Air travel with your bike as luggage- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Air travel with your bike as luggage

Was wondering if any of you have done bringing your bikes on planes. I am just not sure if its feasible or practical to do so. I see carrying cases for $200. Can any of sure your experience? Any nightmares?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2003

good .. but was it just luck?

I rented a hard case from a local shop, cost was $5/day. I also scored airline tickets that allowed me to take the bike on the plane for no extra cost. It was a good trip, nothing went wrong. Although I was worried about security taking a look at the case. I just could not imagine those people taking time to put my ti frame back without dinging it. In the future I will look into shipping it with UPS.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

travel with bike

Quote Originally Posted by psychojylo
    Was wondering if any of you have done bringing your bikes on planes. I am just not sure if its feasible or practical to do so. I see carrying cases for $200. Can any of sure your experience? Any nightmares?

Thanks!
    have heard of people splitting their f/s bikes into two airline sized boxes and avoiding ther extra cost..if your a norba member you can bike fly free on united or if you join league of americian cyclist ( i think this is the right group) they have bikes fly free on frontier and one other airline..i just used a sturdy cardboard box last time and really reinforced it..ship[ping a bike ups is a real risk in my book seeing the way they have delivered small packages to my house all smashed up..

Always Learning

Travails of air travel with a bike as luggage...

Thanks!
    I've been back and forth overseas several times with a bike and even a few times with bikes as luggage (travel with the family). In addition, plenty of domestic travel with a bike. The most difficulty I have had is flying with 2 tandems to participate in a big week long ride. But that's an entirely different topic and best suited for tandem specific message boards.

Try reading everything you can at a site like these which is filled with links and information about the rules of every airline and other transport carriers:

http://www.bikeaccess.net

Plenty of good stuff about packing your bike in boxes, using bike cases and links to all of the companies and products you need. I have always traveled simply using a cardboard bike box and sustained no damage whatsover with my bikes over the years by packing the bike properly in the box and using packing material between all parts could potentially rub.

BB

Do It Yourself

Thanks!
    I did a trip accross the country with my bike this past summer. It's a full susp so to avoid any charges/hassles, I packed everything but the wheels (bike and riding gear) in a large suitcase. Used a separate large box to put the wheels/tires in. I packed all my street clothes in a carry-on. It made it 3 legs each way, no problems.

Security did take my Y-wrench and ratchet wrench that was in my carry-on so don't try to take any tools on the plane with you. It's best to check everything bike related.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You can check a bike free of charge on Frontier and another (US West?) if you're an IMBA member. Don't know if you meet all of those criteria. I borrowed a buddy's box and did it last spring. A little work to get it all to fit. I had a decent sized FS rig. UPS is likely to be cheaper and potentially easier - no worries of them wanting to open it or something. S

Jan 2004

Flying with bikes

I have flown with my bike more times than Id care to admit. DO NOT ship your bike with UPS. They have destroyed two of my rides...one of which was an Ebay deal. I find that shipping USPS or Canada-post is better surprisingly. If you are going to fly with the bike, most companies will charge you extra if you tell them it is a bike. Instead declare it is art (well, its not like it isnt!) and put it in a plain brown strudy cradboard box and insure the **** out of it. Because of the art they wont charge extra and will hopefully be a little more careful. good luck

Rollin' a fatty

My experience is ...

Buy or rent a bike travel case, some bike shops rent them.

My bike travel experience hasn't been the best of all, no cases were available for rent so I took it on a bike box (well packed). I had to pay an additional $100.00 for the oversized package on AA and on my way back they crew threw the box and bent the der hanger and my rear rotor. One lesson learned, if I can rent a bike I'll do that if not will purchase or rent a decent travel case.

Keep The Rubber Side Down

A few rules I go by

Thanks!

If I'm only going to ride for one day, I just try to rent a bike while out vacationing. It's not worth the hastle and expence to bring a bike for just one ride. If I'm riding twice or more, I'll either rent a bike case and bring it down with me, or ship the bike. I have a local shop that rents case for $50/5days. I've rented from them so many times that I could have bought one by now. I hope to be able to get one or two by March. For AZSF, I'll bring both bikes. Because of this and the cost of bringing two bikes on a plane, I may take my chances with UPS. I also get a cheaper rate from UPS if I use the company's account. I may use hard cases to ship them via UPS for a little more protection.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I jst pay the 80$ bike charge. I use a crateworks bike box--just their basic cheap model and it has held up w/no signs of abuse or wear.

Dec 2003
    i travel on business a decent amount, and after looking at all the hassle and cost of flying w/your bike, i always end up renting. if all airlines let you check your bike for free, i'd buy a case and take it along, but usually the cost of the oversize luggage ends up being as much if not more than renting at your destination.

Jan 2004

Yep

I went British Airways to Spain and just took my bike in a regular old LBS card board box and had no problems.

Jan 2004
    I would not use anything but a hardcase (if ya lke your bike) I have shipped bikes many times UPS and had NO problem. I go to Ny for 10 days and ship the road bikes ahead benn doing this for years.....

Mike

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike
    I would not use anything but a hardcase (if ya lke your bike) I have shipped bikes many times UPS and had NO problem. I go to Ny for 10 days and ship the road bikes ahead benn doing this for years.....

Mike
    This may be a dumb question, but when you ship via UPS, where do you ship to?

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by kevint
    This may be a dumb question, but when you ship via UPS, where do you ship to?
    probably to a lbs, or the hotel, or to wherever you're staying. you obviously have to coordinate with the people at the end destination.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    have heard of people splitting their f/s bikes into two airline sized boxes and avoiding ther extra cost..
    Last night I started a thread to find out more info on doing exactly that.

I'll check out the bike shipping site mentioned above.