mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Advice on buying new HT for someone returning to biking....750ish budget

Hi all,

After a long absence, I've decided I want to get back into cycling. There wasn't a day go by when I was younger that I wasn't on my bike, and I feel the time is right to take advantage of my cycle to work scheme (UK) and get myself a new ride and get back in the saddle!

As my budget is 750, I'm looking at a HT as it would appear that a FS at that price range is going to be fairly poor. Also, during the week I plan to use the bike for a 5-mile commute to work (1 or 2 times, plus return journey), so I think a HT will be more appropriate for this, but still allow me to have some fun if I want.

I had narrowed my search down and was about to buy a Cube Reaction Pro 2018 for 749 (RRP 1049) from a local store, then I started doing more reading and research, and seem to have talked myself out of the decision (mainly doubts about the fork travel and damper, everything else seems great). However, I don't think I can find anything similar for the same sort of money, so maybe it is the best I can do around 750 or less (the 2019 version appears identical spec wise and is 999).

I originally only wanted to spend around 500 and would have gone for the Voodoo Bizango, but I can't use my cycle to work voucher at Halfords.

Others I had looked at were, but I seemed to think they weren't as good a package as the Cube:
    Giant Talon 1 2018
    Whyte 605 and 805
    Vitus Sentier 29
    Scott Aspect 900 2016

My main riding will be XC (I think), but I know the more I ride, I might want to get on some trails and more testing ground, so I don't want the bike to come up short if I want to pursue more (I would like to have room to spare so it would cope with most things, not necessarily looking for it to handle everything with ease as I'm realistic on what's possible at the price point).

I'm just over 6" and the guy in the shop suggested a 29er over a 27.5, however, I'd probably be happy with either. The Cube Reaction TM seems great at 899, and the Giant Fathom 2 too at slightly more, but I can't justify spending that much. I also can't go with a used bike as the cycle to work scheme is for new bikes only.

I think I would need a 2 x 10/11 drivetrain given there will be some road use during the commute. I'm not sure if 1 x 11 etc will give me the speed I need at times.

So I'm basically looking for confirmation that the Cube Reaction Pro at 749 is a good deal, it works out about 560 once tax savings and deductions have been factored in through the cycle to work scheme, but those additional savings would be made on any bike I choose to go with. I've tried to do as much research as possible so I'm not being a noob and wasting peoples time, but there may be some bikes around 750 or less that I have not come across or I've ignored for the wrong reasons.

I hope you're able to spare a couple of minutes to point me in the right direction and help me get back on the road (and dirt)!

Cheers,
    Andy

Not helpful.
    I dunno, man, that 2018 Reaction Pro seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. 4" of travel in the front is nothing to sneeze at.

A concern I have is that a 21" frame would be too large. Does it come in a smaller size?
    I wouldn't even get my hair cut except it's near the liquor store and it seems like my eyebrows need trimming now and then.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I dunno, man, that 2018 Reaction Pro seems like a pretty sweet deal to me. 4" of travel in the front is nothing to sneeze at.

A concern I have is that a 21" frame would be too large. Does it come in a smaller size?
    Hey Finch thanks for the advice. It's not actually from CRC, that was just the link I used. The guy in the shop recommended large, and they do have a 21" as the display model so I will be able to check at least if that's what I opt for.

I didn't think 100mm was inadequate at first, and to be honest I can't even remember what review made me think otherwise. I think they also mentioned the damper not being as good on the Recon Silver TK, so I was just wanting to do a double check there wasn't a better alternative I'd overlooked (or not found) within budget.