Anyone also dables on bmx?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Anyone also dables on bmx?

Any mtb-ers here also dable on bmx? My youngest son is in into bmx and he asked me to get one so I go to the skate park with him. Any tips on transitioning from mtb to bmx? To say that I'm not looking forward to repeated crashes is an understatement. I tried to do a manual on the bmx and looped out immediately, landed on my butt and bruises my elbows. Good start.

mtbr member
    I rode bmx for many years into adulthood and sold my last bmx bike just a few years ago. I started out riding street and flatland and later got into just street and occasional skateparks.

what bike are you riding at the skatepark?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My son rides a FIT and I just got myself a used old but in excellent condition Total bmx kaya so I haven’t ridden at skatepark yet. Still need to learn how to ride it first. Love the bike though it felt just right.

Ariolimax columbianus
    I grew up w/a buncha bmx bruhs in da 80's that still race today. I don't ride BMX but we met a 12 year old ripper a few weeks ago at the China Peak CES race that absolutely kills it on MTB's too. I think he's like 2nd or 3rd nationally in his BMX age group. Check out his instafeed.......https://www.instagram.com/max_rides_bikes/

mtbr member
    You'll probably find you'd be much more comfortable an a 26" DJ/pump track bike then even a 24" bmx.

With all the good choices for 26 bikes, there's no way I'd try to get reacquainted with a 20 regardless of how long the tt/stays were.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I ride some. Not as much as I want yet but once my nice big garage gets built. A small half pipe is going in.

Suggestions. Pads, stretch a lot and learn how to fall.

IMO it isn't that hard to go back and forth between BMX to MTB and from what I little have rode on 26in DJs I don't think they would be as fun on the street or at a lot of skateparks.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), 91 Schwinn High Plain (about town bike), Nashbar CXSS (on trainer)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    You'll probably find you'll be much more comfortable an a 26" DJ/pump track bike then a 20" or even 24" bmx.

With all the good choices for 26 bikes, there's no way I'd try to get reacquainted with a 20 regardless of how long the tt/stays were.
    I am sure you have a good point but my young son wants his Dad to ride a bmx also so here I am. I am getting old so I don’t have much bmx aspirations, just want to have fun with the boy and maybe learn a few skills.

mtbr member
    I have been out of the loop but the Kaya I looked up looks nice. BMX riders tend to like their chainstays as SHORT as possible, which is going to feel awkward and scary at first. if your's is shoved all the way forward, it's going to make the bike very easy to loop-out and fall on your butt. if you can put a slightly longer chain on it and move the axle back, that will make it less stetchy.

got a photo of the bike? the handlebar uprights should be somewhere between parallel to the fork and perpendicular to the ground.
    shove the seat down low—it's not their for pedaling efficiency!

I wore shin guard for years and years when I started riding, but eventually you gain a sixth sense for flailing your shins out of harm's way when you slip a pedal.

non-padded gloves are a good idea so you get less severe blisters and callouses on your palms. pad up as mush as you need to.

mtbr member
    I went backwards from MTB to 20" and learned to DJ and ride a bit of park at the age of 30. No doubt that with a suitable cruiser or 26 I would have avoided some hard crashes and progressed much faster.

If your bike will accommodate, push your rear wheel back in the dropout (add chain).

You're taking the harder road... hopefully it'll be less painful for you then I suspect.

EDIT: Yea, what Turtle said...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    Any mtb-ers here also dable on bmx? My youngest son is in into bmx and he asked me to get one so I go to the skate park with him. Any tips on transitioning from mtb to bmx? To say that I'm not looking forward to repeated crashes is an understatement. I tried to do a manual on the bmx and looped out immediately, landed on my butt and bruises my elbows. Good start.
    I second what some others have said about maybe getting a DJ instead of a BMX. It's more versatile, and it doesn't feel nearly as weird to move from MTB to it, in my experience.

My son rides both, and even he struggles moving over to his BMX when he's been on his MTB for a while and vice versa. For an old guy, it's even harder (you might not be as old as me).

That being said: if you're committed to the BMX (and it sounds like your kid is insistent on it being an BMX not a DJ), then good luck! You'll definitely have a blast. Just be careful and take it slow to start out.

mtbr member
    I've ridden 26 DJs for 15 years and now a 24" DJ that's more BMXy. But I could never get into the short top tubes and high BBs of typical BMX geo

If you are set on BMX, I would get a 24" or even a 22" wheel one which is a new niche wheel size in BMX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am happy to report that after several sessions, I got used to the bike and it has been a blast. Overall, the bmx is very responsive which makes learning skills quite a bit easier compared to mtb but mistakes aren't as forgiving. Without suspension fork, flat landing is quite jarring. Skate parks are fun but surprisingly there are quite a number of jerks there. The number is small compared the rest but more than I anticipated. I'm learning 180, fakie, hip jump (quite easy on bmx) and air out. When the trails are too wet to ride, bmx is a great alternative. On a different note, I taught my young son, the one who wants me to get into bmx with him, how to bunny hop and on the second day the little boy cleared 3 stacked 2x4. It's good to be young. He is so happy.

jcd's best friend
    I dabbled in BMX at age 40. I never had the chance to do it back in the 80s because my family couldn't afford to buy me a BMX bike. I had skateboards instead. I rode around on a 20" BMX but never tried any tricks. I ended up buying a 24" cruiser instead which was a lot of fun. I wasn't too confident to try tricks on any BMX bike so I ended up shelving that idea. I gave my youngest daughter my 20" bike sold the 24" bike. I prefer to learn some tricks on a hardtail instead.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm 52 and relatively new to mtb riding an all mountain hardtail. So far I found the few skills learn on bmx are easily translated to mtb but not as fast the other way around.

Pro Crastinator
    of all my bikes, my bmx bikes easily get ridden the most

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm a very late adopter, also sucked into it by my son, and after trying all sorts of DJ and big-wheeled BMX bikes, I've concluded that 20" is the best and funnest tool for the job when it comes to park or pumptrack riding, or just plain messing around the yard or driveway.

For me, one thing that made it work was buying a long TT bike, and throwing a set of big honking handlebars on it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I spent my whole childhood riding street and park. Tried to get back into again a couple years ago at the age of 32 and just didn't enjoy it at all. Falling down hurts when you're older, and being that I am basically a grumpy 70 year old guy stuck in a mid-30 year olds body, sitting around listening to kids chatter about dumb shit at the skatepark just didn't work for me. I could definitely see how it would be fun to get back into if you had a kiddo that was into it though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Man, you are indeed grumpy. Why are you sitting at skatepark? It’s more fun riding instead. I rather listen to kids chattering about dumb shits than adults chattering about dumb shits.

Slaphead- By luck I bought a used bmx with a long tt, not knowing that it’s long for my height according to the bmx riders, and it works out perfectly. When I test ride the bike, it felt very comfortable so I bought it.

mtbr member
    Rode street and dirt up until I was about 30, I'm almost 40 now. I still have my GT Bump, it needs some TLC, but I still have it. Everything I can do on MTB was because of my background in BMX.

I did get on it a few weeks ago and try to bunny hop to manual...I'm trying to remember why I cut my bars so narrow 15 years ago.

Snow Dog
    I started on BMX in the 70's. Rode culverts and rough skateparks and street in the 80's. Got a MTB in college, and pretty much rode it like a big BMX. 5 years ago, I got my Krampus...the big BMX!!

Like the OP, 7 years ago, my step son wanted to get into BMX, and I was totally willing to oblige. I had been getting him out on the dirt trails first, and then videos on the Tube got him going to the park.

BEST MIDLIFE CRISIS EVER!!!!

I was surprised to see how many old fogies were also at the park with their kids. I need to get a modern BMX bike as right now I am still riding my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro...I don't want to break it, and it is definitely too small for me, but it still goes.

I am so glad I learned bike handling skills, and tolerance of pain, on BMX. I just wish I had the upper body strength that I had as a kid...

and, i hit the skateparks early in the morning, when most of the d-bag skaters, and scooter kids are sleeping off their drunk from the day before. Sunday mornings are like wastelands at the park. All to myself. But honestly, there are only a few d bag skaters. The worst thing are the little 3-10 year old scooter kids, who don't realize that other people are there. And their parents are worse. Lots of Karens...

we also have 3 leftover BMX tracks in our area that are a blast to ride...they were slamming in their hey day, but are now pretty rough. I ride my BMX and MTB on those.
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Good for you. My son loves dirt trails but his friends only ride bmx and you know how that goes. He still wants to hit dirt trails once in a while. As fun as all the riding are, the best part is the time spent with the little guy. It won’t be long before I am not invited to hang with him and his buddies anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by str8edgMTBMXer View Post
    I started on BMX in the 70's. Rode culverts and rough skateparks and street in the 80's. Got a MTB in college, and pretty much rode it like a big BMX. 5 years ago, I got my Krampus...the big BMX!!

Like the OP, 7 years ago, my step son wanted to get into BMX, and I was totally willing to oblige. I had been getting him out on the dirt trails first, and then videos on the Tube got him going to the park.

BEST MIDLIFE CRISIS EVER!!!!

I was surprised to see how many old fogies were also at the park with their kids. I need to get a modern BMX bike as right now I am still riding my 1988 Mongoose Californian Pro...I don't want to break it, and it is definitely too small for me, but it still goes.

I am so glad I learned bike handling skills, and tolerance of pain, on BMX. I just wish I had the upper body strength that I had as a kid...

and, i hit the skateparks early in the morning, when most of the d-bag skaters, and scooter kids are sleeping off their drunk from the day before. Sunday mornings are like wastelands at the park. All to myself. But honestly, there are only a few d bag skaters. The worst thing are the little 3-10 year old scooter kids, who don't realize that other people are there. And their parents are worse. Lots of Karens...

we also have 3 leftover BMX tracks in our area that are a blast to ride...they were slamming in their hey day, but are now pretty rough. I ride my BMX and MTB on those.