Anyone riding with hip replacements?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Anyone riding with hip replacements?

Hello all,

I am recently getting back on the bike, for fun and health reasons. I have 2 fake hips and got out of riding because i could not find a saddle that did not kill my backside. Anyone here have a suggestion? I love bikes and really want to get a fat bike for fun. All suggestions will be appreciated. There is just no info on the web.

Thanks in advance

pete

Rippin da fAt
    A friend of mine has phony joints and uses a fairly narrow saddle to keep the pressure off of the works. He is a medium build, 190-210 # range.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Try the 50+ forum, think you may have a better shot at experiences.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by crashfromboston View Post
    Hello all,

I am recently getting back on the bike, for fun and health reasons. I have 2 fake hips and got out of riding because i could not find a saddle that did not kill my backside. Anyone here have a suggestion? I love bikes and really want to get a fat bike for fun. All suggestions will be appreciated. There is just no info on the web.

Thanks in advance

pete
    How old are you, Pete? And why did you need replacements?
    “The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”

George Orwell

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have hip displasia eventually I will probably be looking at replacements. Walking causes me more pain then my bike. Fit is huge, make sure your weight is on your sit bones and not other places. Then height and width need to be adjusted so your not rocking while peddling. Finding a chamois that is right for you helps as well. They definitely are not one kind fits all, some of the most popular ones I hate. Dropper posts are great you can change the hight as your activity changes.

well mannered lout
    I have aftermarket hips. Still use the same WTB saddles I always liked. Standing climbing is the part I have trouble with.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

No known cure
    Age has nothing to do with total joint replacements. Many of the totals we do are sports related. Football mostly but also from mogul skiing, jumping out of airplanes and motocross. An unhealthy lifestyle also leads to joint deteriation. The youngest person I saw het a THR was in her early thirties. It was amazing to see what drinking a two liter bottle of soda a day does to the cortical bone.

OP. Specialized has a saddle custom saddle program where you go into the dealer to be fit.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Try the 50+ forum, think you may have a better shot at experiences.
    I happen to know a couple people that had total joint replacements in their 30's. I personally have needed two knees since my 30's and will not do the deed without a 10/100k plan. Age is not requisite when it comes to screwing up our bodies as we throw ourselves against a concrete wall time after time and call it mountain biking.
    Doctor recommended...

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    I happen to know a couple people that had total joint replacements in their 30's. I personally have needed two knees since my 30's and will not do the deed without a 10/100k plan. Age is not requisite when it comes to screwing up our bodies as we throw ourselves against a concrete wall time after time and call it mountain biking.
    Getting them both done at the same time is called a bilateral replacement. If that sounds tough, get them six months apart.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had both replace. still riding same saddles as before. I can't quite lift my leg over the saddle with it all the way up, the dropper comes in handy. I also have issues with standing, can't do it for very long.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Getting them both done at the same time is called a bilateral replacement. If that sounds tough, get them six months apart.
    If I do go for it, down once and only once. R&R two CV joints, good to go.
    Doctor recommended...