since 4/10/2009

Anyone had any issues with USPS shipping in the past couple weeks?

I ordered some vernier calipers on ebay about 2wks ago for a wheel build (I cannot, in good conscience, buy what amounts to a battery-powered ruler), and the seller was pretty good about getting shipping together. The tracking number was created on Jan 7th, and the "anticipated delivery" date was last week.

According to the seller, who sells quite a bit, and who I trust in this case, he got my package to USPS on the 7th. USPS hasn't updated tracking information AT ALL. Still says the package is in "pre-shipment". Of course, I also haven't received the item and will probably open a case with them on Monday if the item isn't delivered.

I've been getting mail and other package deliveries just fine otherwise, which is part of why this particular one is confusing to me.

Cycologist
    I made two orders from Chain Reaction last month. The second one appeared to have cleared customs and been turned over to the USPS. They then spent over a week moving it from NY to another place in NY, my anticipated delivery date being within that time. Then they finally sent it to me. But it wasn't showing as "pre-shipment". I would try to find out just what "pre-shipment" means; does it mean they have physically received it or just that the seller put in paperwork but they haven't received it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

All fat, all the time.
    The past month or so (holiday season) we've had stuff get delivered to the neighbors a few times, and also got packages at our place that were supposed to go to neighbors.
    It's like they were overworked and nobody cares anymore.

It is the government after all.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I would try to find out just what "pre-shipment" means; does it mean they have physically received it or just that the seller put in paperwork but they haven't received it.
    the tracking page is pretty clear about what it means. it's the second of the options you list. says that the seller has put in the paperwork, but that USPS hasn't received it. yet, according to the seller, USPS has had it since the 7th. I see no reason for the seller to lie about that.

maybe they lost it before they had a chance to scan it. maybe they're lazy/overworked and never bothered to scan it. maybe they're scanning it, but nothing is updating on the website (if this is the case, wtf is the point?). maybe the tracking label is damaged and they can't scan it. maybe the seller IS lying to me.

no major misdeliveries at my house lately, however it's not terribly uncommon for them to occur. esp in my neighborhood between neighbors who might have addresses that are 10 house numbers apart.

jcd's best friend
    USPS did the same thing to me when I bought stuff from Worldwide Cyclery. It shipped on the 9th (priority) and zero tracking information popped up the whole time. On delivery day, everything was updated.

Right after Xmas, I ordered my SRAM Code R brakes, SRAM brake bleed kit, and some fluids from my vendor 2 1/2 hours from me. I normally get stuff next day from the post office. Instead, they delivered the package to the wrong address (wrong zip code too) and had zero tracking information. The post office was baffled. They were able to GPS track where it was last scanned and it was at a group mailbox in another neighborhood.

My vendor was awesome and shipped me all of my stuff again which I did receive this time along with a huge rip in the side of the damn box. I swear, the post office doesn't like SRAM.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel | Transition Scout

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    FWIW, USPS tracking updates are not really real-time. Holiday season or not.

Depending on the shipping option (I assume free shipping means vendor choses the cheapest) stuff also is stuck in some cities for days. My guess is they prioritize the more expensive shipments and if there is room on the truck, the cheap shipments get on as well.

Don't like it? Chose the (higher priced) faster shipping options.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

Flat Pluto Society
    I got a set of calipers the other day that I can't remember ordering.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I got a set of calipers the other day that I can't remember ordering.
    Apparently sent to opposite side of the country. Sounds like you’ve got Harold by the 🥜’s.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Had a guy ship something a couple months back and his local office just didn't bother to scan it in when he dropped it off. It showed up in their system about 5 days later. There were no major weather/fire/etc events in the area. When I asked the seller when he was going to drop the package off, he said his local PO is really bad about entering stuff into the system. It arrived fine, if a few days late.

the discerning hooligan
    I was going to suggest a weather related issue. I also think the volume they handle at USPS has probably spilled over the top of what their systems were designed to handle. The problems we've had with them for the last couple of months are such that I wouldn't use them for my shipping. My guess is that it varies a lot from location to location.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    the tracking page is pretty clear about what it means. it's the second of the options you list. says that the seller has put in the paperwork, but that USPS hasn't received it. yet, according to the seller, USPS has had it since the 7th. I see no reason for the seller to lie about that.

maybe they lost it before they had a chance to scan it. maybe they're lazy/overworked and never bothered to scan it. maybe they're scanning it, but nothing is updating on the website (if this is the case, wtf is the point?). maybe the tracking label is damaged and they can't scan it. maybe the seller IS lying to me.

no major misdeliveries at my house lately, however it's not terribly uncommon for them to occur. esp in my neighborhood between neighbors who might have addresses that are 10 house numbers apart.
    Does the shipper receive a receipt when they drop it off? I guess if it was just picked up from their mailbox, they wouldn't. But it seems like it is on the shipper if the USPS says they never received it, even if they did and didn't scan it in. Would suck to be the shipper in that case but sometimes in business you need to have a paper trail to show you did your part and the issue is on another party. Otherwise, I imagine the USPS can just claim they never received it.

since 4/10/2009
    For one, I was never given shipping options. It shipped how the seller was willing to ship it. USPS first class, with a tracking number. If you've paid for shipping online and just drop the package off, receiving a receipt is up to you. When I've done it for work (boss didn't want the extra paper, 'cause he got a receipt when he paid online), I've just left the package on the counter.

I suppose weather delay is possible, but that doesn't explain why the item hasn't been scanned in the week that they've supposely had it. It did get shipped from the other side of the country, but AFAIK, any weather was between the origin and the destination and wasn't that bad. Nothing has been particularly bad here, and I haven't heard of anything particularly bad in SoCal (the origin), either.

First off, I was looking for confirmation of USPS being super lazy about scanning stuff into their tracking system. Usually, tracking updates have been at least relatively prompt, with an occasional item that isn't updated until delivery (but it gets delivered on the estimated day, so less concern). I did get that much, at least.

the discerning hooligan
    For one, I was never given shipping options....

First off, I was looking for confirmation of USPS being super lazy about scanning stuff into their tracking system.

I was suggesting that if I needed to send a package I wouldn't use them. UPS is pretty convienient for us.

I'm not sure they are lazy...I think your parts probably got lost when the shipping was ordered and paid for but before it was registered into the system for actual delivery. I don't know how that can happen, but it has happened to us twice in the last 8 or 10 weeks. FWIW, both of those shipments were small enough to come in a padded shipping envelope and both were 3rd party fulfilling Amazon orders.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Cycologist
    My sister purchased something online for my wife for Christmas (not from Amazon) and she told me it was going to be late. We never got it so I called her and she said she had received an email that it had been returned. They showed a delivery date of Dec 26th, which is the day we left early in the morning to go out of town.

Meanwhile, on the 8th, we got a doorknob hanger from Fed Ex that they tried to deliver but required a signature. I signed it and stuck it on the door. They never attempted another delivery. I went by their office yesterday and the guy looked it up and said it had a different name and address on it.

So I guess my wife's present was delivered to the wrong house and they returned it.

Flat Pluto Society
    It's really hard to scan shit.

All fat, all the time.
    Yeah, it gets all over the scanner!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    And...today I received a package. My mail was supposed to be held Friday through Tuesday (woulda been a surprise for the wife). Yeah, it's Sunday but we got like 16" of snow here Fri/Sat. USPS is effed up.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    And...today I received a package. My mail was supposed to be held Friday through Tuesday (woulda been a surprise for the wife). Yeah, it's Sunday. USPS is effed up.
    Maybe I should go look in my mailbox...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Maybe I should go look in my mailbox...

It’s been an hour, how long does it take to get to your mailbox?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    It’s been an hour, how long does it take to get to your mailbox?
    I have to climb a steep hill both ways. It was empty anyway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I do a far bit of shipping for work. Generally I ship domestically with FedEx ground, but sometimes things also go air with 2 or 3 day options depending on the value of the materials being shipped and the necessity for a tight timeline.

Occasionally I also have to ship things internationally. FedEx is very expensive for this option. I recently discovered that USPS contracts with FedEx for their expedited services which include customs clearance services. Generally this product gets a package to its European destination in 3 days. The cost for the USPS/FedEx is about 1/3 of the price for FedEx.

You get what you pay for! I shipped two packages recently, one to just outside of London and one to Copenhagen. The Danish shipment took an extra day and the near-London shipment is yet to be delivered. That one is going on one week now. Not OK. The USPS system tracks packages, but not in real time and it is also not updated enough. Not sure I will use the USPS service again. I guess I will have to knuckle up for a huge price increase. Instead of $150 to get something to Europe I will be paying $450. So it goes. That is the price of doing business.

By the way, I am not shipping bike parts!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    One drawback with USPS tracking is how they update. It's only once it's received at the local post office (I believe). Unlike the other 2 carriers that scan and update at each stop.

USPS to take a week doesn't sound too unreasonable. Assuming the seller sent the package for the cheapest delivery option.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago, having an item from a private party out of Texas to California. It took a couple weeks. No tracking updates, etc. Then one day it arrived.

Hang in there, I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I use USPS pretty much exclusively, except when I'm shipping fish and I need it overnight. USPS contracts with a lot of folks, Fed Ex, airlines, etc. I find no one else can match their priority/bulk rates and the Fed Ex/UPS stuff is sometimes just outrageous. Of course, we subsidize USPS to some extent to keep those rates fairly fixed based on where it's coming from and going, but I digress. I don't have any problems with USPS and I find them to be very reliable. I know about about the inner workings and they have a very very strict system and high accountability for delivering mail. People rely on them for things like perscriptions, which is why they aren't shut down right now. Like everything else, they do get a little backed up, but even during the height of the holiday season this year, my packages were getting to where they were supposed to go within the allotted time. The tracking system may be the issue here, as mentioned above.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    One drawback with USPS tracking is how they update. It's only once it's received at the local post office (I believe). Unlike the other 2 carriers that scan and update at each stop.

USPS to take a week doesn't sound too unreasonable. Assuming the seller sent the package for the cheapest delivery option.

I was in a similar situation a couple years ago, having an item from a private party out of Texas to California. It took a couple weeks. No tracking updates, etc. Then one day it arrived.

Hang in there, I'm sure there is nothing to worry about.
    I honestly haven't noticed the tracking being that slow to update most of the time. Usually, it's been respectable for me. The "only updating once it reaches its destination" has been a rare occurrence for me.

I don't think the seller chose the cheapest option. Chose first class mail. Sent the 7th, supposed to be delivered the 11th, which would be what I'd expect. Though I suspect he DID ship in a padded envelope, which has concerned me. I've had empty envelopes delivered before. I had one somewhat recently that had a hole torn in it that was big enough for the item to fall out, but somehow, amazingly, the item was inside, intact. When I send things, the only stuff that goes in envelopes would be documents.

Turns right to go left
    I ordered some vernier calipers on ebay about 2wks ago for a wheel build (I cannot, in good conscience, buy what amounts to a battery-powered ruler), and the seller was pretty good about getting shipping together. The tracking number was created on Jan 7th, and the "anticipated delivery" date was last week.

According to the seller, who sells quite a bit, and who I trust in this case, he got my package to USPS on the 7th. USPS hasn't updated tracking information AT ALL. Still says the package is in "pre-shipment". Of course, I also haven't received the item and will probably open a case with them on Monday if the item isn't delivered.

I've been getting mail and other package deliveries just fine otherwise, which is part of why this particular one is confusing to me.
    More and more, I'm running into the same issue with USPS tracking when shipping or waiting on a shipment. Sometimes the package never gets beyond "pre-shipment" and just shows up at some point. I did learn that if the shipper drops off a prelabled package at a third party shipping outlet that excepts USPS, or drops it off at the post office and does not wait in line to have the package scanned, it is possible for the package to move through the USPS network for days without showing any tracking progress. No movement shows until the package is scanned for the first time. You would think a package would be scanned every time it makes a move in the network, just like FedEx and UPS have been doing for 20 years...but USPS is still doing some manual sorting. Why am I not surprised???

Cycologist
    Looking at the calendar, I would definitely give it a little more time, it's just been a week.

Flat Pluto Society
    CRESTED BUTTE — The newest winter endurance activity in this recreation-minded town hasn’t involved skis or fat bikes. It has involved patience — more patience than some can muster — while waiting for service at the local post office.

Over the Christmas holidays and still stretching into this new year, Crested Buttians have had to endure standing in line for up to two hours to pick up or send parcels. For some, that meant Christmas presents never made it under the tree; they remained stacked in the back room of an overworked and understaffed post office or had been “returned to sender” as the holiday came and went.
    More here.

Looking at the calendar, I would definitely give it a little more time, it's just been a week.

“Patience, young grasshopper"

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Just because the package isn't posted to the tracking site doesn't mean it isn't scanned at the sorting facilities.

I had a concern over a package that was presumably lost, kicked around in a warehouse. It was scanned in at a sorting facility and had not movement for day, the sorting facility was 6 hours from my house.

I'd made a trip to the post office to have it checked on. Continually checked online. Nothing. It eventually showed up, but longer than I think it should have.
    However, the shipping standard wans't a first class or overnight or high priority, and this was over a Christmas holiday. In my own theory, there wasn't room on a tuck for it so it waited until the next day, and the next, and...

You get the idea.

But yeah, the USPS service does not post updates at every point of movement. Been this way for a very long time.

mtbr member
    I grabbed a shimano RD since CRC may not be able to sell shimano in this country, ordered before the deadline. It was put on a plane on the 1st, was handed over to USPS by the 2nd and has been in Chicago ever since. Still waiting, but I checked the tracking and supposedly it's in MN as of 6am this morning. It will still be a couple days since I get it though I'm guessing. So yeah, USPS is slow right now.

I'll also mention that I purchased a couple items from the same seller on ebay, shipped at the same time, same expected delivery date. 1 package came early in a couple days while the other went on a trip around the US or something and came about a week late. Who knows what goes on at the Post Office.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

One ring to mash them all
    I had an inbound package shipped using UPS (not USPS) that appeared to go the opposite direction as I was watching the tracking info. On the day it was supposed to be delivered to me, the tracking info showed it went from a location a few miles from my home back to a location it had been scanned the previous day, about 90 miles away. I started to freak a little since it was a Xmas gift for my daughter (a rather pricey camera lens). We don't have a problem with package thieves, but I wanted to be home when it arrived nonetheless. I decided to give it another day but it ended up being delivered that evening. Scanning error?
    ITMFA

CEO Product Failure

Upset

9 out of 10 of my last USPS orders were delivered late. INSPITE of USPS stating the packages were delivered. My first thought was porch bandits (thieves). Then I'd get the seller involved. They'd track the package, contact USPS, and in one case they resent the order (via FedEx). In EVERY circumstance the packages showed up 10-30+ days later AFTER USPS stated they had been delivered.

Apparently on time delivery is tied to USPS management bonuses. So rather than deliver something late, they LIE, tell everyone the package has been delivered, and then deliver at their discretion. The local news station uncovered this and stated the holiday crush contributed to this situation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    The holiday season is over and I don't expect them to have delays. However, I sold a handlebar on Ebay and shipped out via priority mail to FL It took them 5 days to be Out for Delivery today... In your case, just escalate your case to Ebay. 2 weeks are just too long even if you are expecting to be delivered... Once you escalated your case, it would take another 5 days for Ebay to resolve it. Technically, the seller or you have 3 weeks to wait for the package to come in or at least tracking showing some updates....

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    For CRC??? Coming from the UK...I am expecting at least 2 full weeks..if you are lucky. They use a crappy courier service Trakpak. I ordered a set of DT Swiss rims from them. The order was shipped out the next day but it didn't leave for America until 7 days later... Another week just to reach to NY... Once the order was in the US custom, it got delivered to me really quick.

since 4/10/2009
    Okay. I've got some answers. Looks like a little bit of everything...lol. USPS is such a mess.

So the package was delivered today, good thing. Who knows why it was a couple days late? Tracking info would have been nice.

Looking at the tracking history for the item, it looks like the tracking info was never scanned until the package got to my local post office this morning. No origin scan. No intermediate scans at any distribution centers. Just my local PO arrival scan, a sorting scan, an out-for-delivery scan, and the actual delivery scan. Very strange.

Amusingly enough, it looks like it came from an antique shop or something like that, considering the style of price label that was on it. Handwritten, old fashioned sticker, faded. Had what I understand to be the MSRP on it ($89), and I paid $35 for it. It's in great shape, though the leather case has a couple tears.

mtbr member
    I got lucky yesterday too. A few days off the projected mark, but I'm glad it's here.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeed73 View Post
    For CRC??? Coming from the UK...I am expecting at least 2 full weeks..if you are lucky. They use a crappy courier service Trakpak. I ordered a set of DT Swiss rims from them. The order was shipped out the next day but it didn't leave for America until 7 days later... Another week just to reach to NY... Once the order was in the US custom, it got delivered to me really quick.
    Weird, CRC has been faster than Nashbar for me and I'm in CA.

I'm expecting a USPS package from CO, I just checked and it won't be here until Friday, let's see how that goes. I do see a full tracking history so far.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

be1
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    my street address number is 1000. i live on a cul-de-sac with 6 other houses. our mail is constantly being sent to the wrong house - so we have to swap it out. but i also get mail for other addresses with 1000 address number - like if i lived at 1000 Smith Dr i often get mail for 1000 Jones Dr which would be way across town. i call that lazy.

but i usually get my usps packages in a reasonable amount of time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post

I'm expecting a USPS package from CO, I just checked and it won't be here until Friday, let's see how that goes. I do see a full tracking history so far.
    Their different shipping options seem to differ greatly in quality and speed.

I ordered some stuff last month that came with expedited shipping. It shipped through DHL, and one box went from the UK to California in two days. Tracking updates were constant and accurate the whole way too.

I ordered something last week with standard shipping (Trakpak) and it is apparently still on a horse cart between different shipping centers in Europe with a couple enigmatic tracking updates

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    I shipped/received about 60 packages via USPS last year, all arrived without a hitch (a few a bit later than expected due to...reasons).
    Knocking on wood here.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Okay. I've got some answers. Looks like a little bit of everything...lol. USPS is such a mess.

So the package was delivered today, good thing. Who knows why it was a couple days late? Tracking info would have been nice.

Looking at the tracking history for the item, it looks like the tracking info was never scanned until the package got to my local post office this morning. No origin scan. No intermediate scans at any distribution centers. Just my local PO arrival scan, a sorting scan, an out-for-delivery scan, and the actual delivery scan. Very strange.

Amusingly enough, it looks like it came from an antique shop or something like that, considering the style of price label that was on it. Handwritten, old fashioned sticker, faded. Had what I understand to be the MSRP on it ($89), and I paid $35 for it. It's in great shape, though the leather case has a couple tears.
    Ok, I know a few of us will sleep better tonight knowing the final outcome.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Well, just received one a day late, paying attention to the tracking. The tracking was accurate, except for the delivery date, as in it wasn't saying it was out for delivery before it was, but the "estimated?" delivery date was not accurate obviously.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Ok, I know a few of us will sleep better tonight knowing the final outcome.
    Hah!
    Crisis averted!

So, what did you need to measure anyways?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    The tracking and scanning methods described in this thread are typical USPS. Comparing to other carriers is useless as they do not operate the same.

Perhaps the package was sent by train ..... there would be no tracking as it cross the state lines because USPS doesn't stop the train to scan it, for example. It will be scanned when it reaches the next major facility.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Have you signed up for USPS informed delivery? Not that would help if a package is lost but you can follow the progress. Lately our mail is screwed up, delivery made but shows up hours later. They sometimes prescan before actually delivering.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Hah!
    Crisis averted!

So, what did you need to measure anyways?
    ERD of a rim for spokes. Also measuring to have a tapered washer made so I can use a dt rws thru axle in my wren fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What Im seeing a lot lately is either DHL, FedEx or UPS, which have a shipping method that is a hybrid between those shipping companies and USPS. These have to be about the crappiest method of shipping that is being used. Ive found 1) the package is very had to track, sometimes shows at the same location for a week or so, 2) no communication from the shipping company whatsoever. I cannot understand how working with two companies to ship one package could be more cost effective than standard USPS.
    Ive had products shipped from Los Angeles to my home, about 100 miles away, take over a week to arrive.
    EXODUX Jeff

Bikesexual
    Jenson USA is making some kind of shipping changes.

I got a message on my last order, that I wouldn't get the usual first order confirmation number, but the order was received.

Yesterday, I got an email it was shipped, but it didn't arrive today, I get their stuff next day 99% of the time. I just tracked it, and its not listed on OnTrac's website.

Something is up, or it's this darn rain that wont stop.

Sorry, thought it may be relevant.

Carry on!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ive had packages that were shipped via OnTrac which showed delivered while being tracked, but was actually delivered the next day....couldnt understand how that works.

Back in the late eighties, early nineties, I was a UPS driver, so thats why Im so critical on shipping, delievery, route and direction issues that still linger till this day.
    EXODUX Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    ive had packages that were shipped via OnTrac which showed delivered while being tracked, but was actually delivered the next day....couldnt understand how that works.

Back in the late eighties, early nineties, I was a UPS driver, so thats why Im so critical on shipping, delievery, route and direction issues that still linger till this day.
    Pretty weird. It is an amazing system they have though. The mind boggles with how many packages per day are accounted for and where they are at any given time.

BOOM goes the dynamite!

Just got a package shipped first class from CO to MO. Picked up at 4:55pm and delivered this evening (scheduled for Sat). They went from slow to whoa! No idea what to expect from them.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Just got a package shipped first class from CO to MO. Picked up at 4:55pm and delivered this evening (scheduled for Sat). They went from slow to whoa! No idea what to expect from them.
    Lol! Mine was for Friday, and it arrived today. CO to CA.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Lol! Mine was for Friday, and it arrived today. CO to CA.
    Saweeet! (too bad it'll never happen again, lol)

Combat Wombat
    I spent 10 years working as an instructor at the USPS training center in Norman, Oklahoma, teaching maintenance and operations for package processing machines. These machines utilize line scan cameras that read bar coded shipping labels and hand written addresses. It is amazing what these machines are capable of reading on a package traveling on a conveyor belt at 375 feet per minute and can still sort 10K packages an hour. Pretty cool stuff.

Along with my instructing duties, I also worked closely with the Post Office on updates and development of these machines. Because of this, I had an account that gave me access to an incredible amount of information on the Postal Intranet. I used this information primarily to assist in training supervisors on understanding and identifying issues with "At Risk" mail (mail that does not get sorted properly) and package tracking at their facilities. I could even pull up the images of these packages taken by the scan cameras. All packages with tracking labels are tracked and the information stored, as they pass through these machines. For whatever reasons, the USPS powers to be, severely limits the tracking information available to joe customer.

One other thing I would like to point out, up until about 2008, the USPS was not only not subsidized, but a big money maker for the US Government. The decline of 2nd class mail, and the increased use of electronic media, changed that. Left there for a different job in the Fall of 2014 and do not know how things are now.

since 4/10/2009
    So here's a new scenario for me. Ordered a crankset direct from Race Face a bit ago, so it's coming from Canada. They have shipped it via UPS. The tracking has been well-updated, except for the few days it spent on a truck crossing the country.

Just got a call from the UPS driver (I put my phone number with the order when I ordered it) to verify the address. Had the total incorrect house number and street (correct town and zip, though) and he was calling to verify. Maybe he was confused that the name didn't match who he usually delivers to at that address or something.

Anyway, I went back to my order confirmation email from Race Face, and they displayed my correct address twice (once under shipping address and again under billing). A definite wtf moment. How did the other address get put on there? Did customs do that?

Cycologist
    So here's a new scenario for me. Ordered a crankset direct from Race Face a bit ago, so it's coming from Canada. They have shipped it via UPS. The tracking has been well-updated, except for the few days it spent on a truck crossing the country.

Just got a call from the UPS driver (I put my phone number with the order when I ordered it) to verify the address. Had the total incorrect house number and street (correct town and zip, though) and he was calling to verify. Maybe he was confused that the name didn't match who he usually delivers to at that address or something.

Anyway, I went back to my order confirmation email from Race Face, and they displayed my correct address twice (once under shipping address and again under billing). A definite wtf moment. How did the other address get put on there? Did customs do that?

That is weird. Sounds like what may have happened with the Christmas gift my sister sent my wife, they ended up being returned after being delivered but not to our house.

You'd think the address label would be printed directly from what you input. Maybe it was but someone slapped the wrong sticker on the wrong package. Lucky the driver called you.

since 4/10/2009
    That is weird. Sounds like what may have happened with the Christmas gift my sister sent my wife, they ended up being returned after being delivered but not to our house.

You'd think the address label would be printed directly from what you input. Maybe it was but someone slapped the wrong sticker on the wrong package. Lucky the driver called you.
    I'll see more once the package gets delivered. Driver said I'll be able to see the label. I just tried to google the street he told me is on the label. No wonder he was confused. There's no street with that name in my town. This is especially weird. Mixed up the house number and street from some other address somewhere (who knows where) but correct town and zip. I really want to see if this label is the original label, or a reprint. So strange.

turtles make me hot
    I had forgotten about this but this thread made me remember. In November or December I had ordered a flip thread chuck for a Lezyne pump. Whoever I bought it from shipped it USPS. I remember checking the tracking on the day it was expected and it was at my local post office getting ready to go out for delivery. Later in the day, it was in the next town and the day after that, it was five towns East. Then it went back West to New Jersey where it was rerouted back to me on Long Island. I got it four days later.
    It was for my mom down in Florida so when I shipped it to her I told her that thing had started in Kentucky, went to NJ, toured Eastern Long Island, back to New Jersey, back to me on Long Island and finally, to Naples Florida. Don't lose it.
    I like turtles

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Had similar issues after the holidays, the USPS tracking was out of wack for a while and took a couple of weeks for the item to arrive.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A friend just lost track of a bike through FedEx, the system has just "stopped" for several days and now it's past the original projected delivery.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Typically if there is what UPS refers to as "NSS", no such street, it will not be loaded onto the truck and either the shipper or the receiver would be notified to get the actual address or street name. This usually delays the package a day or so if they have contact info. Even if no contact info is visible on the label, UPS can pull up the shipper number for that info.
    EXODUX Jeff

since 4/10/2009
    So Race Face appears to have screwed this one up. They just flat out messed up the shipping label from the beginning. It seems that the source of that screwup comes from however they processed billing from US credit cards and however they print off shipping labels. So my e-mail receipt showed correct addresses for shipping/billing. But the invoice in the box showed 2 different ones, with the correct shipping address but the billing address being for some "Business to Consumer USA" company of some sort. I assume it's related to processing my credit card, but a google search isn't turning up anything to verify that.

The shipping label showed a fubared shipping address where they mashed together the Suite #, Street #, and Street from this "Business to Consumer USA" company with the correct city, state, and zip code for me. "Business to Consumer USA" is ACTUALLY located in Scotts Valley, CA, so I'm very lucky that my package didn't wind up going there.

I've e-mailed Race Face pictures of the shipping label as well as the invoice to show them that they need to fix whatever problem they've got going on with printing shipping labels. The saving grace is that my phone number was printed along with my name on the shipping label, and THAT, at least, didn't get screwed up.

mtbr member
    On the other side of USPS silliness... my new fork was scanned as "sorting complete" at 11:14am this morning at the local hub and "out for delivery" at 11:24am this morning.

But it already delivered yesterday!