Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    _CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014

30 day no alcohol challenge - 2019

Getting ready to quit drinking for 30 days again in January. Did this the past two years with great success, and thought I'd post it up again for anyone else who's looking to make a positive change in their life.

New for me this year will be the addition of being low carb / sugar free as I've been on a ketogenic diet since March of last year. Keto has been a real game changer, among other things, I lost 20 pounds on it from my Jan 1st 2018 weight, and maintained that through the year, where I normally gain back at least ten pounds between July 4th and Dec 31st.

Who's in? I'm in. Are you in?

Obligatory disclaimer:
    This isn't about getting into a 12 step program, or admitting you have a problem, or any of that stuff....it's more of a reset, or a cleanse, and maybe for some people a first step in making some bigger changes.

As with previous years, If you think it's stupid, have negative comments, want to argue, or want to sing the praises of alcohol, please move along.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Did all of January last year, was excited to do it again this year and I'm off to a good start!

For me it's mostly just an easy way to drop the ten pounds I gained over the holidays, but there are a multitude of benefits of course... Money saved is one I'm excited for as well.

CEO Product Failure
    I'm in. No alcohol and restricting my diet to no sugar and low carbs.

High Desert MTBer
    Any change that involves less alcohol consumption is all good in my book!

30 day no alcohol challenge - 2019-49407186_524716254699461_8368712371455131648_n.png

There's far too many hangovers out there
    It's all Here. Now.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I lasted lasted until New Years Day Brunch.

Name:  Kramer.gif
Views: 794
Size:  499.5 KB

But my wife and I are otherwise doing well on our low-carb plan.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Any change that involves less alcohol consumption is all good in my book!
    I did find last year that it helped curtail consumption even after January just by making me realize how unnecessary it is... But that effect had all but disappeared by the holidays, which is why it's a good time to start over.

mtbr member
    838 days into the 30 day challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    In!

Last year during this challenge, I cane to realize that I don’t enjoy getting drunk as much as I used to, and the hangovers are worse. So for all of 2018, I never had more than 1 drink in a day. Turns out, I like not being hungover!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Started my 30 day alcohol free challenge (after much thought) in July of 2017. Still alcohol free with no regrets. Thanks to all on this site!

3rd Coolest
    People still drink alcohol? I thought everyone was going green.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    In for 30+ days in 2019, after all the holiday cheer I need to lose a few pounds

Hi There!
    In once again.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I'm 30 years into my alcohol free month.
    8 years into caffiene free and 2 years into refined sugar free.

Which means yeah I'm in by inference. Let me know if you want to go for longer

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ehfour View Post
    In for 30+ days in 2019, after all the holiday cheer I need to lose a few pounds
    Only two days in and I'm down six pounds. (There are probably some other factors, but those are the facts.)

Your bike sucks
    here you go:

"But, according to a new study, if you can manage to go alcohol-free for just one month, the benefits are enormous."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...Wqk?li=BBnb4R7

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    here you go:

"But, according to a new study, if you can manage to go alcohol-free for just one month, the benefits are enormous."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...Wqk?li=BBnb4R7
    Here's the same study being discussed in a slightly less click-baity article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1228164834.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    8 years into caffeine free and 2 years into refined sugar free.

Good job.........I'm 40+ years into my alcohol free month,.....but you have be beat on the other two!!
    I Pity The Fool That Can't Ride A Bike Without A Dropper!!

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Here's the same study being discussed in a slightly less click-baity article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1228164834.htm
    oh wow, these are some heavy drinkers - 4x drinking per week with 8 drinks/session is certified drunk territory.

For those of use who have 1-2 drinks in the evening I can't imagine any benefit at all.

Your bike sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    oh wow, these are some heavy drinkers - 4x drinking per week with 8 drinks/session is certified drunk territory.

For those of use who have 1-2 drinks in the evening I can't imagine any benefit at all.
    2 drinks... 400 calories ~200 each)... 7 days a week = 2800 calories
    2 drinks before bed = interrupted rem and sleep patterns

^not really taking you to task on this, but pedaling the point that even minor changes in habits can yield some surprising changes - esp. when done consistently

mtbr member
    8 years into caffiene free and 2 years into refined sugar free.

Nice work! Any tips for going refined sugar free--I have a much harder time giving up sugar than booze.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    in again.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014

That does seem odd... Especially since they say drinking days a week average around four, drinks consumed on a drinking day average around eight and yet frequency of being drunk was only around three times per month. Are these people saying they can have eight drinks and not be drunk? Something is off with those numbers, thanks for pointing it out.

I disagree greatly with your last sentence though. 1-2 drinks a day is averaging around 12 a week... That's $20 a week if it's decent beer. Not to mention the calories and sleep already pointed out. I absolutely can tell the difference in how I sleep after a beer or two versus none at all.

A drink or two every single night is a habit. Habits, particularly those with negative financial and health consequences (minute as they may be), should be evaluated from time to time in my opinion. I often drink more than one or two on weekend evenings, but many, many weeknights go by where I don't drink at all. I'd actually be even more interested in this if I was drinking every single day, even if it were only one a day.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    That does seem odd... Especially since they say drinking days a week average around four, drinks consumed on a drinking day average around eight and yet frequency of being drunk was only around three times per month. Are these people saying they can have eight drinks and not be drunk? Something is off with those numbers, thanks for pointing it out.

I disagree greatly with your last sentence though. 1-2 drinks a day is averaging around 12 a week... That's $20 a week if it's decent beer. Not to mention the calories and sleep already pointed out. I absolutely can tell the difference in how I sleep after a beer or two versus none at all.

A drink or two every single night is a habit. Habits, particularly those with negative financial and health consequences (minute as they may be), should be evaluated from time to time in my opinion. I often drink more than one or two on weekend evenings, but many, many weeknights go by where I don't drink at all. I'd actually be even more interested in this if I was drinking every single day, even if it were only one a day.
    It's a European study, and their "drinks" are calculated differently than Americans. I think it's something like two "units" per beer or something like that.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid Duffman View Post
    Nice work! Any tips for going refined sugar free--I have a much harder time giving up sugar than booze.
    The key to getting off sugar is to limit your insulin response, which means reducing carbs across the board. Whole grains, fruit, honey, and raw sugar all have the same effect on your body. There's certainly an adaptation phase when going low carb, but once you're past it, you'll stop craving sugar, and bread, and stuff like that altogether, and you won't get hungry in the way you did in the past.

One of the interesting things I found with going to a low carb diet was that my interest in alcohol also fell off. My theory is that most of the alcohol I was drinking had high levels of sugar/carbs. Beer, wine, etc. And now when I do drink low sugar/carb drinks (whiskey and water, light beer, etc.) it's different. There isn't that "high" or crazy buzz that I used to get with craft beer and other high carb drinks, so it's pretty rare that it gets away from me the way it used to.

Lots of people who give up drinking double down on sugar, and I think it's related to insulin response. The high sugar/carb drinks were feeding their addiction to sugar, so they just substitute with non-alcoholic sugar.

CEO Product Failure
    Only two days in and I'm down six pounds. (There are probably some other factors, but those are the facts.)
    I'm down 5lbs! But I haven't had time to exercise yet. Been slammed with work and household (plumbing) emergencies--which made beer sooo tempting.

mtbr member
    I simply looked at packets and cut out anything that had added sugar. It's hard at first because most stuff has added sugar. But you can find alternatives.
    It didn't go low carb. Quite the opposite I'm carb man, porridge, bread, potatoes, naturally occurring sugars in fruits etc all good, I also small amount of dried fruit raisins, dates.

It knocks our basically all the crap that you don't need. Ice cream, cakes, biscuits, sugar filled drinks.

You can make some non sugary alternatives to the junk if you want. Eg mango, orange sorbet with ripe bannana to sweeten it.

I also allow a max of 5% sugar content for some packet stuff if I've searched high and low and can't find a no sugar alternative.

Give yourself 3 months to get over the sugar and your body to reset it's taste expectations. After that it's easy to give it up long term. What was once glorious is now sickly sweet. Ice cream for example. I loved icecream. Now if I taste it, all I can taste is the henious amounts of sugar. Stuff that I used to find bland now is tasty. It completely resets your pallet.

If you can get to that pallet resetting point then you no longer crave the crap, you don't feel like your missing out, it becomes the new norm.

Ditching the refined sugar was a game changer for me. My endurance increased dramatically, weight dropped off, 9kg later my hillclimbing is way better, descending is better to. I have more energy to attack the trail. Mentally I'm tougher. I'm able to analyse an ride more technical track with ease, that afternoon fog has gone. I can get a solid day of work without burning out.

The benefits of giving up the refined sugar are so huge for me that I can't go back to the old lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm in.
    Already 7 days with no drinks and plan to go longer than just a month...
    Keto is awesome, i started on the 2nd. Use MCT oil and keep your electrolytes up to avoid feeling bad during adaptation. I lost almost 50 lbs 3 years ago and a life change set me back. Time to get back to what i know works.
    My weight on the 1st was 228lbs I'm hoping to lose 12lbs by Feb. (lots of waterweight)

No known cure
    In. I've gained seven pounds in the past two days. I don't eat fast food or drink soda; mostly salads and meat, and tons of water.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtb'er
    In. I need to change my avatar ;-)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    It's a European study, and their "drinks" are calculated differently than Americans. I think it's something like two "units" per beer or something like that.
    Interesting, I'll do some reading. Thanks for the insight!

Lots of people who give up drinking double down on sugar, and I think it's related to insulin response. The high sugar/carb drinks were feeding their addiction to sugar, so they just substitute with non-alcoholic sugar.
    This was discussed in the thread last year and I think it's worth keeping an eye on.
    Last edited by AVL-MTB; 1 Week Ago at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    There are other things wrong with your body if 2 drinks a day makes you feel less good than before. Maybe less drinking is the solution, probably you should be looking at fixing deeper issues as well.

Really? Seems like more and more studies cite the downsides of drinking even small amounts. Just about any amount of alcohol can adversely affect an athletes performance.

I would like to participate in the 30 day challenge but I'm somewhat of an alcoholic and enjoy my 2 beers/day a little too much. Maybe I'll try knocking it down to 1 for awhile.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    There are other things wrong with your body if 2 drinks a day makes you feel less good than before. Maybe less drinking is the solution, probably you should be looking at fixing deeper issues as well.
    Citation? Science does not support that... So what are your credentials?

I'd argue that if you're having two drinks a day every single day and have for years you need to be fixing deeper issues, but until you proved yourself to be so judgmental while also totally full of hot air I was going to keep that opinion to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    You guys sleep better with out any drinks? One or two beers a night always helped me fall asleep. A pint of whiskey does the trick too, but that makes waking up the next morning difficult
    It's not about falling asleep, it's about quality of sleep. I do fall asleep easier when I've had a drink or two, but I don't wake as rested. Try it out, you might find the same.

(Science verifies that REM, the 'restful' part of sleeping that renews your energy, is suppressed by alcohol; you cycle through the shallower stages of sleep more and spend less time in REM. I can provide citation if you'd like, but a quick google should suffice.)

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Really? Seems like more and more studies cite the downsides of drinking even small amounts. Just about any amount of alcohol can adversely affect an athletes performance.

I would like to participate in the 30 day challenge but I'm somewhat of an alcoholic and enjoy my 2 beers/day a little too much. Maybe I'll try knocking it down to 1 for awhile.
    'Studies?' It almost sounds like you're trying to use actual facts to discuss this topic, that's clearly not what he's interested in.

Maybe just make a mental note to ask 'do I need this one?' before you crack each beer this month. My guess is that alone will drop the number a bit.

Your bike sucks
    Every year this thread goes a little sideways before getting back on the rail. A living metaphor for the topic. Meta.

Anyway - for those doing the challenge, awesome. Do it eyes open and enjoy the journey. No matter what you do in life, if it's personal to you - regardless of how others layer their own values/decisions or detract from your efforts - you are moored by your own intention. That is a great orientation - for you, by you and on your own terms.
    Last edited by Carl Mega; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Best of luck to all who have chosen to examine their behavior, it is in doing so that we begin to find a path to increased happiness.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I simply looked at packets and cut out anything that had added sugar. It's hard at first because most stuff has added sugar. But you can find alternatives.
    It didn't go low carb. Quite the opposite I'm carb man, porridge, bread, potatoes, naturally occurring sugars in fruits etc all good, I also small amount of dried fruit raisins, dates.

It knocks our basically all the crap that you don't need. Ice cream, cakes, biscuits, sugar filled drinks.

You can make some non sugary alternatives to the junk if you want. Eg mango, orange sorbet with ripe bannana to sweeten it.

I also allow a max of 5% sugar content for some packet stuff if I've searched high and low and can't find a no sugar alternative.

Give yourself 3 months to get over the sugar and your body to reset it's taste expectations. After that it's easy to give it up long term. What was once glorious is now sickly sweet. Ice cream for example. I loved icecream. Now if I taste it, all I can taste is the henious amounts of sugar. Stuff that I used to find bland now is tasty. It completely resets your pallet.

If you can get to that pallet resetting point then you no longer crave the crap, you don't feel like your missing out, it becomes the new norm.

Ditching the refined sugar was a game changer for me. My endurance increased dramatically, weight dropped off, 9kg later my hillclimbing is way better, descending is better to. I have more energy to attack the trail. Mentally I'm tougher. I'm able to analyse an ride more technical track with ease, that afternoon fog has gone. I can get a solid day of work without burning out.

The benefits of giving up the refined sugar are so huge for me that I can't go back to the old lifestyle.
    I was shocked to learn that 10 grams of sugar...it is so easy to eat stuff with way more sugar than this, even yogurt...is the equivalent of 2.5 teaspoons of sugar.

I ended up switching from Greek yogurt to cottage cheese.

In general, I don't worry too much if my primary source of simple carbs is in the form of fruits and vegetables.

I also look at things like glycemic load. If I understand the concept correctly, you can eat something somewhat high in carbs, like multi-grain bread, and it won't have as dramatic an effect on your insulin output if you combine it with something with a low glycemic index, like peanut butter. Please correct me if wrong.

And don't get me going on articles I've read, even on this website, where the sugar industry shifted the blame for heart disease from sugar to fat, pretty much erroneously.

Sugar is friggin' everywhere.

Just so I won't be completely off topic, I quit drinking 29 years ago...I heard the first thirty years are the easiest...and I know I weigh less and ride better as a result. I'm also not such a jerk at parties.

Speaking of parties. All you drinkers who think you are funny, witty and insightful after a few drinks, I got news for you, you're not.

Okay, sorry, I'm climbing off my high horse now.

Good luck to everyone and their 30 day challenge.
    Last edited by myt1; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I was shocked to learn that 10 grams of sugar...it is so easy to eat stuff with way more sugar than this, even yogurt...is the equivalent of 2.5 teaspoons of sugar.

I ended up switching from Greek yogurt to cottage cheese.

In general, I don't worry too much if my primary source of simple carbs is in the form of fruits and vegetables.

I also look at things like glycemic load. If I understand the concept correctly, you can eat something somewhat high in carbs, like multi-grain bread, and it won't have as dramatic an effect on your insulin output if you combine it with something with a low glycemic index, like peanut butter. Please correct me if wrong.

And don't get me going on articles I've read, even on this website, where the sugar industry shifted the blame for heart disease from sugar to fat, pretty much erroneously.

Sugar is friggin' everywhere.

Just so I won't be completely off topic, I quit drinking 29 years ago...I heard the first thirty years are the easiest...and I know I weigh less and ride better as a result. I'm also not such a jerk at parties.

Speaking of parties. All you drinkers who think you are funny, witty and insightful after a few drinks, I got news for you, you're not.

Okay, I'm climbing off my high horse now.
    Another interesting point is that different peoples bodies react/absorb foot differently/ Its to do with gut microbes and body types.

Processed breads Without added sugar don't affect me adversely. However i have a couple of buddies who pack on the beaf if they eat bread.

So you have to apply other peoples advice and see how your body reacts. Whats good for me might not be good for you.

Dusting Trails
    This year also marks my 30 years free from alcohol and drugs, and 27 years free of cigarettes. I hit 67 last year, and have to feel better than I would if I was still ripping it up.
    Life is short - enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Great thread.
    I have an open wine and a couple of beers still in the fridge but once they're gone I'm going to try to abstain for 30 days.
    I stopped drinking in the late summer and fall and lost weight and got off that path during the holidays.
    Main reason I'd like to stop again, though, is sleep... Received a Samsung smart watch for the holidays with a sleep monitoring function on it and I noticed that even though I lay down to sleep for 8 hours the watch displays less than 5 hours of motionless sleep, the other 3 are split between light and restless. I want to see how the lack of alcohol affects that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'm in! Starting today so I can have a couple glass's of wine with my wife on her birthday (2/10) then maybe finish out Feb if I notice I feel better...

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Guys,

Please stick to the topic. This thread is for those who want to challenge themselves to abstain from alcohol. If you want to join the challenge, please post and be encouraging to others. If you want to brag about how much you drink and how it doesn't affect you, go to the beer forum. Don't hijack the thread.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Thanks!

Today (well tonight) marks a week for those of us who started on the first! This past weekend brought a lot of circumstances that I'd normally crack a beer for, but choosing not to had zero negative impact on my enjoyment. That alone is a good thing to remember.

No known cure
    Thanks!

Today (well tonight) marks a week for those of us who started on the first! This past weekend brought a lot of circumstances that I'd normally crack a beer for, but choosing not to had zero negative impact on my enjoyment. That alone is a good thing to remember.
    I really haven't thought about it. The break has been nice, I feel better and I figure I've saved around $150.

CEO Product Failure
    Thanks!

Goodonya!

One week later, cravings have stabilized and sleeping better each night. The first 4-5 nights were rough--woke up several times, didn't feel like I was getting deep sleep, couldn't sleep more than 5 hrs. I chaulk all that up to DT's.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I follow this guy on YT, and he posted a video yesterday that has some interesting info related to our topic here. Kind of explains why sleep isn't as good after drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNH_u-A6RZk

I follow this guy on YT, and he posted a video yesterday that has some interesting info related to our topic here. Kind of explains why sleep isn't as good after drinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNH_u-A6RZk

I can agree on that. If I have two beers before bed time, I have nightmares. Weird but true. I try to abstain from beer for a whole week, Saturday to Thursday. I will have one or two on Friday nights. That's about it.

Meatbomb
    In... we do a cleanse every year that is pretty much a vegan diet for a month and no alcohol.

For some reason I go against the grain in the sleep department. A couple scotches around dinner and I sleep like a baby. Sub cranberry /grapefruit juice mix and I'm up all night and unable to shut my brain down.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    In... we do a cleanse every year that is pretty much a vegan diet for a month and no alcohol.

For some reason I go against the grain in the sleep department. A couple scotches around dinner and I sleep like a baby. Sub cranberry /grapefruit juice mix and I'm up all night and unable to shut my brain down.
    I think that's actually normal on sleep... Falling asleep and even staying asleep is easier with alcohol, but the quality of sleep is lower because you are not in REM. REM is actually not 'deep sleep' so you can be in deep sleep all night and still not be getting the benefit of the more restful REM sleep.

Rocks belong
    Soft start on 12/15. No booze Jan 1.

Sleeping like a baby - was not the case before.

Also cleaning up diet and ramping up exercise. Curious to see how clothes fit come Feb 1.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014

It's the sugar (cranberry /grapefruit juice mix). And that vegan diet is likely high carb, aka sugar. If you're eating soy for protein, there's a whole load of problems there too. The standard vegan diet is not good for you.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    In. I've gained seven pounds in the past two days. I don't eat fast food or drink soda; mostly salads and meat, and tons of water.
    Sounds like you should have gained a ton of weight then.....

Meatbomb
    It's the sugar (cranberry /grapefruit juice mix). And that vegan diet is likely high carb, aka sugar. If you're eating soy for protein, there's a whole load of problems there too. The standard vegan diet is not good for you.
    No... cranberry juice is a concentrate with no sugar added and the grapefruit is fresh squeezed from my tree (substituting tangelo juice tonight) Diet ( I may be wrong calling it vegan ) has been stuff like straight salad with vinegarret or quinoa (never an spell that) and stir fried veggies ect.... No meat, dairy, sugars etc... Almond milk and oatmeal is my biggest cheat item... I have the same issue sleeping when i don't drink and don't change my diet at all...

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    cranberry juice is a concentrate
    grapefruit is fresh squeezed from my tree
    Almond milk
    oatmeal
    sugar
    sugar
    sugar
    sugar

At least that's the way your body sees it. Look at the carb counts, not just the "sugar". I really don't want to get too deep into it here, as it's kind of off topic, but a little google research will tell you all you need to know about insulin response to those things, and how that can effect your sleep.

Meatbomb
    Does all citrus have sugar? I snack on my trees during the day...Never had an issue with high blood sugars..

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    As a general rule I don't drink juice.

I eat the fruit instead.

Eat a grapefruit instead of drinking grapefruit juice,

Yes, there is sugar in a grapefruit, but by eating the entire fruit you are also getting fiber, read pulp, that will mitigate some of the insulin response.

If the worst you do is get your sugar from eating fruit I think you are doing pretty darn good.

Sugar from cookies, brownies, cakes, chips, candy, etc, is the problem.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Does all citrus have sugar? I snack on my trees during the day...Never had an issue with high blood sugars..
    Yes, and sugar from fruit (fructose) is worse than other sugar/carbs, because it can't be immediately stored as muscle glycogen, it has to be processed by the liver and and either converted to glycogen (and stored in the liver), or turned into fat, and the liver can't store much glycogen, so most of it is converted to fat. That's right, fruit makes you fat, bacon makes you skinny.

Seriously though, entirely different topic. Lots of info out there for anyone who looks for it.

Raw fruits are fine. The problem is concentrated juices.

No known cure
    I've never had a sweet tooth, ever. But tonight I do. Six chocolate chip oatmeal cookies and counting. My appetite is insane too. I've never put away a lot of food, but I've gained a touch over ten pounds since the 1st. Tonight I inhaled seven chicken enchiladas in green sauce, and made sure there's no left over rice and beans, or salsa.

I'm back up to my normal weight of 180 (6'0"). I guess I was coming home and starting in on the IPAs and just eating enough, then going back to beer until bedtime. I'm rolling up on 49 this year. I don't feel like it and don"t look like it.(still have all my hair with no greys) and my metabolism is still quick.

I'm not sure if I'll ever drink again I feel so good. I don't even care anymore. I walk past the beer aisle that I've walked straight to for 30 years everyday and don't care. My other half drinks in front of me and I could care less. I also have new bike fever, and can justify a top shelf purchase.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Yes, and sugar from fruit (fructose) is worse than other sugar/carbs, because it can't be immediately stored as muscle glycogen, it has to be processed by the liver and and either converted to glycogen (and stored in the liver), or turned into fat, and the liver can't store much glycogen, so most of it is converted to fat. That's right, fruit makes you fat, bacon makes you skinny.

Seriously though, entirely different topic. Lots of info out there for anyone who looks for it.
    Calories in, calories out.

Although I have heard arguments where people try to say this isn't true, I'm pretty sure all those arguments pretty much defy the laws of physics.

Excess of anything, even beloved bacon, is stored as fat.

I can see where glucose is a quicker energy source than fructose, or bacon, since it gets to the muscle cells directly without a lot of intermediary steps, and makes a good choice for a quick boost during a race, but any excess sugar is stored as fat.

Yes, fat is a good nutritional source, but in my opinion, it should be plant fat, think nuts and avocados...unsaturated fats.

Saturated fats, the fats in bacon, will clog your arteries and lead to heart disease.

There are unhealthy fats and healthy fats and bacon isn't one of them...healthy that is.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I'm not sure if I'll ever drink again I feel so good. I don't even care anymore. I walk past the beer aisle that I've walked straight to for 30 years everyday and don't care. My other half drinks in front of me and I could care less.
    Thought the same thing last year, but ended up slowly creeping back to normal intake by May. If it's something you really want to stick with make sure to harden your resolve this month.

It is funny how easy it is. Went to a brewery with friends last night and truly enjoyed a few glasses of water with my burger instead. When the check came I appreciated abstaining even more!

mtbr member

Although I have heard arguments where people try to say this isn't true, I'm pretty sure all those arguments pretty much defy the laws of physics.
    While this is true, strictly speaking, it's important to remember that this is not a mechanical system, and we need to consider how physiology influences the physics/math.

The 'calories out' are influenced by the 'calories in.' About 2/3 of the 'calories out' comes from the basal metabolic rate (the energy your body uses to keep your body functioning while resting). If you simply calorie restrict (too much), your body slows the basal metabolic rate, and you will be sluggish, struggle to reach high intensity efforts, can't raise the heart rate effectively . . . This is at least one of the reasons why calorie restriction alone doesn't work for sustained weight loss.

The composition of the 'calories in' has a role as well. A big dose of refined sugar enters the blood stream very quickly, and causes a big spike in insulin, which will act to store away all that excess sugar, and send your body into 'rest and relaxation' mode. More complex carbohydrates take some time to break down, especially when paired with fiber, which slows the absorption into the blood stream, blunting the insulin spike, and your body can stay active and burn that sugar as it trickles in.

In other news, the no alcohol thing is going great. Haven't missed it at all yet. Late January, I'm going to a wedding and several drinking buddies from college will be there. It will be a good test of will-power.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014

Excess of anything, even beloved bacon, is stored as fat.

I can see where glucose is a quicker energy source than fructose, or bacon, since it gets to the muscle cells directly without a lot of intermediary steps, and makes a good choice for a quick boost during a race, but any excess sugar is stored as fat.

Yes, fat is a good nutritional source, but in my opinion, it should be plant fat, think nuts and avocados...unsaturated fats.

Saturated fats, the fats in bacon, will clog your arteries and lead to heart disease.

There are unhealthy fats and healthy fats and bacon isn't one of them...healthy that is.
    Nope.

It's not even close to being that simple. While calories certainly play a role, hormones (insulin, cortisol, etc.) play a bigger role. This is why you see some people who eat very little but remain fat, and others who eat tons of food remain skinny.

Almost everything we've been told (sold) by the medical establishment the last 50 years is BS. Saturated fat is good for you. Cholesterol is good for you. Bacon fat in particular is high in Omega 3 fats (good for you). The reason people's arteries get clogged is because of inflammation, caused by carbs/sugar, and then cholesterol is deployed to repair the damage in the arteries caused by the inflammation.

Eat bacon, lose fat

The real cause of clogged arteries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5RkNboD-Js

Rocks belong
    Edit: ramblings

Bacon tastes good. Glad to hear it's "healthy" again?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Can we cut out some of the diet stuff guys? It's very interesting and probably deserves its own thread, but it makes it tough to sort through and find the on-topic posts in here.

Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    Edit: ramblings

Bacon tastes good. Glad to hear it's "healthy" again?
    Ah, see... A perfectly good post lost to the diet talk.

I happened to catch it, so I'll post it below in hopes to get us back on track:

I'm using LooseIt app. Lots and lots of veggies. Trying hard to avoid eating anything that is white in color.

Hell, just removing the 2-3 IPA's I was drinking every day or two will easily remove 3500 calories/week from my diet. Add to that, I'm burning 500 calories/day 4-6 days a week through increased exercise. (Was only recently cleared for activity due to two injuries that had me sidelined. Was eating too much New Mexican food and drinking too much beer/whiskey, as well as sedentary due to recoveries.)

So my Dry January is for health and vanity. And sanity?
    Feeling good is the goal for sure, coming off injuries you've got a recipe for some quick gains! Cutting out booze will be a jumpstart to that!

No known cure
    Thought the same thing last year, but ended up slowly creeping back to normal intake by May. If it's something you really want to stick with make sure to harden your resolve this month.

It is funny how easy it is. Went to a brewery with friends last night and truly enjoyed a few glasses of water with my burger instead. When the check came I appreciated abstaining even more!
    I rarely drink when I'm out since. I'm always the driver. I always stick to water. At home is another story, and then there's the two fun dive bars within walking distance of the house. I've saved so much cash though that my bank balance is a deterrent.

Rocks belong
    Can we cut out some of the diet stuff guys? It's very interesting and probably deserves its own thread, but it makes it tough to sort through and find the on-topic posts in here.
    Ha. I edited because it was more diet discussion...

Feeling good is the goal for sure, coming off injuries you've got a recipe for some quick gains! Cutting out booze will be a jumpstart to that!
    Thanks. I'll admit, in the past I haven't been able to complete a dry January, which is why I did the soft start on 12/15. I planned on doing Dry January, but (honestly), my alcohol consumption trend was to the point where I was worried about cold turkey. So I "quit" on 12/15 knowing that I would allow myself to enjoy drinks Christmas Eve, Christmas and NYE. Really wanted an Irish Whiskey on New Years Day, but I got past it.

Thanks to no booze, I'm tempted to eat less crap. I've dropped the initial water weight and expect a plateau in the next week. I expect sleeping through the night to work wonders on my fitness goals.

Last MTB ride was August 11th, 2018 (day of the crash). Doc says I can't grip a handlebar until March, so my goal is lean and mean by the time that glorious day returns.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Ha. I edited because it was more diet discussion...
    It's not supposed to be, let's fix that!

Thanks. I'll admit, in the past I haven't been able to complete a dry January, which is why I did the soft start on 12/15. I planned on doing Dry January, but (honestly), my alcohol consumption trend was to the point where I was worried about cold turkey. So I "quit" on 12/15 knowing that I would allow myself to enjoy drinks Christmas Eve, Christmas and NYE. Really wanted an Irish Whiskey on New Years Day, but I got past it.

Thanks to no booze, I'm tempted to eat less crap. I've dropped the initial water weight and expect a plateau in the next week. I expect sleeping through the night to work wonders on my fitness goals.

Last MTB ride was August 11th, 2018 (day of the crash). Doc says I can't grip a handlebar until March, so my goal is lean and mean by the time that glorious day returns.
    Sounds like a good plan based on your knowledge of self... A plan for success for sure!

Funny that so many are saying they eat more, I'm with you; having a bit more clarity (even if the difference is very slight) in the evenings seems to help me snack less and choose more wisely when I do. I'm not craving sweets, in fact I'm more motivated to make healthy decisions in all facets of my life right now - probably just because I'm more cognizant of how my choices affect how I feel right now.

Being off the bike that long would be tough for me and would probably lead to a slew of unhealthy habits as well. Good on you for getting out in front of it and making a plan so when you can get back out there you don't feel like you 'lost it' in the interim. Good luck, keep us posted!

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Fair enough, but diet is inter-related to the topic. Sleep quality, weight loss, etc. are also being discussed here, but we don't need to be arguing about it.

For me, the combination a ketogenic diet, being alcohol free, intermittent fasting (not eating for 16-24 hours a day), and exercising in a fasted state, seems to be generating some very positive results. Down 6 pounds as of yesterday, energy is improving, mood is improving, etc. I've never been keto and alcohol free, and it seems to be helping me push through a plateau I've been sitting on for a while now.

On the drinking front.....I almost cracked on Sunday, but I recognized it for what it was and pushed on through. Once past that point, my interest in having a drink disappeared, and hasn't returned. Same thing happened when I gave up sugar. Same thing happened with caffeine (although I'm back on caffeine now). My wife on the other hand has declared this to be dumb, and had a drink after an especially stressful day at work on Monday. Didn't bother me a bit.

2x is underrated
    Citation? Science does not support that... So what are your credentials?

I'd argue that if you're having two drinks a day every single day and have for years you need to be fixing deeper issues, but until you proved yourself to be so judgmental while also totally full of hot air I was going to keep that opinion to myself.

It's not about falling asleep, it's about quality of sleep. I do fall asleep easier when I've had a drink or two, but I don't wake as rested. Try it out, you might find the same.

(Science verifies that REM, the 'restful' part of sleeping that renews your energy, is suppressed by alcohol; you cycle through the shallower stages of sleep more and spend less time in REM. I can provide citation if you'd like, but a quick google should suffice.)

'Studies?' It almost sounds like you're trying to use actual facts to discuss this topic, that's clearly not what he's interested in.

Maybe just make a mental note to ask 'do I need this one?' before you crack each beer this month. My guess is that alone will drop the number a bit.

Hmmm...shouldn't this be a positive support thread?

I've had a beer more or less every day since 2015, but I got a cold a couple of weeks ago and quit drinking. I had two 16-ounce beers in the last two days, and guess what. I love the taste, but I don't really feel the need to drink now, so I think I'll wind it down and maybe have one on the weekends or when I'm stressed or at a restaurant or some other occasion. I really don't feel the need to drink daily, it was more of a 'tasting' ritual, and it's not something that is very important to me.

I do get sleepy after drinking, but I sleep normally with or without alcohol, and me falling asleep early doesn't do wonders for my romantic life at midnight, so that may be helped too.

Let's get to the scientific evidence of whether drinking is helpful or not. The answer is: yes and no. It depends. You guys probably already knew that, or guessed that. One person can have multiple drinks every day for life, and be perfectly fine. Another may have their life completely ruined. You have to take a good hard look in the mirror and ask yourself which of those people you really are. Life is not fair. Some people have the genetics and personality to handle drinking every day, some don't. My mom's side of the family has a lot of alcoholics. And trust me, they have had a lot of problems, including getting fired on the job for drinking. And yet with drinking I can take it or leave it. I'm lucky, they aren't. Again, whoever said life is fair is full of crap.

Studies have shown that moderate 1-2 drinks per day can help reduce stress. And the scary thing is that even heavy drinkers tend to have LESS major depression than non-drinkers. That to me says that society itself is causing the stress problems, for everyone, whether they drink or not. But people who can't handling drinking should still not drink, no matter what the statistics say. You are not a population of numbers, you are one person, one data point, and socially, either alcohol for you is OK or it's not, there is no in-between.

Below are some references for further reading:

The heritability of alcoholism is around 50-60% (Enoch, M., 2003).

Alcoholism is comorbid with antisocial personality disorder, anxiety, and depression (Enoch, M., 2003b).

“Alcoholism may develop in response to a depressive illness, more so in women than in men, but far more often depression is a consequence of drinking (alcohol)” (Victor, M., & Ropper, A., 2001, p. 1233).

Enoch groups alcoholics into two types: 1 – later onset, high harm avoidance, guilt, anxiety, and 2- early onset, low brain serotonin, impulsive, antisocial, often male (Enoch, M., 2003).

Alcohol contributes to over 10% of all deaths in the USA (Barnes, H. Aronson, M., & Delbanco, T., 1987).

Some historians go so far as to claim that agriculture was invented to produce large amounts of grains to be used in fermented alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine. For example, in the late Iron Age, Sumerian civilization had produced at least 19 different ales from wheat, barley, and other grains (Wharton, C., 2001, p. 56).

In one study on alcohol and its varied effects on individuals, about one in ten individuals were found to be intoxicated at an alcohol blood level of 0.05% (roughly two drinks). However, one in sixteen individuals were found to still be ‘behaviorally sober’ when their blood level was an otherwise lethal 0.40% (16 drinks). The other 83% of drinkers in the study fell somewhere in-between the two extremes (Tetter, W., 1938).

Rats placed on a diet with multiple nutrient deficiencies all consumed alcohol at high levels. Replacing the deficient nutrients caused all rats to eventually eliminate alcohol consumption; some rats stopped drinking alcohol overnight. Similar results were obtained with sugar consumption in place of alcohol consumption (Williams, R., 1956, p. 183).

A study performed in 1997 found that Americans convicted of violent crimes were high on cocaine just 3% during the crime, while 21% were alcohol intoxicated during the crime (Grant, J., 2007, p. 320).

Both non-drinkers and heavy drinkers (6 or more alcoholic beverages / day) are 40% more likely to die from all causes than people who have 1-2 drinks per day (Gronbaek, et. al., 1994). However, this study was conducted in Denmark, a country whose population consumes alcohol regularly. A similar future study in China or Nigeria may not yield the same conclusions.

Although alcohol is a depressant pharmacologically, it can actually act as an antidepressant clinically (Lipton, R., 1994).

1-2 alcoholic drinks/day may reduce the incidence of stroke, while several alcoholic drinks/day may triple the risk of stroke (Carper, J., 2000, p. 327).

Comorbid mental disorders such as depression combined with other mental disorders, alcohol abuse, and/or drug use result in life expectancies up to 20 years lower than normal (Cloninger, C., 2006).

Both alcohol and nicotine affect the HPA axis in multiple ways, including stress-like cortisol responses (Lovallo, W., 2006). In addition, drug and alcohol-free addicts often experience a blunted cortisol response to stressors, thus reinforcing the need for drug use to augment a ‘correct’ cortisol response to stressors. This effect also appears to bypass the normal cortisol negative feedback loop, since cortisol administration reinforces cocaine craving in addicts (Elman, I., Lukas, S., Karlsgodt, K., Gasic, P., & Breiter, H., 2003).

Chronic alcohol consumption can destroy cholinergic neurons (Arendt, T., 1994).

One study in non-human primates found that when they were exposed to either sugary or alcohol-containing solutions, the primates that had high preference for sweet solutions also preferred alcohol more than average; this was found to have a strong genetic component, was correlated with low serotonergic function, and the genetic influence was heightened by early parental deprivation (Higley, J., & Bennett, A., 1999).

Am J Public Health. 1994 Dec;84(12):1913-7.
    The effect of moderate alcohol use on the relationship between stress and depression.
    Lipton RI

OBJECTIVES:
    The purpose of the study was to determine whether moderate alcohol use mediates or buffers the effect of stress on depression in a group of non-Hispanic White men and women.
    METHODS:
    Data are from the Los Angeles Epidemiological Catchment Area cohort. Individuals were assessed at two time periods, 1 year apart. Mean depression scores were analyzed for each level of stress and alcohol use.
    RESULTS:
    In the simultaneous presence of both chronic strain and negative life events, a U-shaped pattern was observed in which abstainers and light and heavy drinkers had higher depression scores at the second time period than did light-moderate and moderate alcohol users. The U-shaped relationship remained when the effects of sex, age, and physical health status were controlled.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    Light-moderate and moderate drinkers had less depression in the presence of stress than persons in other more extreme drinking categories. Moderate alcohol use may serve as a proxy for a spectrum of generally moderate behaviors that either attenuate the effect of stress on depression or suppress the effects of stress.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Fair enough, but diet is inter-related to the topic. Sleep quality, weight loss, etc. are also being discussed here.
    I agree, but you guys were going down a rabbit-hole that was threatening to swallow up the thread. (And did already cause one poster to second-guess even posting.)

On the drinking front.....I almost cracked on Sunday, but I recognized it for what it was and pushed on through. Once past that point, my interest in having a drink disappeared, and hasn't returned. Same thing happened when I gave up sugar. Same thing happened with caffeine (although I'm back on caffeine now). My wife on the other hand has declared this to be dumb, and had a drink after an especially stressful day at work on Monday. Didn't bother me a bit.
    Nice work! I haven't had any strong urge yet, but I'm sure it will happen. Probably after a long ride at some point, that's when I really crave the taste of good IPA the most.

I get that to some people it's dumb and that's fine. It isn't some universally necessary exercise, but I think it's helpful for me... And if nothing else I told myself I'm doing it so now I need to follow through.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Hmmm...shouldn't this be a positive support thread?
    Yes it should, which is why I responded to his negativity the way I did. Someone coming in here to accuse those of us participating of having 'larger issues' while drinking more than I do rubbed me the wrong way, sorry if it offended you indirectly.

Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Let's get to the scientific evidence of whether drinking is helpful or not. The answer is: yes and no. It depends. You guys probably already knew that, or guessed that. One person can have multiple drinks every day for life, and be perfectly fine. Another may have their life completely ruined. You have to take a good hard look in the mirror and ask yourself which of those people you really are. Life is not fair. Some people have the genetics and personality to handle drinking every day, some don't. My mom's side of the family has a lot of alcoholics. And trust me, they have had a lot of problems, including getting fired on the job for drinking. And yet with drinking I can take it or leave it. I'm lucky, they aren't. Again, whoever said life is fair is full of crap.

Studies have shown that moderate 1-2 drinks per day can help reduce stress. And the scary thing is that even heavy drinkers tend to have LESS major depression than non-drinkers. That to me says that society itself is causing the stress problems, for everyone, whether they drink or not. But people who can't handling drinking should still not drink, no matter what the statistics say. You are not a population of numbers, you are one person, one data point, and socially, either alcohol for you is OK or it's not, there is no in-between.
    We actually are not discussing alcoholism. IMHO this thread and this exercise are not sufficient for people with those issues. This is about overall health.

You use the word 'handle' a lot. That's a good word because it implies that alcohol is a negative (again for overall health, not just issues like alcoholism) that the body tolerates. Helping to decrease stress is great and has some tangible benefits for overall health, but it does not negate the face that our bodies are simply not 'designed' to process alcohol and so there are negative ramifications of doing so.

I'm not preaching that it's terrible for you by any means, I'll be having a nice IPA or two on February 1 for sure, but anyone who denies that it is an unhealthy habit is fooling themselves. It's not good for you, but in moderation it isn't so bad for you to be avoided outright either. It's best people keep that in perspective.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    I'm not preaching that it's terrible for you by any means, I'll be having a nice IPA or two on February 1 for sure, but anyone who denies that it is an unhealthy habit is fooling themselves. It's not good for you, but in moderation it isn't so bad for you to be avoided outright either. It's best people keep that in perspective.
    I think it really depends on the person. For some people, any amount is bad because it will lead to more and more and more, and eventually kill them. For people like my wife, who never ever have more than two drinks a day, it probably is good for them, especially women. At least that's what the latest science shows. For me, having a drink every day is a bad plan. I feel much healthier if I go a few days in a row without a drink and give my body a chance to get centered again. Mostly I do that by not drinking during the week, but during the holidays this year, I was having at least one drink a day. It feels good to have it all flushed out of my system again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I think it really depends on the person. For some people, any amount is bad because it will lead to more and more and more, and eventually kill them. For people like my wife, who never ever have more than two drinks a day, it probably is good for them, especially women. At least that's what the latest science shows. For me, having a drink every day is a bad plan. I feel much healthier if I go a few days in a row without a drink and give my body a chance to get centered again. Mostly I do that by not drinking during the week, but during the holidays this year, I was having at least one drink a day. It feels good to have it all flushed out of my system again.
    Just friggin' quit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I'm doing this, cool to find a support thread. Kind of scary to think that it's only been 9 days and that's likely the longest I've gone without a beer in years!

Mostly, I just want to be more productive in the evenings. It's so easy to grab a beer and get lazy after a long day at work when it's cold and dark by 5pm. So far, so good. Maybe I'll even try my hand at building a set of wheels with money saved.

Good luck to everyone participating!

mtbr member
    Hi everyone. Back in again today for at least the next month, 3rd year in a row doing this challenge. Gets easier every time, and over the last few years has completely reduced my overall consumption for the whole year. Planning on having my next beer in Moab, while camping over spring break. Good luck everyone.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I guess I'd need to delve deeper into the research to feel more certain, but I just get the impression from what I have read that alcohol always negatively impacts some part of the body... There are definitely some benefits as well and for some they may outweigh the negatives, but that's different from saying there are no negative effects. (Again, I could be wrong but that's my impression from the research that I have done.)

Quote Originally Posted by yagr68 View Post
    I'm doing this, cool to find a support thread. Kind of scary to think that it's only been 9 days and that's likely the longest I've gone without a beer in years!

Mostly, I just want to be more productive in the evenings. It's so easy to grab a beer and get lazy after a long day at work when it's cold and dark by 5pm. So far, so good. Maybe I'll even try my hand at building a set of wheels with money saved.

Good luck to everyone participating!
    Funny that you discuss focus in the evenings and wheel building. I just got halfway through my first wheel build after the wife and kid went to sleep and realized that if it weren't for this challenge I'd have had a beer or two while I did... And likely messed something up as a result (not necessarily due to buzz, just an unfocused mind that even a beer or two seems to cause.)

I also totally agree on the evening productivity. As a new father I need to make the most of my evenings and too often I was cracking a beer and watching TV. Now it seems like I have little interest in TV since I don't have beer slowing down my ADHD. Takes me a tad longer to get to sleep because of this, but it's worth it for the better quality sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Hi everyone. Back in again today for at least the next month, 3rd year in a row doing this challenge. Gets easier every time, and over the last few years has completely reduced my overall consumption for the whole year. Planning on having my next beer in Moab, while camping over spring break. Good luck everyone.
    Awesome on all counts!

Rocks belong
    Kind of scary to think that it's only been 9 days and that's likely the longest I've gone without a beer in years!
    Right there with you bud. It is kinda scary.

Maybe I'll even try my hand at building a set of wheels with money saved.
    hell yeah! I've got a set or two to build up in the next week or two.

Takes me a tad longer to get to sleep because of this, but it's worth it for the better quality sleep.
    Funny - I'm falling asleep quicker (likely due to my sudden increase in exercise after 4+ months of being sedentary from 2 injuries). When I lay in bed, it "feels" good and my body is ready to sack out.

Typically, I would fight to stay asleep all night. (And if I woke up, I'd fight to fall back asleep). The last few mornings I've been naturally waking up before my 6AM alarm clock.

Pulled my belt in 1 notch this morning

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I want a beer.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The increase is dreaming is super evident for me. Not surprising since an increase in REM is well documented, but dang... It feels like a week of dreams every night!

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I want a beer.
    Drink some tea. Go do the dishes. Get a load of laundry going. Pay some bills. Work on your bike, car, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Big test today. An old friend is in from out of town and he wants to hit the bars for Friday happy hour. It's going to be a pretty funny evening of people trying to get me to have a beer. Anyone that really knows me realizes that every bit of peer pressure just makes me want to stay the course just to win. Should be fun!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Drink some tea. Go do the dishes. Get a load of laundry going. Pay some bills. Work on your bike, car, etc.

Yup, get busy and you'll forget about it. I've stayed busy way later than normal so far and by the time I even consider it it's late enough that just getting in bed is the right call anyway.

For the record, I've still got a few nice beers in the fridge... Haven't crossed my mind once. I'll miss a stout on my snow ride Sunday, since that's my normal tradition, but it'll be just fine. I'm sure we'll get snow in February too.

Big test today. An old friend is in from out of town and he wants to hit the bars for Friday happy hour. It's going to be a pretty funny evening of people trying to get me to have a beer. Anyone that really knows me realizes that every bit of peer pressure just makes me want to stay the course just to win. Should be fun!
    Last year I told people when it came up, this year I'm just saying no thanks. They'll appreciate a sober ride and you'll have a good time being clear-minded observing things... Kinda sad when the part of the night hits that your friends start yelling in your ear the same stuff over and over. You don't notice it so much when you're one of them, but even after just a few most people become pretty obnoxious and boring (seems like an odd combo but it's true).

Rocks belong
    Sprite or soda with a lime floating in it.
    Coke.

In college a buddy went stein for stein with another friend during an Oktoberfest party. Little did one of the contestants know, the other contestant switched to iced tea. None were the wiser - but guess which one felt better the next day?

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    This came across my feed this morning. Thought some of you might appreciated it.

Your Predisposition is Not Your Future

“External success is achieved through competition with others. But character is built during the confrontation with your own weakness.”

Rocks belong
    Almost caved. Went to a cooking class/dinner last night and there was a free, make your own margaritas bar. My inner cheapskate wanted a free marg.

Stayed strong

mtbr member
    Almost caved. Went to a cooking class/dinner last night and there was a free, make your own margaritas bar. My inner cheapskate wanted a free marg.

Stayed strong
    Strong work!

I also find it really hard to turn down free booze.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cheated and had an odouls. non alchoholic beer.

Stand-up philosopher
    I'm in. I decided at my yearly physical in December that I was going to cut alcohol. My doc showed me where I am on the fatass scale and I had more trail miles in 2018 than I've ever had. I'm riding way too much to be getting fat. I started an 16/8 IF the day after Christmas and haven't had any alcohol since the 2 beers I had on NYE. I was already cutting way down after that physical. I've dropped 14 pounds since December 17th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    That's not cheating. I had one at a club meeting on Wednesday. I normally drink Coors Light at those meetings, but the odouls filled the void quite well.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    I'm in. I decided at my yearly physical in December that I was going to cut alcohol. My doc showed me where I am on the fatass scale and I had more trail miles in 2018 than I've ever had. I'm riding way too much to be getting fat. I started an 16/8 IF the day after Christmas and haven't had any alcohol since the 2 beers I had on NYE. I was already cutting way down after that physical. I've dropped 14 pounds since December 17th.

Great work! As Diamond Dave says, you can't exercise your way out of a bad diet.

Rocks belong
    I've dropped 14 pounds since December 17th.
    Well done, sir

All fat, all the time.
    I might give this a shot one of these days. I don't drink a lot, but the last time I've gone more than 2 weeks without a drink? Yikes I dunno.

The budget side alone, a year of no drinking, can probably buy a fancy new carbon wonder-bike and still have pizza money left over.

That's not cheating. I had one at a club meeting on Wednesday. I normally drink Coors Light at those meetings, but the odouls filled the void quite well.
    I drink O'douls or other European N/As. I drink it for the taste, not alcohol; thus, N/A beer satisfies me quite well.

CEO Product Failure
    Apparently my 40+ yr old metabolism is allergic to alcohol, sugar and carbs. Bearing in mind this program started after the holidays and my jeans were a little bit more snug than what I'd prefer, I am now easily now one jean size smaller and all my suit jackets feel/look like tents.

Regardless, the halfway point is getting near!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Nice! Still in- lots of opportunities to get pulled off course..still dry

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    I drink O'douls or other European N/As. I drink it for the taste, not alcohol; thus, N/A beer satisfies me quite well.
    I think this is the first time I've heard someone say O'douls tastes good...

I think this is the first time I've heard someone say O'douls tastes good...
    Yep, I like it. No alcohol calories to deal with. Happy customer.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Two weeks down! All downhill from here!

Sprite or soda with a lime floating in it.
    Coke.
    Good thing to point out - a sprite/ginger ale/tonic or even water in the right glass with a lime will help avoid explaining to people if out at a bar... Pretty dang refreshing too!

Stayed strong
    I close the bike shop on Friday nights, always free beer in the fridge... But some friends came in with more as we were closing. I too have a very hard time turning down free anything!

Strong work!

I also find it really hard to turn down free booze.
    Not as hard as free food at least! Free pizza is the best pizza!

This came up last year too, not cheating at all! Just goes to show that you like the flavor, not just the alcohol. I think that's a good thing!

Awesome, great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I might give this a shot one of these days. I don't drink a lot, but the last time I've gone more than 2 weeks without a drink? Yikes I dunno.

The budget side alone, a year of no drinking, can probably buy a fancy new carbon wonder-bike and still have pizza money left over.
    Yup, lots of money to be saved. Going out to eat and not getting a beer or two drastically changes your bill!

Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Apparently my 40+ yr old metabolism is allergic to alcohol, sugar and carbs. Bearing in mind this program started after the holidays and my jeans were a little bit more snug than what I'd prefer, I am now easily now one jean size smaller and all my suit jackets feel/look like tents.

Regardless, the halfway point is getting near!
    Nice work! Yes, two weeks in and halfway tomorrow!

Rocks belong
    Yup, lots of money to be saved. Going out to eat and not getting a beer or two drastically changes your bill!
    Not to mention calories to be saved. Been using the LoseIt! app to track my daily calorie consumption. Went out to dinner last night for work. Lots of calorie laden food. I was the only one at the table that didn't drink. Once I got home, I was tally'ing my calories for dinner... scared of how bad it put me over budget for the day.

Surprise, surprise - it was a 1250 calorie dinner (ouch!), but by not drinking the 2-3 IPA's I would normally drink, it wasn't a 2000 calorie dinner. And I still slept well last night. Luckily, I burned 547 cal at the gym during lunch and only ate 743 calories for breakfast and lunch... so my "net" calories for the day were 1446 calories.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I can go for weeks without drinking. I don't really feel like I 'need' to drink at any point to be honest. I will have a drink in social situations or dates. If I'm being anti-social or don't have dates lined up, I generally don't drink. And there are times I party. And I party hard. Those days aren't over, but I hate myself for it because I will have 2-3 day hangovers. And the cycle of not drinking begins again. Until I decide to party. Again.

I don't count calories. I do my best to live and consume in moderation, within reason. I'm not above drinking Coors Light or eating a McDonald's breakfast sandwich. And I'm not below eating a healthy serving of food that my food eats. I do things that make me feel good(most of the time) and I don't feel like I should forcefully restrict myself to anything. If it feels right, it feels right. Even when I'm binge drinking.

I did notice that I look less bloated with the lack of alcohol. I'm of Asian/Pacific Islander descent so I have a very very mild allergic reaction to booze. I turn red and swell up ever so slightly. I've been booze free since the wee hours of New Year's Day, and I'm not necessarily missing alcohol. But I won't turn down a beer or cocktail if given the opportunity.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Down 8 pounds as of yesterday, and feeling healthier than I have in years. Decades maybe. I've stopped drinking before, and been keto for a while now, and have done IF before, but never all three at the same time. Thinking there might be something to this combination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast