Anyone using a top tube bag?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone using a top tube bag?

If so...which one, how do you like it and any issues? What are you hauling around in it?

I'm getting a new bike and I want to shrink my saddle bag or even eliminate it completely in lieu of a strap system to haul a couple tubes, CO2, and multi-tool. But I want a place to throw my keys, cellphone, maybe a couple gels, ect. and I hate having much in my jersey pockets. So I was thinking about maybe moving some stuff from under the seat to the top tube...things I might want access to while riding.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    That Topeak pod thing is pretty cool but I need both cages for water...lol...I'm a heavy drinker and I plan to do this on my new cross bike so I'm looking at longer rides 30-50 miles or more in length where one bottle won't cut it. For shorter rides it could be an option though.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

mtbr member
    I use this every so often great for phone and some gu's and keys if you feel lucky, punk. I don't really trust it for keys unless it's just around the hood and not bouncy. This and bottles and saddle bag = no camelbak if I'm in that kinda mood.
    Name:  bento.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  39.3 KB
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    This might be worth $17 depending on how it straps.

Axiom-Bicycle-Smart-Phone-iPhone-Holder on ebay

Name:  s-l300.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  23.5 KB

Thatís no moon.
    I'm thinking of getting one or more of these: Bikepacking Top Tube Bags - OVEJA NEGRA bikepacking

banned
    Here ya go.

Anyone using a top tube bag?-img_7142.jpg

mtbr member
    I just got a Oveja Negra top tube bag and I like it. I keep snacks and my multi tool there and anything other small items I want handy. I had also ordered the Revelate gas tank to compare, and it is also excellent (now on my wife's new bike). I also have an ALPKIT 3 liter seat bag and am waiting on a downtube bag from Rogue Panda. My goal is to ride without a back pack, and I should be good until I need to carry bulky clothing for the cold.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Here ya go...

Top Tube Bag Roundup - BIKEPACKING.com

For what it's worth I have the Revelate Gas Tank bag and love it.

Thatís no moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I just got a Oveja Negra top tube bag and I like it. I keep snacks and my multi tool there and anything other small items I want handy.
    Do you have the small or large? Is there room for a tire tube plus tools?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    That Topeak pod thing is pretty cool but I need both cages for water.
    I use one of these- https://backbottle.com/

I am doing a 100K gravel grind this weekend and I plan to carry two bottles on the bike and a Backbottle in my jersey pocket. if it looks like it's going to be hot, I will put a bladder in my frame bag instead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    Do you have the small or large? Is there room for a tire tube plus tools?
    Large. It's 8" long, 2.5" wide , 4" tall at the front. Should be big enough for a tube and other items as well, depending. The Revelate Gas Tank is slightly larger. Both are very high quality.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradym77 View Post
    Here ya go...

Top Tube Bag Roundup - BIKEPACKING.com

For what it's worth I have the Revelate Gas Tank bag and love it.
    Good link.

Similar roundup from another bikepacking site:

4 New Top Tube Bags - Bikepackers Magazine

Top Tube Bag Throwdown Part 1 - Bikepackers Magazine

Top Tube Bag Throwdown - Part 2 - Bikepackers Magazine

Top Tube Throwdown - Cliff Bar Challenge - Bikepackers Magazine
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I use one of these- https://backbottle.com/

I am doing a 100K gravel grind this weekend and I plan to carry two bottles on the bike and a Backbottle in my jersey pocket. if it looks like it's going to be hot, I will put a bladder in my frame bag instead.
    Looks cool but not sure I could stand having that in my jersey pocket. Maybe if I used it first so it was empty first.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I use mine for keys, money, headlamp, lip stuff, etc. I think they are handy.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the links. Lots of stuff to shift through. Sucks that none of those are on Amazon since I have a gift card to use. Not that there's plenty of other things I can use it on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Looks cool but not sure I could stand having that in my jersey pocket. Maybe if I used it first so it was empty first.
    it feels weird for about 30 seconds, then you forget it's there until you needs a sip. a lot of people ride with conventional round bottles in their jersey pockets- I have tried that and the Backbottle is much, much more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Oh and have a Grateful day, nubs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    it feels weird for about 30 seconds, then you forget it's there until you needs a sip. a lot of people ride with conventional round bottles in their jersey pockets- I have tried that and the Backbottle is much, much more comfortable.
    I guess for the price it might be worth a try. If it doesn't work out I suppose it would be a good bottle for hiking and slipping into a side pocket on my pack without too much hassle.

DFMBA.org

Anyone using a top tube bag?

I use one from Nashbar, thatís since been discontinued but itís a basic bag with the top window for a cell phone. Iíve used saddle bags and saddle straps in the past. Since I now have a bike with a dropper, I really didnít want a nylon strap rubbing on the stanchion of my seat post, so that eliminated another seat bag. I liked my saddle straps in the past somewhat, but the tension had to be pretty tight to keep your loot from falling out. The high tension put a lot of stress on a spare tube, coupled with exposure to the elements caused them to crack often.

I donít really like the look of a top tube bag, but damn are they functional. I can get a 29Ētube, a multi-tool, 3 C02s, 2 tire levers, my phone, and a small inflator in there. And itís weather-resistant. The only think I carry in a jersey pocket are snacks any more. If I was to crash, I think the contents including the phone would be protected well. FWIW, the bike is a Salsa Timberjack.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

Big Mac
    Iíve been using this for over a year: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...ockpit/GasTank
    I love it. Contents varies, but I keep food, Houdini, weed, saw, a few tools, whatever. Canít imagine not having it. They make smaller ones too. Pretty bombproof, and thus far have kept my shit dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I like the Additive V2 frame bag because it can hold lots of batteries!
    https://www.additive-bikes.com/de/ADDITIVE-BAG-V2.html

zra
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've got a few rides on this one. It was inexpensive and seems to work well. good internal capacity. Holds my iPhone 6s with a case on. I think there's room for a bigger phone. Fits a tube and some tools. easily. Seems to stay in place on the trail. Build quality seems fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1