Am I screwed?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Am I screwed?

mtbr member

Am I screwed?

Hello all,

I purchased a brand new bike Giant bike from a Giant dealer, on April 6th, 2019 and yesterday April 24, 2019 I visited the Giant website and noticed the same bike MSRP dropped by 15% ($460 off)! So Iím wondering if any of you guys had any experience in price protection?

Does Giant offer something like this? I notice that their policies show 100% satisfaction guarantee but are the authorized dealer shops held to the same standards ? I havenít spoken to the shop yet, just gathering some facts but what are you thoughts on this matter?

Canít believe it dropped that much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SS Pusher Man
    Take that info back to the Giant dealer and have them adjust the price.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Nat
    mtbr member
    Talk to the bike shop. They might just refund the difference since it's only been a couple of weeks. A lot of retailers will do so up to 30 days so your best shot is to do it now.

Up In Smoke
    If they do take care of you, be sure to spend a bit of that $460 back in the shop...water bottle, tubes, helmet, shoes....show them some love

Bikesexual
    wow thought the OP would be blasted for asking that question. Good to hear is a possibility.

+1 on Train Wreck's comment.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Most bike shops will honor a price change within a month or so.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    If they give you trouble and they have the bike, buy it. Don't even touch it, immediately return it brand new with your first +$460 receipt.

mtbr member
    A bike shop my buddy uses contacted him and refunded the price drop. He didn't even know about it and this was a high end 4.5C build so it was a fair bit of money.

+3 on what Train Wreck said.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

No known cure
    If you don't ask, the answer's always no.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    If you don't ask, the answer's always no.
    This / thread, until you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    If they give you trouble and they have the bike, buy it. Don't even touch it, immediately return it brand new with your first +$460 receipt.
    Umm, no.

Is the OP "screwed"? No. Worst case he has the bike at a price he was fine paying 3 weeks ago.

the discerning hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by arkenzo View Post
    I havenít spoken to the shop yet, just gathering some facts Ö.
    Oh, we're all amazing when it comes to "the facts"....all the facts you need, right here on mtbr.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    Thank you all, spoke to the bike shop and spoke to Giant about it and I believe theyíre going to work together to make it right, as far as spending the money, I wouldnít mind putting that back into the bike shop, itís like putting a fat kid in a candy shop and saying have at it with $460.

Anyways thank you all and happy riding !!

trekker
    Jul 2005
    If you paid with a credit card, most of them have price protection on it. Some 2 weeks, some 30 days. It's worth looking into.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife had this same thing happen to her. The LBS gave her a store credit
    for the price difference, which she was quite happy with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You aren't 'screwed' either way.
    But you may get lucky.

The positive is you may get some cash back
    The negative, well there isn't a negative.

As far as your recent post of "shop is trying to make it right" - you were never wronged.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    You aren't 'screwed' either way.
    But you may get lucky.

The positive is you may get some cash back
    The negative, well there isn't a negative.

As far as your recent post of "shop is trying to make it right" - you were never wronged.
    This. I don't see the issue, you got unlucky. It happens, and it's no one's job to make up for it when it does. If the shop is working with you that's cool, but you should know that they are under no legal or even ethical requirement to do so. I think it would be perfectly acceptable for them to say, 'sorry dude, that's just how it happens sometimes.'

In case you don't know this, Giant credits the shop back for bikes sold during the sale. They don't for bikes not sold during the sale... So the shop would eat that $460. How is that fair again?

mtbr member
    Ok all, letís take it easy and relax, yes I was never wronged, yes I understand the bike shop is not obligated to credit or refund me the difference.
    I will make this clear, if they donít or didnít , that experience will reflect in my yelp / google review.
    I understand that shops donít make a lot of money from sales and more from service , however if they make it right ( in the consumers mind ) then Iíd build a much more solid relationship with the shop and continue going there for a very long time as well as recommend people to go to this shop.

Ethically required ? No, but it would be rather unethical for them to not make it right ( not saying they havenít ).

Letís not lose any sleep over this, once again thank you all and happy riding !!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Ok all, letís take it easy and relax, yes I was never wronged, yes I understand the bike shop is not obligated to credit or refund me the difference.
    I will make this clear, if they donít or didnít , that experience will reflect in my yelp / google review.
    I understand that shops donít make a lot of money from sales and more from service , however if they make it right ( in the consumers mind ) then Iíd build a much more solid relationship with the shop and continue going there for a very long time as well as recommend people to go to this shop.

Ethically required ? No, but it would be rather unethical for them to not make it right ( not saying they havenít ).

Letís not lose any sleep over this, once again thank you all and happy riding !!

Threatening a bad review? Repeatedly saying 'make it right' after admitting you were never wronged? That's a pretty crappy attitude in my book, but I definitely will not be losing sleep over it.

I work at a shop and frankly in my experience customers like you will never be loyal, you'll always make decisions with your wallet first regardless of how it impacts the shop, so I wouldn't be worried about working to 'earn' your loyalty. I hope I'm wrong and they hook you up and you continue to support them for many years though.

Don't mean to offend, your perspective isn't malicious or uncommon, just can't help but voice my honest thoughts since I don't get to when I'm in the shop. Good luck and happy riding!

mtbr member

Am I screwed?

Thanks TheDwayyo

Just so you know, in my younger days then yes, I followed my wallet, but I didnít get to where I am today by not at the very least trying.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Thanks TheDwayyo

Just so you know, in my younger days then yes, I followed my wallet, but I didnít get to where I am today by not at the very least trying.

I got you. Funds are always limited and we have to do what we can to stretch them, no worries. I'm just good friends with the owner of my shop and frankly I know that every discount he gives is money he doesn't take home to his family. Through that lens it's frustrating that damn near every customer who walks in the door expects some form of discount or special treatment, but that's the nature of the industry... Just funny to me that it isn't in most other retail. (No one argues with the checkout guy at Best Buy to lower the price, you just pay it. I don't understand why bikes are different, when in fact margins are lower.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Unless there was a written price match or protection, they owe you nothing.

What if they had raised MSRP? Would you call them up to pay them the added price?

I don't want to be an electronics retailer with people like you. I now demand my money back for that overpriced and slow computer I bought 20 years ago. I just learned they are much faster and cheaper now. That store screwed me over...
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    No one argues with the checkout guy at Best Buy to lower the price, you just pay it
    I get the point you're making, but give it a try at Best Buy, you'd be surprised at the amount they're willing to negotiate, at least on big ticket items. I've bought computers, tv's, sound systems, and appliances at fairly significant discounts from them over the years (not on sale items).

mtbr member
    Thanks TheDwayyo

... I didnít get to where I am today by not at the very least trying.
    Color me not impressed. Your gain now is at the shop owner's loss, unless the factory refunds him $.

When I was e-tailing I would deal with people that wanted "free shipping". My answer was simple: "provide me the phone number of the courier that ships for free and I will be happy to use them".

Why is it that I always seem to buy gas the day before the price drops? C'est la vie.

To be fair I would judge the shop in Yelp reviews based on experience before this sale. Then if they go above and beyond with with retro-credit, add glowing comments. I tend not to advertise the specifics of what a shop does for me, cause then others could go in there quoting it and expecting the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    every discount he gives is money he doesn't take home to his family.
    And every dollar I overpay at the LBS is money I don't take home to my family.

Why shouldn't the owner be worried about my bottom line instead of me worrying about his? This is also a weird thing in the bike world where everyone is expected to kiss ass at the LBS to develop 'a relationship'. Like one of those "that stripper really likes me" sort of relationship, near as I can tell. Super weird. As mentioned, I don't try to develop 'a relationship' with the cashier at Best Buy, why should I by trying to buy may way into one at the LBS?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I mean if weíre gonna bust out the big guns on this topic then let me add that my bike wasnít technically new never used, the bike was test driven before, however I was fine with that and paid MSRP on the bike. In my state bicycles are considered vehicles and I could have been a dick and say hey this is used Iím not paying MSRP for this, order me a new one and I will wait! But I didnít , I know this shop is local to my residence and the staff there is cool, but by my standards I could have treated this shop like a freaking car dealership but I did not

Either way fellas, to make some of you rest as ease, when I go back to the shop to retrieve the outcome of this Iíll make sure to take them some steaks, you know so they can feed there families

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I got you. Funds are always limited and we have to do what we can to stretch them, no worries. I'm just good friends with the owner of my shop and frankly I know that every discount he gives is money he doesn't take home to his family. Through that lens it's frustrating that damn near every customer who walks in the door expects some form of discount or special treatment, but that's the nature of the industry... Just funny to me that it isn't in most other retail. (No one argues with the checkout guy at Best Buy to lower the price, you just pay it. I don't understand why bikes are different, when in fact margins are lower.)
    What are you talking about? Franchisors have been asked to match big box store prices for decades. Nothing new about that. I have seen plenty of people walk into an independently owned cell phone store saying, "I saw it costs less at Best Buy, can you match the price?" Meanwhile, the customer service you'd get at Best Buy is going to cost you more in the long run. I'm so happy that Amazon is now competing with local bike shops. Every LBS I've walked into has needed to step up their game for a long time.

edit: I know landlords that troll Reddit legal advice threads on tenant rights. I sometimes wonder if a bunch of angry LBS owners do the same thing on MTBR. wondering that right about now. I've worked at 2 for profit bike shops and 1 non-profit and never cared how much money my boss made. Owning an LBS is one of the worst ways to invest money.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post

Why shouldn't the owner be worried about my bottom line instead of me worrying about his? This is also a weird thing in the bike world where everyone is expected to kiss ass at the LBS to develop 'a relationship'. Like one of those "that stripper really likes me" sort of relationship, near as I can tell. Super weird. As mentioned, I don't try to develop 'a relationship' with the cashier at Best Buy, why should I by trying to buy may way into one at the LBS?
    This. I almost bought my 5010 at my LBS, but they wouldn't budge on the price, not even one effing dollar. Took my money elsewhere and got the same bike for hundreds less. I don't need a relationship with any LBS. I can buy stuff online cheaper and learn to do basically whatever via YouTube or forums like this one. I'm all for supporting local business, but not when their prices are ridiculously high. I have 4 LBS's near me, I've bought stuff from all 4 at one point or another. That being said, I still shop online for the majority of my stuff. Why? Because of examples like this: I wanted a gold SRAM XX1 chain. Online it was ~$85 on most sites. Of the 4 LBS's, only one had one. They wanted $125 for it. That is absurd, I don't care if you have overhead or not. $90/$95, ok...but $125? I laughed at the person on the phone and hung up.
    2019 Santa Cruz 5010 Carbon C. R Build, in Purple
    2018 Specialized Pitch Comp

Up In Smoke
    Yíall whoíve never worked in retail stick out like a sore thumb.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I worked in retail just long enough to learn to not work in retail.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

'Overpay?' As long as they're only charging MSRP there is no such thing.

You are buying an unnecessary luxury item (a bike). If it's going to put your family at hardship to buy it at what it costs then don't buy it. He's running a business to support his family, totally different story. (Your knee-jerk reaction will be that maybe he shouldn't be in business if it's a hardship for his family, but I don't think that's the message we should be sending to shop owners personally. If we all drop the entitled attitudes displayed heavily in this thread there's room for everyone to be happy.)

Funny but as a shop employee I'd argue the opposite. Sure there are the guys that bring us beer and sometimes even pizza, but those are our friends - not just customers. For every customer who brings us beer there are ten who tell us 'OK, I'll just order it off Amazon' at the slightest perceived inconvenience.

The average customer's mindset is that bikes are supposed to be fun and therefore everything is always discounted, warranty covers every failure regardless of whose fault it is and turnaround is always instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post
    What are you talking about? Franchisors have been asked to match big box store prices for decades. Nothing new about that. I have seen plenty of people walk into an independently owned cell phone store saying, "I saw it costs less at Best Buy, can you match the price?" Meanwhile, the customer service you'd get at Best Buy is going to cost you more in the long run. I'm so happy that Amazon is now competing with local bike shops. Every LBS I've walked into has needed to step up their game for a long time.

edit: I know landlords that troll Reddit legal advice threads on tenant rights. I sometimes wonder if a bunch of angry LBS owners do the same thing on MTBR. wondering that right about now. I've worked at 2 for profit bike shops and 1 non-profit and never cared how much money my boss made. Owning an LBS is one of the worst ways to invest money.
    That's fair, but I think the attitude is a bit different. People tend to ask other types of stores if they even do discounts, people seem to walk into a bike shop with the mindset they will not buy unless it is discounted. I guess it's difficult to really quantify that though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I work at a shop and am good friends with the owner, so yes my opinion is skewed. I also don't pay full retail ever as a result, so again my opinion is skewed... But I'm not making things up or being deceptive in any way. I recognized that discounts don't come free and I found a way to make myself useful enough to the shop to give them to me. I only work part time but organize events through the shop as well. I spend WAY more time 'working for the shop' off the clock, with no compensation other than those discounts, than I do on the clock. I believe my contribution makes those discounts worthwhile for the shop and the owner seems to think so too.

You are buying an unnecessary luxury item (a bike). If it's going to put your family at hardship to buy it at what it costs then don't buy it. He's running a business to support his family, totally different story. (Your knee-jerk reaction will be that maybe he shouldn't be in business if it's a hardship for his family, but I don't think that's the message we should be sending to shop owners personally. If we all drop the entitled attitudes displayed heavily in this thread there's room for everyone to be happy.)

Funny but as a shop employee I'd argue the opposite. Sure there are the guys that bring us beer and sometimes even pizza, but those are our friends - not just customers. For every customer who brings us beer there are ten who tell us 'OK, I'll just order it off Amazon' at the slightest perceived inconvenience.

The average customer's mindset is that bikes are supposed to be fun and therefore everything is always discounted, warranty covers every failure regardless of whose fault it is and turnaround is always instantaneous.

Quote Originally Posted by flypower View Post

That's fair, but I think the attitude is a bit different. People tend to ask other types of stores if they even do discounts, people seem to walk into a bike shop with the mindset they will not buy unless it is discounted. I guess it's difficult to really quantify that though, so maybe I'm wrong.

I work at a shop and am good friends with the owner, so yes my opinion is skewed. I also don't pay full retail ever as a result, so again my opinion is skewed... But I'm not making things up or being deceptive in any way. I recognized that discounts don't come free and I found a way to make myself useful enough to the shop to give them to me. I only work part time but organize events through the shop as well. I spend WAY more time 'working for the shop' off the clock, with no compensation other than those discounts, than I do on the clock. I believe my contribution makes those discounts worthwhile for the shop and the owner seems to think so too.

Quote Originally Posted by chadbrochills View Post
    This. I almost bought my 5010 at my LBS, but they wouldn't budge on the price, not even one effing dollar. Took my money elsewhere and got the same bike for hundreds less. I don't need a relationship with any LBS. I can buy stuff online cheaper and learn to do basically whatever via YouTube or forums like this one. I'm all for supporting local business, but not when their prices are ridiculously high. I have 4 LBS's near me, I've bought stuff from all 4 at one point or another. That being said, I still shop online for the majority of my stuff. Why? Because of examples like this: I wanted a gold SRAM XX1 chain. Online it was ~$85 on most sites. Of the 4 LBS's, only one had one. They wanted $125 for it. That is absurd, I don't care if you have overhead or not. $90/$95, ok...but $125? I laughed at the person on the phone and hung up.
    Unfortunately parts prices like that aren't mark up... It's companies like Chain Reaction that import from places where MSRP is lower. I know some manufacturers are working to stop it, but best I can tell it's still happening. I've had occasions where I buy something online instead of through the shop even with my discount, because the shop's cost is greater than the price online.

It sounds like you'd be OK if there were no bike shops anywhere. I don't think you realize what that would do to the sport. My local shops do a ton to support cycling in our area; sponsoring races and trail work days, organizing group rides and repair clinics, educating new riders and even just giving us a place to stop in and chat with other riders about what's new. I would hate to lose that because people just want cheap and convenient.

All that said, I totally understand that if the choice is to buy a part online or not buy that part because it costs too much then it becomes tough... But I hope people really think about the message they send when they regularly buy online - that you'd be OK if your shop closed.

mtbr member
    Please donít assume, my very first job was Office Depot as a sales associate. FYI

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    This happens to us Costco at times. Their official policy is 2 weeks for the price match. But it is implented inconsistentky. One person will give you the price match 4-6 weeks later, another sticks to 2.

We also do the end around if buying new on sale and returning with old receipt, which is what a Costco employee recommended.

Please don't tell Costco Sr. Management about this thread or they will shut down the gray practice.

OP you were right to ask.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    No one argues with the checkout guy at Best Buy to lower the price, you just pay it. I don't understand why bikes are different, when in fact margins are lower.
    I blame the auto industry for that one. It's well-known that the dealership expects you to haggle when buying a new car and I think people lumped bikes into "transportation" similar to a car.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Oops.... it appears I started a small war.

The lines of what is a good customer sercice agreemtn have become blured.

Several recent comments have been regarding price matching other stores.

The thing here is tha a bike was purchased 3 weeks ago then asking for the price match.
    Many retailers do have a price satisfactin type of guarantee in that if goes on sale soon they will honor that.

To go one step further, it's not a matter of asking the seller to make some type of price adjustment, it's the way the thread was presented I think. From the start it has sounded as if the customer is entitled to an adjustment instead of presenting if it was felt a good idea to ask for some price assistance, or customer satisfaction.

I think a fair customer satisfaction approach would be to offer $200 in store credit.

mtbr member
    I worked in retail just long enough to learn to not work in retail.
    Lol.
    My favorite part of retail is upsale guy. Been tire shopping a bit for tires that sell in the $800 range where I live. First tire chain sales guy wants to charge me shipping for a product they sell, $10 a tire. No thanks, and as I turn around to leave the story changes. As I'm not buying what this idiot is selling the story continues to change as I walk out the door. Buy said tire on their website at different location. Guy from different location calls me and tries to upsell me an inferior tire for more money. When I'm clearly not into this guy's BS he starts to get frustrated and is disappointed I'm sticking with the tire I researched and bought. I'm not sure what % of the public falls for this shit but I propose a new law. If you need to "feed your family" by ripping me off I get to punch you in the eye.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    wow thought the OP would be blasted for asking that question. Good to hear is a possibility.

+1 on Train Wreck's comment.
    I wasn't too far off!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I also don't pay full retail ever
    How about YOU start paying MSRP for everything to make up for my discounts instead of the other way around?

Oh wait, I forgot bike shop employees are extra-special and I should go out of my way to put as much of my money in their pockets as humanly possible cuz...uh...hmmm...I guess that's where I lose it.

Seriously, though, MSRP is for suckers. I'd have to be a moron to spend 50-60-100% more for stuff. Oh wait, that's how I 'develop a relationship' with my LBS. Then they can call me by name so I feel oh-so-special as they charge me $30 for a set of brake pads.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    What's the statute of limitations for price changes?

I bought my flat screen tv 10 years ago and sure would like to be refunded the difference between what I paid and the $300 they cost now.

My Yelp review will be forthcoming.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post

I bought my flat screen tv 10 years ago and sure would like to be refunded the difference between what I paid and the $300 they cost now.

It is the time it takes for your scathing, business sinking torpedo review to go viral.

I have a tip for those who pay full MSRP. If you are buying a new appliance, wait for an approaching holiday. Best Buy and the lot usually run significant sales around the holidays.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I try to save money when I can, and I would never pay full price for a bike. That being said, I know a guy who (along with his wife) obsesses about every penny he (doesnít) spend. It is literally more than a lifestyle for him, itís an obsession. Must be stressful, reusing those ziplock bags he washes. Sometimes you have to ask yourself, is the amount you save worth the stress, time and trouble?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post

try it, might be worth the time.

mtbr member
    Oh cripes, am I the only one who's wonder what bike the OP bought?
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Oh cripes, am I the only one who's wonder what bike the OP bought?
    Yep, dude spent $3100 on it, must be bad ass...I wouldn't be worried about $460 at this point. If I was thinking about it this long and hard after the fact I would definitely resent that purchase.

mtbr member
    Yep, dude spent $3100 on it, must be bad ass...I wouldn't be worried about $460 at this point. If I was thinking about it this long and hard after the fact I would definitely resent that purchase.
    If you, but Iím not you. Thank you though

Maxxis cult follower

I see from the spam ads that Performance Bike is back, or whoever took them over. They e-mail me every few days now. They have hardtails for $4500, so $3100 is not out of the ordinary for a brand-name bike. Ridiculously overpriced though. You can start with a $500-700 bike with a decent aluminum frame, build it up with identical components to the $3000-4500 bike and wind up paying about $1500-2000 total. You can even make most of the bike carbon and still only pay $2500 total. But you don't get the 'warranty', the 'service', and the 'quality', whatever that really is.
    From Ancient Times - Scarlet Skies Burn to Ash

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    I try to save money when I can, and I would never pay full price for a bike. That being said, I know a guy who (along with his wife) obsesses about every penny he (doesnít) spend. It is literally more than a lifestyle for him, itís an obsession. Must be stressful, reusing those ziplock bags he washes. Sometimes you have to ask yourself, is the amount you save worth the stress, time and trouble?
    Washing and reusing ziplock bags? I think your friend is on the extreme, very very extreme end of frugal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Washing and reusing ziplock bags? I think your friend is on the extreme, very very extreme end of frugal.
    We do that within reason. If it's an easy rinse and dry... But that's too save the plastic from the landfill more than anything.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hi There!
    I mean if weíre gonna bust out the big guns on this topic then let me add that my bike wasnít technically new never used, the bike was test driven before, however I was fine with that and paid MSRP on the bike. In my state bicycles are considered vehicles and I could have been a dick and say hey this is used Iím not paying MSRP for this, order me a new one and I will wait!
    This statement has me wondering. Why would you be a dick if you went there and ordered a new bike?

Yes, you paid msrp on a bike that was tested (you don't say how or where, was it demo'd on the trails or what?), but that was totally your choice.

Adjusting your google review? That's rich. Hopefully it will be truthful at least and tell the whole story.

Edit to say: I'm not suggesting you shouldn't try to work something out, but to say you were screwed if you can't is just not true.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Umm, no.

Is the OP "screwed"? No. Worst case he has the bike at a price he was fine paying 3 weeks ago.
    That's what I was thinking. It's not as if he was cheated by the bike shop.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

You don't "overpay" anything. For people on MTBR, bicycles are luxury items and toys. If our families are starving we would do without. When I was poor I rode a 400 buck Gary Fisher Wahoo and was happy to have it.

The owner of the bike store is actually feeding his family from his profits. I'm not saying we have to kiss his ass and throw money at him like he's a stripper but we shouldn't expect him to sell everything at cost.

Hey..don't knock strippers. They have to make money, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    You don't "overpay" anything. For people on MTBR, bicycles are luxury items and toys. If our families are starving we would do without. When I was poor I rode a 400 buck Gary Fisher Wahoo and was happy to have it.

The owner of the bike store is actually feeding his family from his profits. I'm not saying we have to kiss his ass and throw money at him like he's a stripper but we shouldn't expect him to sell everything at cost.

Hey..don't knock strippers. They have to make money, too.
    Don't iverlook the cuthroat competition in retail for toys.

Sincerely,

ToysWereUs

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    We do that within reason. If it's an easy rinse and dry... But that's too save the plastic from the landfill more than anything.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    I reuse plastic when I can too, not at all out of frugality but to not dump more plastic than I need to.

mtbr member
    (No one argues with the checkout guy at Best Buy to lower the price, you just pay it. I don't understand why bikes are different, when in fact margins are lower.)

Truth. Some people think because it's a bike shop that somehow the price of everything there is negotiable, tubes for example....

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post

x3.... really not all that hard, or "stressful."
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    When I was poor I rode a 400 buck Gary Fisher Wahoo and was happy to have it.
    This struck me as interesting. A "poor" person is stuck riding a $400 bike. In Africa, 51% of the population lives on about $400 annually. People in the developed world, myself included, have no idea what it really is to be "poor".

Formerly of Kent

Am I screwed?

This struck me as interesting. A "poor" person is stuck riding a $400 bike. In Africa, 51% of the population lives on about $400 annually. People in the developed world, myself included, have no idea what it really is to be "poor".
    There was an old man in AFG who had polio. His legs were twisted and gnarled like old tree branches. Heíd sit at this round about every day, begging for food. Heíd scoot in and out of traffic on his knuckles and ass to pick up whatever people threw to him as they drove by.

That man was poor. Really, really poor. Not like people panhandling for cash here in the US. Living from day to day based on the compassion or pity of those who drove by.

I would have my gunner throw bagged food and bottled water into the traffic circle for him, but one of the biggest regrets of my time there was that I didnít do more to help that guy. We couldnít give him money, because it was against the rules, and because someone probably would have stolen it from him. And we could only give him as much food as he could eat and carry, which wasnít much.

Death from Below.

the half breed devil
    i purchased a new wheelset and dropper at a brick and mortar in march of 2018 and a drivetrain earlier this year from the same shop.

i paid what the bike shop told me to pay for it with no complaints.

my .02
    Last edited by shekky; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:52 AM.

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    i purchased a new wheelset and dropper at a brick and mortar in march of 2019 and a drivetrain earlier this year from the same shop.

i paid what the bike shop told me to pay for it with no complaints.

my .02
    Cost you only $.02?

Bike shops are not the place to shop for a good deal. Not saying they can't be found, but you go to a shop and pay for good service, no one works for free.

mtbr member
    When I was in Haiti we were driving back to the base very early one morning. We saw a young man who looked like he was walking to work with his head down. One of the guys in the vehicle shouted to him and tossed a large bagged lunch. He ignored the heads up and when the bag struck him squarely in the chest it scared the hell out him. This was before the big earthquake and there were large neighbourhoods with shacks built from what would be landfill here. I equate being born in Canada to winning the lottery.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for ďI suck at brake control.Ē Hereís a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Ha I saw that sale too after I just bought a Stance 1. The Stance is one of the bikes not on sale but my LBS said if it did go on sale they would refund me.

the half breed devil
    Cost you only $.02?

Bike shops are not the place to shop for a good deal. Not saying they can't be found, but you go to a shop and pay for good service, no one works for free.
    heh heh heh, yeah, .02 for hope/wtb wheels and a reverb.

good service, you say. i paid what they told me to pay because i've always gotten good service from the guy who owns this shop, and he took care of me very well when he managed another one.

every once and awhile he's cut me a deal but i don't walk into a shop expecting anything special.

mtbr member
    One good reason to support a shop vs. online is that bike shops can be good for the cycling community. Organizing group rides, trail work days, advocating for trail access and bike lanes, etc. Not saying all shops do it but many do.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You don't "overpay" anything.
    You're right, I don't.

When I see something for sale in a shop for twice the price I can get it for somewhere else, whatever it is, there's no way I'm going to go out of my way to pay top dollar for no good reason. Around here, I tend to do more trailwork and advocacy than the local shop, so they cut me decent discounts at times. If the price is right, I buy, if not, I don't. Same as any other business I deal with.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

monster member
    Bike shops are generally owned and run by people like you who love the hobby and choose to work there because they feel good helping others like the hobby.

So don't feel like enemies just because you're on opposite sides of the counter. Just go in and talk to them. Probably would help also to let them know that you'd be fine with in-store credit.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    I looked on the website, seems if you bought it on line you could return it for a full refund in 14 days if you didn't screw it up. I know that some stores will give you thirty day price match but you would have to ask them. Usually stores like Best Buy etc. My wife bought an Apple watch and got a refund the next week becuase it went on sale. We did have to ask.
    As far as changing your review, shady. I wouldn't want you as a customer anyway.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been all over the world including Liberia and Sierra Leone back in my Marine days. Everything is relative. By equatorial African standards there are no poor people in the United States or Canada. Even the homeless schizophrenic guys who come into my ER looking for a place to stay generally get an SSI disability check and are on Medicare or Medicaid.

A typical SSI disability check is around 800 bucks a month. But you can't compare the purchasing power of 800 American dollars in Flint, Michigan to the Sudan.

But you know what I mean. When I was a resident we had almost no surplus money after paying living expenses so spending any money on a bike was a big deal. In fact, my brother, who owns a bike store in Massachusetts, gave it to me as a gift.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    Bike shops are generally owned and run by people like you who love the hobby and choose to work there because they feel good helping others like the hobby.

So don't feel like enemies just because you're on opposite sides of the counter. Just go in and talk to them. Probably would help also to let them know that you'd be fine with in-store credit.
    I have said it before but I don't understand the angst people have over spending money on what is supposed to be a pleasurable activity. With the exception of a Hammerschmidt crank and the Awesome Strap, I have never regretted a single dollar that I have spent on bicycles and cycling gear. Because I don't need any of it, every dollar I spend is strictly for entertainment purposes and I don't understand the psychology of spending $5000 on a bike but regretting it.

If you can't part with that kind of money for something you enjoy then get something cheaper. Realistically, on a topic that has been beaten to a pulp on this site, any improvement in quality for the extra couple of thousand is not that profound.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You're right, I don't.

When I see something for sale in a shop for twice the price I can get it for somewhere else, whatever it is, there's no way I'm going to go out of my way to pay top dollar for no good reason. Around here, I tend to do more trailwork and advocacy than the local shop, so they cut me decent discounts at times. If the price is right, I buy, if not, I don't. Same as any other business I deal with.
    I dealt with a really good bike shop in Louisiana. I most certainly would pay more for something there even if I could get it cheaper on line or somewhere else. And I bought several bikes there that I could have probably got a better price on somewhere else.

I wouldn't pay "twice as much" for $4000 bike but a hundred more? Sure. Worth the price of keeping him in business. It's alright to pay a little for the intangibles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I wouldn't pay "twice as much" for $4000 bike but a hundred more? Sure. Worth the price of keeping him in business. It's alright to pay a little for the intangibles.
    Agree about paying a little extra likely being worth it. If prices are close, I'll buy from the shop, and probably throw a couple beers in the fridge too.

For me, as far as spending 4K on a bike (specially when it loses 1/3 of it's value as soon as you wheel it out of the shop), no thanks. I know a lot of people seem to love paying huge money for shiny new bikes, but I've long since figured out that I have just as good time on more reasonably priced equipment.

Also got a number of other things going on that help eat up the recreation budget too, so spending more than I need to on one thing cuts into what's available for others. My kid is into moto, which ain't cheap. I do gotta say it when I look at what 5-6K gets me in the moto world versus the MTB world, it makes me even less likely to spend big money on a bicycle.; feels like my dollar really doesn't go all that far. I understand the reasons behind it, but I don't operate on such a high level I feel I need cutting edge stuff.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I recon that's life. Your screwed.

But maybe if your bike shop is a really nice one you will get a refund. You are essentially asking for them to hand over their profit margin.

Also if the price has shifted the buy price probably has too. Which means the bike shop probably purchased the bike at the old price.

No known cure

I support my LBS. I even volunteer for programs they put on. My shop is who's building trails and making this area a diverse riding destination. Because of my investment in the shop, I get consumables at cost. I'll do large purchases on line but it's nice to pop in, shoot the shit, get some 411 and grab a tube or whatever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant View Post
    Ha I saw that sale too after I just bought a Stance 1. The Stance is one of the bikes not on sale but my LBS said if it did go on sale they would refund me.
    I was going to buy the bike from a big box store and they would refund me 100% no questions asked. Tried to give the local small mom and pop dealer a shot.

No known cure

Seriously, though, MSRP is for suckers. I'd have to be a moron to spend 50-60-100% more for stuff. Oh wait, that's how I 'develop a relationship' with my LBS. Then they can call me by name so I feel oh-so-special as they charge me $30 for a set of brake pads.

Support turns into bro deals. I've been comped a season bike park pass, and the best, entry into interbike in Vegas. As a non industry guy who's into bikes, it was very appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Congrats on your life success...

... and a reminder why working retail stinks.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    I recon that's life. Your screwed.

But maybe if your bike shop is a really nice one you will get a refund. You are essentially asking for them to hand over their profit margin.

Also if the price has shifted the buy price probably has too. Which means the bike shop probably purchased the bike at the old price.
    I suspect it is more than the profit margin. One must first subtract the shop overhead, staff, rent, utilities, taxes and such from any markup on an item. Once all of that is deducted you should have some profit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Support turns into bro deals.
    I've managed to get 'bro' status at a number of shops without ever having to buy my way into it.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I suspect it is more than the profit margin. One must first subtract the shop overhead, staff, rent, utilities, taxes and such from any markup on an item. Once all of that is deducted you should have some profit.
    You guys are over analyzing this now, Giant is providing the refund to the store and giving it to me, no ones family is gonna lose any meals, not one less steak on a dinner plate, no ones gonna run out of money to pay the water bill. We all good

mtbr member
    Support turns into bro deals. I've been comped a season bike park pass, and the best, entry into interbike in Vegas. As a non industry guy who's into bikes, it was very appreciated.
    In the last 12 years I have purchased solid used bikes that would have easily retailed for $26,000. I paid less than $8k. For $18k I can fund my own "bro" deals, and then some.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    You guys are over analyzing this now, Giant is providing the refund to the store and giving it to me, no ones family is gonna lose any meals, not one less steak on a dinner plate, no ones gonna run out of money to pay the water bill. We all good

This is what I expected would happen if they agreed to the post-purchase price match. Good thing that you asked!

Of course there may be some who feel that this is the straw that breaks Giantís financial back and so forth. And with their entire future at stake, Giant could just say ďno.Ē Oh, the humanity...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    How about YOU start paying MSRP for everything to make up for my discounts instead of the other way around?

Oh wait, I forgot bike shop employees are extra-special and I should go out of my way to put as much of my money in their pockets as humanly possible cuz...uh...hmmm...I guess that's where I lose it.

Damn dude, your LBS steal your girlfriend?

Discounts are a standard perk for retail employment... Paying a decent wage isn't, so it's nice to at least get that. If bike shop employees were 'extra-special' I'd think they'd make enough money to live off.

I'm sure you know everything there is to know about riding, racing, trail building and advocacy, wrenching and whatever else I'm missing so I can see why you don't value what shops offer. I'd think you'd at least be able to admit what offering those things to a community does for our sport as a whole... But I won't hold my breath.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm sure you know everything there is to know about riding, racing, trail building and advocacy, wrenching and whatever else I'm missing so I can see why you don't value what shops offer. I'd think you'd at least be able to admit what offering those things to a community does for our sport as a whole... But I won't hold my breath.
    I've never learned anything about riding, racing, trail building and advocacy, or wrenching from a shop.

One LBS does now put on a kids session night at the pumptrack I built. Now that all the work is done, it's gotten quite popular with the shop people. When all the digging was going though, or now during spring clean-up time? All sorts of lonely. I did get asked by a number of people when we'd have it ready for them to come ride though.

Same thing with the local trails. Not a bit of support over the years for advocacy or building or upkeep, but more than happy to use them for demo days, etc now that we've done all the work.

Almost any services the LBS do get involved with (wrenching classes for example), they charge for. That's not 'doing for the sport', that's 'doing for money'. I teach people to wrench for free. I build trails for free, I help beginners get into the sport for free. (I don't give half a damn about racing personally.) The one exception I can think of is a Christmas bike drive they used to do, and even that relied very heavily upon a bunch of riders volunteering their time to fix up donated bikes.

But whatever; they're just a business. I don't expect anything else of them besides to try to turn a profit. Not going to treat them differently than any other business though.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Almost any services the LBS do get involved with (wrenching classes for example), they charge for. That's not 'doing for the sport', that's 'doing for money'.
    It's interesting to me the difference location and local cultures can make. I've lived in cities where shops were very much like that, and as you said, can't really blame them, they're a business trying to make money in an industry that can be quite difficult to turn a profit. However, I've consciously moved away from areas like that.

Currently (and planning to for many more years) I live in a smaller town where the shops are quite different - the whole culture/lifestyle here is different. It's an outdoors town through and through, with mountain biking playing a large part of the local economy 8 months of the year. In my office it's totally the norm to leave at lunch for the day - or not come in until after lunch - to head out riding this time of year. In the winter, we strongly abide by the 20 cm rule. The shops here are totally different, they are a respectable force behind organizing, sending their employees out, funding, and all other aspects of building trails. They organize local clubs that are relatively massive in numbers, host group rides, run races, and will get you rolling again after hours if you blow up a wheel doing something dumb.

Since moving to the smaller town with this culture, I spend way less time shopping online (for everything, not just bike stuff), spend way more at the local shops, and am happier to do so. I know none of the owners are getting 'rich', they pay their employees a respectable wage, and they really have helped build up the local trail networks.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I've never learned anything about riding, racing, trail building and advocacy, or wrenching from a shop.

One LBS does now put on a kids session night at the pumptrack I built. Now that all the work is done, it's gotten quite popular with the shop people. When all the digging was going though, or now during spring clean-up time? All sorts of lonely. I did get asked by a number of people when we'd have it ready for them to come ride though.

Same thing with the local trails. Not a bit of support over the years for advocacy or building or upkeep, but more than happy to use them for demo days, etc now that we've done all the work.

Almost any services the LBS do get involved with (wrenching classes for example), they charge for. That's not 'doing for the sport', that's 'doing for money'. I teach people to wrench for free. I build trails for free, I help beginners get into the sport for free. (I don't give half a damn about racing personally.) The one exception I can think of is a Christmas bike drive they used to do, and even that relied very heavily upon a bunch of riders volunteering their time to fix up donated bikes.

But whatever; they're just a business. I don't expect anything else of them besides to try to turn a profit. Not going to treat them differently than any other business though.
    Sorry to hear that your shops suck so bad. We have three shops in town and the two that sell MTBs are both incredibly supportive of all things cycling. I'm one of a few trail advocates for the local club and we get support from those two shops every time we ask... Usually they just say 'what do you need?' and give it to us with no hesitation. At any given work day there will be employees and team riders from both, usually with a larger group of friends they've brought along as well. I can say definitively that our community would not be what it is today without the shops that support us.

A business is a business for sure, but the way my shop runs the business model includes being a good member of the community. I'd like to think this is one of the rare instances where doing the right thing ethically is actually doing the right thing fiscally... I'm surprised to hear there are shop owners who don't see it that way.

You should recognize that your experience is the exception, not the rule though. Talking trash on all shops because your local ones suck isn't exactly helpful. I drove across the US two years ago and when I stopped in a town I'd check out their shop to get trail info. More often than not the guy at the counter would point to someone in the back and say 'he built that trail' or something similar. Shops are driving the sport, whether you accept it or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sorry to hear that your shops suck so bad. We have three shops in town and the two that sell MTBs are both incredibly supportive of all things cycling. I'm one of a few trail advocates for the local club and we get support from those two shops every time we ask... Usually they just say 'what do you need?' and give it to us with no hesitation. At any given work day there will be employees and team riders from both, usually with a larger group of friends they've brought along as well. I can say definitively that our community would not be what it is today without the shops that support us.

A business is a business for sure, but the way my shop runs the business model includes being a good member of the community. I'd like to think this is one of the rare instances where doing the right thing ethically is actually doing the right thing fiscally... I'm surprised to hear there are shop owners who don't see it that way.

You should recognize that your experience is the exception, not the rule though. Talking trash on all shops because your local ones suck isn't exactly helpful. I drove across the US two years ago and when I stopped in a town I'd check out their shop to get trail info. More often than not the guy at the counter would point to someone in the back and say 'he built that trail' or something similar. Shops are driving the sport, whether you accept it or not.
    The shop doesn't suck, they're just a shop. And I'm not 'talking trash', just stating facts. They're also pretty typical of shops I've dealt with over the years in this region. Around here (New England), riders drive the sport. We advocate, pay for, build and maintain the the vast majority trail,s not the shops (or the government). Yes, many shops make a nominal donation to the local advocacy group(s), and there are shop employees who also get out there and help out (on their own time, of course). But as far as shop employess making up the majority of volunteer trail builders and advocacy dorks? Not even remotely. I'm willing to be that's not the case in the the places you bring up either. The sport would be doing perfectly fine without local shops IME. The only thing that would be affected would be shopping, which I don't consider to be part of the sport at all.

Again, nothing against the local/area shops. Plenty of good peeps, and they're in business to make money, which doesn't bother me in the least. I just get a laugh when people make out like anyone that works in a bike shop is some sort of knight in shining armor making all sorts of sacrifices to help make my life better. Nope; that's the volunteers that make trails happen, on their own time, and for free. At the end of the day, anything a shop does is, at it's root, based in trying to profit off the sport.

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The shop doesn't suck, they're just a shop. And I'm not 'talking trash', just stating facts. They're also pretty typical of shops I've dealt with over the years in this region. Around here (New England), riders drive the sport. We advocate, pay for, build and maintain the the vast majority trail,s not the shops (or the government). Yes, many shops make a nominal donation to the local advocacy group(s), and there are shop employees who also get out there and help out (on their own time, of course). But as far as shop employess making up the majority of volunteer trail builders and advocacy dorks? Not even remotely. I'm willing to be that's not the case in the the places you bring up either. The sport would be doing perfectly fine without local shops IME. The only thing that would be affected would be shopping, which I don't consider to be part of the sport at all.

Again, nothing against the local/area shops. Plenty of good peeps, and they're in business to make money, which doesn't bother me in the least. I just get a laugh when people make out like anyone that works in a bike shop is some sort of knight in shining armor making all sorts of sacrifices to help make my life better. Nope; that's the volunteers that make trails happen, on their own time, and for free. At the end of the day, anything a shop does is, at it's root, based in trying to profit off the sport.

Well no, I never said shop employees make up the majority of workers at a work day... We had 120 people out in the woods working yesterday, I'd bet there aren't much more than 120 bike shop employees in my state, so that's just not possible. What I did say is that if you walk into a shop and talk about local trails it's extremely likely that someone in that shop had a hand in helping them get built. What other local business can you say that about?

Shops and employees are only as good as what they do to support cycling, we agree on that. I would simply argue that the percentage of shops and employees that are truly making sacrifices to give back is far greater than would be found in just about any other retail industry. Doesn't mean you owe them anything, but I think it is helpful to keep that in perspective when comparing them to other retail stores.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What I did say is that if you walk into a shop and talk about local trails it's extremely likely that someone in that shop had a hand in helping them get built.
    Any time I talk about local trails, there's someone there that had a hand in building them: me! And I'm not in retail at all!
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Any time I talk about local trails, there's someone there that had a hand in building them: me! And I'm not in retail at all!
    Congrats? Everyone on this board builds, or at least claims to...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, I'm totally making it up.

Listen, just because I don't feel some sort of burning need to constantly kiss every bike shop employees ass the world over is no need for you to get all butthurt and personal. You know jack shit about me, so let's not go pretending otherwise.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yup, I'm totally making it up.

Listen, just because I don't feel some sort of burning need to constantly kiss every bike shop employees ass the world over is no need for you to get all butthurt and personal. You know jack shit about me, so let's not go pretending otherwise.
    I know you're not making it up, we've talked about your efforts in the past, that wasn't my point. My point was that you skipped over the entirety of my post just to toot your own horn... On a site where nearly everyone could say the same (and usually does profusely.) We all build, who cares?

I don't think any shop employees want you to kiss their ass, perhaps just not bashing all of us like we have some conspiracy to enslave the human race might be nice... I mean the vast majority of us are either kids or second job part timers, both making peanuts - the reality is we don't really care what you buy, we just like bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I don't. I don't have time.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I don't. I don't have time.
    Understandable and hopefully you show your support for your local trails in other ways.

#nodigornodonatenoride

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I don't think any shop employees want you to kiss their ass, perhaps just not bashing all of us like we have some conspiracy to enslave the human race might be nice...
    Didn't bash anyone, and you can feel free to stop trying to put words in my mouth any time now.

My point is simply that I don't find any reason I should treat bike shops differently than any other business. Dunno how you find that insulting.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Didn't bash anyone, and you can feel free to stop trying to put words in my mouth any time now.

My point is simply that I don't find any reason I should treat bike shops differently than any other business. Dunno how you find that insulting.
    I think you border on insulting in quite a few posts in here, but it's all good. I've seen enough of your posts to know that there's more we agree on than disagree.

More than anything I wish the shops in your area were doing more to earn your respect. I think if you lived in my area you'd have a different perspective... But conversely if every shop in my area were like the one (of three) that does nothing to help the community then I'd probably share your opinion.

Pro Crastinator
    i always make my drug dealer give me more if he gave someone else a better deal...