Single Speed Junkie

Anyone have experience recovering a stolen bikes?

Just found two of my stolen bikes located in Nebraska via craigslist, unfortunately I'm in New Mexico.

Local PD in Nebraska have been no help.

Please PM me if you do. I have already confirmed these are my bikes verifying parts with the thief who stole them.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Were they taken across state lines? If so it's likely a crime that falls under federal jurisdiction.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Were they taken across state lines? If so it's likely a crime that falls under federal jurisdiction.
    That is a good point, but they were taken from Omaha NE to Lincoln NE.

I'd offer up remainder of the custom top caps I have for recovery.

Not helpful.
    Maybe try the Great Plains board?

Good luck. How the hell did you find them on CL in NE??

mtbr member
    Sorry, but not federal jurisdiction. The only way law enforcement can verify stolen property is if it is entered in the national database from the initial report. PM me if you would like me to go into further detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My buddies mtb was stolen, we searched craigslist for months and finally saw it for sale, clear pictures of aftermarket parts he installed as well as a few identifiable things (zip ties on handlebars from when he ripped a number plate off after a race, etc.)

Local Police were absolutely no help and said "You guys are grown men, no one is stopping you from meeting him and getting your bike back." So we did just that. Guy was quick to jump to "I found it in the bushes". So we briefly explained the situation and never handed the bike back. Luckily he didn't argue and was clearly more scared then anything, no trouble immediately but he did get in his car and follow us for a while. Probably after realizing he wasn't making 2,000 dollars he anticipated.

Our situation was easier since it was within a few miles from where the bike was stolen.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Road trip...
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Good luck man and bring back up.

Not helpful.

mtbr member
    If the bikes are worth anything near what mine are, then I'd definitely find a few buds for a road trip and go get them back, hit up some good trails on the way back to celebrate. Just tell the guy you're interested and have another friend who's also interested, looking to take a road trip for some riding, arrange to meet some place open and public, take the bikes into your possession and then tell him tough shit, if you can, let the local cops know what you're doing, move with proof of ownership.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I can think of two cases where guys found their bikes for sale and organized with the local PD to be present when they showed up to 'buy' them. In one case the scumbag selling it was able talk his way out of it saying he bought it off another guy and didn't know nothin'. In the other case, the guy had a whole bunch of other stolen bikes and got busted.

In both cases, I think the victims told the police that they were going to get their bikes bike and that they were concerned (or hopeful) there might be some violence and they showed up more to keep the peace than anything.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I can think of two cases where guys found their bikes for sale and organized with the local PD to be present when they showed up to 'buy' them. In one case the scumbag selling it was able talk his way out of it saying he bought it off another guy and didn't know nothin'. In the other case, the guy had a whole bunch of other stolen bikes and got busted.

In both cases, I think the victims told the police that they were going to get their bikes bike and that they were concerned (or hopeful) there might be some violence and they showed up more to keep the peace than anything.

After driving 14 hours just to get there I don't think I'd be in a very talkative mood. Not a positive for the guy who has them. The bikes are old, but worth it at least to me.

I would not be shocked if my bikes have some connection with 3 bikes stolen from The Bike Rack in Lincoln (Three Mountain Bikes Stolen From The Bike Rack - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com)

Your Best Friend
    Definitely find someone local who'd be willing to help you out. I know I'd do that for a fellow mtbr.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by crux View Post
    After driving 14 hours just to get there I don't think I'd be in a very talkative mood. Not a positive for the guy who has them. The bikes are old, but worth it at least to me.

I would not be shocked if my bikes have some connection with 3 bikes stolen from The Bike Rack in Lincoln (Three Mountain Bikes Stolen From The Bike Rack - News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com)
    Dude, your top caps are cool!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Cops might be more interested in that case.
    The bust I mentioned that involved a bunch of bikes actually made the local papers and stuff; a number of people ended up getting their bikes back; sure it was a nice surprise for them.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

CEO Product Failure
    This is a quite a few years back, the LBS owner who lives on the outskirts of town, had his carbon fiber HT stolen out of his garage. This was back before carbon fiber was main stream, the bike is an Orbea. A group of young people (teens and twenty-somethings) had been breaking into cars and garages stealing anything of value.

A couple weeks go by and there are a handful more burglaries but no leads. And no one has seen the HT. Then one of the no-good-nicks comes into the LBS and starts asking a shop mechanic how much the Orbea is worth. Shop mechanic coordinates with local police, Orbea comes home, no-good-nicks are still de-tasseling corn as their primary source of income.

since 4/10/2009

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I can think of two cases where guys found their bikes for sale and organized with the local PD to be present when they showed up to 'buy' them.
    There was one like this in San Diego a few years back, although I can't recall if they linked the guy they caught to any more thefts. The young lady got her bike back. The bike showed up for sale on Bay Area CL but the "buy" was set up in SD.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Thanks!

Edit: OP, I hope it works out. Safety first!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Good for her.

OP, hope you get your bikes back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    This guy did. Another cyclist saw his posts about the stolen bikes and recognised one, made the arrangements and stole it back.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

And another great ending to an otherwise sad story. ^
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Single Speed Junkie
    Police had their hands on my bikes today. Guy had a false hand written bill of sale stating he bought my two tricked out Ventanas for $600. Police just told me I'm out of luck. Police office is a bike guy as well and even told me this don't smell right at all but he can not do anything.

Theif has since pulled the Craigslist add and I'm sure the bikes are getting sent off and parted out right now. Should have made the road trip then just taken the two bikes from the theif.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Did you have the serial numbers? And proof of registrations anywhere? But I guess its too late now. Man that blows.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Did you have the serial numbers? And proof of registrations anywhere? But I guess its too late now. Man that blows.
    I even with serial numbers for the police they did nothing. There is an apparent bike theft group in Omaha / Lincoln Nebraska trading these bikes.

Lesson learned, next time no police do it yourself. (hopefully not)

mtbr member
    Unreal. Sorry to hear that.

Unbelievable! So once again our screwed up system gives the thieves the win.

Sorry to hear that brother.

WTF? With an ending like that, sounds like the police are in on it. So sorry to hear.

Deviant
    I once had to dive the waters of Friday Harbor looking for bikes that were stolen from a LBS. Our dive rescue team was volunteer and we occasionally had to do evidence Dives when we weren't recovering bodies. I know for me it felt like a waste of public resources and put the dive team in unnecessary danger just to recover some bicycles. Some genius apparently thought the thieves dumped them in the harbor. Now if somebody stole my bike I'd be like freaking Batman though and would be out for blood.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That sucks man. Sorry to hear.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Not helpful.
    Un-freaking-believable.

A pox on bike thieves. A POX!

Sorry, dude, this must hurt like hell.
    What's wrong with him??

CEO Product Failure
    Police had their hands on my bikes today. Guy had a false hand written bill of sale stating he bought my two tricked out Ventanas for $600. Police just told me I'm out of luck. Police office is a bike guy as well and even told me this don't smell right at all but he can not do anything.

Theif has since pulled the Craigslist add and I'm sure the bikes are getting sent off and parted out right now. Should have made the road trip then just taken the two bikes from the theif.
    Oh man...have you called Teresa and Sherwood (Ventana) to vouch for your purchase? Seems like there is more which should be done here. This is heart breaking.

CEO Product Failure
    This is bugging me now. I gotta ask-how and where were the bikes stolen?

I am super paranoid about the safety of my stable of bikes. Three of which are custom Ventanas. This situation is gut wrenching for me.

mtbr member
    This sucks. Look at the "Bike Worth" thread just posted. Thieves are everywhere! Stay diligent.

get us the officer or cheif's email. we should all let them know what we think of that!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

I'm definitely hiding some easter eggs in my new build. Something like business cards stuffed into the frame with my name & number and a handwritten note on each that says "if this card is still in here I DID NOT SELL THIS ****ING BIKE!"

Bikesexual
    That whole bill of sale thing is weird. Who does a bill of sale for bikes? Crazy, so sorry to hear that!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

since 4/10/2009
    This is terrible. Next time, make the road trip first, bring as much evidence as possible that the bikes are yours (receipts, dated photographs w/serial nos, etc), and THEN call the cops.

This is terrible. Next time, make the road trip first, bring as much evidence as possible that the bikes are yours (receipts, dated photographs w/serial nos, etc), and THEN call the cops.
    In hindsight I think we will all go this route if it happens to any of us. Who would have thought the cops would take this so lightly. Even with all the evidence he had as proof they blew it off because it wasnít a big enough crime.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know of a small GPS chip one could hide in their bike with all relevant info that could also be tracked via their phone?

If this technology doesn't already exist whoever got it to market would be like a licence to print money...I'll take 3 please.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Does anyone know of a small GPS chip one could hide in their bike with all relevant info that could also be tracked via their phone?

If this technology doesn't already exist whoever got it to market would be like a licence to print money...I'll take 3 please.
    It exists....kinda. There are major technical limitations regarding how small you can make it and how effective it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    This sucks. Look at the "Bike Worth" thread just posted. Thieves are everywhere! Stay diligent.

get us the officer or cheif's email. we should all let them know what we think of that!
    Itís not the officerís or the chiefís fault. They are operating within their scope.

Bikesexual
    It exists....kinda. There are major technical limitations regarding how small you can make it and how effective it is.
    Just did a search, and found this review. Warning, dull review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZExf9aa4Q4
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

Good stuff. I like the idea of hiding the last one up under my seat. May serve dual purpose of going all Tonya Harding on a bike theif.
    Imo there is a lot of room for improvement and the market is there.

since 4/10/2009

That doesn't even scratch the surface of what's on the market. There's a ton of products out there that make grand claims, but really can't back anything up.

Bury a GPS chip inside your bike and its reception is going to be garbage. Partly because it's buried inside the bike somewhere and partly because space is limited for a decent antenna. Further, put the bike inside something like a van or especially a building and you have no position. It's not difficult to shield a GPS chip with pretty low tech means. Stuff like this gets wide adoption? Bike thieves start using those low tech shielding tricks pretty widely and you might know when your bike got stolen, but never be able to track it down.

But that's not even the biggest limitation. It's the transmission of the position it gets. How strong do you want that transmitter to be? How long do you want it to be able to transmit? How frequently? How big are you willing to make the battery? Those are the biggest limitations. Further, if your transmitter is over cell towers, you now have to pay for a subscription service for each tracker you install on your bikes. Using another frequency (like bluetooth, which is on the market) creates other logistical problems.

Wildlife GPS trackers are on the market that would address a lot of these concerns, but they are EXPENSIVE. And this cheap garbage from Aliexpress and even name brand consumer grade stuff (where price is going to be a major concern for people) can't approach the scientific gear for the price.

It's notable here that none of these products have a listed price.
    Lotek GPS Wildlife Collars

Frankly, the tech just isn't good enough for this application on bicycles.

Single Speed Junkie
    That whole bill of sale thing is weird. Who does a bill of sale for bikes? Crazy, so sorry to hear that!
    To me it indicates an educated crook. With a piece of paper the bike is somehow legal? I don't think so. The cop even said the deal stinks but could not help out

CEO Product Failure
    So based on this cop's explanation, someone goes into BestBuys and steals an iPhoneX. I get caught with the stolen merchandise and produce a sketchy sales receipt---and that's it? The iPhoneX is mine?!?! This completely validates and legitimizes theft.

Deviant
    Something sounds off about this whole thing. If you buy stolen property it does not matter if you actually paid for it and got a receipt. It's still stolen property that must be returned to the rightful owners. You can claim you didn't know it was stolen and walk away scot-free but that doesn't absolve you from turning the property over to authorities.
    Was this stuff reported stolen and a police report filed at the time of the theft?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post
    Something sounds off about this whole thing. If you buy stolen property it does not matter if you actually paid for it and got a receipt. It's still stolen property that must be returned to the rightful owners. You can claim you didn't know it was stolen and walk away scot-free but that doesn't absolve you from turning the property over to authorities.
    Was this stuff reported stolen and a police report filed at the time of the theft?

Possesion of stolen property is a crime regardless of how it came into your possession. My guess is the cops weren't interested or he got the run around by a 3rd party. This is why Charles Bronson had a death wish, man!

I have to keep reminding myself to be more angry at the thief than at the police handling this case.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I have to keep reminding myself to be more angry at the thief than at the police handling this case.
    Unfortunately the police do have their hands full. It's also unfortunate that when they hear the word bicycle they are not thinking $6,000. My bikes are under armed guard 24/7. Too much filth in this world that thinks your shit is their shit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by He1enKe1ler View Post
    Local Police were absolutely no help and said "You guys are grown men, no one is stopping you from meeting him and getting your bike back."
    WTF!!! Really, so law enforcement is advocating that victims go find their own suspects and go kick tail on them?

It's one thing if police in your community are overburdened with "real crimes". If they don't see themselves as being able to help you, they should just say so. But to make a remark that they did would have gotten a response from me like "What the hell kind of a response was that? I came to you for help and this is what you have to say? I pay your salary, you work for me". Totally unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Pretty hard to do.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    WTF!!! Really, so law enforcement is advocating that victims go find their own suspects and go kick tail on them?

It's one thing if police in your community are overburdened with "real crimes". If they don't see themselves as being able to help you, they should just say so. But to make a remark that they did would have gotten a response from me like "What the hell kind of a response was that? I came to you for help and this is what you have to say? I pay your salary, you work for me". Totally unprofessional.
    To fix this, tell them that you are going to retrieve your stolen bike and that they should have an ambulance nearby, just in case. I promise the police will come.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Possesion of stolen property is a crime regardless of how it came into your possession. My guess is the cops weren't interested or he got the run around by a 3rd party. This is why Charles Bronson had a death wish, man!
    Except for one constitutionally required concept you seem to have forgotten--mens rea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    Except for one constitutionally required concept you seem to have forgotten--mens rea.
    Fair point. Given the context of the thread any municple court judge I've ever known would gavel guilty of possessing stolen property in under 1 minute here.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post

I reported them as stolen to the police the miniute I discovered they were gone. Police still did nothing. So yeah I'm upset with the police.

I'm even more upset with the crooks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Anyone have experience recovering a stolen bikes?

I reported them as stolen to the police the miniute I discovered they were gone. Police still did nothing. So yeah I'm upset with the police.
    Iíd approach the media with the story. Perhaps some embarrassment for this will cause them to take more action next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Fair point. Given the context of the thread any municple court judge I've ever known would gavel guilty of possessing stolen property in under 1 minute here.
    Except a bicycle would be a felony amount. No municipal court judge would hear this anywhere. It would be a jury trial, and there would be no criminal intent.

CEO Product Failure
    Not that I'm into to cyber-shaming but I think the police need to be called out on this.

To the OP, if you could please post the contact information of the authorities you spoke with along with the pertinent case details (item description, dates, etc.), then maybe those interested could express their concerns via email and social media to those authorities.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Story with a happy ending.....About 30 yrs ago(time really does fly by the older you get, if you hear somebody say that, its not bs) a roommate,Colleen, had her bike stolen, her only transportation, she was pissed and sad. About 2 weeks later I spotted the bike downtown in front of a resturant, walked into the restaurant and announced I really liked the silver bike parked in front and I was taking it as it appeared to be(actually it was) the bike stolen from my roommate, if anyone wanted to discuss the issue please step outside with me, two guys in a booth sort of started to get up but didn't, no one else spoke up, I took the bike. I put the bike in her room to surprise her, when she returned home she was surprised and very, very, very happy. Full disclosure: I'm a very large guy, at that time I was into lifting, weighed around 275, perhaps thats why the jerks didn't want to discuss it. Happy ending!

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Not that I'm into to cyber-shaming but I think the police need to be called out on this.

To the OP, if you could please post the contact information of the authorities you spoke with along with the pertinent case details (item description, dates, etc.), then maybe those interested could express their concerns via email and social media to those authorities.
    I have quite a few police and ex police in my family. Not only are they paid with our taxes, but they retire at 90% of the highest paid year they ever worked. I went to buy my cousin a beer, he said don't worry about it, I am making 140k/yr. He just turned 61.

They need to do more
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I PM'ed you, crux. If you can find them in my area, I will go get them. I will be armed - with a bill of sale. If some clever person could get the thief's name (even a first name), I would take the bike for a spin, sell it to my partner in justice, and I would write him a bill of sale (from the thief), and when/if the cops show up, I'd have the friend say that the sh*tbird had sold it to HIM.

I repossessed my daughter's 29 a few summers ago. The buyer of a waaaay too small-framed 29er, brought it into the LBS. It had been stolen in Lawrence, but my LBS knew the bike cuz I'd told them to be on the lookout. I was out and about when the Mgr called and said it was in there. I bee-lined to the shop, but the owner's (not too sharp) son had told the kid that the cops were on their way. He as still there when I got there, and I told him that I was taking the bike. He left like he was shot from a cannon. Officer shows up, contacts his supervisor who tells him that it has to be taken to HQ. I had to unload it from my car, and the responding officer apologized like crazy. Still took me 10 days to get it from the Stolen Property building. Lesson: never involve the police unless you must. I should've left the bike w/ the Mgr. and I should've come back. I order my parts direct from China, so I don't spend much in the LBS (except small/cheap stuff), and after that cluster, I feel very little guilt about it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sorry to hear it Andy.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I had a bike stolen and got it back.

1995-ish, I had organized an indoor mountain bike race series in the winter. Multiple laps on a BMX track, pretty much piggy-backing on an existing BMX race series. Pretty good turnout, and a lot of fun. After one of the races, a few of us headed to Broadway Brewing Co in downtown Denver for $2 bombers, and my bike got stolen out of my car while we were there. Filed a report with the police, they didn't care, never heard anything from them.

Then months later, while walking back from breakfast with my then girlfriend, now wife, in downtown Denver, I spotted the bike up on some guy's balcony. It was funny because everywhere I went I looked at bikes, saying "not my bike, not my bike", then one day, that's my bike! Called the cops, they dispatched a uniform, we went up to the guy's apartment, cop knocked on the guy's door, guy answers, there was some arguing, then cop handed me my bike.

Dude had it all scuffed down and ready to paint, but other than that it was in good shape. Also had several other bikes in similar condition. A detective contacted me later, had me bring down some proof of ownership, took my statement, and told me the dude was part of a bike theft ring, and they took down a bunch of them as a result of this one case.

I had already gotten another bike, so I gave the theft recovery to my brother who was very overweight and out of shape at the time, and it totally changed his life. He really got into riding it, lost what seems like 100 pounds, and he still rides to this day, and is still in good shape.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tedsti View Post
    Sorry to hear it Andy.
    THanks Ted, I appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mehlertmj View Post
    Itís not the officerís or the chiefís fault. They are operating within their scope.
    That is absolute nonsense. A felony happened and there are suspects. The police should be investigating this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twodownzero View Post
    That is absolute nonsense. A felony happened and there are suspects. The police should be investigating this.
    Itís not nonsense, police have to operate within the law as well, thatís why we have the constitution. If John Doe stole your $5,000 bike and you know that he has it, go take it back. There is nothing saying that you canít. If you failed to file a report on your stolen bike with the make, model, and serial number so that the bike can be entered as ďstolenĒ, then that is on you, not the police.

The whole situation is a ďhe said, she saidĒ situation without physical proof. The suspect provided a written bill of sale for the bike, albeit fake, there is no reasonable suspicion that the bike was stolen at that point. It may feel and look like nonsense, but unfortunately thatís how things have to operate.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post

1995-ish, I had organized an indoor mountain bike race series in the winter. Multiple laps on a BMX track, pretty much piggy-backing on an existing BMX race series. Pretty good turnout, and a lot of fun. After one of the races, a few of us headed to Broadway Brewing Co in downtown Denver for $2 bombers, and my bike got stolen out of my car while we were there. Filed a report with the police, they didn't care, never heard anything from them.

Then months later, while walking back from breakfast with my then girlfriend, now wife, in downtown Denver, I spotted the bike up on some guy's balcony. It was funny because everywhere I went I looked at bikes, saying "not my bike, not my bike", then one day, that's my bike! Called the cops, they dispatched a uniform, we went up to the guy's apartment, cop knocked on the guy's door, guy answers, there was some arguing, then cop handed me my bike.

Dude had it all scuffed down and ready to paint, but other than that it was in good shape. Also had several other bikes in similar condition. A detective contacted me later, had me bring down some proof of ownership, took my statement, and told me the dude was part of a bike theft ring, and they took down a bunch of them as a result of this one case.

I had already gotten another bike, so I gave the theft recovery to my brother who was very overweight and out of shape at the time, and it totally changed his life. He really got into riding it, lost what seems like 100 pounds, and he still rides to this day, and is still in good shape.

Great story!
    What's wrong with him??

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Great story!
    100% agree with that. Thanks for sharing _CJ.

I was 13 years old in Rochester, NY. My parents had just bought me a brand new Schwinn Collegiate. A new model that looked like a 10 speed road bike but was a 5 speed. My parents restricted me to stay within my neighborhood with it. One summer day I had a Little Leagie game I had to play in. It was a good 10 miles away near downtown Rochester. I had nobody to drive me there so I went for it. Pedaled like crazy, I couldnít believe how far it was. When I arrived, there must have been over 100 bikes in rows and rows of bike racks. Mostly junker bikes and I knew my brand new green Schwinn would stick out like a sore thumb, so I tried to hide it in the middle of a congested rack. I then went and played the baseball game. After the game Iím walking back to where my bike was. A huge crowd of kids collecting their bikes. Mine was not where I put it. My stomach sank, nervously rushing around looking I spotted a police car in the parking lot. I ran up and explained what happened and the description of the bike. The cops took off, meanwhile Iím about in tears running around looking for it. About 20 minutes passed and the cop car came back. They got out and there sticking out of the tied down trunk lid was my bike. They said they found it just a little ways away thrown in a roadside ditch. The thief must have saw the cops, got nervous and ditched it. I was elated to find zero damage to it. I never told my parents about it until years later as an adult at a family reunion. They werenít too happy I had left the neighborhood and basically knew I learned a lesson from it.