Life Is Short

anybody into the Tour?

The tour is always fascinating--the leg power is unbelievable

https://www.letour.fr/en/
    Cheap people buy things twice

Bikesexual
    I'm, was thinking of a thread too.

Crazy last 10kms. I'm rooting for the Colombian boys, hoping Rigo does well, Gaviria is giving Sagan a run for his money, and not looking good for Quintana already.

Should be a fun race to follow.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I love the TdF, been watching it since 1985.
    As far as the tour favorites, Quintana, Porte, Froome, etc, losing a little time on the first stage is not really that big of a deal, although Team Sky is hard to beat and with Quintana's 15 second deficit to Froome, it may be a little to overcome, but certainly not impossible. Tomorrows stage 3 team time trial will be the interesting to see if the favorites can make, or stay close to each other.
    Im rooting for Badet.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Love the Tour. But we don't have the channel on satellite to watch. Where's it at to stream? I'm assuming I'll have to pay to watch it. Might be better off upgrading the dish package for the month so I can DVR it and watch when I have time.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

Bikesexual
    Nbcsn gold package, I think its $49.00. This is THE only race on TV (NBCSN) everything else is on line on their gold package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Love the Tour. But we don't have the channel on satellite to watch. Where's it at to stream? I'm assuming I'll have to pay to watch it. Might be better off upgrading the dish package for the month so I can DVR it and watch when I have time.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Bikesexual
    Btw Thanks for not posting today's results, about to watch the replay.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Love the Tour!
    Hate Sky/Froome!

Without Froome, the Tour would be set for some amazing fireworks. There are so many up and comers. I really hate to see that Froome has been 'cleared'. I fear that once the climbing starts, Froome is going to do his 'goofy robot' routine and ride away from everyone. Regardless of how you feel about him, he just makes the racing more boring to watch.

What will be interesting to see is if he can make it to Paris. The fans are going to make him absolutely miserable out on the roads. I am curious if it will become untenable for him to continue at some point.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Not his fault he's (Froome) on another level.

On another note...yesterdays result was so awesome. Won't say more than that in case anyone reading hasn't seen or watched...but I do hope that happens at least a couple more times.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Froome has got to be one of the most boring Tour champions. He's great at pacing not racing.

I feel Tour should be more about stage wins than overall pace.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeventures View Post
    Froome has got to be one of the most boring Tour champions. He's great at pacing not racing.

I feel Tour should be more about stage wins than overall pace.
    Exactly!
    If you go back to the Miguel Indurain era... He did nothing but 'keep-up' during the road stages and then he crushed everyone during the Time Trials. That made for a super-boring Tour.

"Not his fault he's (Froome) on another level."
    Two thoughts on that comment...
    1) I don't care if it's anyone's fault, it's just more boring.
    2) It IS his fault because he is very likely cheating. The last 25 years has consistently taught us that when someone stands out above all others... that person is cheating. Add to that the fact that Team Sky has been under investigation for shady dealings by the UK Parliament for a couple of years now. Add to that the fact that Froome has tested positive for twice the allowable limit of salbuterol in his system. You could say that he has been cleared, but cleared by who? That's right, the UCI. The UCI is in the business of making money from pro cycling. That puts them in the 'sweep things like this under the rug' camp bacause it's bad for business. The UCI also has a long history of being caught on the wrong side of the doping issue.

There are sooo many other variables to all of this.
    Cycling is an epic and beautiful sport. Unfortunately, it also remains a very corrupt sport. I prefer a version of the sport that highlights straight-up bar to bar racing. I see how awesome this year's Tour could be, without Froome and Sky and all that baggage that the sport needs to reject.

Bikesexual
    Froome rode the Giro, we will see if what happened to Quintana last year, will happen to Froome this year... I can't stand him either.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    2) It IS his fault because he is very likely cheating.
    haha...as is probably at least the top 10%+ of the peloton. The whole "he's cheating....he's doping" argument is played. They all are doing it still. That's life and reality of a pro road cyclist. He's just better than everyone else so even if 100% of the tour was 100% clean...he'd still be on top.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    haha...as is probably at least the top 10%+ of the peloton.
    Agreed.

I thought that this year's Giro was a great illustration into 'doping' vs 'clean' racing.
    Of course, I have no clue what is going on behind the scenes... but here's what I 'think' we might have seen play out...

Simon Yates was potentially a perfect illustration of clean racing. Strong performances, but difficulty in recovering and repeating day in and day out. Remember, perhaps the biggest advantage in doping is recovery. A grand tour wears you down, performance naturally degrades with each passing day. Yates, perhaps pushed it too far, beyond what his body could naturally recover from.

Chris Froome, on the other hand, was a perfect illustration of doping. Poor performance at the outset of the race... and when he should have been getting more fatigued with each passing day, he somehow miraculously exploded with phenomenal form and ultimately one of the single greatest rides in Grand Tour history. The only historical ride you could compare that to would be that of Floyd Landis in stage 17 of the 2006 Tour... and we now know where that landed him.

Any way... loving the head's up racing in the Tour so far. So cool to see some time splits in flat stages. Stir that pot!

mtbr member
    Right...I think that the one day classics you can have incredible performances from 100% clean riders because there's no recovery involved. They can ride all out for 4 hours and not worry about the next day. No so with the grand tours. If you ride clean you can't ride balls out all day everyday. And because of that...you either fall off and no chance of winning or you dope to keep up. That's the sad reality.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nubster - you make a great point... and where is Chris Froome during the single-day 'Classics'?? No where to be found! Froome would love for us to put him on a high shelf with the other cycling legends... but there is that giant hole in his palmares.
    If you want to be a legend, you need to prove yourself at a race like Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, etc. All of the previous 'Legends' have done this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I've used Eurosport to watch the tour the last number of years. You need to use a VPN connection to a UK server, I use PureVPN (https://goo.gl/8V0UNm) for that. They have pretty nice coverage of the tour, live and replay. On the live coverage, there's a regular and commercial free stream as well as feeds from around 4 of the camera bikes that you can tune into.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Crawler View Post
    ...as well as feeds from around 4 of the camera bikes that you can tune into.
    How cool is that!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Nubster - you make a great point... and where is Chris Froome during the single-day 'Classics'?? No where to be found! Froome would love for us to put him on a high shelf with the other cycling legends... but there is that giant hole in his palmares.
    If you want to be a legend, you need to prove yourself at a race like Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders, etc. All of the previous 'Legends' have done this.
    Exactly. I mean I like Froome in the tours. But I agree...he'll be one of the greats but not a legend IMO.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I didn't watch much of the TTT coverage, but love the shake-up in GC. So cool to see one of the real tough-men of the sport in yellow... VanA is a bad-ass!... and VanG is right up there too!

Bikesexual
    I guess Gaviria is for real! Looking good, too bad he had that crash on stage 2, but he was too far back.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I watch Le Tour also. I think you nailed it, Bikeventures; Froome is good at pacing, not racing. Excellent point.
    I get a kick out of listening to Sagan interviews. You never know what he's going to say!
    This Gaviria Kid is sure shaking things up! Fun stuff.
    And I'll confess: I enjoy listening to Phil.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by HotHead View Post
    I watch Le Tour also. I think you nailed it, Bikeventures; Froome is good at pacing, not racing. Excellent point.
    I get a kick out of listening to Sagan interviews. You never know what he's going to say!
    This Gaviria Kid is sure shaking things up! Fun stuff.
    And I'll confess: I enjoy listening to Phil.
    The "Ask Sagan" segment happens every day on the British coverage which can be streamed free if you google up "tiz cycling". He's hilarious. One day he gave one word yes/no answers to two questions, then question 3 was "Do you have any daily pre stage rituals?" He said "I take a dump". Segment over!
    I have been watching nearly every stage so far and am psyched for the Paris Roubaix stage tomorrow. They'll start streaming usually 7am or so eastern time and the finish is 5 hours or thereabouts later. I'll be watching for sure.
    So far has been a pretty standard first week, lots of great sprints. Sagan, Gaviria, and Groenewegan(spelled wrong im sure) all have been impressive. The sprint that went on forever and ended with Sagan passing Colbrelli as he gassed out short of the line was my favorite. It was incredible how far out they went and Sagan powered right through til the end.
    Tomorrow should be epic!

Bikesexual
    ^^Yep! I have to record it but should be brutal! 21.7kms of bouncing around rocks...

Feel bad for Dan Martin, that guy is tough!

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Crash already before they even hit the cobbles. Richie Porte looks to be out with a broken collar bone not even 20k in.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Baird View Post
    Crash already before they even hit the cobbles. Richie Porte looks to be out with a broken collar bone not even 20k in.
    Noooo lol I'm recording it..note to self..do not access this thread!

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    One of the most incredible action packed tour stages ever today ill leave it at that until everyone has a chance to watch.
    Watch it if you're on the fence!