GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP

Another booby trap news

I've seen it and taking down booby traps on my local trails. Duno and can't wrap my mind around why people think they've the right to do these stupid things, but one day someone will get hurt really bad or worst .

Be careful while riding and keep your eyes open.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...L&ocid=U148DHP

Happy turkey day
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

Nothing seems to kill me
    At least they caught these MF'ers
    How can this mean anything to me, if I really don't feel anything at all. I'll keep digging, till I feel something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    At least they caught these MF'ers
    So you know who they are and can find out where they live...

mtbr member
    they should be charged with attempted murder, same with people that start fires

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pvflyer View Post
    I've seen it and taking down booby traps on my local trails. Duno and can't wrap my mind around why people think they've the right to do these stupid things, but one day someone will get hurt really bad or worst .

Happy turkey day
    guy who wrote that article is a friend of mine. saw it right when it went online.

srsly...if you're taking down booby traps on your local trails, you damn well better call the cops about it. trail booby traps have already hurt and killed people.

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

srsly...if you're taking down booby traps on your local trails, you damn well better call the cops about it. trail booby traps have already hurt and killed people.
    In my case it was the typical rocks or small bolder placed bellow a drop or after a double jump camouflaged with tumbleweed or small tree brunches, boulders placed after a blind bend...things like that. However it blows my mind that some arsewipe will do more harmful things like strings or fishing lines across a trail path. This issue should be handled as attempt of murder and nothing less.

Glad they were caught.
    "My GREATEST FEAR is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them."

GOD SPEED # 58 # 69 RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    So you know who they are and can find out where they live...
    LOL....yeap.

since 4/10/2009
    In my case it was the typical rocks or small bolder placed bellow a drop or after a double jump camouflaged with tumbleweed or small tree brunches, boulders placed after a blind bend...things like that. However it blows my mind that some arsewipe will do more harmful things like strings or fishing lines across a trail path. This issue should be handled as attempt of murder and nothing less.

Glad they were caught.
    All of which should still be reported. People who do that are attempting to injure others. It is a small step from moving rocks and attempting to hide them to putting down boards with nails or stringing piano wire across the trail. A frighteningly small step.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Trail cameras.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

jcd's best friend
    I think this story made rounds here on the forum several months ago. Old lady was caught booby trapping in BC.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...trail-sabotage
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    In a bizarre turn of events, the one last summer in my neck of the woods turned out to be a fraud perpetrated by the individual claiming to have been the victim.

https://forums.mtbr.com/western-cana...s-1049793.html

https://road.cc/content/news/226488-...-trap-injuries

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    Not in a Liberal city. It's catch and release with no accountability. In the late 90s, I was riding with my dog. He was ahead of me on the trail and ran across a piece of plywood peppered with roofing nails. I had to unstick him from the board and carry him and his 90 pounds four miles back to the trailhead. This was also in Oregon.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    Agree.

mtbr member
    I have considered putting out bear traps right after a long, soaking rain... since that's apparently the best time to ride your horse on the volunteer built trails where I live.

Barely in control
    Cops don't care. But if you do anything yourself, you bet they'll be all over you.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Cops don't care. But if you do anything yourself, you bet they'll be all over you.
    Maybe a bicycle cop would.

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I wonder how many stunt cyclists they used.
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I wonder how many stunt cyclists they used.
    Hans Rey was a stunt rider for that show.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Not in a Liberal city. It's catch and release with no accountability. In the late 90s, I was riding with my dog. He was ahead of me on the trail and ran across a piece of plywood peppered with roofing nails. I had to unstick him from the board and carry him and his 90 pounds four miles back to the trailhead. This was also in Oregon.
    I've never understood the nail strip booby traps aimed at mountain bikes. Ride over it with your bike, and you get a flat or two. Far more likely to puncture the bottom of a hiker's foot or a dog's.

And Oregon seems to have had more than its fair share of these types of incidents (don't forget about the guy down in Ashland the got convicted).

About 2 weeks ago, I was riding my commuter bike to work on the MUP, and double flatted on a softball sized rock that was hidden in a pile of leaves. Due to it's location, there was absolutely no way it was just there by accident.

I'm just glad that my life isn't so pathetic that I feel the need to do this kind of crap to feel better about myself.
    No dig no whine

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twd953 View Post
    I've never understood the nail strip booby traps aimed at mountain bikes. Ride over it with your bike, and you get a flat or two. Far more likely to puncture the bottom of a hiker's foot or a dog's.

And Oregon seems to have had more than its fair share of these types of incidents (don't forget about the guy down in Ashland the got convicted).

About 2 weeks ago, I was riding my commuter bike to work on the MUP, and double flatted on a softball sized rock that was hidden in a pile of leaves. Due to it's location, there was absolutely no way it was just there by accident.

I'm just glad that my life isn't so pathetic that I feel the need to do this kind of crap to feel better about myself.
    It's not always done to target mtb's.

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/...rail/98169096/

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Trail cameras.
    That would be a LOT of cameras.
    What's wrong with him??

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    That would be a LOT of cameras.

Not really. Trail saboteurs are generally lazy, they won't venture too far to do their work.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    I have considered putting out bear traps right after a long, soaking rain... since that's apparently the best time to ride your horse on the volunteer built trails where I live.
    Yeah, but that only hurts the horse, not the rider who you're PO'd at for messing up the trails.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yeah, but that only hurts the horse, not the rider who you're PO'd at for messing up the trails.
    This guys got some balls.

Ball Trap - Tosh.0 (Video Clip) | Comedy Central

No known cure

I love Ashland and have raced the 12 Mile Super D/Enduro several times. I could live there. The board with roofing tacks was on a trail in the foothills west of McMinnville. Not exactly a hotbed of mountain biking. There was maybe 20 local riders on rider built trails.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    All of which should still be reported. People who do that are attempting to injure others. It is a small step from moving rocks and attempting to hide them to putting down boards with nails or stringing piano wire across the trail. A frighteningly small step.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    The worst account I've read was from Great Britain in the 90s. A guy and his two teenage sons were out for a ride. The dad's front wheel dropped into a covered pit and the bars twisted in manner where the end of the bar punctured his femoral artery and he bled out in front of his sons.

The worst account I've read was from Great Britain in the 90s. A guy and his two teenage sons were out for a ride. The dad's front wheel dropped into a covered pit and the bars twisted in manner where the end of the bar punctured his femoral artery and he bled out in front of his sons.
    Wow, so sad. I’d call that murder if they caught the culprits.

mtbr member
    When I used to live in Maryland there was a lady booby trapping trails with razor blades in wood blocks. https://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...b4f7531d1.html
    I have since moved, but I guess they eventually got her. Apparently she was wanted in other states for doing the same. I know some tires got slashed, but it was a dog that paid the ultimate price. It stepped on one, and bled out before the owner could get help.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Happy turkey day
    Portland...? A city run by crazies...
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

mtbr member
    C'mon, please don't bring politics into this. Has nothing to do with Liberal or otherwise.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post
    Portland...? A city run by crazies...
    I think so. My sister lived there, really loved the place, but left as she could see the direction it is going in.

mtbr member

The LT was kind a dick there, but he put up a good fight against the terminator.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    About 15 years ago someone peppered the start of our trails with roofing tacks. Someone called one of the local TV stations, and a reporter came out and covered it. This had to do with a local gay nighttime hook-up scene in the park bumping up against the advent of trail lights, which made night riding a possibility. The gay hook-up scene didn't want a bunch of people riding round at night during prime hook-up hours.

Anyway, the police were already on top of the situation because they periodically set up stings. One time we reported a weird guy loitering around the picnic tables -- turns out he was an undercover cop.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Taking vengeance on the d-bags who do stuff like this makes you just as much a criminal.

But damn, it would sure feel good...

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    About 15 years ago...the advent of trail lights, which made night riding a possibility.
    Um. Nope. Night riding, with good lights, has been around much longer than that. Good story but...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    almost enough to want a ww2 tripwire cutter like on the motorcycles...
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    C'mon, please don't bring politics into this. Has nothing to do with Liberal or otherwise.
    Agreed. Avoiding politics would be a nice change of pace around here.

And now that I got that out of the way...
    I'm gonna blame Trump for the booby traps. I'm not sure how exactly, but I'm pretty confident it's his fault.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Um. Nope. Night riding, with good lights, has been around much longer than that. Good story but...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I took "trail lights" to mean actual lighting on the trail versus "bike lights" (which would be weird, even at the start of a trail)

Time passages. Remember bike lights with batteries the size of a Big Gulp and less than two-hour runtimes?
    (a lot more than 15 years ago...)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    When I used to live in Maryland there was a lady booby trapping trails with razor blades in wood blocks. https://www.fredericknewspost.com/ne...b4f7531d1.html
    I have since moved, but I guess they eventually got her. Apparently she was wanted in other states for doing the same. I know some tires got slashed, but it was a dog that paid the ultimate price. It stepped on one, and bled out before the owner could get help.
    I live in Frederick and have direct knowledge of this scenario... And have never heard of a woman who was caught or a dog that was killed. Care to share how you heard this?

I can tell you for absolute certain no one was ever caught. (I'm one of the liaisons working with the City to manage those trails.)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    Agreed. Avoiding politics would be a nice change of pace around here.

And now that I got that out of the way...
    I'm gonna blame Trump for the booby traps. I'm not sure how exactly, but I'm pretty confident it's his fault.

If he did more to ensure trails were properly raked none of this booby trapping nonsense would have happened!

Very glad we don't have that problem around here. I honestly wouldn't care about a tire being punctured or even my own foot but I can't stand the thought of my dogs stepping on a spike. Some trails here do have glass, a friend's dog sliced a paw pretty bad while running.

Barely in control

Spinergy and Oakley Zeros. Can't get more cool than that in the 90s!

Spinergy and Oakley Zeros. Can't get more cool than that in the 90s!
    Yep, best decade of my life. But I also lived the SoCal beach scene at that time.

Barely in control

I'm glad they aren't mountain bikers. A mountain biker would know that a strategically placed flat rock buried end up 3/4 the way could cause lots of crashes and look totally natural.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fajita Dave View Post
    If he did more to ensure trails were properly raked none of this booby trapping nonsense would have happened!

Now THAT is hilarious! Raking the forests. Ha!

One ring to mash them all
    Orange leaves bad.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Orange leaves bad.
    I saw on the news there are people gathering at our Southern border just begging for an opportunity to rake the trails.

One ring to mash them all
    I hope they're from Finland!
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I hope they're from Finland!
    That's pretty racist. Or something.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I live in Frederick and have direct knowledge of this scenario... And have never heard of a woman who was caught or a dog that was killed. Care to share how you heard this?

I can tell you for absolute certain no one was ever caught. (I'm one of the liaisons working with the City to manage those trails.)
    I heard about a dog got cut, dont know if it died. Never heard anyone was ever caught.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by schulze View Post
    i'm glad they aren't mountain bikers. A psychopath would know that a strategically placed flat rock buried end up 3/4 the way could cause lots of crashes and look totally natural.
    fify
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Perhaps the most dangerous and pain inducing booby trap known to man:

https://www.cycling-today.com/images...kova-thumb.jpg
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Trap is right.
    Next thing you know, you're giving up half of everything you used to own...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I heard about a dog got cut, dont know if it died. Never heard anyone was ever caught.
    We definitely did not catch anyone. I'd love to know what woman he is referring to though, seems awful specific despite being incorrect.

mtbr member
    Perhaps the most dangerous and pain inducing booby trap known to man:

https://www.cycling-today.com/images...kova-thumb.jpg
    After about a minute or five, I looked away and caught a glance at who she rides for.

Giant...

Coincidence? I think not!
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    We definitely did not catch anyone. I'd love to know what woman he is referring to though, seems awful specific despite being incorrect.
    Yeah there were 2 possible subs last I heard anything. One even posted here saying he was innocent and his vehicle was in posters. There was a trap in the lower shed in late 2017 but it was buired arrows not the blade in a block.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post
    After about a minute or five, I looked away and caught a glance at who she rides for.

Giant...

How did you see that??
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn View Post

Giant...

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    How did you see that??
    The trick is not to look away. I find it an easy accomplishment.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yeah there were 2 possible subs last I heard anything. One even posted here saying he was innocent and his vehicle was in posters. There was a trap in the lower shed in late 2017 but it was buired arrows not the blade in a block.
    Officially, there were never any suspects. Many of us in the community have some guesses, but nothing corroborated by any actual evidence. Don't think the buried arrows were ever brought to our attention, or the City's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Officially, there were never any suspects. Many of us in the community have some guesses, but nothing corroborated by any actual evidence. Don't think the buried arrows were ever brought to our attention, or the City's.
    Yeah, know nothing is Official. Just some chatter about what to look out for.
    The arrows were found the same day as some trail work (new link to Gambrill if i recall correctly) was being done. On Kubla if i remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Some riders found rope across a big drop on my property as well as big rocks placed at the bottom. When I put out trailcams, they were all stolen (also had all tools stolen from a locked box). We are still actively trying to find the people and now have cams watching cams. Cams locked with bike locks etc.

I would love for the cellular cams to drop in price

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post
    Some riders found rope across a big drop on my property as well as big rocks placed at the bottom. When I put out trailcams, they were all stolen (also had all tools stolen from a locked box). We are still actively trying to find the people and now have cams watching cams. Cams locked with bike locks etc.

I would love for the cellular cams to drop in price
    Someone is doing that on your own personal property?

I always figured motive for this kind of thing was pretty limited to one type of trail user wanting to scare off another.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yeah, know nothing is Official. Just some chatter about what to look out for.
    The arrows were found the same day as some trail work (new link to Gambrill if i recall correctly) was being done. On Kubla if i remember correctly.
    Oh that's right, I didn't connect that they were arrows but you're probably right... They did look like arrow shafts cut down and sharpened. Kubla is kind of my personal project (the last two years at least, I didn't build it originally) and I ride it weekly... Fingers crossed, I haven't seen anything since.

mtbr member
    Someone is doing that on your own personal property?
    My experience is that people that do that type of stuff aren't big on respecting private property. My parents owned 30 acres of land adjacent to a tract owned by the Nature Conservancy. Growing up, I built mountain bike trails on our property, and we clearly marked the property line abutting the Nature Conservancy land with no Trespassing signs, and none of the trails crossed the line.

That didn't stop people from regularly trespassing on our land to access that Nature Conservancy land, or from several attempts by them to throw logs and branches across trails on our property, and even try to kick me off of our land and tell me I couldn't ride my mountain bike there.

We tolerated the trespassing for a while when it was just people going out for a hike (no harm no foul), but once they started messing with our property and tried telling us what we could or couldn't do on our land, that ended real quick.

When I was in high school, I kicked a group of about 20 people going on a group nature hike off our land for trespassing. They were like "oh, we're just going for a hike", and "but how else are we supposed to get to the Nature Conservancy property?" Not my problem, I marched them all the way off our land and waiting for them to all drive away (they had about 10 cars parked and nearly blocking a private road they didn't have permission to be on). Best part was that I rode up on my mountain bike to show them out.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh that's right, I didn't connect that they were arrows but you're probably right... They did look like arrow shafts cut down and sharpened. Kubla is kind of my personal project (the last two years at least, I didn't build it originally) and I ride it weekly... Fingers crossed, I haven't seen anything since.
    Yeah, things are quite these days. Im glad since my wife is finally riding tech this year and doing well. Think Kubla will be one of the next she will hit with me. Thanks for the work you put in.