mtbr member
    May 2008

American Bunny Hop Timing and getting more air on jumps

I recently switched to flats and am working on better bike control, especially with getting the wheels off the ground (jumps, bunny hops, wheelies and manuals, endos). I saw this video (https://youtu.be/CLutgpYeec8) which recommends a "pop (wheelie), pause (manual), and pop (launch rear tire) technique and feel good with the initial wheelie, pause, but feel like I canít get the second pop from the manual position. Similarly, I feel fine with English bunny hops with flats but my timing is off with American bunny hops. Iíve never worked on it and have bad habits especially with clipless for many years. Trails have been closed for a while so I've just been practicing on my street. I should try to set up a video so I can see how bad it looks

Any specific recommendations or in general?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Bunnyís hop differently on opposite sides of the pond?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    American Bunny hop = front wheel up first, then back wheel up
    English Bunny hop = both wheels up at same time (they also talk funny)

https://youtu.be/Y2CT524K49I

mtbr member
    Name:  african-or-european.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  27.9 KB

My little friends
    Blimey! I never knew i was a bloody Brit!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just watched this too which has good troubleshooting tips - https://youtu.be/ee_3lWwrxpE

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    When I was first getting into BMX we called them a sky hop (American) and a bunny hop (English). Looking back I think one of the kids at my school must have just made that up...

Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post

Huh, I grew up in the states and never left. My bunny hop is and always has been the English version. Whodathunk there was a difference and how did I end up learning it wrong?

Actually I use both versions depending on the situation. Up and over an obstacle, rock or log I go American version. Front tire first. Bunny hopping over something, like a rattlesnake or pile of horse or dog crap I go English version. Both tires at the same time.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    FWIW - I feel that the method to lift the rear wheel differs between:
    a) Doing a bunny hop, especially at low speeds,
    versus
    b) Doing a jump off a ramped surface, especially at higher speeds.

For bunny jumps I do have to scoop the rear up with my pedals.
    For higher speed jumps, I use the suspension to do the work.
    It's more of a timing thing - when to pre-load (push down) the suspension, so that the rebound unloads the suspension when the rear wheel is at the edge of the ramp.

mtbr member
    That's a bunnyhop. Doing it any other way is called "sloppy." There's only one way to do a bunnyhop, and if you disagree, you are factually wrong. I will fight you.

mbtr member
    Learn to bump jump and use it all the time. It forces you to wait until the rear wheel has reached the point where the front wheel left the ground. A bunny hop is just a bump jump with no obstacle to bump, you just press in to the ground.

"Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    That's a bunnyhop. Doing it any other way is called "sloppy." There's only one way to do a bunnyhop, and if you disagree, you are factually wrong. I will fight you.
    The English version sounds more like a startled cat launch.
    A plateau is the highest form of flattery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    You are mixing too many things at once. Learn how to do the American bunny hop (yes the guys at GMBN call it that) first. Other stuffs (jump) will come later naturally.

I recently switched to flats and am working on better bike control, especially with getting the wheels off the ground (jumps, bunny hops, wheelies and manuals, endos). I saw this video (https://youtu.be/CLutgpYeec8) which recommends a "pop (wheelie), pause (manual), and pop (launch rear tire) technique and feel good with the initial wheelie, pause, but feel like I canít get the second pop from the manual position. Similarly, I feel fine with English bunny hops with flats but my timing is off with American bunny hops. Iíve never worked on it and have bad habits especially with clipless for many years. Trails have been closed for a while so I've just been practicing on my street. I should try to set up a video so I can see how bad it looks

Any specific recommendations or in general?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    When I was first getting into BMX we called them a sky hop (American) and a bunny hop (English). Looking back I think one of the kids at my school must have just made that up...
    For some reason the term sky hop sounds vaguely familiar from my BMX days. When I was racing BMX as a kid we called them wheelie hops. Don't know if anybody else used that term, or was something we just used locally.

I've heard BMXers also call it a J-hop. To me, the term "bunny hop" has always meant a wheels level hop.

Anyway, whatever you want to call it, lifting the front wheel first is a far superior technique to the old wheels level bunny hop. A lot more forgiving if you don't clear the obstacle. With the English bunny hop, if you don't get enough height, there is a good chance you are going over the bars, whereas you have to case it pretty hard with the rear wheel to go OTB.

The other key difference is that the English bunny hop lacks the weight transfer that allows you to gain a lot more height.

The other advantage is that the front wheel lift technique is a skill that directly translates into manuals (over obstacles or off drops), jumping, bump jumping, and getting up onto/over much large obstacles (a.ka. punches).

Can't think of any other application that the English bunny hop translate to.

Oh, and the front wheel lift also makes it easier change direction in mid air to set up for a corner directly after the obstacle you are hopping, which isn't something easily done with the wheels level.
    No dig no whine

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There's really no need to differentiate between types of bunny hops. They are all the same, you just lift the front or back wheel higher/lower for different purposes.

Lift front wheel to get up and over a tall obstacle. Lift both evenly to quickly hop over snakes and beer cans. Lift the back wheel higher before diving down steep sections of trails.

I just checked some slow motion videos of actual bunnies hopping. All cyclists are doing it wrong anyways. Idiots.

Sneaker man
    To me,
    Bunnyhop, both wheels off the ground at the same time - good for clearing small obstacles at speed, ditches, swapping sides of ruts or dropping off small things
    Kangaroo hop, front wheel first then the rear (because it's like a kangaroo...hop) - good for getting over big things or up stuff...
    All the gear and no idea.

Mudhorse
    Paging Harold... Calling Harold to the thread...

Until Harold gets here with some definitive terminology I can pass on something I learned from him recently, in that in professional coaching circles the American Bunny Hop is now called the Bunny Hop, and the English Bunny Hop is now called the Level Lift. Trials legend Martyn Ashton said they used to call the ABH the Donkey Kick back in the day; dunno whether that refers to the whole thing or just the rear wheel lift but it is nice and descriptive.

Dusty Betty of this parish has produced a tutorial that has helped me enormously with my ABH timing:

Timing the rear wheel lift is one of the bits I have trouble with (along with the meerkat thing). I find bump jumps much easier, even if they do feel like cheating.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    As long as my wheels clear the obstacle it doesn't matter to me how it's accomplished.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    As long as my wheels clear the obstacle it doesn't matter to me how it's accomplished.
    I see your point, but what if I need to clear an unexpected porcupine? Neither the porcupine nor my front tyre would appreciate a bump jump.

I was watching one of respected trials bod Ali Clarkson's YouTubes the other day, in which he was talking about poor techniques. The one that stuck with me is the unfortunately named B!tch Kick, which is where the front wheel is lifted by a pedal kick instead of the proper technique of bodyweight distribution. I realised I rely on BKs all the time... I am shame
    Ali did say his friend Danny MacAskill uses the BK from time to time, which is fine because he's Danny MacAskill. In my book if you're Danny MacAskill you've earned the right to use whatever move you see fit, but I'm not so I've clearly got some work to do.

Word, just another thing to argue about in mtbr land.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    Paging Harold... Calling Harold to the thread...
    Howdy

accepted industry language does not make the "regional" distinctions.

A bunny hop is one wheel at a time.
    A level lift is both at the same time.

A bunny hop requires a lot more upper body involvement than you think. Take Ryan Leech's online course on the subject.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Humpy View Post
    There's really no need to differentiate between types of bunny hops. They are all the same, you just lift the front or back wheel higher/lower for different purposes.
    There actually is a need to differentiate. Sure, the end result looks like there's not much distinction, but a level lift is a much simpler skill than a bunny hop. A bunny hop involves linking a number of different moves together quickly and powerfully. When trying to learn these skills, the distinction matters because the body movements ARE different and the timing is absolutely different.

This is the whole point of language, no? to share ideas. you cannot effectively share different ideas unless your language is able to make distinctions between them.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    In my book if you're Danny MacAskill you've earned the right to use whatever move you see fit, but I'm not so I've clearly got some work to do.
    This is mountain biking. Everyone has that right. Unless you're on a pro team and your coach is giving you shit, do what works. If it's not working or not working as well as you'd like and you want to improve that's one thing, but because a youtuber (even a credentialed one) told you it was wrong doesn't mean anything.

since 4/10/2009
    I see your point, but what if I need to clear an unexpected porcupine? Neither the porcupine nor my front tyre would appreciate a bump jump.

I was watching one of respected trials bod Ali Clarkson's YouTubes the other day, in which he was talking about poor techniques. The one that stuck with me is the unfortunately named B!tch Kick, which is where the front wheel is lifted by a pedal kick instead of the proper technique of bodyweight distribution. I realised I rely on BKs all the time... I am shame
    Ali did say his friend Danny MacAskill uses the BK from time to time, which is fine because he's Danny MacAskill. In my book if you're Danny MacAskill you've earned the right to use whatever move you see fit, but I'm not so I've clearly got some work to do.
    Dude was just being a d!ck. That move is an accepted method to get your front wheel in the air under certain circumstances. It's called a "pedal punch" in the instruction industry. It's one of many ways to get your front wheel in the air. It's not something you'll want to use in every case, but in some cases (esp in mtb), it's the preferred method. I tend to use it most when I'm climbing something fairly steep and I need to get my front wheel over a root or a rock and where other ways of raising the front end of the bike make it more difficult to prevent looping out or losing control.

Pro Crastinator
    ....I will fight you.
    i'll go out blazing with you. semantics aside, a bunny hop is manually jumping your bike (front wheel first or not) with your body without the assistance of another object other than your bike. there is no right or wrong. if your bike came off the ground this way, you bunnyhopped...

mtbr member
    A bump jump isn't a bunnyhop though, I would choose bunnyhop for a porcupine encounter.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Who gives a rats (,) what you call it. Learn the different skills and techniques use them appropriately on the trail and enjoy the ride.

Next argument we havenít covered:

Nat
    mtbr member
    A bump jump isn't a bunnyhop though, I would choose bunnyhop for a porcupine encounter.
    Bump-jumping a porcupine probably wouldn't go well.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    This is mountain biking. Everyone has that right. Unless you're on a pro team and your coach is giving you shit, do what works. If it's not working or not working as well as you'd like and you want to improve that's one thing, but because a youtuber (even a credentialed one) told you it was wrong doesn't mean anything.
    For sure we all have the right to make our own judgement calls, but it's still good to use a decent technique. A couple of examples from my own craptitude:

1) Clearing a log one time on an uphill trail I lifted the front wheel up with a pedal kick - as I'd done many times before on the same log - except this time my chain snapped, sending me OTB and snapping off my bottle cage with my gonads along the way. Now I'd safely pump over the same log, except that it's long since rotted away so who's laughing now, eh log?

2) Despite my time-trialling roadie background I've never been taught to spin properly. This wasn't so much of a problem with toeclips on the road bike and clipless on the MTB as while one foot was pushing down the other would be pulling up (still a sloppy technique, I should add), but when I switched to flats after an SPD-induced leg breakage I found I was a natural masher. It's taken me a long time to overcome the instinct to mash and spin instead and I wished I'd worked this out years ago because by spinning I can go faster for longer for the same amount of energy expended, so more fun-per-joule. I'm not even that good at spinning either - if I was I could pedal with one leg, and I can't - but even my poor spinning technique beats mashing every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Depending on height of the bunnyhop. Pretty docile creatures that donít throw their quills like Urban Legend would like you to you believe.

mtbr member
    Best check your sealant level first.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Rides all the bikes!
    I don't care what you call it. I only use one method for lifting the wheels of my bike and it involves using the weight of your hips. Back to manual, front to lift the rear. The same basic technique is used for just about every obstacle.

I do not, ever, use my feet to lift the bike unless I'm goofing off. Even clipped in to my road bike I hop with the same method as my mountain bike with flats, I just get less elevation.

Pro Crastinator
    proper bunnyhop...

American Bunny Hop Timing and getting more air on jumps-cow3kitty.jpg

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Dude was just being a d!ck. That move is an accepted method to get your front wheel in the air under certain circumstances. It's called a "pedal punch" in the instruction industry. It's one of many ways to get your front wheel in the air. It's not something you'll want to use in every case, but in some cases (esp in mtb), it's the preferred method. I tend to use it most when I'm climbing something fairly steep and I need to get my front wheel over a root or a rock and where other ways of raising the front end of the bike make it more difficult to prevent looping out or losing control.
    Nah, he's sound is Ali Clarkson; might be Sam Pilgrim you're thinking of. To be fair he was talking about trials riding techniques, and though I'm not a trials rider I do like to steal some of their tricks for my own evil ends.
    I know what you mean - it's not best practice to try and manual over a root on a steep uphill, whereas in the same situation it doesn't take much of a pedal kick to safely clear the same obstacle. Even on the flat a pedal kick will get you out of trouble when confronted with an unexpected obstacle when there's no time for a pump or a manual. I've been known to just yank up on the bars to get me out of trouble - a shoddy move that I wouldn't need if I'd maybe read the trail a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    proper bunnyhop...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cow3kitty.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1183154
    Lol
    You stole my photo. Aqua hucking a cow at BLT circa 2004.

Pro Crastinator
    infamous thread is infamous...

Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    infamous thread is infamous...
    True, just memories of riding with Aqua on that same trail. I never saw HK up there though. I wasnít there on that day.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    For sure we all have the right to make our own judgement calls, but it's still good to use a decent technique. A couple of examples from my own craptitude:

1) Clearing a log one time on an uphill trail I lifted the front wheel up with a pedal kick - as I'd done many times before on the same log - except this time my chain snapped, sending me OTB and snapping off my bottle cage with my gonads along the way. Now I'd safely pump over the same log, except that it's long since rotted away so who's laughing now, eh log?

2) Despite my time-trialling roadie background I've never been taught to spin properly. This wasn't so much of a problem with toeclips on the road bike and clipless on the MTB as while one foot was pushing down the other would be pulling up (still a sloppy technique, I should add), but when I switched to flats after an SPD-induced leg breakage I found I was a natural masher. It's taken me a long time to overcome the instinct to mash and spin instead and I wished I'd worked this out years ago because by spinning I can go faster for longer for the same amount of energy expended, so more fun-per-joule. I'm not even that good at spinning either - if I was I could pedal with one leg, and I can't - but even my poor spinning technique beats mashing every time.
    So just as I said, you realized those methods weren't working well for you and adjusted... Not watched a Youtube video and thought 'for shame, I'll never do that again.'

I'm not discounting proper technique, but unless you spend the money on a real instructor I think everyone's opinion is just that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Lol
    You stole my photo. Aqua hucking a cow at BLT circa 2004.
    That cat tho. So much more air than DJ got.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Take Ryan Leech's online course on the subject.
    you see, the Canadian Bunny Hop is better
    best of both worlds

in professional Canadian coaching circles, the different terms have been bunny hop and level lift for over 25 years

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    you see, the Canadian Bunny Hop is better
    best of both worlds

in professional Canadian coaching circles, it has been bunny hop and level lift for over 25 years
    AFAIK, all coaching cert orgs around the world are using that same language now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    That cat tho. So much more air than DJ got.
    Thatís not me itís an old friend.

mtbr member
    And in Soviet Russia, bunny hops you!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I could be wrong, but I think you are not engaging your upper body enough at the point you mention. I had to really focus on pulling/swinging up the bike past my body with my hands to get past the point you mention.

With that said, I kinda have the same problem just a little later. I can get a nice high manual position, can launch the rear wheel up maybe 12" on a good day, BUT I know there is more. I am fighting something and I know is all timing...just cant get it right. I think that I am trying to punch too much off of my feet. Also, I loose almost all of my forward momentum when trying do a completely clean (not bump) BH and so unless I am hauling, my rear rarely clears things like logs. I then battle not OTB'g as my front wheel pivots down hard. Help Mr Wizard...how did you learn to keep or improve your forward moment on a ABH?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommybees View Post
    I loose almost all of my forward momentum when trying do a completely clean (not bump) BH and so unless I am hauling, my rear rarely clears things like logs. I then battle not OTB'g as my front wheel pivots down hard. Help Mr Wizard...how did you learn to keep or improve your forward moment on a ABH?
    I've been cought at this level for many months as well. It translates to clearing doubles too. The timing involved to get the bike higher and fly longer seems mystical. Not sure why finding the correct method is so elusive.
    Last edited by jim c; 02-16-2018 at 02:38 PM.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Nat
    mtbr member
    If you want to get more height try taking the 2 pound rear rack off your bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    ha that's great Nat
    I haven't done any bikepacking in too long, use to live in Reno/Tahoe. All my bike time these days is in parks as I live in metro south Florida. Very limited miles but awesome quality. As to weight; my current bike is one of those overbuilt Trail bikes. 7lb frame makes for a (kind of) heavy ride @30lbs. Kona however, has it dialed so it Rides Great and Flies Straight.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

I heard Backcountry Research is working on a bunny hop specific Awesome Strap. Word on the street is, it should be available mid summer of 2018. Spy photos revealed itís made out of some kind of space age astronaut material. Lightweight yet surprisingly strong with an extra piggyback Strap to carry a PB&J sammage.

Barely in control
    Bunny hop with flats - Front wheel goes up, jump off the pedals with the back wheel on the ground, now pull the bike up, rear wheel rotates around the center of mass off the ground.

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Bunny hop with flats - Front wheel goes up, jump off the pedals with the back wheel on the ground, now pull the bike up, rear wheel rotates around the center of mass off the ground.
    Jump off the pedals?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    There's no need to leave the pedals in any kind of bunny hop. The kind of thing you're talking about will happen with your feet on the pedals, too, with the right upper body motion. It's also a combination of upwards AND forwards push on the handlebars to initiate that pivot. The more powerful the upper body portion is, the more height you'll get.

Barely in control
    Thrust from the pedals. Feet don't leave the pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Doing it any other way is called "sloppy."
    I believe the technical term is "shithop".

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Make a Hop-o-meter and practice practice practice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iíd say from the pictures that your butt doesnít need to go as far back and down as it would in a manual, you just need you front wheel up high enough and then ďmeerkatĒ (3rd and 4th picture, note pointed toes). From there suck your legs up until your seat hits you. Then prepare for landing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Nah, he's sound is Ali Clarkson; might be Sam Pilgrim you're thinking of. To be fair he was talking about trials riding techniques, and though I'm not a trials rider I do like to steal some of their tricks for my own evil ends. I know what you mean - it's not best practice to try and manual over a root on a steep uphill, whereas in the same situation it doesn't take much of a pedal kick to safely clear the same obstacle. Even on the flat a pedal kick will get you out of trouble when confronted with an unexpected obstacle when there's no time for a pump or a manual. I've been known to just yank up on the bars to get me out of trouble - a shoddy move that I wouldn't need if I'd maybe read the trail a bit better.
    It is Ali Clarkson, and he is talking about trials riding, and he stresses that in his style, he prefers things to look a certain way, and he doesn't like to take short cuts. He recommends that you keep practicing things (again for trials type riding) rather than take shortcuts to make it easier. If I recall correctly he was talking about "bitch cranks" when riding a manual and you start to lose speed. He prefers to try again and carry more momentum rather than bitch crank to save the trick I believe. He points out how his friends (and awesome world class riders) do bitch crank from time to time and it's fine, he just prefers to do it a different way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Learn to rip a pump track and you will have it all figured out. The End.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.cvanwinkle View Post
    ^^^This is very telling.
    I gotta go practice!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The hop-o-meter is my new favorite tool for sure

mtbr member
    That move is an accepted method to get your front wheel in the air under certain circumstances. It's called a "pedal punch" in the instruction industry.
    I swear everything that you post is wrong. Where are you getting this stuff? Do you instruct out of a bike manual from like 1987? Have you ever ridden with pro level riders?

Level lift. Pedal punch. No one in the real world says this.

A bunny hop is the generic term for any way in which you hop both tires off the ground. There are three varieties with various terms. 1) Both wheels off the ground at the same time = shitty bunny hop. 2) Manual to hop = bunnyhop/j-hop/american bunny hop/etc. 3) wheelie to hop = dropping in with style.

Learn 1) first. Get comfortable with it. Try to get it 3 or 4 inches high. Then try 3) next. On an uphill pull a half-crank wheelie over and over. Get comfortable getting the wheel way up and your body vertical. Then once you're at peak wheelie try to pop off the back tire. Once you can hop off the rear tire, try 2). Do a small manual toward a small obstacle and then hop off the rear wheel. Got over a curb. Go faster. Go bigger. Find incrementally higher walls to jump up.

The trick to a big bunny hop is getting your bike and body as vertical as possible, pulling the bars into your hips, jumping, and then the tuck. Watch some slow mo trials or bmx guys. Don't stress. Just practice. It takes years.

The bunny hop is not an up. It is a back and forward.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Here we go again...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Seriously though Tealy, heart felt thanks for risking a pedal punch straight to the nuts by Harold or numerous others, so that all of us noobs could finally be set straight on bunny hop nomenclature and technique, defective brake lever design and numerous other things that we have apparently been screwed up about for decades.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    mtbrmike is funny
    oops I wasn't clipped in

Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    mtbrmike is funny
    He made funny.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    Seriously though Tealy, heart felt thanks for risking a pedal punch straight to the nuts by Harold or numerous others, so that all of us noobs could finally be set straight on bunny hop nomenclature and technique, defective brake lever design and numerous other things that we have apparently been screwed up about for decades.
    Oh, is he trying to insult me again?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Iíd say from the pictures that your butt doesnít need to go as far back and down as it would in a manual
    From the pictures it looks like he isn't shifting his weight back at all. He is launching the front wheel into the air with sheer upper body strength. If he pushes any harder he might pinch-flat his front tire (see photo 1).

Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    The bunny hop is not an up. It is a back and forward.
    Seems to be about an even split on the instructional videos. The tall ones go back and forward, the hulks go straight up.
    Neither way works for me.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by andytiedye View Post
    From the pictures it looks like he isn't shifting his weight back at all. He is launching the front wheel into the air with sheer upper body strength. If he pushes any harder he might pinch-flat his front tire (see photo 1).
    You may want to note the fork travel position in pic 1.

Also: Belly button is approximate COG--right over BB in pic 3.

It may look like taller guys go more forward and back, but they're taller so their heads move farther, it's just easier to see.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You may want to note the fork travel position in pic 1.
    Yep, totally squashed.
    Also: Belly button is approximate COG--right over BB in pic 3.
    As it is in all 3 pictures. No significant weight shifting here.
    It may look like taller guys go more forward and back, but they're taller so their heads move farther...
    So does the rest of their bodies. Weight shifting is much more effective.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yep, totally squashed.

So does the rest of their bodies. Weight shifting is much more effective.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    If you look closely at the angle of my arms to my torso, I am shifting my weight.
    Pic 1-preload
    Pic 2- weight back (short stocky arms make this look less obvious)
    Pic 3- bars to hips (meerkat)

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    According to Phil in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee_3lWwrxpE&t=3s you should be able to get even more height (than you already have) by correcting a couple things: lower the chest during compression and shove the bike forward so that your rear is behind the seat at the apex. Watch the third guy in the video, his form is similar to yours.

I'm just a guy who watches a bunch of youtube videos so feel free to ignore my post.

If you look closely at the angle of my arms to my torso, I am shifting my weight.
    Pic 1-preload
    Pic 2- weight back (short stocky arms make this look less obvious)
    Pic 3- bars to hips (meerkat)

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby_rider View Post
    According to Phil in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee_3lWwrxpE&t=3s you should be able to get even more height (than you already have) by correcting a couple things: lower the chest during compression and shove the bike forward so that your rear is behind the seat at the apex. Watch the third guy in the video, his form is similar to yours.

I'm just a guy who watches a bunch of youtube videos so feel free to ignore my post.
    You are absolutely right, I have been thinking about that as well. I need to focus on getting my butt behind the seat. A lower chest and body altogether would likely also help. Thatís why I love the hop-o-meter, just record yourself and you can really break down what you need to work on.
    Thanks for the input.

Flappity flappity flap
    Looks significant to me.

Could be more, sure, go watch some slope style.