Armor?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armor?

mtbr member

Armor?

Who wears some armor and what percentage of the time do you wear it when riding and what parts of your body are you covering? How much do you feel the armor has saved you from a broken bone or other serious injury?

mtbr member
    Knee pads. Always on downhill. Sometime not on hot days and long climbs but I put them on at the top. I've taken a couple of hard whacks that would have at least been sore for a couple weeks if not worse. One broken patella is enough for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    after my last spill i am seriously thinking about kneepads. it would have saved me 1 whole month of recovery.

mtbr member
    After a few bad injuries, I bought a hefty amount of armor, as I'm 41 and starting to get brittle. I have a 661 underarmor shirt, elbow pads, knee/shin pads...hell, I even have ankle pads. However, I've improved to the point where I really only use the knee/shin pads and the ankle pads (I am always amazed at how many hits ankles can get). I keep the elbow pads in my pack now and if I know I'll be heading to something more technical I will pull them out at the trail itself, but the shirt stays in storage now awaiting cooler weather. Wearing a full set of armor in the summer is brutal. I would rather take my chances with the trail than to keel over from heat exhaustion.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    DH'r here, and I wear a full upper armor (even in the summer, but I ride early mornings) shin/knee pads, and a fox padded under shorts. All these protection items are worth it!

Ride or die
    Anymore, I wear 661 evo on my knees and elbows most of the time and some POC Bone on chunky stuff. I don't mind riding pads uphill, so I keep them on all the time. I am just not into skinned knees and elbows anymore. It's just not very cool at 36.

DynoDon
    only below 60 degrees, too hot to wear any extra gear now, scabs, and bandaids now, MX pants/body armor in winter, ice on trails, and frozen ground make for hard falls, the MX gear is good for warmth too.
    I've sure saved recovery time with armor, mostly just fewer strawberries/cuts/brusies.
    Four wheels transport the body,

Two wheels transport the soul !!!!

High Desert MTBer
    I always wear knee and elbow guards when the trail goes even a little chunky and out-of-horizontal. One of my elbows is very funky with a bone chip from my last non-armored spill, so I just don't need more pain. I have also had my fill of knee scrapes and gouges, so now will always put some on. I don't get the 'hey look at all my scars' mentality of some people. I already have most of one knee a scar from some idiot pulling out in front of me in his car 35 years ago, and I don't want more scar tissue on scar tissue...
    As far as the heat and comfort goes, I ride often in 90 to 100 degrees, and just take plenty of water.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. Definitely some decent choices there. I never really considered armor, but it really does seem like a good idea considering some of the obstacles you encounter in the woods. I'm also getting my girlfriend into riding and it seems like a really good idea for a new rider to help them gain confidence...

mtbr member
    I always wear my knee pads. Iv'e banged my knees really hard numerous times since Iv'e been wearing them and I'm sure Iv'e saved them from some pretty nasty injuries. TRD T-Bones are amazing!

mtbr member
    Any experience with the Lizard Skins armor vs. 661 vs. Fox, vs. Troy Lee, etc???
    Currently shopping for the girlfriend and trying to find something that will fit well and not impede with pedaling and that breathes pretty well. She's brave, so she likes to try all the things I do, but when she does, she ends up banged up... Here's what happens to her:
    Armor?-001.jpg
    Armor?-002.jpg

DH.FR.0ne
    Ouch, nasty.
    Check out the 661 subgear. Its designed to be light and breathable. My mate really rates it over his heavier 661 armour.
    Personally I use BrandX pressure suit and knee/shin guards for downhill. Its fairly comfy and Im sure its saved me from many hospital trips. I have to wear football socks under the shin guards though because the strap pinches at the back of my knee... they're waterproof though so still serve a purpose hate havin wet feet

mtbr member
    Knee pads, always. I've whacked my damn knees enough times in my life. Too many rocks waiting for them.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I like the Lizard Skins. The only brand that fits my legs, I can pedal in.
    Their forearm/elbow pads don't fit as well as the race Face did on me.

The 661 pads I have are the heavier ones, 4x4 I think. Too tight on my legs even with modifications.

I wear the arms and legs a great amount of the time. I have to be injury free for work, so it is cheap insurance.
    If it is too hot or I am out for a slow, easy ride, I go without.