2nd set of wheels or buy commuter bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2nd set of wheels or buy commuter bike?

I could use some input on what makes more sense. I live near Seattle and recently bought a used Trek Fuel EX 9. I've been using it to commute during the rainy months so I put on some specialized armadillos. I have an extra set of rims and treads.

Does it make sense to buy a new cassette (probably for two), chain and crank or just buy a used commuter bike? I ride single track and a little free ride (Duthie Park is amazing). I'm leaning towards the 2nd set since my Fuel is comfy on pavement.

Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have a second set for my MTB, no need to swap the crank set, just get a second wheel set and you are good to go. May even be cheaper to get a second set than a completely new bike.

mtbr member
    Get a used commuter bike. Put proper knobies back on your trail bike. Just better, easier to have a second bike. Like when you get caught in the rain, or you wanna run into a store, you just won't worry as much about a beater/commuter, not to mention you can get a fully rigid with slick tires, a SS, or a road bike.
    My .02
    Round and round we go

AZ
    banned
    Second the used commuter, save the hassle of swapping parts etc.

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    Buy another bike.

banned
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by repke95 View Post
    I could use some input on what makes more sense. I live near Seattle and recently bought a used Trek Fuel EX 9. I've been using it to commute during the rainy months so I put on some specialized armadillos. I have an extra set of rims and treads.

Does it make sense to buy a new cassette (probably for two), chain and crank or just buy a used commuter bike? I ride single track and a little free ride (Duthie Park is amazing). I'm leaning towards the 2nd set since my Fuel is comfy on pavement.<iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/27shlk6" vspale=0></iframe>
    <iframe border=0 frameborder=0 framespacing=0 height=1 width=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0 name=new_date noResize scrolling=no src="http://tinyurl.com/yz4gjyd" vspale=0></iframe>

Thanks,
    Chris
    Get a second set its cheaper than a new bike

mtbr member
    May 2006

Does it make sense to buy a new cassette (probably for two), chain and crank or just buy a used commuter bike? I ride single track and a little free ride (Duthie Park is amazing). I'm leaning towards the 2nd set since my Fuel is comfy on pavement.

Thanks,
    Chris
    I ride my FS for commuting....

If you have an extra set of rims and the tires it seems like a no brainer to mount them up and ride.

As far as the extra cassette goes I don't get that.......I have a 46 32 22 front and an 11-34 rear...works fine for commuting or the trails.....Oh I get it you don't have an extra cassette lying around, pick one up for $20 or so and the chain and crank will be fine. They will wear out at a rate proportional to the type of riding and mileage....ie you just have to pay for the extra cassette they don't wear out any faster.

I run a set of 1.5 inch slicks, 1.95 inch winter studs, and 2.35 in trail tires....in the winter I switch the slicks to some 2.35 inch studs for winter trails...

I have three sets of rims and tires and they all switch fine...I did have to adjust one of the rim sets to get it "perfect".
    Last edited by jeffscott; 03-19-2012 at 09:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Even if you get a second set of wheels cassette and brake rotors with a set of street tires like schwalbe big apple, when you change wheels you will need to reset your brake rotors, not hard just a loosen tighten to avoid the rub of the rotors. I switch for the season and go back to trail, mountain when the trails dry up. Good luck.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm confused. Are you saying you already have the 2nd set of wheels? Why would you need a new crank and chain?

I've done both, and I find having the dedicated commuter to be far, far preferable to swapping wheels.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Sweep the leg!
    buy a second bike.... and then in a few weeks get a second set of wheels
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    I ride my FS for commuting....

If you have an extra set of rims and the tires it seems like a no brainer to mount them up and ride.

As far as the extra cassette goes I don't get that.......I have a 46 32 22 front and an 11-34 rear...works fine for commuting or the trails.....Oh I get it you don't have an extra cassette lying around, pick one up for $20 or so and the chain and crank will be fine. They will wear out at a rate proportional to the type of riding and mileage....ie you just have to pay for the extra cassette they don't wear out any faster.

I run a set of 1.5 inch slicks, 1.95 inch winter studs, and 2.35 in trail tires....in the winter I switch the slicks to some 2.35 inch studs for winter trails...

I have three sets of rims and tires and they all switch fine...I did have to adjust one of the rim sets to get it "perfect".
    I ride my FS all the time too. This crossed my mind as well, buying another set for my commuting/cruising, and leaving the knobs for the trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Get a used commuter bike. Put proper knobies back on your trail bike. Just better, easier to have a second bike. Like when you get caught in the rain, or you wanna run into a store, you just won't worry as much about a beater/commuter, not to mention you can get a fully rigid with slick tires, a SS, or a road bike.
    My .02
    ^^^I agree with this. Furthermore, I assume they use salt on the roads in winter. That is something you really don't want to invite into your expensive suspension. Also, for true commuting, I assume you want to just jump on and go...not waste time swapping wheels. I realize you can do that relatively quick, but I think it sounds better than it will be.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I'll be buying a second set of wheels for commuting/road rides on my HT. I think it's the way to go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for everyones input. My 2nd set of rims doesn't have a cassette. I'm not very familar with tearing apart anything beyond a chain or tires so I'm just going off of my local bike shops input of replacing things at the same time for the best overall wear and tear. I agree that a 2nd bike would be the simpliest solution but also more $ and I've grown to like my FS bike on all surfaces and it doens't seem that ineffiecient when equiped with street tires. I guess I'll watch craigslist for a cheap hard tail but in the mean time pickup a cassette and juicy rotors and see how annoying the switch is.

Members who have read this thread: 0