up, be the big man, and keep going. At the most, say something on the fly or just give him the finger.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    You should have cocked you head back and gone into windmill wrist fighting mode. All the while dancing on clickity cleats....oh yeah let out high pitched squeals between windmill rotations ....scream like you mean it.

scared to post
    one word: Valium
    i'm not joking, posting is scary

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by legal alien View Post
    You should have cocked you head back and gone into windmill wrist fighting mode. All the while dancing on clickity cleats....oh yeah let out high pitched squeals between windmill rotations ....scream like you mean it.
    We have a winner!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dexetr30 View Post
    It's all good until someone puts their hands on me.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0OnpkDWbeJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    If some fagg0t runner tried to sh!t talk me, I'd take my skirt off right there in the middle of the street so I could kick his p*ssy @ss

mtbr member
    He grabbed you. He deserved taken down just on general principle. Kicking a man when he's down is just plain GHETTO! Be better that that and offer to put him down again if he chooses to get back up! What ever happened to making someone cry "uncle"??
    Last edited by Badassbassangler; 02-05-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Obama?
    Hey now, please refrain from taking my avatar in vain.

Emobama is non-confrontational and a bit aloof on his vintage Columbia, bespoked in skinny apparel and a Hello Kitty handlebar bell.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

All fat, all the time.
    Wow, got a neg rep for for suggesting to walk away & not egg on the "attacker".

Nice. If you are going to do that, at least have the balls to sign your neg rep comment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    now thats a dude i wanna go riding with, i hate the hikers on my local trails i wanna beat the **** out of them too. hehehehe

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The answer is both of you.....

To the obvious question of which of you was acting like a d-bag

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    So a guy can yell all sorts of nastiness about you, your mother, your kids and your dog and you will never be the first to throw a fist?

To me the important bit is who picked the fight. Almost every fight I've seen started out verbally until one part had enough and threw a fist. The important part to me isn't who got fed up with the trash talking first, but who turned an innocent situation into conflict in the first place.

If I walk up to you and say I don't like the color of your hat and start insulting you, you might punch me before I punch you but that doesn't change the fact that I was the one to walk up to you and pick the fight.

Lets say you accidentally step on my foot in a crowded place and I go "Yo, watch your steps, bigfoot". The situation can then play out in three ways:

A) You say "Sorry, dude", I say "No worries, mate" and that's it.

B) You say "Sorry, dude" and I start talking trash about your big feet, your small brain and your ugly girlfriend. That makes me the aggressor no matter who later decides to throw the first punch.

C) You turn around and say "Who are you calling bigfoot, pencildick?" and then continues to talk smack about my dog and my mother. That makes you the aggressor no matter who later throws the first punch.

As for the OP vs. the jogger, the story doesn't tell how it started, except the jogger yelled something uncalled for but that might just have been a "watch it, cyclegeek" for all we know. Who then started trash talking is yet to be known, and we'll probably never know that unless some witness steps forward.
    My point was that no matter who "escalated" it, no one can honestly make a judgement on who was right or more right. So our judgement is moot. We all can certainly have an opinion, but we don't have enough info to make any judgement. The OP should not feel too bad about it.

We should all be like this guy:

-F

Chubby Chaser
    Wow, got a neg rep for for suggesting to walk away & not egg on the "attacker".

Nice. If you are going to do that, at least have the balls to sign your neg rep comment.
    People are all about being "macho".

If I mouthed off to every single person who cut me off while I'm driving/riding or did something rude to me I'd have a rap sheet longer than Santa's X-mas wishlist.

IMO sucking it up in a situation like the OP's and just taking a deep breath and moving along is not being a poo-see. You never know..... the guy who you mouthed off to might have an extremely short fuse and is a huge fan of the 2nd amendment, before you know it he'll whip out his CCW and failure drill your arse.... just for having the audacity to give him lip.

The sword you're carrying on your ride will do you absolutely no good.

mtbr member

Whoa!

I often ride alone in lion country. I'm Irish. I usually carry "Counter attack" grizzly pepper spray or a PPK.

If someone wants a fight, I'm outta there. "Self-defense" may be an appropriate legal defense, but it will be very expensive. Plus, there's the Karma aspect.

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    If some fagg0t runner tried to sh!t talk me, I'd take my skirt off right there in the middle of the street so I could kick his p*ssy @ss
    Would it go like this with a massive hand slap to start things off?
    wrong guy slap - YouTube
    and is this you?
    sasquatch rides a ss chillen

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    10 years ago I would have pounded his a$$ in to the ground, If this were to happen to me today, I would call the fuzz and charge him with assault after he knocked me down. I would rather give the guy a record than a busted up face.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    From what I know about pedestrian laws, it does not matter whether you are driving a car, riding a motorcycle or riding a bicycle, pedestrians have the right of way.

DILLIGAF
    OP is trolling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    When someone grabs you and throws you to the ground,natural instinct kicks in and you protect yourself.Beating him with bike ?? probably not.

I was riding a remote section of WV several years ago when i had to hit some blacktop to complete my loop when an old rusty pickup drove inches from me and back fired the exhaust.The loud explosion and the fact that the truck was so close caused me to crash in a ditch.I heard them laughing.

MAN......i came up out of that ditch shaking my fist,waving them to turn around,cussing and flipping the bird.
    It worked,they were intimidated,they feared for there lives,there very existence was in question.I WAS THE MAN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird View Post
    I was riding a remote section of WV several years ago when i had to hit some blacktop to complete my loop when an old rusty pickup drove inches from me and back fired the exhaust.The loud explosion and the fact that the truck was so close caused me to crash in a ditch.I heard them laughing.

MAN......i came up out of that ditch shaking my fist,waving them to turn around,cussing and flipping the bird.
    It worked,they were intimidated,they feared for there lives,there very existence was in question.I WAS THE MAN.
    Can someone actually laugh so hard they die as a result of it? And if so, could you be charged with murder?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Would it go like this with a massive hand slap to start things off?
    wrong guy slap - YouTube
    and is this you?
    sasquatch rides a ss chillen
    All I can say is yes..to both questions..yes..

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah.....and since that incident I've gotten a gold tooth and a tattoo that reads "don't play with fire".can you relate?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Two "altercations". Both in Tohelluride, Co with "bleeding heart", "peace-loving" individuals.

1) Riding my dirt bike thru town. Licensed, quiet bike. Just riding very slowly. Stopped at a red light and a "granola" crosses in front of us and flips us the finger. We just laughed which really pissed her off. We: Me: age 45 at the time. Friend: 47. Other friend: 70! Not like we we kids out to "rape the Earth".

2) Riding dirt bike again. Close to entrance road to Imogene Pass. I ask a MOUNTAIN BIKER(of all people) if the road in front of us went up to Imogene. He says no and tells me some bit of misinformation(lies to me) about how to get there. I went around the block and found out I was indeed at the right place. Dude is maybe 1/4 mile up the road by now, I just eased the bike up next to him and NICELY thanked him for the directions and then eased my bike to the right and edged him near the edge of the road(nice drop off there to get his attention)...... and went on my merry way.

Some very ugly and rude people in Teluride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    ".

2) Riding dirt bike again. Close to entrance road to Imogene Pass. I ask a MOUNTAIN BIKER(of all people) if the road in front of us went up to Imogene. He says no and tells me some bit of misinformation(lies to me) about how to get there. I went around the block and found out I was indeed at the right place. Dude is maybe 1/4 mile up the road by now, I just eased the bike up next to him and NICELY thanked him for the directions and then eased my bike to the right and edged him near the edge of the road(nice drop off there to get his attention)...... and went on my merry way.Some very ugly and rude people in Teluride!
    You, my good sir, are a tool. And at your age, you should know better. I'm shocked that he did not proceed to kick the living f*ck out of you for being such a p*ssy.

Perpetual n00b
    Pedestrian could have been Mike VanDeman!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ouch!

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    You, my good sir, are a tool. And at your age, you should know better. I'm shocked that he did not proceed to kick the living f*ck out of you for being such a p*ssy.
    lol, how do you really feel?

banned
    Sep 2010

Ironic that this comes from a "tool" that posts about confiscating peoples ear buds on the trails. take a long look in the mirror before you start calling names.

mtbr member
    Ironic that this comes from a "tool" that posts about confiscating peoples ear buds on the trails. take a long look in the mirror before you start calling names.
    I'm a bit disturbed that you choose to side with someone who decides to cause harm to a mountain biker via running him off the road with a motorcycle. You may not like me, but please use your head before you single me out.

AZ
    banned
    I'm a bit disturbed that you choose to side with someone who decides to cause harm to a mountain biker via running him off the road with a motorcycle. You may not like me, but please use your head before you single me out.

I did not read that post as running anyone off of the road.

QUOTE: "and edged him near the edge of the road"

Just throwin that out there.

mtbr member
    Sh!t jus got real up in her!

banned
    Sep 2010

Reading is fundamental, next time use your head first. Try to improve your comprehension before posting more of your inane ramblings. And yes, I do not like you.

"2 Wycked"
    Hell must've just froze over. (I agree with you)

AZ
    banned
    One way to deal with unruly runners:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jKv-9oH9NIY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    At any rate, the OP's form was all wrong. Proper cycling ettiquette dictates that if the cyclist must come to fisticuffs, the wheel is the correct weapon to use, not the bike frame or the entire bike itself. Here is an example of how it should be done:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pAEf9hv0v4s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Singletrack Mind

I've had this scenario happen so many times...

I count how many: I'm pedaling up a multi-use trail, approach a runner or hiker from behind. Being a Good Trail Ambassador, I call out something nice at first - "Mornin'!"

No reaction. I'm 10 yards away. "On your left!" No reaction. Closer yet, and then I see them - white headphone cords.

Great. Just as I'm wondering whether to yell even louder, or pass nice and slow, the person senses me and FREAKS OUT! I see this look of shock on their face, like they could never fathom there would be another individual using the park at the same time they are. Sometimes there's even a little jump involved - and/or a squeak. But, before they've hit the ground again, the shock turns to anger, and suddenly this oblivious individual, rocking out to tunes in his/her own little world, is all PO'd that I've ruined their private moment. I get a frown, a snarl, sometimes even a bad word or two.

Lame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sablotny View Post
    I count how many: I'm pedaling up a multi-use trail, approach a runner or hiker from behind. Being a Good Trail Ambassador, I call out something nice at first - "Mornin'!"

No reaction. I'm 10 yards away. "On your left!" No reaction. Closer yet, and then I see them - white headphone cords.

Great. Just as I'm wondering whether to yell even louder, or pass nice and slow, the person senses me and FREAKS OUT! I see this look of shock on their face, like they could never fathom there would be another individual using the park at the same time they are. Sometimes there's even a little jump involved - and/or a squeak. But, before they've hit the ground again, the shock turns to anger, and suddenly this oblivious individual, rocking out to tunes in his/her own little world, is all PO'd that I've ruined their private moment. I get a frown, a snarl, sometimes even a bad word or two.

Lame.

And what makes it worse when they hear you and you call out on your left and they do not know their right from left and jump right in front of you.

Todd

banned
    Feb 2012
    You sound like you have very tough guy and large muscles. Can you explain your best fighting styles so we can protect ourselves when we run out of space with runners on the streets.

mtbr member
    Just wanted to share a story of what happened between a jogger and myself last summer.

I was riding on the side of street and jogger was running on the sidewalk. As I was passing him, he suddenly turned his head towards the street and spit a good one. Caught most of it on my fork and wheel but got some spray on my legs. I thought of stopping to confront him but decided that getting into confrontation on way to the trails was not a smart idea so I just turned and gave him the stink eye. About a block and half down as I was stopped at a red light, the jogger catches up and starts to apologize for getting spit on me. He then pulls out his water bottle from his fanny pack and proceeded to rinse the spit off my bike. He then wished me a safe and fun ride and went on his way. Not all joggers are evil. Just my story.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Flight baby...

Seems as though most members here subscribe to the "flight" option vs the "fight" option.

Just an observation.

Hey, at least the pedestrian didn't cause the biker to swerve out into traffic and get all runned overs by an autobuses..

I do tend to think that normal folk see me in my pansy tight colorful happy kit and assume that there will be no altercation if challenged. MMA fighters wear tight pants too btw..

I am not an advocate of violence by any means, but sometimes it is called for...

If the biker was attacked physically first, then he does have a right to fight back. Keeping cool while physically fighting back is not as easy as some seem to suggest.

Yeh, he egged the guy on....so what..

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Seems as though most members here subscribe to the "flight" option vs the "fight" option.

Just an observation.

Hey, at least the pedestrian didn't cause the biker to swerve out into traffic and get all runned overs by an autobuses..

I do tend to think that normal folk see me in my pansy tight colorful happy kit and assume that there will be no altercation if challenged. MMA fighters wear tight pants too btw..

I am not an advocate of violence by any means, but sometimes it is called for...

If the biker was attacked physically first, then he does have a right to fight back. Keeping cool while physically fighting back is not as easy as some seem to suggest.

Yeh, he egged the guy on....so what..

Agreed. Only thing is you absolutely have to wait until they attempt physical violence first, and make sure you have an audience, then you can whoop ass to protect yourself. Otherwise, it's best just to turn the other cheek and live to ride another day. Most people have jobs and obligations and can't afford to spend any amount of time in jail or the ER.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    why is this thread 6 pages

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    BECAUSE no one has told me (or i havent read) who really has the right of way while street riding ( i know i know mtbr forum). Example: yesterday while road riding i was riding in a lane with another biker tailing with a car passing WHILST a middle age woman comes jogging straight at us in the street aganist the flow of traffic ignoring the perfesctly good sidewalk. (needless to say the woman had to wait and was very displeased) but who really had the right of way?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    got one...
    Drunk dude at a Xmas party picking on me for no reason. Then talks smack about My girlfrend. He slaps me in the ear and face and pushes me around. 2 hours pass of me blowing it off and telling him to stop touching me. He does it again immediately after I said not to touch me (slaps me in the face) so I shatter a coffee mug on his head...

Ready... Go!
    Find a better Xmas party this year? Unless of course it was grampa talking sh*t because he had too much eggnog, then it was perfectly ok to lay the smack down on his old a**.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari View Post
    why is this thread 6 pages
    Because people respond...much like you just did

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    1.I was serieious about the right of way question between road riders and joggers running in street aganist traffic if anyone actually knows the answer. 2. The fella got off good with just a coffe mug, my last party shenanigans, was a hand made pottery serving plate shattered over my chums head (we have since reconcilled out differences). Needless to say the girl who's dish it was, was not happy about the situation and crying. SO WHOS GOT THE RIGHT OF WAY

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    I can't believe how many people are coming down on the op! The other guy was way out of line from the get go, both literally and figuratively. If I try to give someone a heads up that they are about to get hit and they berate me for the warning, I will respond in kind. If they then assault me, I will also respond in kind. It sounds to me like all the people accusing the op of needing an ego boost are trying to boost their own ego by telling us how superior their character is compared to the op.
    The whole situation really had segments of poor judgement. Some of OP's reaction was certainly acceptable in that the guy grabbed him. The OP responded how he responded, because he felt attacked. Afterwards he got carried away with beating the guy with his bike. Totally unnecessary. What if you had hit him wrong and killed the guy? You'd have a life sentence facing you. As far as the jogger. I'm glad the OP put the guy on his rear. That much he deserved. Lastly, posting here and looking for affirmation is rather childish.
    You did what you thought was necessary, now move on. I'm sure this isn't the first case like this nor will it be the last. I run into idiots everyday driving to or from work.

I'm just glad nobody was critically injured.

Beer is my spirit animal
    Oh, to have been a fly on the wall....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ChizmoNC View Post
    1.I was serieious about the right of way question between road riders and joggers running in street aganist traffic if anyone actually knows the answer.
    I'm not a legal expert, but I believe in this situation the pedestrian has the right of way vs. vehicles including bikes. That said, if I was the jogger I would have jumped up on the sidewalk and given a nod/wave as you passed because it is much easier for both of us that way and I'm not a self-important jerk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What's up with the joggers in the bike lane, in traffic, running in the opposite direction, towards you. . .because the paved sidewalk just isn't good enough for them?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Oops I posted the wrong link
    Deleted
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 02-19-2012 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for the right of way response, i figured its always the pedestrian who's in the right. It's just kind of wacky to me to be running aganist traffic in the street in a known high bike traffic area, with a nice sidewalk nearby ( and for mtb purposes for me its whos going up hill be it bike/ped gets to keep on trucking)

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride the road sometimes, and there is a girl that is always out running
    aganist traffic in the bike lane. I don't like it, but she is so damn cute I can't
    get mad at her, and I never say anything but hi.

Best, John

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Bomber View Post
    What's up with the joggers in the bike lane, in traffic, running in the opposite direction, towards you. . .because the paved sidewalk just isn't good enough for them?

It is to avoid running on the uneven surfaces that most sidewalks have.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post

The first guy to throw a fist in a verbal exchange like you describe is the guy who can't come up with a better insult.

Been a long time since anyone's played the dozens better than I do. OR put me on my ass.

Winning!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I understand why they would, but truthfully it's not a good idea if it's overpopulated?
    I don't know what the solution is, but the sidewalk would be safer. People run on MTB trails and they don't complain about uneven surfaces.

I guess the argument is, "we are all allowed to be there." The solution, you need to find a way to play nice in the sandbox!!!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dhosinski View Post
    People run on MTB trails and they don't complain about uneven surfaces.
    Probably not the same people who are running on the road.

AZ
    banned
    I understand why they would, but truthfully it's not a good idea if it's overpopulated?
    I don't know what the solution is, but the sidewalk would be safer. People run on MTB trails and they don't complain about uneven surfaces.

I guess the argument is, "we are all allowed to be there." The solution, you need to find a way to play nice in the sandbox!!!

The runners could use the same argument, if it is over populated the cyclists should ride somewhere else.

Trail runners expect uneven surfaces, it is akin to road bikers being surprised by a pothole.

Although it would seem that sidewalks would be safer they are in fact not. You could draw the same conclusion about sidewalks being safer for bikes, but we all know that is not so.

Peaceful co-existence and some tolerance of other users is the path of least resistance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The runners could use the same argument, if it is over populated the cyclists should ride somewhere else.
    Although it would seem that sidewalks would be safer they are in fact not. You could draw the same conclusion about sidewalks being safer for bikes, but we all know that is not so.

Peaceful co-existence and some tolerance of other users is the path of least resistance.
    Exactly.
    I'm always a little amused at a trail (or road) user treating another trail user the way they hate being treated by other trail users.

As someone that spends quite a bit of time on sidewalks (I walk my dog daily, my office is downtown and I walk to the post office daily, and I occasionally run), they are far from safe. Cars pulling out of driveways almost never stop at the sidewalk (or even see you if you are on the sidewalk), cars pulling out of cross streets rarely pay attention to people on sidewalks, and in the winter in my area, sidewalks are often covered with ice and snow when the road is not.

As to who has the "right-of-way" when a runner is in the road (or bike lane)? Honestly, does it really need to come to this? Me personally, I would check traffic as I see the runner approaching and adjust my speed so I can pull into a reasonably safe spot in traffic to give the runner room. I'm certainly safer on a bike riding in traffic than he is on foot running against it.

Even on the trail, these right-of-way arguments are kind of silly. I figure everyone is out to have a good time, so if I'm riding uphill on a fun downhill, I'll give the downhill rider the trail because it's not really inconveniencing me and I know how it sucks to stop in the middle of a nice downhill. If it's a tough climb and stopping would not allow me to get started again, I'll keep the trail but try to give the downhill guy some room to pass if possible. I do the same thing on ski trails, and have never really had a conflict.

A little courtesy goes a long way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    Probably not the same people who are running on the road.
    Actually, I think you'd be surprized. If they like to run, marathons etc, they will entertain any course. However, I understand the group you are referring to.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc

On a lighter note --->

Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
    Sep 2010

This one time, at band camp......

I was out with friends bar hopping in the 90's and they proceeded to get into 3 fights in 1 hr and kicked out of 3 bars in a row. I would hover, make sure nobody was getting hurt badly ( I don't fight and I am small ). I got stuck paying the last cab ride, received my change and by the time I walked into 4th club they were already throwing blows. WTF? They were even pissed at me for not helping! Very funny night. Those dudes just like to dance. One time I was hanging out with a dude from the other group drinking a beer, and we were laughing together that our respective crews were fighting. Weird. I really don't get it but it has been like this for THOUSANDS of years. Some people are warriors.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride View Post
    ^^^ I bet he came in turd place...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpride View Post

On a lighter note --->

/\ Tis why I run, for the scenery.

Beer is my spirit animal
    I wouldn't mind a good roll around on the pavement with THAT runner.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

the half breed devil
    why use your fists? NEVER hit ANYBODY with your hands unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO...pepper spray works just fine and usually fits in a jersey pocket...

CopsPlus - Shop For Personal Pepper Spray

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    why use your fists? NEVER hit ANYBODY with your hands unless you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO...pepper spray works just fine and usually fits in a jersey pocket...

CopsPlus - Shop For Personal Pepper Spray

Better to avoid the problem in the first place.

the half breed devil
    Better to avoid the problem in the first place.
    indeed. i wholeheartedly agree with you. but when somebody lays hands on a man, action must be taken.

nothing beats a chemical billy club...

Evil Empire MTB Club
    Aug 2010

Used your bike?

I wasn't there so I cant comment on who was right or wrong. It all sounds dependent on who said what. Most fights involve a wrong reaction on both sides (thats usually how a fight starts), but my only thought is, why the bike?
    Sometimes a sound thrashing is called for, ya know, a rap on the old jack johnson, but if it cant be administered with good old fist- ee - cuffs, is it really worth the time?
    What if the bike had broken somehow? Some times a brawl is unavoidable, but IMO if you need a weapon of any kind you were the weaker person.
    Your bike probably wouldn't have been any good if he had a knife or a gun.
    Karma exists and will catch up with whoever was wrong.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am not a lawyer, nor did I sleep at a Holiday Inn last night, but I believe:

1) It varies from one jurisdiction to another, but there are some where so-called 'fighting words' are taken into account.

2) As for pedestrians ALWAYS having the right of way, they generally do, but that doesn't mean they can be completely negligent and step into the path of a vehicle whenever they choose.

As for the OP, personally I don't have any heartburn over the incident if it unfolded as stated, but the local law enforcement and civil courts may be another story. Street justice doesn't always unfold as it should and things like this can get inconvenient and very expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that's why that we have to be always be aware of anybody

R T
    mtbr member
    I have zero patience. That said biking taught me some. I was out for a ride with a couple friends when I was new to road cycling. Some asshat lipped off for the three of us riding on the road properly in single file like we should be. We were only doing 35 in a 50 and he was in a hurry to get to the red light 200 feet ahead before we did. I was fuming, was told to calm down by one buddy while the other one simply rolled up, stood up next to asshats open window and asked him what he said. All you heard was rubber squealing and he took an immediate right. All it took was words. Well that and the other friend is 6'5" and not a small lad. Point is unless really really being provoked, it's never worth it. Courts, cops, lawyers etc. It can get costly and all blow up in your face.

mtbr member
    Sidewalks are concrete and one of the worst surfaces you can run on. Trail running is my first preference but if I have to run the streets I will run in the bike lane for the asphalt.

mtbr member
    I love how i got negative rep for this. Somebody doesn't know what sarcasm is Whoever it is has 6 rep points I do know that

mtbr member
    hmmm...Tanin you have 6 rep points...and I got negative repped approximately 7 hours ago..and as I'm typing this it shows your post was 7 hours before mine...hmmm..

Beer is my spirit animal
    I love how i got negative rep for this. Somebody doesn't know what sarcasm is Whoever it is has 6 rep points I do know that
    We also know they have petite huevos.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    hmmm...Tanin you have 6 rep points...and I got negative repped approximately 7 hours ago..and as I'm typing this it shows your post was 7 hours before mine...hmmm..
    Haha! Can't wait for the new sherlocke Holmes movie 2013!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    oooo I know why, because they did not sign their name? am i right?

banned
    Whats up with the grade school posts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm beginning to get tired of seeing this one. It's funny, that people were criticizing this guy for posting here and look what it's grown to? I'd close this one.

banned
    Sep 2010
    This thread actually took a turn for the better until the peanut gallery decided to try to derail it. The next person that posts about "rep" should be perma banned imo.

Is not amused
    Sasquatch rides a SS, with your post you just helped me narrow down a problem just like yours. Thank you. And for the record this thread took a turn for the worst sense it was started, no offense to the OP.

mtbr member
    +1 Hutch. This thread has been a joke since post #1. Nobody likes negative reppers, I point it out to make others aware and I'm the bad guy, nice guys

banned
    +1 Hutch. This thread has been a joke since post #1. Nobody likes negative reppers, I point it out to make others aware and I'm the bad guy, nice guys

Put a sock in it and quit whining, are you 3 years old?

mtbr member
    Nobody likes negative reppers roadie scum, nobody

banned
    Nobody likes negative reppers roadie scum, nobody

Back at ya. You were wrong.

mtbr member

*edit* props for signing yours too, surprising

Beer is my spirit animal
    By the way, since no one has said it yet and this thread WAS doomed from the get go, hey OP, pics or it didn't happen.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Sasquatch,
    Flattered than I'm the focus of your misguided love but until this post I didn't know you existed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OR, maybe they do understand sarcasm and didn't like you making fun of their skirt.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This thread actually took a turn for the better until the peanut gallery decided to try to derail it. The next person that posts about "rep" should be perma banned imo.
    Ooops, posted in wrong thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnyspinspin View Post
    By the way, since no one has said it yet and this thread WAS doomed from the get go, hey OP, pics or it didn't happen.
    Haha Calling it Shananigans!!!!!

Beer is my spirit animal
    Haha Calling it Shananigans!!!!!
    The next person who says "shenanigans" gets pistol-whipped!
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Beer Me!
    Shenanigans super troopers- 720p! - YouTube

Edit: Bout time this thread got off topic, still surprised it stayed on topic as long as it did.

"2 Wycked"
    What was the name of that restaurant you like with all the goofy sh*t on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

mtbr member
    Seriously this thread is still going?
    I really feel sorry for people who are so timid and afraid they cannot, or will not fight.
    Jesus everyone at some point in their lives should get a blackeye standing up for what they believe is right.

Beer Me!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gspBxOJg510" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beer is my spirit animal
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurr View Post
    Seriously this thread is still going?
    I really feel sorry for people who are so timid and afraid they cannot, or will not fight.
    Jesus everyone at some point in their lives should get a blackeye standing up for what they believe is right.
    Or at least for not listening.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ok, we'll just say "SHENS!!!!!"

Is not amused
    How about some....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Attacked by a runner!-628x471.jpg  

Beer Me!
    Good video of what this thread is becoming:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1r9OfV8NPN8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    How about some....
    HAHA! VERY NICE!

All fat, all the time.
    Nice...someone signed a neg "- shiggy" find that hard to believe....he's a nice guy.

tl1
    Bicyclist

Great idea

Quote Originally Posted by manchvegas View Post
    I think we should have a poll just like the local radio show around here, "who's the D****E B*g"
    Let's model our lives after some poor schmucks that got stuck working in radio and are trying to come up with stuff that inflames people in a desperate attempt to get ratings.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Ends up fighting a jogger over a complete misunderstanding ....wow

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Maybe to much

Flying in High in the Sky
    Jul 2011
    So, the moral of the story is....?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Wasn't there a Star Trek episode about this? If I recall correctly, Captain Kirk resolved the conflict by bringing in some lustful Klingon cheerleaders who took both of the miscreants to the ground before grinding them into blissful submission.

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1 View Post
    Let's model our lives after some poor schmucks that got stuck working in radio and are trying to come up with stuff that inflames people in a desperate attempt to get ratings.
    "stuck" working in radio? i beg to differ. i love it even though i do it for free...

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    "stuck" working in radio? i beg to differ. i love it even though i do it for free...

If you do it for free it's called "community service".

mtbr member
    1) this thread is hilarious. Real story or not.

2) IMO, don't waste your time. Not saying tuck your tail between your buttcheeks, just know that the other guy is probably an idiot (if that is what happened).

3) The windmilling fists with "clickity cleats" and ocasional banshee yells sounds like the best option for next time.

Live and learn, right?
    Ride your bike and be happy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    as much as everyone wants to argue, the fact is that the jogger made the first blow and it was not only dangerous, but violent as well. I firmly believe he was in the right to throw some blows while he was being attacked. Just because he effectively got the jogger off and did more damage to the jogger does not put him in the wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

TSounds like there was multiple ways this could have been avoided. Flip him the bird and keep on riding!
    a thousand times this. *******s are just not worth the extra energy spent. save that energy for your ride imo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0