mtbr member

Anyone drill their frame for internal cables?

I just got a Norco Torrent and it has internal routing for a dropper on the seat tube but not down the down tube. So it's external from the lever down the bottom of the down tube and then a weird upwards bend to the internal grommet. Looks like ass and really screws up the cable routing for the rear derailleur. I was thinking about drilling into the side of the down tube at the top and either running external to the dropper if my bottom bracket allows or drilling a second hole at the bottom of the down tube so the cable would come out and then back into the seat tube.

So...just wondering who's done any drilling on their frame to run cables and if you have...any tips/advise? Not worried about warranty...it was a used frame...but I certainly don't want to damage it either.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    [...]but I certainly don't want to damage it either.
    Then you shouldn't drill it. There are precisely zero low-stress areas between the headtube and seattube, and on bikes where there is a hole in the frame, it is reinforced. There is no practical reason to do what you want, other than keeping things tidy...which is over-rated, imo.

Not helpful.
    Yeah...no.
    What's wrong with him??

mtbr member
    I asked a manufacturer about this a while back and they said it would be a bad idea unless you have a skilled metalworker reinforce the hole. there is probably a good reason why they only put a hole in the seat tube and not anywhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    There is no practical reason to do what you want, other than keeping things tidy...which is over-rated, imo.
    Honestly...it's a pretty shit routing for all the cables on this bike. I have to cross cable over cable to get things where they need to go. Whoever designed the routing on the 2017 Torrent was smoking meth when they did it.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    there is probably a good reason why they only put a hole in the seat tube and not anywhere else.
    Yeah...because they were cheap and lazy.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Yeah...because they were cheap and lazy.
    Did you ask a framebuilder? I would not be so quick to assume. I have routed internal cables through the downtube before and it's a huge PITA. Internal routing in general sucks and the only place it makes sense is for a dropper. If it was my bike, I'd rather the dropper cable go through the seat tube.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Bad idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    It would totally void any frame warranty you got with your new bike.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    My bike has holes in the headtube, which is crazy. Commencal also realized this and moved the holes to the top/sides of the down-tube. I asked them if it was ok for me to make holes in the same place on my bike to get the cables out of the head-tube.

The guy said the the exact position, size and shape of the holes had been very carefully calculated and it was unlikely I'd get any holes I made exactly right. Basically, unless you are able to work out how the holes will effect the strength of the tube you're taking a big risk. Is it worth risking your frame breaking just to get tidier cables?

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Bad idea.
    You could probably get that frame hemmed.
    What's wrong with him??

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I just got a Norco Torrent and it has internal routing for a dropper on the seat tube but not down the down tube. So it's external from the lever down the bottom of the down tube and then a weird upwards bend to the internal grommet. Looks like ass and really screws up the cable routing for the rear derailleur. I was thinking about drilling into the side of the down tube at the top and either running external to the dropper if my bottom bracket allows or drilling a second hole at the bottom of the down tube so the cable would come out and then back into the seat tube.

So...just wondering who's done any drilling on their frame to run cables and if you have...any tips/advise? Not worried about warranty...it was a used frame...but I certainly don't want to damage it either.
    Go right ahead. Frame integrity is highly overrated, as are your original front teeth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    You could probably get that frame hemmed.
    And make it a 26” wheel version.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by burtronix View Post
    Go right ahead. Frame integrity is highly overrated, as are your original front teeth.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I agree. And my wife works for a dentist so I get all the free dental work I want.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Not helpful.
    Drill, baby, drill!
    What's wrong with him??

Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    It would totally void any frame warranty you got with your new bike.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Even if I knew for a fact that it wouldn’t effect the structural integrity of the frame, this ^ alone would prevent me from doing it.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-05-2018 at 07:49 AM.

mtbr member
    It's a used frame so I'm not concerned about warranty issues.

Only about destroying my frame which from the sounds of it...if I even continue to think about drilling a tiny hole in my frame it will shatter into a million pieces of flesh tearing, teeth shattering, balls ripping off pieces of soda can thin shards of aluminum.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    I wouldn't be either but the bottom line is this:

Even if you are fairly confident that the position and size of your holes will not compromise the integrity of the frame, you cannot be one-hundred percent sure. If you drill you will have to live with the knowledge that the frame may crack. Your call.

mtbr member
    the OP was pretty clear that this is a used frame without warranty considerations. PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU COMMENT.

I would not trust it though. the routing through the bottom of the set tube is fine. ton's of bikes are set up like that and the work fine. you can also contact the manufacturer and ask them why they did it that way. there's a good chance that there was a concern over structural integrity and that the seat tube was the safest spot, or they just wanted to cut costs so that they could sell the frame a little cheaper to their customers.

mtbr member
    the OP was pretty clear that this is a used frame without warranty considerations. PLEASE READ THE ORIGINAL POST BEFORE YOU COMMENT.

I would not trust it though. the routing through the bottom of the set tube is fine. ton's of bikes are set up like that and the work fine. you can also contact the manufacturer and ask them why they did it that way. there's a good chance that there was a concern over structural integrity and that the seat tube was the safest spot, or they just wanted to cut costs so that they could sell the frame a little cheaper to their customers.
    Yeah...who knows. It's already a $600 frame new. You'd think at that price they could have added that little extra touch of running at least the dropper full internal rather than having it have to go from under the down tube and wrap around the crank and bottom bracket like it was an after thought.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Only about destroying my frame which from the sounds of it...if I even continue to think about drilling a tiny hole in my frame it will shatter into a million pieces of flesh tearing, teeth shattering, balls ripping off pieces of soda can thin shards of aluminum.
    *gasp* the possibilities are enough to make you switch to something less dangerous, like Curling.

mtbr member
    Yeah...who knows. It's already a $600 frame new. You'd think at that price they could have added that little extra touch of running at least the dropper full internal rather than having it have to go from under the down tube and wrap around the crank and bottom bracket like it was an after thought.
    $600 frame is pretty cheap on today's market. part of the reason that frame was that cheap might be their choice to run the dropper cable that route.

however, lots and lots of bikes that are much more sophisticated and expensive also use that same type of routing. some people prefer it. I have recurring nightmares from my bike shop days of routing cables through frames. (2013 Cervelo P5 with internally routed hydraulic Magura rim brakes under the BB, blue fluid on a matte white frame!) it's a huge PITA and I would personally avoid buying a frame if I had to use internal cable routing on. if you ask me, routing the cable under the DT and into the side of the ST is a superior design choice, not an afterthought.

mtbr member
    *gasp* the possibilities are enough to make you switch to something less dangerous, like Curling.
    You've evidently never seen curling accidents. They can get quite graphic and cause debilitating injuries to those involved.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

You've evidently never seen curling accidents. They can get quite graphic and cause debilitating injuries to those involved.
    For the Love of God. Please don’t post any graphic photos of said accidents.

Not helpful.

Now you're getting it.
    What's wrong with him??

Stone Jack Baller

mtbr member
    For the Love of God. Please don’t post any graphic photos of said accidents.
    I'll spare you the potential PTSD.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Barely in control
    I dremel out holes in some cheap carbon frames for the Shimano side swing front derailleur. These frames are made in China so I figure they weren't engineered in the first place. I have broken one and was satisfied to see it was no where near my holes. I suppose I could model up a tube in Ansys if I really cared to see what was going on, but I don't.

So, anyway, go for it sport.

Nutrailer
    Jeez - you guys

Anyone drill their frame for internal cables?-frame.jpg
    What a perfect waste of time

mtbr member

Anyone drill their frame for internal cables?

Quote Originally Posted by JackWare View Post
    Jeez - you guys

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frame.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1207344
    It's called Drillium. I like when Eddy Merckx drilled out components on his bike. Look at that handlebar.

the half breed devil

i shuddered just reading the subject line...