• 09-07-2004
    BanzaiRider
    Singletrackworld issue 14, bike light review? Topeak HID...
    Anyone has issue 14 of the magazine Singletrackworld? According to a search I made, there is supposed to be a bike light review in that issue with comments on the Topeak Moonshine HID light. If you have it, I would really appreciate to know what they were saying about this light. I am interested at buying it but don't find much feedback on it.

If by any chance someone owns that light, I would also appreciate your feedback.

Thanks a lot.
  • 09-08-2004
    BanzaiRider
    Anyone owns the Topeak Moonshine HID light?
    I'm interested by this light but it's not listed in the MTBR review section so I'd love to get some feedback even if it's only to say: I'm satisfied with mine! Thanks.
  • 09-08-2004
    Low_Rider
    I've read a review of it somewhere, although I'm not sure where. Might be in a magazine I have laying around here somewhere. I'll try and dig it up for you. Sounded pretty good from what I remember, although slightly expensive compared to a few other systems. Pretty small and compact system though. I'll post again if I can find it.

Cheers, Dave.
  • 09-08-2004
    BanzaiRider
    Thanks Dave, it could be Singletrack magazine...
    Supposedly issue 14 of Singletrackworld magazine has reviewed it with others. Unfortunately this is 2-3 issues old so it's not in stores anymore. I have a not so bad deal on it so that is why I'm kind of interested... Thanks again for checking it out, very nice of you.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    I've read a review of it somewhere, although I'm not sure where. Might be in a magazine I have laying around here somewhere. I'll try and dig it up for you. Sounded pretty good from what I remember, although slightly expensive compared to a few other systems. Pretty small and compact system though. I'll post again if I can find it.

Cheers, Dave.

• 11-18-2004
    bigdrunk
    Bump!

You can score one of these at performance for about $260 with a 20% coupon. Pretty smokin deal for a HID with Lion battery. The entire package is pretty freakin lite. An

Anybody tried one of these yet?
  • 11-18-2004
    garboui
    i had a chance to get a good look at one when the rep brought one in for us to see. its a fairly well thought out system and the light housing is made of nice sturdy metal and the mounting is better than most so it should survive multiple midnight endos. the only thing that i dont like about it is the little on off dongle allthough it comes with a mount so it can be mounted right on top of youre steering coloum for easy access w/o burning youreself on the light housing when it gets hot.
  • 11-18-2004
    roadiegonebad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by garboui
    i had a chance to get a good look at one when the rep brought one in for us to see. its a fairly well thought out system and the light housing is made of nice sturdy metal and the mounting is better than most so it should survive multiple midnight endos. the only thing that i dont like about it is the little on off dongle allthough it comes with a mount so it can be mounted right on top of youre steering coloum for easy access w/o burning youreself on the light housing when it gets hot.

Seems like a good deal, but according the info on their website, run times seem low in comparison to other HIDs, only 2-2.3 hrs. And what do you do with that 'dongle' when when you mount it on your head?
  • 11-18-2004
    garboui
    im pretty sure it came with a velcro patch so you could put it wherever convienent
  • 11-19-2004
    BanzaiRider
    I started this thread but finally I built my own light...
    At the time I started this thread, the Topeak offering was the one that interested me the most and the Jet was my second choice. I finally built my own light but I followed 2 concepts that Topeak has in their offering, Li-Ion batteries and overvolting the bulb. Jet overvolts their bulbs as well.

Anyway, for what it's worth, if I had to buy a light today, it would certainly still be either the Topeak or the Jet. However, I thik I would go with the Topeak halogen not the HID. I've found out a few things about HID that I don't like and/or don't need for my type of night riding. I only ride for an hour or two so no need for the 3-4-5... hour capacity that most HID kits offer. I often play with on/off on my light and HIDs don't like that. HID bulbs cost a fortune and are most of the time non-user serviceable. Finally, by overvolting a 12v halogen, I get a very white and powerful beam probably very close to what HIDs provide. Check the MTBR review, you'll see that the Jet light (a 20w overvolted at 13.2v) is very close to HID lights. The Topeak halogen is overvolted at 14.4v, it's even better and that is what I have done with my "homemade" light.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdrunk
    Bump!

You can score one of these at performance for about $260 with a 20% coupon. Pretty smokin deal for a HID with Lion battery. The entire package is pretty freakin lite. An

Anybody tried one of these yet?

• 11-19-2004
    thebronze
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I finally built my own light but I followed 2 concepts that Topeak has in their offering, Li-Ion batteries and overvolting the bulb. Jet overvolts their bulbs as well.

What kind of li ion battery and charger did you go with?
    I've seen a few combos on ebay but the li ions are pretty dangerous if not charged right so I passed on them.
  • 11-19-2004
    sportsman
    or give ;)

we need details..we need pictures..we need step-by-step instructions with schematics and flow sheets and mathematical derivations ....

scott
  • 11-20-2004
    BanzaiRider
    Here's some info...
    I got those batteries:

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=989

With this charger:

http://www.waypoint-rc.com/prod03.htm

I have 3 lights and several battery packs. 2 handlebar lights are 35w MR16 bulb, one for my bike the other my girlfriend. I also have a 20w MR11 as a helmet light. Housings are made out of plumbing PVC stuff. The big one weigh about 180g with wires the helmet one is around 130g.

I have 2 battery packs that are Li-Ion 4 cells 2000maH 14.8v. I also have 3 pack that are Li-Poly, those are 11.1v 2400maH. For my handlebar light, I velcro together a 14.8v pack with a 11.1v pack and I have a switch to toggle between the two. It's like a high/low beam. My helmet I run only with a 11.1v pack, it's plenty anyway I light it up only in the singletrack.

I only ride an hour or two at a time but if you plan on riding longuer, my setup is not great because with the 35w light the packs only last about 45min. With the 20w I usually get more like 1h15min.

Hope this helps. I've had fun building it. I probably spent a little more than $200 total but I have several battery packs, 3 lights and a charger that can safely charge any type of Li-Ion/Li-Poly packs.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebronze
    What kind of li ion battery and charger did you go with?
    I've seen a few combos on ebay but the li ions are pretty dangerous if not charged right so I passed on them.

• 11-22-2004
    thebronze
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BanzaiRider

Hey Banzai, when you made the batteries, did you wire in the little chip that keeps them from overcharging or does the smart charger do that for you?
    I want to go li-ion for batteries but they seem dangerous.
    I dont want a melt down at the casa de la bronze.
  • 11-22-2004
    BanzaiRider
    No little chip...
    I rely on the smart charger instead. I prefered paying way more to get a reliable, secure and specially flexible charger. I could have bought a cheap and specific charger for $10-20 like what comes with bike light packages. Those are specific to a battery pack, with mine I can charge a variety of packs from 1 to 4 cells, either Li-Ion or Li-Poly. The charger detects it if you don't have the right amount of cells and will not start charging. The only "problem" with my setup is that if you completely empty your batteries, that's it, nothing will happen but you can throw them in the garbage because you can't charge them anymore. What I do is when I see that my light is dramatically fading, then I change battery pack. This way I never completely empty them and it's fine.

Hope this helps. I think Li-Ion is the way to go and most probably in a year or two all bike lights will be built with them. This year there is already much more on the market.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebronze
    Hey Banzai, when you made the batteries, did you wire in the little chip that keeps them from overcharging or does the smart charger do that for you?
    I want to go li-ion for batteries but they seem dangerous.
    I dont want a melt down at the casa de la bronze.

• 11-26-2004
    sstaurus
    I bought a used Moonshine Pro (Halogen). Just can't afford the brand new 300US price. I'm not impressed with it so far, as soon as I bought it, it worked, but next time I turned it on the little processor-chip shorted out. I waited 3 weeks for it to be shipped here, and since I live in Canada, it now has to be shipped to Montreal to the sole distributor of Topeak lightsystems for Canada. God knows when I'll get it back now...

The guy at the LBS said he had a light with a little chip and the same thing happened to him when he first bought it. Supposedly they're pretty finicky...I hope this isn't a reoccuring thing!

From what I saw the light output seemed good though, if somewhat short burn times at the high setting.
  • 05-09-2012
    smsscott
    dc to dc converter
    anybody know of a good dc to dc converter to use with the moonshine hid light on a mountain e-bike with 48 volts...?