Alternative to saddle bags and pockets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Alternative to saddle bags and pockets

holds tubes, tire levers, and CO2.

www.byeKyle.com

let me know what you think
    [email protected]
    Last edited by kylerodland; 09-16-2008 at 07:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Congratulations, Kyle, you have invented the belt. I'll be following you on the bumpy bits to collect everything that falls out

Kidding aside, what keeps everything from popping loose? The friction from the tube?
    To the troll mobile, away...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    yeah, the tube helps quite a bit with keeping everything in place, and the simple physics of a cinch strap. it works really well. i've been using it for about two months, did a few races with it, one was a 100 miler and everything stayed in place. it didn't slip on the seatpost at all durring any of my rides or races.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kylerodland
    yeah, the tube helps quite a bit with keeping everything in place, and the simple physics of a cinch strap. it works really well. i've been using it for about two months, did a few races with it, one was a 100 miler and everything stayed in place. it didn't slip on the seatpost at all durring any of my rides or races.
    The one problem is that you might find it difficult to compete with under saddle 'speed bags'. I have several, and I don't think I've ever paid $7.99 for one because they go on sale. It's hard to compete with Chinese labor costs.

I think you'll need to find a niche- market it to guys to cool for a 'prissy' road bike seat bag, or find some other angle, unless you want to start selling them for two bucks (retail) and see if Performance will pick up the line.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Birdman aka JMJ
    Have to say the same - seat bags are cheap and they keep mud off your gear. REI sells a similar strap for $2. I suppose you could throw everything in a freezer bag and then lash that to your seatpost.

So, you did a 100 miler without a hydration pack? WOW!

JMJ

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Cool idea kyle.. But where do you put your car keys?

Klein sits on shelf now..
    Car keys??? He rides to the trailhead!

The simple strap is cool. For me it brings out my inner minimalist. Two levers? Nope...I think I only need one...Spare cleat? Not with this thing. As a die-hard camelbak user for many many years (and yes I carry a spare cleat with me) it's refreshing to just have the essentials and water on the bike. Would I go epic with just a simple strap? Probably not, but my 2 MTB's, Road bike and commuter will be getting strapped ASAP.

Rock on Kyle!

mtbr member
    I see guys at races all the time with setups like that, only they are using about 3 cents worth of tape to hold it on to the seat post.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    i've seen guys at races, on the side of the trail, trying to get the tube free from the 5 wraps of electrical tape on the seatpost. some use their teeth. i know a guy who gave it up and rode in the flat tire. 3 cents of tape could add up to $100 for a new rim, in some cases.

the Simple Strap isn't disposable, and is not likely to be discarded as trash, on the trail. electrical tape is more likely to be tossed to the side and forgotten about.

and the Strap doesn't leave sticky, dirty residue on your seatpost.

mtbr member
    Something's up with your 'site, Kyle. After a couple of seconds of viewing "something", it changes to the generic 'Network Solutions' web page.

J

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks for the heads up. everything looks fine when i go to the site but, i'll look into it with for detail.
    thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think There's a strap like that one in a crappy saddlebag I have laying around. I'll see if it works.

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2008
    Looks like the same straps used for a multitude of things including securing pumps, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think something like the fox racing big seat bag is just fine. you can zip up the expandable section to make it more compact, or open it to hold more stuff.
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

Ride Everything
    I actually have one of Kyle's straps, and use it to hold my battery. I didn't pay full pop for it, but I will say that it works better than the generic hook-and-loop strap that it replaced.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Members who have read this thread: 0