Anyone ride with elbow/arm protection?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone ride with elbow/arm protection?

So I took a nice spill the other day on a stream crossing. Flipped over the bars and landed on rocks. Messed up my arm and shoulder pretty good - no broken bones thankfully! So naturally in the back of my mind is arm protection. Anyone use it? Is it cumbersome and hot?

mtbr member
    After bashing my bony elbows 2 or 3 times in a row on falls I picked up some POC elbow pads and after 2 rides I can say that they're definitely a confidence booster but after about an hour or so they start to feel like a tourniquet. That might be a deal breaker for me, I'll give them a few more shots though.

I'm also looking at hip protection (least cumbersome possible) if anyone has anything to say about that.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm thinking about purchasing a set of arm guards for the real techy rocky stuff. I can't afford to get hurt with my career.

mtbr member
    I usually just wear the Gform elbow pads. Lightweight and breathe well and have saved my elbows from dirt rash and rock bash a few times.
    Ride: 2016 Yeti SB5.5c
    Retired: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Anyone ride with elbow/arm protection?-img-20140430-00709.jpg

I just started wearing G-Form elbow and knee pads..I went down a good many times before I got them..bleeding in one place and another...I have enough scars on me! LOL
    I don't like a whole lota bulk on me and I didn't need real MTB hard pads. Just someting between me and the Earth!
    Started with Elbows as a test..got the knees too and I like very much.
    Light and compact they fit in the front pocket of my Raptor^^^ ALL 4 pads.
    I leave them off for the 30min. 4mph climb...get to the top..slip them on and RIDE!!

Oddly my crashing has gone down and my Speed and AIR TIME has gone UP!
    Confedence builder I would assume....I am jumping farther and higher...
    Weeeeeeeee
    OK too much Coffee on a Monday for Burt...
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member

Haha Burt. Good info. Thanks. I'm going to take a look around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedChase View Post
    I usually just wear the Gform elbow pads. Lightweight and breathe well and have saved my elbows from dirt rash and rock bash a few times.
    same here.

mtbr member
    I wear my 661 Kyle Strait kneepads about half the time I ride. I have arm pads, but I don't wear them as often -- really only on full-on DH or lift days.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

650b me
    I see a lot more photos of guys wearing knee pads than elbow pads. Why is that? When I crash, it's almost always my elbows that take the brunt of it. I've never worn pads but am considering elbow pads like the OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I see a lot more photos of guys wearing knee pads than elbow pads. Why is that? When I crash, it's almost always my elbows that take the brunt of it. I've never worn pads but am considering elbow pads like the OP.
    I'm in the same boat..my elbows allways bleed...not so true with my knees about 1/2 the blood letting.
    I started with Elbow to see if I could hang with pads on...the G-Form is light and super easy to pack with you. Some had issues with the spandex part ripping so I just take care when pulling them off and on....
    SO far they don't bother me at all when I am riding and keeping skin on my body is a bonus!! :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I ride with my Troy Lee kneepads all the time, and carry POC elbow pads -- slip em on before aggressive descents.

mtbr member

I feel like if I were to get anything, i would get arm gear. My legs don't really take any damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    knees and elbows always, back and shoulders when shuttling or lift access.

They've all saved me more than once

mtbr member
    G-Form for knees and elbows if I am riding rockier trails most of the time.
    It would be great if they could breathe some. The cuff of the elbow pads go up my arm farther than I would like. Aside from that no complaints so far. Had them about 3 years.
    I think they are a warmer than my Lizard Skins hard shell pads. If the Lizard Skins stayed up on my elbows a little better, and they were less bulky overall I would wear them instead.

mtbr member

Re: Anyone ride with elbow/arm protection?

Quote Originally Posted by SycoCell121 View Post
    I feel like if I were to get anything, i would get arm gear. My legs don't really take any damage.

Really? I almost never hit my elbows. Whenever I fall it's hands and knees that hit the ground usually. I have elbow pads but do not wear them a lot, only DH riding really

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I can chime in on hip protection, which I just started to incorporate. Had a hard time finding a good baggy short with an integrated riding short underneath, so I just use my favorite spandex/chamois junk-huggers with some Troy Lee shorts (can't remember which model) on the outside. The Troy Lee's have hip pads, very similar to motocross pants- in fact the Troy Lee shorts are like motox pants, cut into shorts. I like them very much and they are my go-to short.

Ride on.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    On most trails (since they're pretty much all rocky) G-Form for elbow, just picked up some POC for knees after the G-Form knee pads kept slipping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I don't know why others do it, but for me, I've had a couple injuries to my knees that would have been prevented by wearing pads (these both came on "regular" trails, not downhill or anything like that), and like the extra protection there. I have never had more than just some road (dirt?) rash on my elbows and arms.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I wear bloody cuts and gashes on both my arms and my legs and also occasionally on my face and torso instead of pads.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenrats View Post
    I wear bloody cuts and gashes on both my arms and my legs and also occasionally on my face and torso instead of pads.
    This is my current level of protection.

mtbr member
    I wear Troy Lee elbow/forearm pads and Fox Launch knee pads whenever I'm riding anything chunky. I find I ride much more confidently and with greater speed when I have them and, like other posters, whenever I would crash before, I always skinned up my elbows and knees, so I got tired of it.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member

One good alternative is the BMX jersey those came with some elbow protector and they are really light and you don't feel the pads at all. My2cents

High Desert MTBer
    +1 on G Form. I swear by 'em. I wear my knee pads on my shins when I am climbing, and my elbow pads in my pack. I ride flats and the shins suffer in the chunky stuff when climbing. When I turn downhill, I slide up the knee pads over ze knees, and slip on the elbow pads. Easy. Pretty much all my riding is steep and rocky chunk, and I have often tumbled, but since the G Forms, my blood loss and bruise quota has plummeted too. I once landed on an elbow from about 8 feet onto sharp rock, and took no injury...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Anyone ride with elbow/arm protection?-img_1173.jpg

I can confirm, G-Form works = no blood or skin lost were they ride on my body...Hydro pack to the biggest hit on this one..they are armor too :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer

650b me
    Looks like the front wheel took the biggest hit, actually. ;-)

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1173.jpg 
Views:	1796 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	894275

I can confirm, G-Form works = no blood or skin lost were they ride on my body...Hydro pack to the biggest hit on this one..they are armor too :-)
    Judging by the tire mark across the trail, that was a big truck you hit!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to order some G-Form arm gear. I am just a little hesitant as I feel the "soft" material won't actually protect me from very much. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I gotta say my G-form are comfortable and don't move while you're riding...BUT, if you hit the ground hard, they're not going to protect you and they'll rip and slip. I stacked up pretty good this week, landing on my left arm. I like to think they took the brunt of the impact but I was still left with some pretty wicked scrapes near the elbow and on the forearm (they essentially slipped as I dragged on the ground). My sprained AC joint would probably have still happened regardless of what I was wearing.
    Intense 951 Evo and Santa Cruz Megatower