Anyone Kom'd strava ebike segments while on a standard mtb?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anyone Kom'd strava ebike segments while on a standard mtb?

I'm just wondering if there's any dudes chasing e-bike segments on standard bikes on strava just for shits and giggles

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I'm just wondering if there's any dudes chasing e-bike segments on standard bikes on strava just for shits and giggles
    I think you'd be surprised to find that many of them might be slower than their regular bike counterparts. Outside of climbs that is. I remember taking my e-bike to a local trail network and bagging 4 koms without even really pushing hard. The bike was in eco mode the whole time. Meanwhile I don't have any KOMs there on my regular bike, despite actually trying.
    . . . . . . . .

Pro Crastinator
    not possible, regular bikes are way too slow...

Formerly of Kent
    If, and this is a big if, the person on the eBike is in reasonable shape and pushing, you simply can't match an ebike going uphill.

To put it into perspective, I'm relatively quick going uphill. Have a couple of top 10s on normal Strava segments with 10,000 unique riders. Held a "pro" license when I was racing regularly a few years back. In the same kind of shape now, but just lost interest in racing.

I was out doing laps at my local two nights ago, and a guy wearing jeans passed me on a Trek eBike. He was a trim looking fellow, and I'm guessing he's fast uphil regardless of what kind of bike he was on. I was towards the end of the climb, and struggling pretty hard, put still producing good power, and he passed me so quickly I couldn't even say hello. I was curious as to what it would take to stay with him, and had only a wee bit further to go, so I got out of the saddle for the last stretch and did 500-550w for the last 15 or so seconds. Still couldn't maintain his pace. Not even close.

Now, that's at 6,500ft. At sea level, I'd produce more power, but so would he, if so inclined, and so would his eBike. Probably double my additional output, or more. Which would result in an even greater rate of ascent.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I was out doing laps at my local two nights ago, and a guy wearing jeans passed me on a Trek eBike. He was a trim looking fellow, and I'm guessing he's fast uphil regardless of what kind of bike he was on. I was towards the end of the climb, and struggling pretty hard, put still producing good power, and he passed me so quickly I couldn't even say hello. I was curious as to what it would take to stay with him, and had only a wee bit further to go, so I got out of the saddle for the last stretch and did 500-550w for the last 15 or so seconds. Still couldn't maintain his pace. Not even close.

Does strava give estimated watts for ebike rides? That would be interesting. Their estimated power for climbing segments on regular bikes seems fairly accurate IME, not so much on downhill ones though.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you know the route, then go to www.ebikes.ca and input the data into the Trip Simulator. However there is no store bought ebike parameters in anything on that site bro, but you can get the watts, slope, wh, ah, distance, whatever else you want for the route inputted into Google Maps.

www.ebikes.ca
    TOOLS
    TRIP SIMULATOR (Updated)
    INPUT ---> Top of the first graph, a little pull down menu.
    GOOGLE MAPS
    Follow instructions to input the route.
    As for the other parameters LOLOLOL
    **Again, there will be no store bought ebike parameters, only custom motors/cont/batt**

mtbr member
    I think the strava estimates would be good enough for me.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Does strava give estimated watts for ebike rides? That would be interesting. Their estimated power for climbing segments on regular bikes seems fairly accurate IME, not so much on downhill ones though.
    I've never looked.

When I last checked, I think the Strava wattage algorithm had a road-centric skew to it. Meaning, the wattage Strava kicked out was a good chunk lower than what my SRM told me I did. I *believe* this is because their algorithm is based on road bikes, with road tires, on road grades and paved surfaces.

Here's a good example. I've done this climb dozens of times. It's a great effort and good judge of my fitness. Lots of grade changes and some technical bits. My all-time best wattage up it is 348w average, for 6:22, normalized a bit higher. For a time 13 seconds slower than that, Strava estimated that I did 279w. There are times within a second on either side of that "279w" effort with wattage in the 330s.

https://www.strava.com/segments/652169
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I've never looked.

When I last checked, I think the Strava wattage algorithm had a road-centric skew to it. Meaning, my the wattage Strava kicked out was a good chunk lower than what my SRM told me I did. I *believe* this is because their algorithm is based on road bikes, with road tires, on road grades and paved surfaces.

Their algorithm is a lot different for mtb's than road, I often forget to switch bikes (on strava) before a ride downloads and it's immediately apparent when looking at the data. Lots of factors involved I realize but for me the difference between the virtual & real numbers are pretty similar.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dirty Old Man
    If, and this is a big if, the person on the eBike is in reasonable shape and pushing, you simply can't match an ebike going uphill.

To put it into perspective, I'm relatively quick going uphill. Have a couple of top 10s on normal Strava segments with 10,000 unique riders. Held a "pro" license when I was racing regularly a few years back. In the same kind of shape now, but just lost interest in racing.

Now, that's at 6,500ft. At sea level, I'd produce more power, but so would he, if so inclined, and so would his eBike. Probably double my additional output, or more. Which would result in an even greater rate of ascent.
    To give some perspective, there is a climb by my house that I use as a warmup. It usually takes about 20 minutes at around 300watts average. The KOM is 14 minutes. On My Levo in trail mode (150watts) it takes me 11 minutes. That extra power is enough to make clearing the technical sections of the climb much easier, meaning I'm not constantly pushing beyond threshold and trying to recover, allowing me to settle in at threshold for the entirety of the climb. It's not really a huge amount more power than the guy who holds the KOM, but even 100 extra watts makes a sizeable difference.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    To give some perspective, there is a climb by my house that I use as a warmup. It usually takes about 20 minutes at around 300watts average.

Jebus! A 300w 20 minute warmup? Are you like 9 w/kg?
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dirty Old Man
    Jebus! A 300w 20 minute warmup? Are you like 9 w/kg?
    No. I call it a warmup because it's where the ride starts. But really it is a switchback climb with turns that send you into steep rock gardens requiring a serious effort to get through cleanly. I usually spin along around 180-200w but there are areas where 400+w are required to get through cleanly. The "average" takes into account intervals well, well above threshold. I've tried "time attacking" the climb twice. Once I had an asthma attack, and the other I just straight bonked about 2/3 of the way up.

For perspective, I average about 221w up the Alp du Zwift, I feel about the same at the top of this 20min climb.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    You dudes are focusing on the up. What about the down?

mtbr member
    No to the OPs question but I do have a ton of walking KOMs by using my eBike. Dont f with the king!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Pretty sure there won't be any difference on pure downhill. MThe more pedally of a downhill it is I imagine an e-bike get harder to beat.

There's a downhill here which has a wide mix of fast, rough, and technical downhill but it has some sections that flatten out and slow corners which take a lot of power to get back up to speed. I'm faster than the top 5 guys in the fast, rough and technical parts but they crush me where fitness takes over (Cat 1 XC racers). If I had an e-bike there's little doubt in my mind I'd set a faster time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Why would you compare human to motor? You don't go running around Dirtbike track just to see if you can run faster than dirtbikes. Of course motorbikes will be faster.
    You don't try to see who can lift more weight, human or fork-lift. Of course machine will lift more.
    E-bike is just another version of motorbike. Same apply as above.

With all this Strava and simmilar bullshit it sometimes makes me wonder why so many amateur riders have this obscene need to compare to each other. I get it for pro riders, they make a living out of it. But amateurs - i just don't get it, all you can hear between riders is then how many Watts/kg and simmilar bullshit do they do. They forget the essence of MTB - to be in nature, riding and enyojing. Without Strava, KOMs, watts, seconds.... try it sometimes, you'll be surprised

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    Why would you compare human to motor? You don't go running around Dirtbike track just to see if you can run faster than dirtbikes. Of course motorbikes will be faster.
    You don't try to see who can lift more weight, human or fork-lift. Of course machine will lift more.
    E-bike is just another version of motorbike. Same apply as above.

With all this Strava and simmilar bullshit it sometimes makes me wonder why so many amateur riders have this obscene need to compare to each other. I get it for pro riders, they make a living out of it. But amateurs - i just don't get it, all you can hear between riders is then how many Watts/kg and simmilar bullshit do they do. They forget the essence of MTB - to be in nature, riding and enyojing. Without Strava, KOMs, watts, seconds.... try it sometimes, you'll be surprised

Bicycles can compete, and beat ebikes on downhill segments for sure. Anyway op said it was all in fun so no biggie either way.

And strava is only bs if it bothers you and yet you still insist on using it, for most of us though its just for $hits & giggles.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Yes, e-bikes frequently appear on local bike leader boards.

Yes, sometimes I try to beat them rather than flag them.

No, I don't want to try to rationalize, or discuss the results of these efforts.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

mtbr member
    Their algorithm is a lot different for mtb's than road, I often forget to switch bikes (on strava) before a ride downloads and it's immediately apparent when looking at the data. Lots of factors involved I realize but for me the difference between the virtual & real numbers are pretty similar.
    How does Strava know if it is a road bike or a mountain bike? I have all my bikes loaded in there and I've seen no option about what type. Is it where you ride? Assumes road if on know roads on the base layer map? And off road if not on known roads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    How does Strava know if it is a road bike or a mountain bike? I have all my bikes loaded in there and I've seen no option about what type. Is it where you ride? Assumes road if on know roads on the base layer map? And off road if not on known roads?

Can't remember where but I know there's an option. It doesn't know or care if you're on a road or trail but it does adjust the estimated power based on what type of bike it thinks you're riding.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Dirty Old Man
    Ha, ha. My regular bike is much faster going down than my e-bike, but it feels slower. The crappy tires, quicker handling frame, weaker brakes, and shorter travel of the e-bike make it feel like you're really hauling the mail, foot out sideways everywhere.
    . . . . . . . .

EAT MORE GRIME
    will make you all KOM for TP

send me files and shit tickets, be local e-fast e-guy in e-hurry
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbfree View Post
    Why would you compare human to motor?
    just for shits and giggles
    We get the occasional e-mtb on our weekly large group rides. they can easily smoke everyone on the flats and climbs, but when things get twisty and rocky, the e-riders say the weight of the motor is a liability.

mtbr member
    Can't remember where but I know there's an option. It doesn't know or care if you're on a road or trail but it does adjust the estimated power based on what type of bike it thinks you're riding.
    There currently is no such option. There are multiple support requests to Strava for differentiating between the two, but nothing in effect currently. There IS an option for an eBike ride. That is all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Yes, e-bikes frequently appear on local bike leader boards.

Yes, sometimes I try to beat them rather than flag them.

No, I don't want to try to rationalize, or discuss the results of these efforts.
    Are they labeled on Strava? I've never paid much attention.

mtbr member
    Also, refer to:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...lculates-Power

If you follow the link there to 'Adding Gear....', it states it uses the weight of your bicycle to calculate watts.

mtbr member
    Ok, so there now IS this option via the website. They must have added it recently. If you edit your bike, there's a drop down menu for choosing type.

mtbr member
    There currently is no such option.

I know for sure it's on mine because if I edit a ride from my mtb to road bike my watts go down about 30%. Anyway, I'm guessing it's buried somewhere in there, can't imagine that option used to be there and they got rid of it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    They must have added it recently.

I set it up on my strava account years ago.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    I set it up on my strava account years ago.
    Yeah, I must have had a brain fart, because I have a bike setup as a road bike I built up 3+ years ago. My bad. Carry on.

XC iconoclast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    Pretty sure there won't be any difference on pure downhill. MThe more pedally of a downhill it is I imagine an e-bike get harder to beat.

There's a downhill here which has a wide mix of fast, rough, and technical downhill but it has some sections that flatten out and slow corners which take a lot of power to get back up to speed. I'm faster than the top 5 guys in the fast, rough and technical parts but they crush me where fitness takes over (Cat 1 XC racers). If I had an e-bike there's little doubt in my mind I'd set a faster time.

Ever tried going downhill on a 50+ lb bike? Understeer, under-braked, tires that normally grip fine start losing grip at that weight and speed. It's not the same.
    "At his best, man is the noblest of all the animals. Separated from law and justice, he is the worst." --- Aristotle

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Ever tried going downhill on a 50+ lb bike? Understeer, under-braked, tires that normally grip fine start losing grip at that weight and speed. It's not the same.
    you must be new to mountainbiking...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    you must be new to mountainbiking...
    Ya think? LOL!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    At a local enduro race there was a Pro class, and the top 3 finishers also raced a Pro E-bike class on their E- bikes.
    All were slower on the E- bikes. As I recall they were all about 6 seconds slower on like 120 second runs (TX Enduro so runs are short).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    Just chimed in to say my Strava power is wildly inaccurate. It may be the user and the interface, and I've completely messed something up, but it's not even close. 2 hour sweet spot rides are not 150 watts in the mountains through high wind and storms. #justsayin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Just chimed in to say my Strava power is wildly inaccurate. It may be the user and the interface, and I've completely messed something up, but it's not even close. 2 hour sweet spot rides are not 150 watts in the mountains through high wind and storms. #justsayin

It might not be as far off as you think, do you have a power meter? If so check normalized power, it probably would be a lot higher than your average power due to the spikes involved with mountain biking.

Also, if you don't have a power meter check climbing segments against other rider with similar builds who do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Yes, yes I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone Kom'd strava ebike segments while on a standard mtb?-dsc00009.jpg  

mtbr member
    I have thought about changing my regular ride to e bike to grab the kom on our popular downhill segment. I would take it by a good margin for ebikes but am like 40th on regular bikes.

There would be no pride in having a ebike kom though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rod
    mtbr member
    It might not be as far off as you think, do you have a power meter? If so check normalized power, it probably would be a lot higher than your average power due to the spikes involved with mountain biking.

Also, if you don't have a power meter check climbing segments against other rider with similar builds who do.
    A single segment is much more accurate, but an entire ride is a different story. Looking back, I believe that's what you were referring to.

Edit: Just went on a ride with my wife. Avg. Heart rate 118. Same average power output as my 2 hour sweet spot at 166 beats. #stravapower

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rod; 4 Days Ago at 06:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well can assume if your going to KoM strava on an ebike, then your using a store bought ebike. Lots of people out there with custom ebikes, not restricted by any means except battery volts, controller amps and tire size and will blow by any store bought ebike. Interestingly enough, I saw a custom ebike the other day on an old Rocky Mountain, it had a rear hub and a triangle bag to hide the rest. Easily spotted, but I had no time to chit chat was on my way fishing at that time. I do see BionX every now and then, too bad they went bankrupt and its all proprietary. I followed behind a store bought cruiser, small geared rear hub type bicycle, going up a hill, he seemed to be in large crank gear, meant for flats, so maybe that one was not torque sensed and just had magnets, could probably back pedal and it'd give you power.

Downhill technical and the like, normal bicycle would win. Then you'd have a bicycle for every terrain scenerio if you want to be King.