Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    Down 8 pounds as of yesterday, and feeling healthier than I have in years. Decades maybe. I've stopped drinking before, and been keto for a while now, and have done IF before, but never all three at the same time. Thinking there might be something to this combination.
    "IF"? Intermittent fasting?
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Weight loss isn't going so well for me (seem to be yo-yoing 5-7 lbs every two days, think it's all related to how late I eat dinner though since I weigh myself first thing in the AM), but that's OK... At least it'd be going worse if I added worthless beer calories and there was no dire need to begin with. As weather warms up it takes care of itself anyway. Definitely feeling better though.

This year is proving to be a little tougher than last. Right now it's because of all the snow - just begs for a nice stout or porter after a good snow ride. In general though I'm finding myself in a lot of situations where it'd be easy to cheat... But I've been happy to show some resolve and just remind myself that it's only one month. I'm not the best with will-power typically, so it feels good to stick to something solely because I said I would.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    "IF"? Intermittent fasting?
    Yes. I do a 16/8 deal, usually nothing but water and coffee between 8pm and noon, and I try to do my rides/exercise in a fasted state, in the morning. Sometimes on the weekends, I may get a later start and then pretty much only eat dinner, so that's a 24 hour fast. But I also do one or two days a week of three square meals too.

What I forgot to mention earlier is that up until this week, I've been feeling worse than usual, and really starting to wonder if this whole process was worth it. I hate to sound all hippy dippy, but it's kind of like I was de-toxing, and now I'm really bouncing back. Skin is improving too, which is supposed to be one of the benefits of stopping drinking.
    Last edited by _CJ; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Yes. I do a 16/8 deal, usually nothing but water and coffee between 8pm and noon, and I try to do my rides/exercise in a fasted state, in the morning. Sometimes on the weekends, I may get a later start and then only pretty much only eat dinner, so that's a 24 hour fast. But I also do one or two days a week of three square meals too.

What I forgot to mention earlier is that up until this week, I've been feeling worse than usual, and really starting to wonder if this whole process was worth it. I hate to sound all hippy dippy, but it's kind of like I was de-toxing, and now I'm really bouncing back. Skin is improving too, which is supposed to be one of the benefits of stopping drinking.
    You and I are doing very similar things diet-wise. I think the crappiness you were feeling could have been a bit of keto flu. With the booze and beer gone, even though I eat keto now, my body was still adjusting to being off the carbs from the beer and booze...at least that's how I was feeling. Feeling more dialed in each passing day.

I really don't drink beer anymore, switched almost exclusively to clear distilled spirits with a LaCroix type mixer. The carbs in beers and mixed sugary drinks make me feel like death warmed over, re: keto dieting. I've got a lot of homebrew equipment sitting idle this last year or so. Anymore, a pint feels like a huge meal.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Down 8 pounds as of yesterday, and feeling healthier than I have in years. Decades maybe. I've stopped drinking before, and been keto for a while now, and have done IF before, but never all three at the same time. Thinking there might be something to this combination.
    Good for you man. People on Keto drink Michelob, but the alcohol calories are still bad for you.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    Weight loss isn't going so well for me (seem to be yo-yoing 5-7 lbs every two days, think it's all related to how late I eat dinner though since I weigh myself first thing in the AM), but that's OK...
    I, too, noticed that I initially lost weight... then swung up 4 lbs for a couple days. Got super discouraged. But then it all fell off in the following days.

I'm not the best with will-power typically, so it feels good to stick to something solely because I said I would.
    Damn right. It does feel good to stick to your guns, if for no other reason than you told yourself you were going to.

Down 8 pounds as of yesterday, and feeling healthier than I have in years.
    Glad to hear you're seeing the rewards of your efforts!

My reward was this morning - my Carhartt jeans fit, straight out of the dryer, without me having to do a whole series of squats to loosen them up
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    You and I are doing very similar things diet-wise. I think the crappiness you were feeling could have been a bit of keto flu. With the booze and beer gone, even though I eat keto now, my body was still adjusting to being off the carbs from the beer and booze...at least that's how I was feeling. Feeling more dialed in each passing day.

I really don't drink beer anymore, switched almost exclusively to clear distilled spirits with a LaCroix type mixer. The carbs in beers and mixed sugary drinks make me feel like death warmed over, re: keto dieting. I've got a lot of homebrew equipment sitting idle this last year or so. Anymore, a pint feels like a huge meal.
    I've been keto for about nine months now, so probably not keto flu, but I guess it's possible that I kicked my self out of ketosis long enough that I had to re-adapt. I did drink some "big" beers over the holidays, ate a few Christmas cookies, and I was having at least one drink a day. It'll be interesting to see how reintroducing alcohol on weekends effects things.

For the most part I stick to low carb alcohol - Michelob Ultra (2.5 carbs), Coors Lite (5 carbs), Session Lager (5 carbs), and whiskey/water (0 carbs), but the more I read, the more I'm realizing there are far more effects than just calories, or carbs. There are hormonal changes, and changes in your brain chemistry that last for days or weeks after drinking.

I've also been taking a "liver cleanse" supplement twice daily, and I have to wonder if that's been playing a role.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    More than three weeks in, less than ten days left... And most importantly only one more weekend! Weekdays are easy (I typically don't drink during the week anyway) but these cold, snowy weekends are starting to get to me!

Meatbomb
    Took me a couple weeks but I've finally stared to sleep a bit better. Without a couple drinks I find it hard to turn my brain off when trying to sleep. In the process of losing my job so I'm sure that does not help mush either.

Down 4 lbs.

mtbr member
    While I'm not an active participant in this thread (because I still occasionally drink), I do have to say that my desire for a good cocktail has diminished over the past several months.

That being said, I'll drink typically one eve a week (weekend with family or friends). I used to love it 2-4 eves a week, but no longer.
    Don't say what you mean, you might spoil your face...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    More than three weeks in, less than ten days left... And most importantly only one more weekend!
    Haha, I've been counting by weekends as well! There are a lot of activities that would typically involve drinking coming up this weekend. I volunteered to drive so now I really have no choice but not to drink. I've also turned not having to drive into an art form over the years so I definitely owe a few rides anyway

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am in vegas for a trade show. it is actually eaiser than I thought, not to drink here. But I did have the missus put the budlight on the deck for when I get home.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    I am in vegas for a trade show. it is actually easier than I thought, not to drink here.
    I was in Vegas all last week. I got grief from co-workers when I ordered iced tea at dinner the first night, but didn't hear a peep afterwards. I was feeling a heck of a lot better than they were each morning!

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    It's all downhill from here. Thank god for non-alcoholic beer. It has really bridged the gap on a few occasions. I've found I prefer St. Pauli Girl NA to O'Douls though.

mtbr member
    Hope everyone is hanging in there.
    I started late, day 8 for me. First 3 days were rougher than I thought, especially as I went to the supermarket and walked to beer aisle out of habit. Shakes head.
    Don't even think about it now and even down 2 pounds.
    Keep it up, everyone
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Stand-up philosopher
    I am in vegas for a trade show. it is actually eaiser than I thought, not to drink here. But I did have the missus put the budlight on the deck for when I get home.
    There's a legal alternative to alcohol in Vegas... Just sayin.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    There's a legal alternative to alcohol in Vegas... Just sayin.

you can smell it everywhere. I will be home on Wednesday and am saying close enough to the end of the month. Been a good month. Last night I was at a banquet with free drinks and stayed a good boy. Fat bike ride Wednesday morning and buddy lights Wednesday afternoon while packing for Molokai with the wife.

Rocks belong
    Last night I was at a banquet with free drinks and stayed a good boy.
    Whew, free booze is tough to turn down! Way to stay strong!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    That's been me every Friday night closing up the bike shop... Slow season so there's always a regular coming in for what is essentially a happy hour, except they supply the beer! So happy to be able to join the fun this week - instead of being the grumpy guy trying to rush people out so we can close up.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    For anyone who likes N/A beer, Hineken just introduced Heineken 0.0 in U.S. Pretty stoked about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    thank you

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Last day! Got out for snow rides that last two days, with beers offered by riding buddies both days. Those were tough to turn down, but I'm too close to quit now!

Preemptive cheers to all of you for tomorrow night!

Rocks belong
    Going double or nothing... going to try to stay strong until end of February. Anyone with me?

Edit: down 12-13 lbs since December 15th. LoseIt! app says I could be at my target riding weight by 2/28... So there is definitely some vanity for my desire to hold out from IPA's for another 28 days.

Double edit: Meant stay strong until end of February... 1st day of a ski trip at Taos is Thursday, Feb 28th and I'm sure as hell gonna drink a beer at the end of a day of skiing!

I've got two trips coming up in February that are going to make it tough, but not having a hangover will help out with plans for the weekend!
    Last edited by 06HokieMTB; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I actually went beer shopping so I don't think I'm going another month. I'm actually struggling to maintain weight here, feel like I'm withering away! I definitely feel stronger and in better shape so I've been riding as much and as long as the daylight has allowed.

It's been an interesting month and I think I'm going to drink less going forward, just not totally abstain. Kudos to everyone who made the effort to try something different.

Stand-up philosopher
    I made it. I was thinking about pushing through February as well, but this last week has been a struggle. I've had beer in the fridge the whole month and had just bought some 12 year tullamore right before Christmas.

20 pounds down since the week before Christmas.

--
    stephen

High Desert MTBer
    NA beer is just silly in my opinion. Why bother? It all tasted crap to me when I stopped drinking. All the crap with none of the 'benefit'! If you are an alcoholic, it is strongly advised against too. Just another crutch. I drank it for a short while before sense prevailed.
    It's all Here. Now.

Rocks belong
    20 pounds down since the week before Christmas.
    Wow! Be proud of yourself man!

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    Great work guys! I'm really impressed with the weight loss reported. Down 10 pounds myself. One month was plenty, definitely NOT going to carry on with this deal, but may do another month mid-year, or maybe just a few weeks here or there. The deep sleep thing really kicked in after a couple of weeks. Hadn't realized what I was missing there.

There were definitely a few times when I was wondering why the hell I was even doing this, with no support whatsoever around me in my personal life, but this group really helped me stay the course.

To everyone who contributed here, I'd like to say THANK YOU! and best of luck going forward.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I didn't lose any weight. Guess I went too hard on the late night snacks in place of a cold beverage. Hoping to cut that out moving forward.

I do have some other month challenges in mind I may try... Pick something each month to give up just to see if I can. Got an idea for February, we'll see how I do.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Nice job guys! who lasted the month

Was out for dinner Monday and realized that continuing on is going to be a thing for me in Feb

Stand-up philosopher
    Great work guys! I'm really impressed with the weight loss reported. Down 10 pounds myself. One month was plenty, definitely NOT going to carry on with this deal, but may do another month mid-year, or maybe just a few weeks here or there. The deep sleep thing really kicked in after a couple of weeks. Hadn't realized what I was missing there.

There were definitely a few times when I was wondering why the hell I was even doing this, with no support whatsoever around me in my personal life, but this group really helped me stay the course.

To everyone who contributed here, I'd like to say THANK YOU! and best of luck going forward.
    i was doing IF too and am going to continue that. my wife is the only one that was doing Dry January with me and we were pretty much keeping each other in check. she's kinda jealous that all i've really had to do to lose weight is cut beer. I'm cutting alcohol for week days going forward, but i'm not sure if that includes friday nights or not.
    --
    stephen

Nothing seems to kill me
    I made it. Had 3 Easy Jacks last night to celebrate. Man, they tasted so good. To no ill effects this morning. I am also going to try cut alcohol during the week going forward and maybe even try the rest of Feb after the Superbowl. Didn't loose any weight, I stay about 180-185 no mater what I do. I think the trick is just to stay busy and tackle all of those projects I have been putting off.
    And after calming me down with some orange slices and fetal spooning, ET revealed to me my singular purpose.

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    I made it. Had 3 Easy Jacks last night to celebrate. Man, they tasted so good. To no ill effects this morning. I am also going to try cut alcohol during the week going forward and maybe even try the rest of Feb after the Superbowl. Didn't loose any weight, I stay about 180-185 no mater what I do. I think the trick is just to stay busy and tackle all of those projects I have been putting off.
    i'd managed to do something every day until i hurt my foot on tuesday. weight lifting, 2-3 mile walks, bike rides, etc....... i pulled a muscle or tendon or something in my big toe. better now than when it's warm enough to really ride.
    --
    stephen

mtbr member
    Congrats to everyone that made it, and stay strong, everyone who's still going!

Following the lead of the OP and some others, I 'doubled-down' on refined carbs this month. Ate a lot of fruit, and limited whole wheat, but no added sugars or white breads. I feel frickin amazing! Seriously, I can't remember the last time I felt so good. The usual afternoon lull is totally gone, and I no longer need a cup of coffee in the morning to feel like a human. Mood and productivity and better too. I'm procrastinating much less than usual.

Moving forward, I'm going to allow a drink on evenings when I'm not working the next day. I'm so stoked on the carb-cutting that I'm considering changing from beer to whisky for the occasional drink.

Rocks belong
    I'm cutting alcohol for week days going forward, but i'm not sure if that includes friday nights or not.
    Friday nights = weekend. period.

_CJ
    membership renounced
    May 2014
    i was doing IF too and am going to continue that. my wife is the only one that was doing Dry January with me and we were pretty much keeping each other in check. she's kinda jealous that all i've really had to do to lose weight is cut beer. I'm cutting alcohol for week days going forward, but i'm not sure if that includes friday nights or not.
    I'll carry on with the diet stuff. That's really more of a lifestyle at this point. No drinking on weeknights either, but for sure, the weekend begins on Friday at 5:01.

Hi There!
    _CJ...thanks again for getting me going on this challenge. Do it every year please.

I had no alcohol until yesterday and probably won't have any again til February 18.
    NTFTC

Stand-up philosopher
    I'll carry on with the diet stuff. That's really more of a lifestyle at this point. No drinking on weeknights either, but for sure, the weekend begins on Friday at 5:01.
    I still have 2 beers sitting in my fridge that I bought before Christmas. I haven't drank a beer in my house this year. I had a pint at a restaurant last weekend along with a 2 or 3 oz of whiskey on one of the other days. There's far less calories in a small serving of whiskey than in the 2 or 3 beers I'd be drinking instead... Plus since I haven't been drinking, it doesn't take as much to get a buzz.

--
    stephen

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    First beer this year was watching the Super Bowl, and had one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I did pretty good in January. just got back from a week of vacation with the wife. I drank 2 18 packs in the week. fun week, might need to go dry again for awhile.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12