Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    So, you think that e-bikes are not going to become increasingly popular in the coming years? That a bicycle discussion website "taking a stand" against them wouldn't be cutting themselves off from a fast-growing segment of biking and actually lose a lot of friends? Nah. I think it makes a lot more sense to cater to all mountain bikers and just encourage the true believers to stay in their own lane.
    Ebiking isn't our sport for most of the people on this site. Go start an ebike forum on a dedicated motorcycle site and see how welcome you are there. They won't consider ebikes to be their sport either, just as you don't consider ebiking to be part of the sport of motorcycling. Ebikes are not bicycles and they are not motorcycles, they need to establish their own identity and quit trying to hang on to something that already exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Getting rid of the ebike forum could reduce potential user hits for this site, so wouldn’t make any sense to get rid of it.... unfortunately

But, how about moving the ebike forum out from under the “Classic Mountain Bike” subforum and creating a new subforum just for ebikes like the “regional bike trails” and “mtb manufactures forums” have?

That way there could be specific sub forums under ebike forum like; factory built ebikes, diy ebikes, ebike specific components, ebike accessories, great legal ebike trails, ebike advocacy, ebike tuning, class 1 & 2, class 3, ebikes for ohv only, batteries & chargers, ebike motors, ebike programming and controllers, ebike computers, etc.
    how about bulldozing the ebike forum off the edge of the flat earth where maybe someone over there will appreciate it

I kid I kid...but srsly
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    . Ebikes are not bicycles and they are not motorcycles, they need to establish their own identity and quit trying to hang on to something that already exists.
    This. They are simply different. Start ebikereview.com and be done with it.

MTBR has too many damn forums. Overlap, tiny categories that don't make sense anymore (or ever), duplication, etc.

Consolidate and eliminate the fluff to make the place easier to navigate and easier to find the content you want.

My vote is to sink the norcal forum. Move all the topics to the relevant subforums.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Consolidate and eliminate the fluff to make the place easier to navigate and easier to find the content you want.
    Agree. As a committed long-term user I find it impossible to check all of the forums, and I devote a lot of time to this place! These days I use the 'New Post' button to look for new threads but even that is limited as busy periods soon push posts off the page.

Out spokin'
    Yesterday I was on some site with the most annoying ad I'd seen in a long time. It was for a grocery store and just s very quick loop of zooming in on some ice-cream then back out. It was so distracting having that going on in my peripheral vision that I couldn't read anything on the page.
    But you bought the ice cream, didn't you. Admit it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

MTBR has too many damn forums. Overlap, tiny categories that don't make sense anymore (or ever), duplication, etc.

My vote is to sink the norcal forum. Move all the topics to the relevant subforums.

I'm with Harold on creating an Emountainbikereview.com website. Additional ad revenue for the owner and if any of us do decide to convert, we can go there for ebike content.

As for the NorCal forum. It should stay just as it is today, please. We're a "special" bunch and deserve our own space. Oh and maybe our own bus, a really short one.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

mtbr member
    @Philip: I know we're on the forums and most of the suggestions so far have been related to that, but I think you need to take a look at the whole review section of MTBR. It's in the name! When I first started visiting this site, it was the review section that brought me here. Whenever I was considering a new part, this was the first place I'd look. Now, frankly, it's the last place I look. I honestly don't perceive this site to have the best content when I'm looking to geek out on the latest tech.

Reviews of products are often short, with little personality, and direct comparisons of products are increasingly hard to come by. I'd love to see more head to head content. And photos; I love looking at huge, high resolution photos. I'm honestly pretty lazy when I see thumbnails that pop-up a slow slideshow at the bottom of the page. Having one page to scroll through and view all the content would be swell.

This site has good bones, but it could use a 2018 makeover.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    The fact that cycling has historically always been a human-powered endeavor is fundamental to its appeal.
    Bah. For the vast majority of human history, everything was a human-powered endeavor. Time marches on. Technology advances. Your argument reminds me of my benighted surgeon colleagues that piss and moan about the looming trend toward robotic surgery. "but..but..but surgery has historically been a human powered endeavor".

Anyway, who gives a crap how the endeavor is powered? (never mind...I know the answer to that...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    When I first started visiting this site, it was the review section that brought me here. Whenever I was considering a new part, this was the first place I'd look. Now, frankly, it's the last place I look.
    Actually, this is true of me too.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Seriously. Though this is a bicycle forum, many (most?) don't seem to know the difference between "pedal" and "peddle."
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Come on, give 'em a brake.
    At least most of them have got the forks and front shock thing figured out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Moderator Moderator
    Yep. The only ebike forums that thrive and are successful are stand alone forums where they have a safe space. If they are mixed into a bike forum, they just flail.

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRadmin View Post
    Noted. If you have ideas for how to make the time you spend here better let me know.
    -Philip
    bring back f-88.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    Comic relief in a discussion does no harm..
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    My only wish is that the new owners please make the site objective and as free from industry influence as much as possible.

...and add a MTB skills forum
    hear hear !
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    My only wish is that the new owners please make the site objective and as free from industry influence as much as possible.

...and add a MTB skills forum
    What lemonaid said.

And add TLS/SSL support. Tired of sending my username and password in the clear.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Hadley hubs for sale

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Can you get rid of the e-bike forum? k thanks!
    Yes this too.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Snowjnky McDreamy
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Bring back Forum 88.
    this.
    nothing else just this.
    Brother Seamus?
    Like an Irish monk?
    CS Lewis
    Quadzilla

One ring to mash them all
    Add a bot that parses the first post of a new thread to determine if it contains a question easily answered with a Google search. If so, instead of starting the new thread, send a PM to the OP containing recommended search strings.

Make this mandatory for new users, and for Picard and his socks.
    "One always measures friendships by how they show up in bad weather."
    — Winston Churchill

Administrator Administrator
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Cool.
    Job#1
    Make it 10 billion times easier to post pics.
    Also, this site is full of bugs. It's a chore to type from my phone.
    This will be addressed with adding new mobile skin to the site.

I think it's because I'm old.

How about a pic icon that brings me directly to my phone's gallery like every single other media site I use.
    This will be much easier as soon as the mobile skin is installed. Should be within the next two weeks but likely sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa View Post
    I'm here for the humor, most of the time. Gotta say that this is the funniest thread I've read in a long time.

Oh, while you're making improvements, could you please try to offer spelling and punctuation help to those who need it? MTBRs are an illiterate group, except for the ladies. Somehow they seem more edumacated.
    There is a browser plugin for this.

Quote Originally Posted by UPSed View Post
    Make that MUNI cycling.
    Those hatchets are pretty rad, not had the pleasure of riding one yet. I only recently upgraded to a 26x3 Qu-Ax from my probably 15 year old 24x3 Bedford/KH.

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Welcome, Philip.

I'd like to suggest that singlespeeders be given special status and privileges. Everyone knows that singlespeeders are more knowledgeable and insightful, and, quite frankly, just better people in general. That should be rewarded here.
    Like maybe an avatar that looks like this?

Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    Overall it's a great forum. Deleting of some of the spy shots sucks, but I understand that you need to maintain relationships in order to get access.
    Keep Norcal rule free! It's my favorite corner of this forum and if there is pertinent info in there it's easy to search.

Pop up ads and malware on the phone needs attention.
    A mobile skin for the site is on its way. This should help with the malware attack ads you may have been getting.

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Getting rid of the ebike forum could reduce potential user hits for this site, so wouldn’t make any sense to get rid of it.... unfortunately

But, how about moving the ebike forum out from under the “Classic Mountain Bike” subforum and creating a new subforum just for ebikes like the “regional bike trails” and “mtb manufactures forums” have?

That way there could be specific sub forums under ebike forum like; factory built ebikes, diy ebikes, ebike specific components, ebike accessories, great legal ebike trails, ebike advocacy, ebike tuning, class 1 & 2, class 3, ebikes for ohv only, batteries & chargers, ebike motors, ebike programming and controllers, ebike computers, etc.
    A re ordering is in order here for sure. I will be going over this with the mod team to best sort out how this will be managed.

Quote Originally Posted by tom erb View Post
    Instead of showing the time a post was made like, 1 hour ago............3 days ago...........1 week ago. Just show the date and time it actually happened..........6/27/18 12:31
    This should be in your user control panel. Go to your PMS then look to the list on the left it will have all the custom controls for your account.

Yeah, about that eBike forum. So it stays eh? Ok, I get that, but can't it maybe be invisible or something? You need a password to see it?
    I feel that way about letting them ride in the bike lane, require a password.
    -Philip

passed out in your garden
    Can l suggest that we have more tits.......
    always mad and usually drunk......

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by cmg71 View Post
    That would require surgery to add the third one.
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts.

Not helpful.
    =sParty
    Naw, he just blew a seal.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

Not helpful.
    @Philip: I know we're on the forums and most of the suggestions so far have been related to that, but I think you need to take a look at the whole review section of MTBR. It's in the name! When I first started visiting this site, it was the review section that brought me here. Whenever I was considering a new part, this was the first place I'd look. Now, frankly, it's the last place I look. I honestly don't perceive this site to have the best content when I'm looking to geek out on the latest tech.

Reviews of products are often short, with little personality, and direct comparisons of products are increasingly hard to come by. I'd love to see more head to head content. And photos; I love looking at huge, high resolution photos. I'm honestly pretty lazy when I see thumbnails that pop-up a slow slideshow at the bottom of the page. Having one page to scroll through and view all the content would be swell.

Everything you've said, times a bazikillion.
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Add a bot that parses the first post of a new thread to determine if it contains a question easily answered with a Google search. If so, instead of starting the new thread, send a PM to the OP containing recommended search strings.

Make this mandatory for new users, and for Picard and his socks.
    Yah yah yah yah!!!

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    about ads

I would not ever use an ad blocker ads were not animated.

ads don't bother me if they are static. since everyone has to animate everything, I block everything, all sites. you have a web site that says 'we see you are using an ad blocker' I close the site immediately and go somewhere else.

why the F don't these marketing idiots get it ? ffs,
    With forums I can tell you that guests always see more ads than users do. The reason for this is guest traffic is like your neighbor that wanders into your party, drinks your beer, stares at everyone without talking to them and then leaves. The hope is while they where sitting on the couch drinking your beer and listening to everyone else that the change in their pockets fell out into your couch cushions. Ad revenue is what pays the bills here to keep the lights on and the fridges stocked. We don't shake down members cause you are contributing to the conversation and the community. We do however try to make sure that the guests will trip over a few ads on the way in and the way out. We also don't punish users who chose to run ad blockers we only silently judge you and talk about that time we saw you on a e-bike.

A valid point. We have enough choices that we don't need to tolerate intrusive and excessive advertising. There is a car magazine site I used to visit all the time. There is now as much advertising as content and I no longer go there.
    With so many social media options today, unless a pleasant user experience is provided people just won't stay.
    I doubt you would see more ads here than you already see.

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Suggestions for New Forums:

Flats vs Clipless
    Spandex vs Baggies
    General Pissing and Moaning
    Why E-bikes are Bad
    Does Using Strava Make you an A-Hole?
    Trail Etiquette
    Mysterious Bike Noises
    Awesome Strap

Wait, maybe not a good idea - there'll be nothing left for General Discussion.
    I think the mod team might all quit if I added that many more fightclub style forums.

Yesterday I was on some site with the most annoying ad I'd seen in a long time. It was for a grocery store and just s very quick loop of zooming in on some ice-cream then back out. It was so distracting having that going on in my peripheral vision that I couldn't read anything on the page.
    Did it make you want icecream?

Yeah, like everyone typing three periods instead of a proper ellipsis character (…)!

The spelling does drive me crazy but for some members, English is not their first language. So maybe make people state their first language when they register and have an algorithm that checks that when they post and give them a big red "F" if they spell bike components wrong. Or maybe don't.
    Tyre vs. Tire. Both English just depends on what side of the pond they ride.

Agree. As a committed long-term user I find it impossible to check all of the forums, and I devote a lot of time to this place! These days I use the 'New Post' button to look for new threads but even that is limited as busy periods soon push posts off the page.
    You can subscribe to only a handful of specific forums and get alerts as those forums are updated.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I'm with Harold on creating an Emountainbikereview.com website. Additional ad revenue for the owner and if any of us do decide to convert, we can go there for ebike content.

As for the NorCal forum. It should stay just as it is today, please. We're a "special" bunch and deserve our own space. Oh and maybe our own bus, a really short one.

I am running this up the chain. thank you for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    What lemonaid said.
    And add TLS/SSL support. Tired of sending my username and password in the clear.
    Thats one its way. vBulletin was never set up with SSL support in mind. Right now we have been rolling out SSL support across the VS network and we should be completed by the end of July. MTBR will be added to the list but I want to get a bunch of other little things sorted here before we launch something that will create a bunch of new bugs.

mtbr member
    The spelling does drive me crazy but for some members, English is not their first language.
    Are you talking about Americans?

Here, diagonally!
    Hi Philip, welcome to the nut house!

No complaints as long as we can continue to keep it real. I think the mods do a good job of stepping in only when needed (and sometimes is definitely is).

Only suggestion I can think of offhand would be to add a forum where we could post up the latest news and sightings of Matt Chester.

Cycologist
    Whenever I was considering a new part, this was the first place I'd look. Now, frankly, it's the last place I look.
    And me as well. I used to look at the user reviews of products and of trails. I guess the reviews on store sites and Trailforks/MTB project siphoned all that off?

Cycologist
    =sParty

No, we already had some.

Which I did eat.

Cycologist
    btw, I'm getting Mackeeper redirects today; it has been an annoying virus scam for years. Mac using Safari.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    That would require surgery to add the third one.
    I was born with 3 nipples.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Jun 2018
    btw, I'm getting Mackeeper redirects today; it has been an annoying virus scam for years. Mac using Safari.
    Looking into this. You are only seeing these on desktop?
    -Philip

EAT MORE GRIME

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Jun 2018
    Here is a pair of "Great Tits" for you.

-Philip

Cycologist
    Looking into this. You are only seeing these on desktop?
    -Philip
    Yes, haven't tried my phone (Android). Just opened a bunch of threads and most of them forwarded to MacKeeper.

Jun 2018
    The site has not yet been moved to our ad network. This should be happening soon.
    -Philip

Yes, haven't tried my phone (Android). Just opened a bunch of threads and most of them forwarded to MacKeeper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Verticalscope has been buying up motorcycle, outdoor, motorsports, .... every sort of forums for years. This is not a good move for this site - after every forum buyout came increased and embedded ads. I'd expect no different here. They're a huge company that focuses on ad delivery over their entire network. That's the business.

Check out their collection on their own website under "Verticals" in the top toolbar.

https://www.verticalscope.com/

Really unfortunate that this is happening. If you all haven't seen what VS has done to other forums, you're in for an unfortunate surprise. Google the name, and you'll find that everything goes downhill shortly after.

Quote Originally Posted by Speireag View Post
    Verticalscope has been buying up motorcycle forums for years. This is not a good move for this site. After every forum buyout came increased and embedded ads. I'd expect no different here.

Really unfortunate that this is happening. If you all haven't seen what VS has done to other forums, you're in for an unfortunate surprise.
    Yikers! Philip, FC, is there more to this buy out than what’s being led on?
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

passed out in your garden
    Loving all the tits,

except this one, looks like its got ears, and evil ones at that, seems it can pop em up or down.

Never trust a tit with ears (words to live by)

always mad and usually drunk......

Out spokin'
    Are you talking about Americans?
    You never pass up an opportunity, do you Pig?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    We need a sasquatch forum.
    Pretty certain I probably might have seen something once.

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yikers! Philip, FC, is there more to this buy out than what’s being led on?
    You can judge for your self if these communities are that bad when you look at the list of sites he mentioned. I do suggest actually registering and viewing the site like a regular user and not a guest. If you have a problem with anything I do you are welcome to discuss it with me. So far I have been open to hearing everyone's requests on how to make the time they spend on MTBR better for them.
    -Philip

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    So, you think that e-bikes are not going to become increasingly popular in the coming years? That a bicycle discussion website "taking a stand" against them wouldn't be cutting themselves off from a fast-growing segment of biking and actually lose a lot of friends? Nah. I think it makes a lot more sense to cater to all mountain bikers and just encourage the true believers to stay in their own lane.

Fastest growing for how long? When the suckers that buy them find out there are few places to legally ride them the segment will die thankfully.
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Jun 2018
    Was it riding a Matt Chester?
    -Philip

We need a sasquatch forum.
    Pretty certain I probably might have seen something once.

Out spokin'
    Verticalscope has been buying up motorcycle, outdoor, motorsports, .... every sort of forums for years. This is not a good move for this site - after every forum buyout came increased and embedded ads. I'd expect no different here. They're a huge company that focuses on ad delivery over their entire network. That's the business.

Check out their collection on their own website under "Verticals" in the top toolbar.

https://www.verticalscope.com/

Really unfortunate that this is happening. If you all haven't seen what VS has done to other forums, you're in for an unfortunate surprise. Google the name, and you'll find that everything goes downhill shortly after.
    Perhaps I'll finally be able to break my MTBR addiction...
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

Jun 2018
    Fueled by the ever growing population of aging couch to casual rider. When your back starts to give out you give up your drops and raise your bars/stem. When your knees give out you give up pedaling.
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Fastest growing for how long? When the suckers that buy them find out there are few places to legally ride them the segment will die thankfully.

Jun 2018
    You may re-evaluate this after we get mobile working on here.
    -Philip

Perhaps I'll finally be able to break my MTBR addiction...
    =sParty

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    When the suckers that buy them find out there are few places to legally ride them the segment will die thankfully.
    Which is why they're pushing like crazy to get them allowed and treated like a bicycle and not a motorized vehicle.

I love seeing the 10 bagillion Watt AM bikes designed so you don't have to take the lift at all. 30mph uphill without breaking a sweat but of course it's not actually a motorized bike.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^wow
    Speireag been here for 1 week and already telling us how it's going down

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Oh now you've waded right into it!

Anyway as to ads:
    MTBR and maybe a Verticalscope forum are what pushed me over the edge to install an ad-blocker after not running one for a decade.
    The MTBR ads are way worse than the Verticalscope ones, which are worse than most places used to be but now days not too far off from 'normal'.

I wouldn't mind occasional relevant ads, or even constant tasteful ones in a sidebar. But multiple flashing things which re-arrange the web page and possibly are exploiting bugs to install malware? Time for an ad blocker!

Stone Jack Baller
    Full suspension bike for sell.
    Announcement: Mtbr has a new owner!-2ed59591-bd0a-451f-bdd0-1c62f45e087f.jpg

mtbr member
    What this forum needs is more beer.

And Black Sabbath.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    MTBRAdmin - To be fair, your business is to maximize ad revenue. If "improvement" drives increased viewership, then that's what I'm sure what you guys will do, but not because you care about the community here. Your business can't be to "care" about the community when you own hundreds of forums that have no relation to one another. But all four of the forums I've frequented that have been bought up by you guys have gone downhill. More ads, embedded ads, pop ups, ads between forum posts, etc etc etc. Less moderator interaction to keep the forums clean, and so on

I'm just dipping my feet into the MTB waters - registered just *days* ago - so it's rather disappointing to see you all get your hands on this website, too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    ^wow
    Speireag been here for 1 week and already telling us how it's going down
    Yes, I'm new here. But what VS has been doing isn't new to me. I come from a motorcycling background and wanted to use MTB to get into shape and train, as there are a lot of skills that cross over for off road riding. Living in NC, we've got some fantastic off road motorcycling trails here, along with some of the best for MTB. Why not dabble in both?

I've personally watched VS acquire up sailing forums, archery forums, and motorcycle forums that I post(ed) on. It was never a great outcome for any of them. Ad presence went up, and moderator interaction went down. Viewership took a plunge on a few of those forums due to intrusive ads. VS has been trying to buy out another community that I post in for years.. Thankfully the owners there know what they've got, and value the community more than the paycheck.

Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmtb View Post
    Oh now you've waded right into it!

Anyway as to ads:
    MTBR and maybe a Verticalscope forum are what pushed me over the edge to install an ad-blocker after not running one for a decade.
    The MTBR ads are way worse than the Verticalscope ones, which are worse than most places used to be but now days not too far off from 'normal'.

I wouldn't mind occasional relevant ads, or even constant tasteful ones in a sidebar. But multiple flashing things which re-arrange the web page and possibly are exploiting bugs to install malware? Time for an ad blocker!
    Your browser experience is yours alone. We don't make you pay to view content here and also don't block you from viewing content if you choose to employ an ad blocker. I am glad you still contribute to the conversation and comradery. It makes little difference to me personally as long as you are nice.
    -Philip

Jun 2018
    I can tell you that forums in general are changing a lot and you can probably blame other forms of social media not just us. This site was owned by a company as was the many of the other sites we have acquired in recent years. The difference is the level of transparency we have. Moderators are volunteers for the most part and do as much work as they feel they need to do. We do our best to support the moderator teams and allow them to maintain the spirit of the site the way they started it. If this announcement was never posted you likely would not even have been able to tell I was from VS.
    -Philip

Yes, I'm new here. But what VS has been doing isn't new to me. I come from a motorcycling background and wanted to use MTB to get into shape and train, as there are a lot of skills that cross over for off road riding. Living in NC, we've got some fantastic off road motorcycling trails here, along with some of the best for MTB. Why not dabble in both?

I've personally watched VS acquire up sailing forums, archery forums, and motorcycle forums that I post(ed) on. It was never a great outcome for any of them. Ad presence went up, and moderator interaction went down. Viewership took a plunge on a few of those forums due to intrusive ads. VS has been trying to buy out another community that I post in for years.. Thankfully the owners there know what they've got, and value the community more than the paycheck.

Jun 2018
    Thanks for reporting this.
    -Philip

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoker View Post
    Full suspension bike for sell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ED59591-BD0A-451F-BDD0-1C62F45E087F.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	125.6 KB 
ID:	1205477

mtbr member
    If this announcement was never posted you likely would not even have been able to tell I was from VS.
    -Philip

I don't know about that. I think the green horns and pink tail gave you away.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Jun 2018

-Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I don't know about that. I think the green horns and pink tail gave you away.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Something that I would like to see would be a sub-forum related to innovative thinking

A place to go or post and see how others have redirected the application something.

How to make something cheaper than you can buy it.

Out of the 'box' custom frame thinking...and why.

Experiments with off the wall ideas for entertainment and who knows...some knowledge?

MacGyver bike skills...survival skills.

Derailleur protection possibilites.

How to reduce the noise of a Rohloff.

Any daft wacked out ideas...a stab in the dark...to solve some concern. Someone just might provide something to make that idea worthwhile in a limited application; if just once.

What say ye? Too daft to be workable?
    "Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Not helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    What about Pete.
    This makes me laugh every time.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Help please!

.......I will be taking a look a the flow of things with the mod team over the next few weeks and do appreciate everyone's feedback so please keep it coming.
    -Philip
    Hi Philip,

I haven't received email notifications of other posts to threads I've started or shared in since August of 2017. I got one admin telling me the problem isn't on your end and I should check my spam folder. I did and "mtbr.com" is noted as "always allow" so that isn't the issue. However, when I reported that info back to the admin I never heard from him again.

Any help you can provide to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance....

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

You can judge for your self if these communities are that bad when you look at the list of sites he mentioned. I do suggest actually registering and viewing the site like a regular user and not a guest. If you have a problem with anything I do you are welcome to discuss it with me. So far I have been open to hearing everyone's requests on how to make the time they spend on MTBR better for them.
    -Philip
    Nah, too much work for me and not enough time. I’ll just sit back and enjoy this site and watch for changes, any new change that jumps out as worthy of discussing I’ll hit you up. BTW I shouldn’t have even replied to his troll post.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SADDLE TRAMP View Post

What say ye? Too daft to be workable?
    Sounds like it would be a great place to lurk and steal ideas for patents so someone can then sell the most workable ideas for a tidy profit.

Would also be a great place to learn how to kill yourself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use that "New Post" button also. My real problem with the ebike mess is that it seems like 50% of the posts are somehow an ebike argument. Quite literally, I sometimes just click away to other far away places when I don't feel like trying to figure out where all the BS is.

This thread is case and point. The "e discussion" is quite a bit like a disease you can't really get rid of. I'm a little disappointed that the new owners were so quick to already state that that mess will stay.

Oh well, not my monkeys ... not my zoo.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I use that "New Post" button also. My real problem with the ebike mess is that it seems like 50% of the posts are somehow an ebike argument. Quite literally, I sometimes just click away to other far away places when I don't feel like trying to figure out where all the BS is.

This thread is case and point. The "e discussion" is quite a bit like a disease you can't really get rid of. I'm a little disappointed that the new owners were so quick to already state that that mess will stay.

Maybe the new owners will see that the e-bikes need their own forums and get it off of here. Makes the most sense but we will see.
    Hadley hubs for sale

Upcyclist
    Hello Philip, welcome to the peanut gallery!

I just scolded DJ for quoting an image I posted just to add a silly comment, now there's two of those images and his silly comment. I've seen on other forums where the quoted image will be collapsed so you don't get ten of the same image in a thread because people are too lazy to edit them out, it really clutters up threads. Is there any chance to get that feature set up here?
    Cool heads prevail

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Hello Philip, welcome to the peanut gallery!

I just scolded DJ for quoting an image I posted just to add a silly comment, now there's two of those images and his silly comment. I've seen on other forums where the quoted image will be collapsed so you don't get ten of the same image in a thread because people are too lazy to edit them out, it really clutters up threads. Is there any chance to get that feature set up here?
    No.. too complicated.

Philip

Next question.

Upcyclist
    ...too complicated.
    No it isn't.
    Cool heads prevail

Name:  2C75F1BE-F861-4A61-9F8D-503EC658D7FD.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  11.4 KBNo it isn't.
    It really bothers you when someone quotes a photo post?

Upcyclist
    It really bothers you when someone quotes a photo post?
    When you go look at "Did you ride today" type threads and you get ten people quoting the same picture, so you have to scroll past the same picture ten moar times, it's annoying AF. It's disregard for visual neatness, makes the place look cluttered and trashy. I can see quoting a picture from a ways back in a thread, or singling out one af many in a post to comment on, but not one right above your reply.
    Cool heads prevail

When you go look at "Did you ride today" type threads and you get ten people quoting the same picture, so you have to scroll past the same picture ten moar times, it's annoying AF. It's disregard for visual neatness, makes the place look cluttered and trashy. I can see quoting a picture from a ways back in a thread, or singling out one af many in a post to comment on, but not one right above your reply.
    Hmmm . . . doesn’t bother me. Many do it though, I think it’s easier for the person who originally posted the photo to skim along and find a reply to his or her post. Besides you might see something in the photo you missed the first time around.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Actually glad someone mentioned that, it bugs the crap out of me when someone quotes an entire post (especially if it contains a bunch of pics) only to make a completely unrelated one line comment that you have to scroll through pages of quoted pics to get to. So yeah, anything to help clean up after the lazy people would be great.

Speaking of pics, pics posted via BBCode tags get resized to a ridiculously small size. This is not the case on many other forums I use. I host all my pics on another site and use BBCode to post them here, I don't need an easier way to post pictures, I just want to be able to post them via BBCode and not have them resized. The horizontal limit appears to be 550 pixels. I resize my externally hosted photos to 800 px in the long dimension. When I post here, this means that landscape pics get resized to the same width as portrait pics, which really makes trip report posts with pics look... lame.

Example pic, should be 800 px wide but displays here as 550 px wide:

Here's the actual BBCode (I wrapped it in [PHP] tags, couldn't see any other way to get the BBCode to show up w/o actually trying to display the picture):

PHP Code:
    [URL=https://s168.photobucket.com/user/jwintermyre/media/Misc_MtnBike/IMG_4511.jpg.html][IMG]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u164/jwintermyre/Misc_MtnBike/IMG_4511.jpg[/IMG][/URL] 
    There was actually a thread about this issue on the Site Feedback forum here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedbac...s-1067470.html

Ironically, the initial post apparently got screwed up by a virus so no longer shows the issue.

mtbr member
    This thread rules - thanks to whoever shared it on Norcal!

And while I'm in the neighborhood:

Can we have an anti-antiEbikers forum where Ebiker enthusiasts talk sh!t about anti-Ebikers? - I personally don't ride bicycles, but that sounds like fun!

Cycologist
    Hmmm . . . doesn’t bother me. Many do it though, I think it’s easier for the person who originally posted the photo to skim along and find a reply to his or her post. Besides you might see something in the photo you missed the first time around.
    Like a coyote? We may have to quote that post (and not edit out the image) a LOT more times.

Like a coyote? We may have to quote that post (and not edit out the image) a LOT more times.
    That may have been Urban Legend, it’s never been proven yay or nay.

mtbr member
    Seriously. Though this is a bicycle forum, many (most?) don't seem to know the difference between "pedal" and "peddle." Tsk, tsk. This is just the tip... the iceberg is huge.
    =sParty
    Affirmation! At last! Thank you, Sparticus!

Cycologist
    ^^^ oops, and can we have the multi-post turn off once you use it?

^^^ oops, and can we have the multi-post turn off once you use it?
    This ^

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mr pig View Post
    the fact that cycling has historically always been a human-powered endeavor is fundamental to its appeal.
    this!

mtbr member
    Like that saying, I may steal that ;0)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    ^^^ Actually glad someone mentioned that, it bugs the crap out of me when someone quotes an entire post (especially if it contains a bunch of pics) only to make a completely unrelated one line comment that you have to scroll through pages of quoted pics to get to. So yeah, anything to help clean up after the lazy people would be great.

Speaking of pics, pics posted via BBCode tags get resized to a ridiculously small size. This is not the case on many other forums I use. I host all my pics on another site and use BBCode to post them here, I don't need an easier way to post pictures, I just want to be able to post them via BBCode and not have them resized. The horizontal limit appears to be 550 pixels. I resize my externally hosted photos to 800 px in the long dimension. When I post here, this means that landscape pics get resized to the same width as portrait pics, which really makes trip report posts with pics look... lame.

Example pic, should be 800 px wide but displays here as 550 px wide:

Here's the actual BBCode (I wrapped it in [PHP] tags, couldn't see any other way to get the BBCode to show up w/o actually trying to display the picture):

PHP Code:
    [URL=https://s168.photobucket.com/user/jwintermyre/media/Misc_MtnBike/IMG_4511.jpg.html][IMG]https://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u164/jwintermyre/Misc_MtnBike/IMG_4511.jpg[/IMG][/URL] 
    There was actually a thread about this issue on the Site Feedback forum here:
    https://forums.mtbr.com/site-feedbac...s-1067470.html

Ironically, the initial post apparently got screwed up by a virus so no longer shows the issue.
    I get why the image sizing limit was installed. It was just done in a lazy way that sucks. I remember when there wasn't an image size limit, and people posting REALLY large images blew out the site layout. Especially on those photo threads. One bad post would wreck the entire thread, because the buttons to reply to the post would be off the page, and no scroll bars available to retrieve them. It was a mess. But the current solution is a hack that wrecks images. It sizes UP small images, too. I used to use HTML embeds when those were permitted, and IIRC, those weren't subject to resizing.

Bikesexual
    I always forget to un-check it!
    This ^
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I always forget to un-check it!

Yep, and when you’ve had multiple quotes it’s a MAJOR PITA to go back and uncheck them. Of course you don’t realize it until the next time you post in that thread and there’s multiple quotes added to your new post that make zero sense. And by the time you notice it and go back in to edit them out someone has caught it and commented. Then it’s a multiple of members jumping in on something they are in the dark about because you’ve already went back in and deleted the quotes. The next thing you know you find yourself explaining where the error occurred. Of course by that time there’s akteady 5 members confused as $&@t about it.

Did I mention it’s a PITA?

mtbr member
    First world problems eh?

Upcyclist
    If only there was a way to check your posts before you hit the Submit Reply button...
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My mom isn't into quips, and usually is very quiet. One thing she did say a few times when I was a kid was "not my monkeys ... not my zoo". It was usually uttered when nearby kids were going bonkers, but she didn't feel she needed to intervene because it didn't appear anyone was going to die. It is her way to letting those around her know that she could see the ridiculousness of what was happening and wasn't oblivious. Oddly, as her kids we were offered no such leeway to act up.

My mom really had it wrong, and there is a saying "not my circus, not my monkeys" that is allegedly a polish proverb. I guess my mom isn't into quips because she can't get them right.

I still like to think of that phrase and how she handles poo fights like the incessant ones that pop up nearly every day about ebikes. It really has very little impact on me, and it does not appear that anyone is going to die but I'm not oblivious to it either.

But how about SRAM brakes Mr Pig? I'm not so sure someone isn't going to die ... poke.

mtbr member
    But how about SRAM brakes Mr Pig? I'm not so sure someone isn't going to die ... poke.
    I assume people have been hurt by locking up SRAM brakes, we just haven't heard about it. My friend's brakes locked up so badly the wheels would hardly turn.

If only there was a way to check your posts before you hit the Submit Reply button...
    The multiple post replies don’t fall off until you manually uncheck each post you quoted. It should automatically turn off once you make that post.

mtbr member
    I you are using the "Go Advanced" option it gives you the option to preview your post before submitting the post. If you're not using "Go Advanced" then start using it so you can preview your post.
    Change begins by doing something different.

Rabid Lana fan
    woosh
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    I you are using the "Go Advanced" option it gives you the option to preview your post before submitting the post. If you're not using "Go Advanced" then start using it so you can preview your post.
    I think there was sarcasm on that post by Korn.

The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

EAT MORE GRIME

mtbr member
    I you are using the "Go Advanced" option...
    This strike you as a user group who would consider the 'advanced' option?

Upcyclist
    The multiple post replies don’t fall off until you manually uncheck each post you quoted. It should automatically turn off once you make that post.
    It's really easy to see how your post is going to look by hitting the Preview button before posting, which should show you the previous quotes are still there. I only browse the forum on my desktop, so I don't know how it is on a phone, but I would imagine it's not too hard to go back and edit.

Now it might be a PITA if you abuse the quote function and quote like 10-20 posts in one thread.

Thanks Huck!

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    woosh
    Sounds you like...

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I think there was sarcasm on that post by Korn.
    I'm going to see if I can recreate the lingering checked multi-quotes here, this is all going as planned!
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    Great example for this being teh suck. Say you post something in a thread using multi quote. Then you come back a few days later and reply to someone else, forgetting entirely about the multi quote days before. You type your response and submit. Now your post contains a quote from not just what you replied to that day, but also everything you multi quoted days before.

It is a pain in the ass to manually have to deselect each previously quoted post before quoting someone else. No other forum I have ever posted in requires this.

Upcyclist
    It is a pain in the ass to manually have to deselect each previously quoted post before quoting someone else. No other forum I have ever posted in requires this.
    Testing: I'm not seeing any additional quotes in preview mode, let's see if there's anything after I hit submit.

No quotes other than Harold's, so this issue must be a phone or tablet thing, maybe thru Tapatalk?

I will say that it's happened to me once or twice a long time ago.
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    What browser are you using? It happens for me on chrome in windows.
    Testing: I'm not seeing any additional quotes in preview mode, let's see if there's anything after I hit submit.

Upcyclist
    What browser are you using? It happens for me on chrome in windows.
    Firefox.

I've noticed that you guys on Tapatalk's quotes are showing up with the quote below your reply, been that way for a few months I think.
    Cool heads prevail

since 4/10/2009
    It's really easy to see how your post is going to look by hitting the Preview button before posting, which should show you the previous quotes are still there. I only browse the forum on my desktop, so I don't know how it is on a phone, but I would imagine it's not too hard to go back and edit.

Now it might be a PITA if you abuse the quote function and quote like 10-20 posts in one thread.

Thanks Huck!

Sounds you like...

I'm going to see if I can recreate the lingering checked multi-quotes here, this is all going as planned!

No quotes other than Harold's, so this issue must be a phone or tablet thing, maybe thru Tapatalk?

I will say that it's happened to me once or twice a long time ago.
    Firefox.

I've noticed that you guys on Tapatalk's quotes are showing up with the quote below your reply, been that way for a few months I think.
    The cursor starts above the quote, but you can move it

mtbr member
    MTBR would be better if it didn't censor profanity.
    Ya bastard!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast