Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 123 of 123
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,146
    Spin composite wheels. The expensive ones that warp when you lean your bike up against the wall for a while, and there's no way to service the hubs.

    -1 piece cranks
    - girvin flexstem fir sure


    Don't forget these for some sick braking action>

    *edit: apparently my ability to post pics was short lived.

    Imagine a big purple "brake booster" and purple peace symbol cable holder
    Last edited by WHALENARD; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:40 AM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  2. #102
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Skottsparc View Post
    Dude ... you need to ease up on those bars or you going to snap them.
    I've ridden Multi day stage races, enduro's, downhill and some marathon races on bikes with gripshift. Never once, ever have I misshifted, or shifted when I shouldnt have.
    All 3 of my bikes are fitted with gripshift - 2 are Eagle 12 speeds and my hardtail has 1 x 11.
    i'm guessing you've never broken a frame or a fork in half either. doesn't mean it doesn't happen...


  3. #103
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,014
    I'm eager to get back to the square taper BBs and quill stems.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DethWshBkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    ...square taper BBs....
    Hold the phone there. At least those didn't creak, and were universal. You didn't need 15 engineering degrees and a set of voodoo masters to make sure you had the right BB.....
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

  5. #105
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,752
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Spin composite wheels. The expensive ones that warp when you lean your bike up against the wall for a while, and there's no way to service the hubs.

    -1 piece cranks
    - girvin flexstem fir sure


    Don't forget these for some sick braking action>

    *edit: apparently my ability to post pics was short lived.

    Imagine a big purple "brake booster" and purple peace symbol cable holder
    The brake boosters worked quite well on Magura HS brakes, as they were so powerful they’d simply bow out your seat stays when you hit the brakes, but setting the brakes up was a major PIA because the alignment and spacing was real finnacy, they finally started including the booster with the 33s, but there were lots of aftermarket ones for a while. While the 33s were technically QR, it wasn’t really and we dremeled some of the booster to make it moreso. These were the best solution for all weather and conditions braking for a while (way better than cantis), but with lots of quirks and compromises.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    The brake boosters worked quite well on Magura HS brakes, as they were so powerful they’d simply bow out your seat stays when you hit the brakes, but setting the brakes up was a major PIA because the alignment and spacing was real finnacy, they finally started including the booster with the 33s, but there were lots of aftermarket ones for a while. While the 33s were technically QR, it wasn’t really and we dremeled some of the booster to make it moreso. These were the best solution for all weather and conditions braking for a while (way better than cantis), but with lots of quirks and compromises.
    I never ran those magura brakes but did try the boosters with canti brakes. It did seem to limit flex but never noticed a difference in actual braking power. It looks like those hydrolic rim brakes held on with the trials crowd for a while. ALL rim brakes suck to set up. I remember meticulously using a dime or better yet tiny wood shims to get the pad angle right only to move around when cinching them down. Man what a PITA!
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  7. #107
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation: rideit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,251
    There really were no other options besides the Maguras for trials...they were hands down the most powerful brakes out there for years.
    Last edited by rideit; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:26 PM.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

    And then we eat them."

  8. #108
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Hold the phone there. At least those didn't creak, and were universal. You didn't need 15 engineering degrees and a set of voodoo masters to make sure you had the right BB.....
    I'm just sore...I've picked up a bunch of old road bikes this week for winter projects and the first one I dig into has 1 crank loose, and one crank frozen. BB is French thread. The quill stems can be rather stylish, but it's been a long time since I had to thread a handle bar out of a stem that didn't have a removable face-plate.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  9. #109
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,481
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I'm just sore...I've picked up a bunch of old road bikes this week for winter projects and the first one I dig into has 1 crank loose, and one crank frozen. BB is French thread. The quill stems can be rather stylish, but it's been a long time since I had to thread a handle bar out of a stem that didn't have a removable face-plate.
    LOL
    One thing technology improved, stems with removable face plates. Could be the best improvement ever, right behind Lock On grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    905
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Imagine a big purple "brake booster" and purple peace symbol cable holder
    Sooo.....this shouldn't be on my current cross bike? (apparently purple was out of stock)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All the Worst Dream Build-bike.jpg  


  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,146
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx View Post
    Sooo.....this shouldn't be on my current cross bike? (apparently purple was out of stock)
    Nah, silver is ok.

    I had the onza pedals and don't remember them being all that bad. I can say the tall thick canti onza brakes were a big improvement over stockers. Paired with Pauls levers they were as about as good as got back then.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  12. #112
    29er convert
    Reputation: BurkC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    171
    Lefty fork.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    ---------
    I once had an awkward moment just to see how it felt

  13. #113
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,771
    to be legit

    it needs a vyro crankset

    https://bikerumor.com/2016/03/02/fir...-to-gearboxes/

    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  14. #114
    EAT MORE GRIME
    Reputation: 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    3,771
    or Browning smart shift

    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

  15. #115
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,752
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    One thing technology improved, stems with removable face plates. Could be the best improvement ever, right behind Lock On grips.
    Yeah, we replaced that one with shift levers that no longer come with clamps and the clamps that available require you to take your grips off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  16. #116
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, we replaced that one with shift levers that no longer come with clamps and the clamps that available require you to take your grips off.
    Man, I am behind the curve, sounds ingenious.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  17. #117
    Weekdays..
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    5,122
    Those too damn thick cables..and anti-endo bolt
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    video=youtube;][/video]...

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,735
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    A 'new' one (as in currently manufactured)
    Suspension handlebars, with elastomers!
    Kills two birds with one stone!

    https://fasstmtb.com/products/flexx-...in-bike-enduro
    The reviews for this are actually fantastic: "They really do work I stole them of my dads bike because I wanted to try them. the difference is incredible they help so much and its sudle you cant feel them moving under your hands. Its a much more comfortable way to ride. I love them."

    You know, it's nice to have fun and laugh with this thread but I'm really concerned that this kid's dad is gonna beat the ever loving shit out of him when he goes to take a ride and finds his bike has no handlebars.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  19. #119
    the half breed devil
    Reputation: shekky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    3,564
    purple anodized anything.

  20. #120
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    Walmart Carbon Fiber "Hyper" MTB.
    Don't tell this guy:


  21. #121
    Bikesexual
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,884
    Lol ^^ I was going to post that video. His voice gets on my nerves!
    The Orange Fleet:

    '16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

  22. #122
    the discerning hooligan
    Reputation: MOJO K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by scott o View Post
    ...i'm really concerned that this kid's dad is gonna beat the ever loving shit out of him when he sees how his son spells the word "subtle".
    fify
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

  23. #123
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    32,481
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    fify
    Classic! I had to search there for a minute to see what you were referring to.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. The Worst of the Worst
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 1 Week Ago, 04:01 PM
  2. Replies: 130
    Last Post: 08-26-2018, 03:15 PM
  3. Your dream bike. How do you dream you'd get it?
    By andyb_aka_shredward in forum Riding Passion and Stories
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 12:45 AM
  4. Clyde All Mountain Dream Build - Go!
    By RideEagleCO in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM
  5. Replies: 60
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 01:05 AM

Members who have read this thread: 331

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.