Attach New Headbadge- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401

    Attach New Headbadge

    I just purchased a new head badge for a steel bike I own and I need to attach it. What's the best method to do so without damaging the head badge or the bike? I am leaning towards 3M VHB double-sided tape. The badge is metal (bronze) and the bike is steel (painted and clear coated).

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: astom22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    373
    I would go with the double sided tape. If you ever need to remove it, just use a heat gun and dental floss.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,912
    Quote Originally Posted by astom22 View Post
    I would go with the double sided tape. If you ever need to remove it, just use a heat gun and dental floss.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    This ^
    Make sure the tape you choose is made by 3M.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401
    Ordered 1/2" 3M VHB automotive adhesive from Amazon. Thanks!

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,930
    Did you have a headbadge custom made? Or did you buy one that was already made? I've been tempted to have one custom made.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Did you have a headbadge custom made? Or did you buy one that was already made? I've been tempted to have one custom made.

    I had one made. I am riding a Surly Wednesday and ran across Revolution Cycle Jewelry. She has a bunch of Surly custom badges. I emailed Jen and she was great. I'll post pic once mounted.

    https://www.headbadges.com/store/c1/..._Products.html

  7. #7
    Flat Pluto Society
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    16,309
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    I had one made. I am riding a Surly Wednesday and ran across Revolution Cycle Jewelry. She has a bunch of Surly custom badges. I emailed Jen and she was great. I'll post pic once mounted.

    https://www.headbadges.com/store/c1/..._Products.html
    Those are nice!

    So she had no recommendation on how to attach them?
    Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Those are nice!

    So she had no recommendation on how to attach them?
    She recommended JB Weld. I was concerned it may damage the finished frame. I decided just to see what suggestions I might find here as well

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,930
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    She recommended JB Weld. I was concerned it may damage the finished frame. I decided just to see what suggestions I might find here as well
    Odd. I have browsed a number of custom headbadge makers (including this one) and that's the first jb weld recommendation I've seen. Most recommend 3m vhb, unless the badge is designed to be screwed/riveted to the frame, and they have instructions for that, too. IMO, jb weld is too permanent.

    I just got a Guerrilla Gravity Pedalhead frame, and have thought about getting a headbadge made for it. Currently, it's just a sticker, but an actual badge would be cool.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mr Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    10,742
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    I had one made. I am riding a Surly Wednesday and ran across Revolution Cycle Jewelry.
    Yeah, nice work. Rather pricey though.

    I've seen stock headbadges stuck on with double-sided tape. Most car badges are held on that way. You can buy the foam tape at car parts stores. If you want really sticky, buy the number plate stuff.


  11. #11
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    25,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Yeah, nice work. Rather pricey though.
    Not really. They are hand made metal artwork, basically.

    You can see that this particular seller has some stock designs that are much less expensive than having one made completely from scratch. And there are definitely details that can add to the cost, both from a materials standpoint as well as a labor/complication standpoint.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Not really. They are hand made metal artwork, basically.

    You can see that this particular seller has some stock designs that are much less expensive than having one made completely from scratch. And there are definitely details that can add to the cost, both from a materials standpoint as well as a labor/complication standpoint.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Yup...agree 100%. Yes a not cheap, but you get what you pay for and her stock Surly artwork is pretty unique.

    I am going to go with 14mm VHB foam tape I think. I do not like the fact it'll elevate the badge from the frame, but it seems to be the thinnest I can find in-store so far. I think much thinner and you could have contact issues.

  13. #13
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    33,912
    JB Weld? Not! Double sided tape for the win. Even riveting it on would be better than JB Weld. At least you could drill and cut the rivets out in the future if needed. JB Weld is a permanent and will ruin the frame if down the road you decide to remove it.

    In any case what ever you decide be sure to add the head badge into this thread. Custom ones are always welcomed.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/head-...ad-955507.html
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    JB Weld? Not! Double sided tape for the win. Even riveting it on would be better than JB Weld. At least you could drill and cut the rivets out in the future if needed. JB Weld is a permanent and will ruin the frame if down the road you decide to remove it.

    In any case what ever you decide be sure to add the head badge into this thread. Custom ones are always welcomed.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/head-...ad-955507.html
    I'll post once atached. I have 12mm VHB for automotive use. I think I'll try that unless I find a thinner 3m tape.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1
    I had a custom badge made by Revolution Cycle jewelry. Turned out very nice. I have some 3M strips (grey, for automotive) that I'll try to use. Will have to carefully trim, as the shape isn't 'normal'
    Attach New Headbadge-20190513_152351.jpg

  16. #16
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,093
    Wow those are nice. Once I am not on a budget, my lenz needs one.

Similar Threads

  1. Rocky Mountain headbadge
    By jantje in forum Rocky Mountain
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-15-2014, 11:51 PM
  2. a different take on the new metal headbadge
    By ignazjr in forum Turner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 12:10 PM
  3. check out my new headbadge!
    By wolfy in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2006, 06:59 PM
  4. Walt's new headbadge
    By cruzthepug in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2006, 07:28 PM
  5. Pic of the new Ventana headbadge
    By AOK in forum Ventana
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 06:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.