Anti Lowball Ad Examples- Mtbr.com
    npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Anti Lowball Ad Examples

Maybe it's been discussed here... I tried searching but nothing.

I'm trying to sell my Trek asking $500 which I think it's about what others are selling similar bikes too, and I get offers like "50" or "100" just one liner like that and it drives me crazy.

I've put "Price is Firm" on the ad but it doesn't stop many people from doing the above.

SO I was thinking of putting something like "Low Ballers Welcome" and maybe that would actually stop them

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    When I was selling my transition scout I just did nott respond to the low-ball offers, luckily I sold it in two days so I didn't have to deal with very many.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Either ignore them or respond to them with a higher price.

Up In Smoke
    link to the add?

Elitest thrill junkie
    I'll give you $75 cash.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No known cure
    My favorite is when they ask, "What's the lowest you'll take?" Like I'm going to lowball myself.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Its best just to ignore the lowball offers. Also, its going to be hard to sell something without some wiggle room on the price. Everyone wants to feel like they are getting a deal. So if you want $500, price it at $600 and let people haggle. Things like "price is firm" or "no lowballers" just make people think you are a jerk and you will get fewer inquiries.
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Things like "price is firm" or "no lowballers" just make people think you are a jerk and you will get fewer inquiries.
    I can totally see this

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I've seen so far:

one liner like "100"
    "what would you take right now"
    "I only have $100"
    "I've researched and it's supposed to be $xxx"
    "Blue Book says $xxx"

it's really the one liners that drive me crazy, like "100", no $, no question mark...

poser Administrator
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    My favorite is when they ask, "What's the lowest you'll take?" Like I'm going to lowball myself.
    I deal with this for anything. I got to the point I have told them higher than I listed something for. Then you get the ones that get pissy when you give a smart ass response. Never understood why people are so stupid but that's Humanity for you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I had someone told me "you'll never sell it for that price, the most you'll get is $xxx"

always licking the glass
    My favorite is people who tell me they have no money and they tell me they’re going to put X on a brand new full carbon enduro bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I sold a bike for $900 for which I had paid around $2000. I got some people asking me if, "I would take $150?"

That's just how it is. I'd rather have just kept the bike for that. But those are not serious offers so I just ignored them. Some people think spending more than a couple of hundred bucks on a bike is outrageous.

mtbr member
    I love the guys that ask, "will you take (50% of your asking price)? It's cash!" Like cash is some magical transaction magic. It's cash or paypal, bub, so that doesn't make your offer any more enticing.

And +1 to the jerks who ask, "what's your best price?" Do they not know how OBO works?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

Up In Smoke
    In CA they'll offer pounds($$$) of marijuana for trade.

mtbr member
    Oh man, that grinds my gears eh! Especially when selling something like a car, even if the price is stated as "$xxxx ONO" surely you should at least look at the vehicle or something before haggling on the price. And since when was just flat out asking what the lowest price is considered negotiating?! I usually respond with something like "What's your highest price?" and 99 times out of 100 I'll never hear from them again.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I deal with this for anything. I got to the point I have told them higher than I listed something for. Then you get the ones that get pissy when you give a smart ass response. Never understood why people are so stupid but that's Humanity for you.
    That's what I do. I price things with some room to negotiate in mind. But I'm not going to sell for 25% of what I'm asking. Ever. You start giving me disrespectful offers, I'm going to raise the price for YOU and you alone. Want to get pissy in your response to that? Price goes up again.

Crap like this is why I don't advertise stuff I'm selling in places that will attract the peanut gallery...like craigslist or Facebook. I don't sell on ebay anymore, either, because of all the people who win an auction or "buy it now" to end the listing, but then never pay for the item, forcing me to relist.

Practice Gratitude

Idea! Add Phone Number to your ad.

Hi,

A tactic I've used successfully to weed out "spammers" and "low-ballers" is to state in the sales ad that their inquiry must have their phone number and that I would call them back when convenient for them. Seems to cut down on the riff raff quite a bit. At least it does on CL. I haven't sold a bicycle on anything but CL so far so YMMV.

Best regards,
    Jason
    “It never gets easier, you just get faster.” ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    CL used to be partly decent for selling stuff like 10 years but forget about it now. People looking to spend no more than $20 on anything. The only places that are worse are those apps like 5miles and offerup.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    That kind of stuff really pisses me off, but to be honest I've had a lot of luck selling to the people who low-ball. If I'm selling something for $100 and I know I want $80 for it, I'll just reply to the low-ball offers with "lowest I'll go is $80". You'd be surprised how many times they come back and at least take a look at it.

On the other hand I've often thought that in these covid-19 times I could write a script to offer people 60% cash on their Craigslist car ad, then fix and resell for a good income. If even 2% accepted that would be a pretty good ROI. Of course, then I'd have to live with myself.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ungod View Post
    On the other hand I've often thought that in these covid-19 times I could write a script to offer people 60% cash on their Craigslist car ad, then fix and resell for a good income. If even 2% accepted that would be a pretty good ROI. Of course, then I'd have to live with myself.
    So, let's say you send out 100k ads, and you get 2k takers. You now own 2k cars. Gotta go pick them up. Update the titles. Store them until you sell them. A lot of them prolly need to be cleaned up. And if you're making an automated buy of a 10k car for 6k, chances are the cars were worth nowhere near 10k.

Now if you apply that logic to bicycles right now, it may just work.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think it’s a fair question. Often when I sell something, I’ll post for slightly more than I want to get knowing that I’ll need to come down, but have a price in mind that I expect to sell for. And below that price, no deal.

mtbr member
    Just to offer a counter point, if you are actually being fair, honest and correct with your pricing, I think it is fine to price something at what it should sell for and not negotiate or haggle.

I don't want to haggle when I am buying or selling. I want to research, be informed and educated (regardless of whether I am the buyer or the seller) and get to the freaking point.

That's just me though. I'd rather feel like I am being treated fairly from the get go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've listed stuff for free on a club FB group:HT frame, jogging stroller, wheels, lightly used tires, hub part...etc, and there would be takers, but of all the things I listed, only one person came to pick up his item. Eventually the items not picked up gets thrown out or taken to Goodwill.

So even free, people want something for nothing (drop off service).

mtbr member

come get these cinder blocks

write your ad like this. it will keep the prudes away and make some customers laugh. with the high demand on bikes right now, you'll sell stuff even if you offend a few people.

Anti Lowball Ad Examples-cinder-blocks.jpg

mtbr member
    I hate lowballers. I always write on ads "price is firm" and "if you are reading this ad, YES, I still have it!" most of the time, that eliminates the first "do you have ___?" emails and the "what's your best price?" BS that makes me want to punch someone in the throat.

it's kind of fun to answer the lowballers with: "my lowest price is the highest price that you offer and I accept" or something like that. I'm not playing that game. make an offer or GTFO.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I hate lowballers. I always write on ads "price is firm" and "if you are reading this ad, YES, I still have it!" most of the time, that eliminates the first "do you have ___?" emails and the "what's your best price?" BS that makes me want to punch someone in the throat.

it's kind of fun to answer the lowballers with: "my lowest price is the highest price that you offer and I accept" or something like that. I'm not playing that game. make an offer or GTFO.
    Put in the ad, "price is firm + $10 for each time one of you ear-pickers asks 'what's your lowest price?'"
    "…it has long been said: oft evil will shall evil mar."
    — Tolkien

Real eyes realize real lies.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    So I'm asking $500 and last night at 3 f'n AM I get a one line: "400".

How do you take this guy seriously? Eventually I could meet him half way or somewhere in the $400s but one liners like that are insane

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by npn View Post

How do you take this guy seriously? Eventually I could meet him half way or somewhere in the $400s but one liners like that are insane
    Reply back with a one liner

mtbr member
    I was selling a bunch of things a few years ago and noted that I would not accept trades. Some guy kept reaching out trying to trade me his knife collection and a shitty Kiss 80's album signed by Eric Carr. I'm kicking myself now for not taking that offer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    It's the same people that assume the bike shop always needs to give them a deal.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

Don't haggle. Especially not in this economy--used bikes in good condition are extremely hard to find right now.

Also when buying/selling, always ask yourself "Is this a rational or emotional decision/response"? If its not rational, don't do anything--don't reply to a text, don't send more photos, don't make a decision to meet someone halfway.

Ignore any offer that is not at least $500 (your selling price). I sold a bike on FB last summer. It took 5 weeks but it sold for what I was asking.

mtbr member
    Just ignore them.

On the other hand, I'm seeing stupid prices for used bikes. Like, 300$ for something worth 100-150. Yeah, I get the current market and whatnot but calling it 'vintage' is a bit misleading.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member

This seems like a scam response. They just go through craigslist or pinkbike or whatever online selling place they troll and throw out numbers. They get a bite, then setup some scam of some type. Not sure what the scam is, maybe getting inside your garage to scope out or some fake money transfer thing while the take off with your gear but the short response is just to save them time maybe? I dunno. I expect the people to at least ask the question of "Do you still have this thing?" at minimum. Maybe people are just too busy sitting at home doing nothing to response like a normal human or maybe this is the new normal.
    I like your bike

Dirty Old Man
    Personally, I ignore lowballers. They either move on or come back with another offer. I had a set of brakes on offer up for months. I kept ignoring lowballers until one of them finally offered my asking price.
    What kills me are people who get mad at you for selling something. We recently sold our daughters old bikes on CL and my wife got chewed out by a woman who wanted us to hold both bikes for her till she could come to our house and decide which one she wanted. Of course, she initially started with a lowball offer, which we ignored. By the time she came back with another offer we already had people coming to get the bikes and told her as much. Apparently that was beyond the pale.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was selling a pressure washer on CL last year and I got one I hadn't heard before: "can you donate this to ____ organization for charity?" Umm if I wanted to donate it I would have found someone/somewhere to donate it to, but if I'm selling it means I'm trying to get some money out of it.

npn
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    And then there's this... I wrote about it in CL WTF last year, but it happened again today:

Got an email from a guy with valid name and phone number (googled him). We exchanged about 10 emails with details about the bike including additional pics, set a place and time and he hits me with if I take money transfer through whatever apps. I said no, then he says no problem... many thanks blah blah, and he asked if where he's meeting me is a parking lot. I said it's the local PD safe exchange zone area. He says no problem see you there. Then finally I get one last email from him that he has to cancel due to budget constraints - his AC broke. I didn't even bother responding.

The point of such approach from a definite low baller is to cancel a few times, also to send you emails from other "legit" interested parties with low offers... all to get you frustrated and believe that since people are offering you that much then it must be worth that much.

Pro Crastinator
    i redirect all lowball offers to my nigerian uncle...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I put a like new Trek 9.9 on Facebook , $3200 ,some one offered $1300, really ? Same bike someone else has some sob story about money problems and transfers says he wants to ship back east somewhere . I tell him it's for sell locally only ,no shipping, he comes back with sending someone to come pick it up . I ask him what part of no shipping does he not understand?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The used bike market is so crazy right now that i got literally dozens of emails when i tried to sell a bike. I just stopped responding to anyone trying to haggle and answered the first person to offer full price.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I guess I don’t get myself all atwitter over meaningless crap. I just, you know, delete those messages and move on with life.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    I was selling a pressure washer on CL last year and I got one I hadn't heard before: "can you donate this to ____ organization for charity?" Umm if I wanted to donate it I would have found someone/somewhere to donate it to, but if I'm selling it means I'm trying to get some money out of it.
    Too funny. The same thing happened to us when selling our son's barely used Timberland boots. A dude in the 'hood suggested donating, and I'm like "Buy them from us and feel free to do that..." Pretty damn presumptuous.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I had something like that happen years ago when I wa selling my '95 Mitsubishi Eclipes. I had two buyers that were pretty much "racing" each other to get me the cash price I asked for first. Then I had ridiculously low ball offers. I told them how easily I sold the car for my price.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Ignore any offer that is not at least $500 (your selling price). I sold a bike on FB last summer. It took 5 weeks but it sold for what I was asking.
    This all day. If you don't "need" the money for a urgent bill to be paid and can afford to store the item, just ignore the low ballers until someone is reasonable. I think it took 2 months to sell my old Specialized Enduro Pro, but I got what I wanted and I think the buyer got a fair deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Plusti View Post
    Hi,

A tactic I've used successfully to weed out "spammers" and "low-ballers" is to state in the sales ad that their inquiry must have their phone number and that I would call them back when convenient for them. Seems to cut down on the riff raff quite a bit. At least it does on CL. I haven't sold a bicycle on anything but CL so far so YMMV.

Best regards,
    Jason
    For Craigslist I never post my phone number. I clearly state in the Ad to send me their number via the CL email system and I will text or call, whatever they prefer.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I sold our old car on craigslist. The people that would call were morons. Do you take payments? yup, one payment. I was asking $5k. would you take $1k?

I also had them meet me at my work at the time. Mechanic shop full of lambos, mercs, and porsches.

I hate selling things online from lowballers to no shows or just plain idiots I have pretty much given up.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I sell on CL & OfferUp there is no escaping low balling. “Firm” is meaningless. I tried “ Not accepting any offers @ this time” still get offers. Either list @ higher cost or sell on EBay.

Practice Gratitude
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    ...For Craigslist I never post my phone number. I clearly state in the Ad to send me their number via the CL email system and I will text or call, whatever they prefer.
    Agreed 100%! I do the same. It works fairly well. I also only meet in public somewhere. Seems to also weed out more of the "tire kickers" and leave the people who truly want the items. It's a bummer waiting around for people that never show up. Setting a time/place seems to be another good tactic.

Best regards,
    Jason
    Last edited by Plusti; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo.
    “It never gets easier, you just get faster.” ~ Greg LeMond

2012 Specialized Carve

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Seriously. That has to be one of the dumbest phrases in existence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    i redirect all lowball offers to my nigerian uncle...
    This.

Are there still 1-900 sex numbers? Tell them to call you back at one of those numbers.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    Seriously. That has to be one of the dumbest phrases in existence.
    Oh, this isn't so bad. You just lie and tell them the lowest you'd accept is something lower than you're asking but higher than what you'd actually take.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Plusti View Post
    Agreed 100%! I do the same. It works fairly well. I also only meet in public somewhere. Seems to also weed out more of the "tire kickers" and leave the people who truly want the items. It's a bummer waiting around for people that never show up. Setting a time/place seems to be another good tactic.

Best regards,
    Jason
    I have only had one person no-show, it was years ago and I had given them my home address (before i knew better). My wife works from home and the next day she told me the dogs were going nuts for like 30 min, but we had no deliveries. Did not have a camera out front at the time.

I think the person was trying to break into my house because I told them I was at work at the time they wanted to meet. I guess they were not expecting two American Pit Bull Terriers to come meet them when they climbed my lock gate.

I tried texting them back a few times and they ghosted me.

Now I only meet people at the local Wells Fargo, especially for big ticket items, that way they can watching me deposit the cash in the bank to deter anyone getting bright ideas of following me to rob their cash back. I know that is a pretty rare scenario, but never hurts to be a little extra careful.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I only deal in cash in very public places. I don't know how common this is, but if someone buys a bike from you using Paypal, they could potentially make a complaint with Paypal and take your money back. I don't know how much recourse you'd have after that. you could loose whatever high-dollar item you just sold and get nothing in return.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I only deal in cash in very public places. I don't know how common this is, but if someone buys a bike from you using Paypal, they could potentially make a complaint with Paypal and take your money back. I don't know how much recourse you'd have after that. you could loose whatever high-dollar item you just sold and get nothing in return.
    I use paypal all the time for selling small ticket items.

I would never use it for something big ticket like a bike.

Back in 2004 I sold an Enduro on eBay and used paypal. The customer did not like the bike after they got it and wanted a refund. I told them it was sold as-is per the verbiage on my ad. They filed a fraud claim with their credit card company and eBay took the funds away from me.

I called up eBay and told them the customer lied, they still had my bike. I was able to convince the buyer to ship me back the bike. It came back with a few upgraded parts for some reason. I turned around and sold it again and that time the sale stuck.

The whole process took nearly a year and was very painful.

eBay and PayPal protect the buyers not the sellers, so tread carefully.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

CEO Product Failure
    I forgot about this: one of our local shops sells bikes on consignment. You set the price. They sell it. You have the option to take the cash or take the selling price as an in store credit. Its gone over very well. Nearly everyone I know who partipates in this uses the store credit option. In a few cases, the LBS will repair/update/tune the used bike prior to selling (with the seller's consent).

The LBS views it as win-win-win situation
    1. The shop keeps customers coming in. And may get additional revenue from the upgrading/updating of the old bike.
    2. The seller doesn't have to worry about haggling and scams.
    3. They buyers also don't have to worry about haggling and scams.

To the OP, its a long shot but ask you LBS if they'd consider selling on consignment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    If I'm selling something for $500 and someone messages me "Hi, if I show up with $400, can we do business?" I will take them seriously. One word inquiries get deleted.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    I forgot about this: one of our local shops sells bikes on consignment. You set the price. They sell it. You have the option to take the cash or take the selling price as an in store credit. Its gone over very well. Nearly everyone I know who partipates in this uses the store credit option. In a few cases, the LBS will repair/update/tune the used bike prior to selling (with the seller's consent).

The LBS views it as win-win-win situation
    1. The shop keeps customers coming in. And may get additional revenue from the upgrading/updating of the old bike.
    2. The seller doesn't have to worry about haggling and scams.
    3. They buyers also don't have to worry about haggling and scams.

To the OP, its a long shot but ask you LBS if they'd consider selling on consignment.
    If I set the price at $2500 what does the bike shop sell it for? if they sell it for $2500 there is not much in it for them outside of getting traffic in the door. That the shop you are speaking of, do they get to try and sell it for more than you are asking to make some profit?

I actually purchased a motorcycle from a shop up in LA that was on consignment. The hard part was I was not able to haggle much because the dealer had a set bottom dollar to sell it at. for me that was okay because I had the cash and got the bike for what was a fair deal.

Just curious.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

All fat, all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk