Anyone carry pepper spray/bear spray in the wilderness- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Anyone carry pepper spray/bear spray in the wilderness

Was wondering if any of you carry pepper spray while riding in the wilderness? I'm in bear/mtn lion country and tend to ride solo more often then I use to. Was thinking about getting some, but was currious how those of you who do carry this stuff attach it to your bike or camelback?

I suppose using the stuff may be just as good as spitting at the lion or bear, but figured it is more then I have now. Had a friend who use to holster a 9mm on his side for this reason, but seems a little overkill to me. With my luck I would take a digger and end up shooting myself in the leg or something.

I see some bike mounts for the bear spray that uses the water bottle cage holes, but currious what some of you use for your set up or how you carry the spray?

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I'm in mountain lion country also, and I keep these two things in mind: mountain lions are generally nocturnal, and I ride during the day. I also stay on well-established trails. Around here, that means that I'm seeing at least somebody every few minutes, and I'm not usually out of yelling range if I do get in trouble; mountain lions are also less likely to hang out by a trail where noisy humans are constantly going by. Plenty of other tastier deer in the mountains. That doesn't mean I don't take necessary precautions, though.

My first line of defense, particularly on descents, is my singing. On ascents, it's more cussing, but generally still plenty audible, especially when there's nobody around. If a mountain lion decides to attack me even after hearing my singing, well, it's probably deaf, and yelling at it to scare it away wouldn't work in the first place.

My second line of defense? My BO. I tend to ride in the mornings, so that means I haven't showered in quite a while by the time I hop on the bike. Also, I don't generally use deodorant. I got bad skin.

If a mountain lion still wants to eat me after that, I'll usually challenge it to a race down the mountain. Except that I leave out the part where it's in the race too, and I win. Kinda like that one time I raced some lady off the line at a stoplight. I didn't tell her it was a race, but that doesn't mean I wasn't trying to get in front.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was planning on getting two, one for myself and one for the spouse, to protect ourselves and our nieces/nephews in case we run into some lunatic wherever we may be biking.

canuck
    I have a mini bottle of pepper spray. I figured they might like me seasoned better.

its just to humor me into thinking that if there was a big scary monster, I'm safe.

funny how I never take it backpacking camping in the woods...

mtbr member
    There is no need to. You will never have time to use 'em.

Besides, why risk the potential to accidentally spray yourself sometime.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You are essentially describing a "black swan" event...one that has a very low probability of happening but a but a very high severity if it does. Everyone will deal with this in a different manner. The sub-prime crisis is a classic example of this phenomenon. Nobody thought housing prices would ever fall so they took no protection against such an event...and when it did actually happen a lot of people got destroyed...and the damage still lingers years later.

Fire insurance is yet another example...the odds of your home burning down are quite low...but the financial burden if it does is unbearable for most people...so they are willing to pay some money each month in the form of premiuns to protect against such an outcome.

Same with the bear attack...the odds are quite low...but if it happens you could suffer greatly.

There is no right answer to your question. If you dont think it will ever happen then ride on and have no worries. If on the other hand you want protection against the black swan outcome then do your research on the most effective deterent and keep it with you...and ride on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I carry a knife on my side. I figure if a moutain lion comes along, then I won't be able to pull bear spray from the bike or backpack.

As for the bears, I have come across a few and they just look at me. I end up backing away until I can safely turn around and head back down the trail.

If you are going to get attacked, I am not really sure if you'd have enough time to pull out spray. That is why I choose to carry my knife, so maybe I have something I can use to hit the animal in the face as I am being eaten. For what it is worth, I doubt I'd even be able to flip the blade. I think I'd use it as a blunt object.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I guess I posted this thread asking how those that do carry pepper spray attach it to their bike or camelback?

I understand some do and some don't carry, and there would be questions about how effective it really is, but really more currious how some of you carry it? Do you use bear or more of the personal defense size? Again, I'm not worried about other people just the bears and lions, and simply wanted to add one more option to my arsenal.

Often have the chance to ride during the week, and often I'm the lone dude in the middle of the colorado mtns

I agree that the chances are highly unlikely, actually probably more likely to win the lotto.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Is it legal to spray someone that is stealing your bike?

ex...You see someone trying to steal your bike. You walk up casually and BAM!!! catch him by surprise and he goes down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Based on your last post id say carry it on you...not on the bike. Most bear attack stories you hear about have this phrase in them "it came out of nowhere and was on me before i knew it"

If a bear attacks you id guess there are very good odds you will be knocked ass-over-tea kettle and if the bear spray is attached to your bike it wont be available to you. Given your circumstances id find a way to clip the spray to my pack on one of the shoulder straps so it would be very easy to reach.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My hydration pack has a small mesh pocket with elasticized opening on both sides and I carry this in one of them. When I am road-biking I carry it in a pocket on the back of my jersey.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster

canuck
    I have it clipped to my pack belt

its super easy to grab and use

I've fallen plenty of times with it and no bad outcomes.

I find myself more apt to use it on stray dogs and people though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I carry it in my back pocket. Not so much for the Mountain Lions, but more to protect myself. I am often alone on the trail and I sometimes see some shady characters smoking weed. I will not shy to spray if I find myself or my bike in danger.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by nocturnal12 View Post
    I carry it in my back pocket. Not so much for the Mountain Lions, but more to protect myself. I am often alone on the trail and I sometimes see some shady characters smoking weed. I will not shy to spray if I find myself or my bike in danger.
    smoking weed? you don't need to worry about the potheads! it's the tweakers i'd worry about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    smoking weed? you don't need to worry about the potheads! it's the tweakers i'd worry about.
    right...lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NyinCali View Post
    right...lol
    Lol, yes. Especially those and wannabe gangster teens hanging around the trails,

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanet74 View Post
    Anyone carry pepper spray/bear spray in the wilderness
    Yes

Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.