any short men riding an XS loco-moto?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

any short men riding an XS loco-moto?

any tips would be greatly appreciated....

i'm a short guy (5'5) looking for a FS bike with at least 4 inches of front and rear travel. my inseam is 27-28cm and i'm having trouble locating bikes that will fit. Right now i'm riding a 14 in HT rainier with just enough standover room to make it relatively safe. i've ridden a 15 in kona dawg for a week and didn't have enough space at the crotch and had some rather uncomfortable falls. i've pretty much given up on finding an XS that i can test ride before buying, and i'm even having trouble finding any smalls that i can at least sit on. i realize standover isn't the only issue, but the other fitting factors such as stem length and the seat post are more adjustable

at this point i'm basically resigned to buying a bike without trying it out first (i'm willing to spend ~$2000). my list has come down to a XS loco-moto, XS jamis xlt 2.0, kona kikapu, or small stumpjumper FSR.

Even though i'm considering the XS loco or XS jamis, i still think the XS small frames for both of these bikes look kind of strange. I'm wondering if the extreme bending of the top tube and the horizontal angle that the rear shock lies affects the ride...??? do these small frames perform as well as their larger counterparts? does anyone have any experience with this?

to all you short guys out there...what experience or advice to can you give me...

thanks in advance...pumba

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by pumba

i'm a short guy (5'5) looking for a FS bike with at least 4 inches of front and rear travel. my inseam is 27-28cm and i'm having trouble locating bikes that will fit. Right now i'm riding a 14 in HT rainier with just enough standover room to make it relatively safe. i've ridden a 15 in kona dawg for a week and didn't have enough space at the crotch and had some rather uncomfortable falls. i've pretty much given up on finding an XS that i can test ride before buying, and i'm even having trouble finding any smalls that i can at least sit on. i realize standover isn't the only issue, but the other fitting factors such as stem length and the seat post are more adjustable

at this point i'm basically resigned to buying a bike without trying it out first (i'm willing to spend ~$2000). my list has come down to a XS loco-moto, XS jamis xlt 2.0, kona kikapu, or small stumpjumper FSR.

Even though i'm considering the XS loco or XS jamis, i still think the XS small frames for both of these bikes look kind of strange. I'm wondering if the extreme bending of the top tube and the horizontal angle that the rear shock lies affects the ride...??? do these small frames perform as well as their larger counterparts? does anyone have any experience with this?

to all you short guys out there...what experience or advice to can you give me...

You must really be short with an inseam of just over a foot! ;-)

Anyway....

Well My wife rides a XS (or WS) Loco moto and I test ride it all the time since I'm her wrench.

I would think that you being 5'5", a XS is too small and a small would do you. XS seems really small to me for a 27" inseam.

But as far as performance. Super small bikes are going to perform differently than larger ones simply because the wheel sizes don't change in proportion and the wheel base shortens. The headtube can be made only so small so sometimes the rise on the bar is too much when using a long fork...you may want a negative rise stem or a flat bar.

As far as the bending the tubes, it's all good. Smaller rides should weight less and the frame being smaller, it should be stronger. The swingarm is the same and the only issue is on my wifes' loco was routing the rear diff cable. It's a tight fit on the WZ and wants to rub the shock.

Jan 2004
    Check out the Specialized Stmpjumpers, they have sizes to fit you just right. A waaayyyy better buy for The $$$$$.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    im not a guy but i am 5'3" and ride a 2003 jamis dakar xc comp, 13" frame. it has 90mm rear travel and a 100mm fork. i think the xlt's would have a higher standover since its travel is 5" both ends. my xc comp standover is not much for me, and i have a 29" inseam. i have to run a low stem and a flat bar to get the right position on the bike. good luck in finding the right bike for you. i found mine.

Rita

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Ok, I'm about 5-5 with a similar inseam........

I ride a small Locomoto and have about 1" standover clearance. I did not go with the xs small loco because the tt was too short for my liking. I just went down and measured actuall tt height where you would be standing if straddling the tt. It is 28 +/-" as close as I can measure. Evern with the lack of excess standover clearance I have not had any issues. I feel tt length is more important for me as long as I have "some room". Oh, I am running a 105mm Marzocchi marathon fork.
    Good luck,
    Dave

Still chuggin' along
    I feel for you. I was in the same boat last year when I was looking for a frame. I'm 5'4" with a 29" inseam so standover wasn't too hard to come by but TT lengths were hard to fit.

I agree with Lidarman that the XS would probably be too small for you. TT lengths under 21.5" feel too small for me and i would suspect that if you're a typcially proportioned guy, that would be way too small. I finally ended up with an XS (15") Turner XCE and it fits great.

I wasn't able to do any test riding either but had to rely on geometry charts/numbers in comparison to what I had and I came out fine.

Another option would be a Ventana X-5. That has plenty of standover. One of the board members (Mtpisgah I believe) is 5'5" or 5'4" and has an early prototype of the X-5.

So, don't give up hope There aren't as many options out there but you will find something.

mtbr member
    I'm the same height and in the same boat...looking for a Full Suspension that will fit! It seems like certain brands run smaller (as far as standover height)...the Stumpjumper comes to mind. I would agree with the others, the XS is probably too small.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'4" with a 30" inseam and the XS Loco w/a 120mm stem was a perfect fit for me. I rode this bike for about a year and a half before getting an XS Quasi-moto. You can't go wrong with the Loco. It's really an amazing bike. If you are really concerned about sizing check with Charles @ Hammerhead bikes. He can help you pick out the right sizing.

I've never ridden the Specialized or the Jamis so I can't comment on those bikes.

Jan 2004

The XS Loco doesn't have a bent top tube...

anymore. They stopped making it on the loco in 2002 and the xs size never had one. If you have a 27" inseam the xs/sm will work for you as the standover is either the same or close enough not to matter(I'm to lazy to check their website). I'd say go with the small sized loco and you'll be very happy(all else being equal).

Feb 2004

A short guy too

I had the same problem as you are now experiencing 18 months ago when I wanted to go with a Full Suspension bike. (*I'm 5'4", 29" inseam)

Every manufacturer made a small that either gave me too little standover or I was too stretched out over the top tube and had to run a ridiculously short stem thus ruining the balance of the bike. I originally looked at the Loco Moto but after riding a few of the higher end 4-bar systems decided a single pivot bike wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong the Loco is a fine frame by an excellent builder but I liked the idea of the Horst link style suspension so that's the direction I headed. (*I decided this after riding a small Truth)

I liked the small Specialized bikes but didn't want an E-type derailleur. I also liked the Titus Racer-X but being specifically a race design meant it wasn't nearly as plush as other 4-bars. I also had quite an investment in wheels and brakes I wanted to move to the new frame, (* I had purchased Mavic 519/Chris King Classics with Avid Ultimate Brakes and levers) Which lead me to a conversation with Chris @ Speedgoat. His recommendation was have Titus build an Extra Small Quasi Moto with a Switchblade rear triangle to accommodate V-brakes. We talked about this via email and on the phone for a couple of weeks. I also called Titus direct and spoke with Stephanie, Chris and Allen with more questions than any salesperson/builder should have to answer. They answered everyone of them.

Top tube length would be just shy of 21 inches. Reported standover would be 27.5 inches,(it is actually a little taller than that on the delivered bike, I believe this was measured with an 80mm shock). Weight would be under 6lbs, (a little heavier than the competition but remember I was looking for the right fit and not a race bike, if I had been wanting a race bike the Racer-X would have been my first choice). I ordered the frame sight-unseen with a Fox Float RL rear shock. It is actually a 2001 front triangle with a 2002 rear. Titus now makes a version of this frame called the Quasi Lite, I believe.

I cannot tell you how amazing this bike has been for me. I orginally installed a Fox Float RLC and last January I purchased and installed a Fox TALAS RLC that has finished this bike off completely. I have the option of 4.5 or 5.9 inches of travel in the rear with 85mm to 125mm in the front, (3-5 inches). I have a Thomson 5 degree, 120mm stem and seatpost with short riser bars. I use Stans Notubes, Speedplay Frogs, Sram XO, RaceFace ISIS Turbines, Continental Vertical Pro's, an XT 12-34 cassette, and a Shimano XTR front Derailleur.

Standover is about 2-3 inches. This is slightly variable due to length I'm running the fork at. Calculate this by standing over the bike with your cycling shoes on and pulling the bike up firmly into your crotch. Weight is reasonable @ 27lbs. The balance, (weight distribution to each wheel), is excellent. With a longer stem you have slightly slower steering and more weight on the front tire to help keep it on the ground when climbing. (*I live in Colorado) Depending on my mood I run the stem either right side up which puts the bar slightly under the seatheight or inverted which puts the bar about 2 inches below seatheight. I have been riding a 50cm steel roadbike this winter for fitness and so I'm getting use to being lower in the frontend while riding so I may stay with the inverted stem this year. The ability to lockout the frontend and the backend is great when you want to do it but I tend to just let the suspension do it's job and not lock it out. My roadbike training this winter has forced me to get use to standing much more than I have in previous years so I may use the lockouts more this year too. I picked up about a half a pound going from the Float to the TALAS but then I lost about that much going with lighter tires and Stan's NoTubes.

Titus makes amazing frames. Give them a call and tell them what you want to try to accomplish, they probably will have several suggestions that you can think about. They also make custom sizes which would have been my choice had I not found the combination that I did.

Hope this helps.

(*sorry for the long post, but there are not that many short guys out there in this sport and I thought that you should know a little of the detail that someone else when through to assist you in your quest)

**One more thing.
    Manufacturers and frame builders are negatively marketing some frames as Women Specific Only designs for their Extra Small sizes and naming them as such. I have nothing against this approach, per se, but I would have been more likely to try other Extra Small frames if they had been non-gender specific. A trivial point I'm sure but one worth bringing up. No guy would want to ride a bike named Julian, Alice, Betty, or whatever, even if it was the ONLY frame on the market that fit him. I think WSD and such may sound good in the marketing arena but you don't really see many of them on the trails and NONE of them have short males riding them. Of this I offer up to the frame builders that I spent about $2k on my frame which is not ChumpChange and I didn't try some of your options for the above reason.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Small Loco

undefined
    I'm 5'4" with a 28-29 inch inseam and I had the same predicament. I tried an XS Loco and it felt tiny. To be honest I always thought it looked kinda goofy too. I've just bought a small Loco with a 90 cm stem and it's perfect. The clearance isn't a problem , it's probably got more "real" clearance than my XS racer X. I was concerned about the top tube being so much longer than my Racer X ,(21.2 vs 22.6) but it doesn't really feel that different. The bike feels great BTW , I'd definitely recommend it.