mtbr member
    Sep 2018

2018 totals for me

So I calculated up my yearly totals. I started off pretty slow and got a new bike in September that allowed to enjoy riding quite a bit more. Mileage is a mix of roads or trails, probably 70/30 roads to trails ratio.

Miles 270.3
    Elevation 6,511 feet

2019 will be much better for me unless I really screw something up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

All fat, all the time.
    Good job, the more you ride, the easier and more fun it gets, then you ride more.
    I hit 1502 miles today this year, 279,200' of climbing. Mostly all dirt.

mtbr member
    December was a bad month for riding in my case, but overall 2018 was a good year, actually my best so far. Just a bit over 3,500km distance and 85,000m of elevation in 149 rides. Most of it is mountain biking, but includes riding to and from trails. I beat 2017's 3.200km/76,600m while riding less days, but for longer.

Weekday night rides are a great way to add riding days, the numbers above would be cut in half if it wasn't for lights and committed riding mates.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Great job you two. I can't wait for 2019 to start and get to spring time. My main goal is to get my wife onto some beginner trails. She hasn't ridden a bike in a few decades so she is trying to build up some endurance and confidence to hit the dirt. Mainly it will be the confidence. I'm a lot further along on endurance but need to work on my confidence for some of the higher rating trails. Next year though.
    Will swerve for leaves.

9 lives
    Good work Leafkiller! I don't use GPS for riding but I document every ride. My average is 2 rides per week for 1 to 2 hours.

Are you setting a goal for next year?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Good work Leafkiller! I don't use GPS for riding but I document every ride. My average is 2 rides per week for 1 to 2 hours.

Are you setting a goal for next year?
    Not exactly. Just to get the wifey in dirt is about it. My work schedule is so random that I can't set a routine to it. About the only goals would be to ride in certain locations or get better on some of the harder trails here.

Will swerve for leaves.

jcd's best friend
    Not bad! I almost broke 1,000 miles and did over 53k feet in climbing since June. These stats were mixed between mountain biking and road cycling.
    Trek Emonda | Transition Sentinel

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Not bad! I almost broke 1,000 miles and did over 53k feet in climbing since June. These stats were mixed between mountain biking and road cycling.
    Wow, I really want to get totals like that.

Will swerve for leaves.

the half breed devil
    1,231.4 miles, 126,106 feet in elevation with one week left in '18.

all mountain rides, mileage includes to and from dirt--i don't own a car.

Bikesexual
    My goal at the start of the year was 1,000 miles. I reached that by September so I increased it to 1500 only to get sick and off the bike for 4+ weeks.

I'm at 1225miles and 118, 398' elevation gain for 2018.

Life dictates that my riding time is limited, but precious.

Ride on leafkiller, it only gets more fun. This is my main reason for Strava, just to keep track of what I do.

Edit: Forgot to add is 60/40 road/mtb.
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid
    TBA - There is a hint in the Purchase thread

mtbr member
    Iím at 2425 right now. My goal was 2500 but I spent almost 4 months unable to ride due to injury. Not sure iíll be able to get out anymore this year. 90/10 singletrack/road & trainer. 458k of climbing but some of that was lifts. Iíll be out of service until March of next year, hoping for a more balanced 2,000.
    Denver, CO

Live 2 Ride
    Sigh. I only got in 16 rides this year with 320 miles and 3480 feet of climbing. But it's probably more considering I use my bike as my main mode of transportation, I only record my recreational rides on Strava.
    My Bike: '19 Giant Talon 2 29er
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Less than last year, but more than the year before...
    I really need to do more hills.

Last 4 Weeks
    Avg Rides / Week 4
    Avg Distance / Week 68 mi
    Avg Time / Week 6h 57m

Distance 3,590.3 mi
    Time 333h 13m
    Elev Gain 152,346 ft
    Rides 190

All-Time
    Distance 14,002.9 mi
    Rides 834
    Biggest Ride 57.2 mi
    Biggest Climb 3,570 ft

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Wow, I really want to get totals like that.

Road cycling does wonders for climbing! My city has a TON of hills and it was normal for me to do almost 2k feet in climbing just riding through the city. Last summer, I was averaging around 5k climbing a week. All of that hill climbing on my road bike did help a ton on my mountain bike. I also burned 30 pounds in weight since June just by doing it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Road cycling does wonders for climbing! My city has a TON of hills and it was normal for me to do almost 2k feet in climbing just riding through the city. Last summer, I was averaging around 5k climbing a week. All of that hill climbing on my road bike did help a ton on my mountain bike. I also burned 30 pounds in weight since June just by doing it!
    Congrats on losing the weight.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    1108 mi according to Strava. Less and less every year.

Miles are miles...better than no miles.

mbtr member
    Distance 2,835.2 mi
    Time 300h 20m
    Elev Gain 267,113 ft
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

slow
    I don't count my riding stats as final for the year until the New Year's Eve ride is completed. There are still 4 riding days left this year and I am 81 miles behind last year's total, so I am going to have to tough out some cold temperatures these next few days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    My stats for 2018 (with one week to go):

212 rides
    3,452 miles
    448,971 feet of climbing

I have 3 different bikes (1 FS trail bike + 2 hardtail XCs) that I rotate for my rides. I average about 4 rides a week and shoot for 2k-3k feet of climbing on each ride.

I estimate that 20% of the rides are on paved roads (i.e. riding to/from or in between trails).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My stats:
    Distance: 9,079.6 km
    Time: 526h 36m
    Elev Gain: 199,975 m
    Rides: 262

Pretty solid year for me. Ratio is 65% MTB, 35% road by hours.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Colorado
    2,180 miles
    232,247 ft

All off-road, mostly single track. Happy with the totals, especially since I went on Medicare this year

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    My stats:
    Distance: 9,079.6 km
    Time: 526h 36m
    Elev Gain: 199,975 m
    Rides: 262

Pretty solid year for me. Ratio is 65% MTB, 35% road by hours.
    My GF asked me yesterday what my New Years resolution was going to be. I told her that I didnít know yet because the list of potential things I can improve on is virtually endless.

With those numbers LMN, you just helped me out with that. Congrats on the amazing year. Those numbers are both shocking and inspiring.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    My GF asked me yesterday what my New Years resolution was going to be. I told her that I didnít know yet because the list of potential things I can improve on is virtually endless.

With those numbers LMN, you just helped me out with that. Congrats on the amazing year. Those numbers are both shocking and inspiring.
    To be fair I did take last January off work and spent it on a road bike in French Rivera. Did 80hrs of riding at 1800km in January alone. Something that highly recommend everybody does at some point in their life BTW.

Living a couple of 100kms to west of you we a completely different winter then you. The worst case for us is mountain biking mid-march. Usually we are the road by middle of February.

I also have luxury of having 100km of single track a 70m road ride from my house. Pretty easy to hop on the bike after work.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Never trust a fart
    I am just a touch under 700 for the year. All my riding has been on the road with maybe 5 or 6 rides off road since June because I had a hip replacement in May.

Here's to a prosperous New Year of many miles.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Good job, Leafkiller!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Good job, Leafkiller!
    Thank you. I had a decent start in 2016 but didn't do anything in 2017. This year I wanted to get back into and I did. Next year is going to be so much fun.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Itís interesting to see the differences in the ratio of elevation vs. distance. Some here have gone further than I did, but I still climbed a bit more. I assume itís mostly terrain dependent. Although road cycling in my area tends to do less climbing per mile so that could also be a factor.

This year I did 2-3 times more rides than in any previous year. Iím hoping to keep that up in 2019 also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I had a goal of 2000 miles of gravel, fat and mountain biking this year and I hit it a few weeks ago. Currently at:

2070 miles
    242,000 vert ft of climbing
    175 rides

The vast majority (prob 75%) is mountain biking but picking up gravel riding did wonders for my overall fitness.

Iíll shoot for 2500 miles next year which would be a push but doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    To be fair I did take last January off work and spent it on a road bike in French Rivera. Did 80hrs of riding at 1800km in January alone. Something that highly recommend everybody does at some point in their life BTW.

Living a couple of 100kms to west of you we a completely different winter then you. The worst case for us is mountain biking mid-march. Usually we are the road by middle of February.

I also have luxury of having 100km of single track a 70m road ride from my house. Pretty easy to hop on the bike after work.
    I am going to track my mileage in 2019.

Thinking further about it, I would have easily racked up well over 3,500 kms in 2018 by way of commuting alone (or ďworkpackingĒ). In addition to my regular weekly mountain riding, I did 3 biking dedicated trips last year as well. I think my numbers would have been decent had I kept track of them.

Just found my New Years resolution - to exceed x kms for 2019. I need to decide what x should be (and how much of x should be legit dirt riding).

This will be fun, and may provide some motivation for those days when I am not feeling like enduring any pain. I probably should have been doing this long ago.

As for climate, this has been the mildest winter I recall in the last 25 years. Some shredders from my LBS hammered some stuff on Moose Mountain on Christmas day. The south facing stuff was bone dry. Dusty actually. Yet the resorts are having a decent year base wise. So all good. Almost like Tahoe. Not really, but kinda.

2x is underrated
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    My goal at the start of the year was 1,000 miles. I reached that by September so I increased it to 1500 only to get sick and off the bike for 4+ weeks.

I'm at 1225miles and 118, 398' elevation gain for 2018.

Life dictates that my riding time is limited, but precious.

Ride on leafkiller, it only gets more fun. This is my main reason for Strava, just to keep track of what I do.

Edit: Forgot to add is 60/40 road/mtb.

Wow I beat JCD?

I'm ending my Viewranger app now, because it's getting more and more straight GPS trapezoid lines for the loops, it doesn't do nearly as good as tracking compared with Strava. 1850 miles, 192K feet, but again these are squared off GPS numbers so it was probably around 2000 miles (I forgot to turn it on several times too). I'll just do Strava from now on, it's a lot more accurate.

Probably 60% pavement, 30% fire/gravel/doubletrack, 10% singletrack.
    Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres: quod Belgiae, quod Celtae, et quod Aquitainae.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    1850 miles, 192K feet...

Unassisted? If so good job, those are some pretty good numbers.

I managed over 5,000 miles and about 350,000' this year, hopefully I'm fortunate enough to do as good next year and have just as much fun doing it.
    I brake for stinkbugs

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Unassisted? If so good job, those are some pretty good numbers.

I managed over 5,000 miles and about 350,000' this year, hopefully I'm fortunate enough to do as good next year and have just as much fun doing it.
    wow! you're a beast.

Sneaker man
    Managed
    3535km (2190miles)
    43733M (143480ft)

So I was pretty happy, started a new job which trashed the end of year totals, also 330km of running which i was hoping double that, but injuries...)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    wow! you're a beast.

Nah, any semi-retired bike bum willing to neglect their chores and family could do it. Feeling pretty good though!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Anyone with good time management and some self restraint on effort level can ride a ton of mileage. A roadie friend of mine rode 14,000 miles this year with 1m feet of elevation. It was an off year for him.... He usually totals around 18,000 miles with 1.5m feet of climbing. His usual commute to work is 60 miles there, minimum distance of 19 miles home.

My goal was 3,000 miles for the year but fell way short to 2,100. I pushed to hard to often which lead to an over use injury. I strained ligaments in my right knee so I spent half the year managing that. Stuck with no hard efforts until my knee strengthens enough to handle it again. It gave me a new perspective to enjoy the ride rather than pushing so hard to improve my fitness. Ride easy but ride often and throw in some fun fast rides once and a while.

slow
    I barely beat last year's numbers, but I took off most of March and August for non-biking vacations. I haven't touched my road bike in over a year, so all of these miles were on mountain bikes even though about 35% of the total miles were on pavement on the way to trails or between trails.

Name:  2018StravaStats.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  9.6 KB

jcd's best friend
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    I barely beat last year's numbers, but I took off most of March and August for non-biking vacations. I haven't touched my road bike in over a year, so all of these miles were on mountain bikes even though about 35% of the total miles were on pavement on the way to trails or between trails.

Name:  2018StravaStats.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  9.6 KB

Dude, you are an animal. I want to climb like you do. On Strava, climbing 2k+ feet is just another day on the trail for you!

Sent from my snail mail via Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    I had a tough year and at a little over 150 miles, I had my lowest mileage in five years. It was a busy year for me coaching one daughter's lacrosse team and trying to get to every possible event for my oldest daughter who was graduating from high school. I rode only four times in the first half of the year!

2019 looks to be much better. I recently got a new bike and I have retired from coaching. The first ride of the new year will be tomorrow!
    AreBee

Bikesexual
    Dude, you are an animal. I want to climb like you do. On Strava, climbing 2k+ feet is just another day on the trail for you!

Yeah I was looking forward to his numbers! Insane sgltrak!
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

slow

Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Yeah I was looking forward to his numbers! Insane sgltrak!
    Thanks guys. I'm sure everyone here worked hard for their miles this year. There are many others on MTBR with tons more miles and elevation than what I've been able to ride, but I feel blessed to have been able to ride as much as I did. I look forward to seeing the improvements everyone makes in 2019.

Wishing you all much health and happiness and lots of mountain biking in 2019!

SS Pusher Man
    Started off the year with the intention of chasing 1,000,000í of climbing again. Was ahead of my projections in January, then work gotnin the way and in Feb. I was knocked too far back to make it up. Then a crash in May slowed me even more.

This year I also spent about 1/3rd of my miles on a geared bike for the first time in about 4 years.

With all that, I matched my elevation from last year with 657,400í , but my mileage was about 100 less @ 4550 all on the mtn bike.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    Wow I beat JCD?

lol I'm the easiest to beat in this forum, plus I don't e-bike so maybe you got me there.

Great job rich!
    The Steel Fleet:

'14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I ended my season with a ride this morning.
    61 rides
    36,837' elevation gained
    431.1 miles MTB
    97 miles road bike (1st week before I put it away for winter)

Health issues and work schedule work against riding more. But getting after it harder in 2019. Wanted to get a ride in tomorrow but the weather looks pretty wet.
    Congrats to all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    732 miles all single track
    100879í elevation gain
    137í per mile average
    3 months off the bike in the spring held me back but I plan on riding harder in 2019.

mtbr member
    Just about 700 miles on the mountain bike with 160,707 feet of climbing.

Thatís less than last year, but mainly due to serious soggy New England weather.

I rode about 15 hours less than last year.

Goal for 2019 is 1000 miles.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    1645 Miles-Up 200 from last year (snow, dirt, gravel)
    167 rides with almost 100,000 feet in elevation gain (Midwest Livin')
    Smiles for Miles: immeasurable!

Goal 2019?: 2000 miles with some longer bikepacking trips

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Got the final ride of the year in today, finished with 300 miles more than last year so a very good year.

1760 miles
    296,217 ft of elevation
    128 rides

Hope to repeat in 2019.

jcd's best friend
    Yesterday, I jumped on my bike around 4pm (west coast time) to get the last 16 miles I needed to break 1,000 miles for the year. After 3 miles in, I checked my Strava and realized that they already reset the stats for 2019! :|

2019 goals:
    Break 2,000 cycling miles
    Climb 100k feet
    (basically doubling what I did in 6 months in 2018)

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ravewoofer View Post
    Just about 700 miles on the mountain bike with 160,707 feet of climbing.

Thatís less than last year, but mainly due to serious soggy New England weather.

I rode about 15 hours less than last year.

Goal for 2019 is 1000 miles.

That's my goal for 2019 as well. 1,000 miles in a year.
    Will swerve for leaves.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    2,015 miles. Pretty stoked considering I had my first kid this year too. Might have ~300 miles of cruising around town, but the rest is mountain biking (which does not necessarily mean all trail since I connect trails with gravel or paved roads pretty often). Also pleased to have over 250k ft of climbing, gotta keep your elevation gain (and thus descending as well) above 100ft/mile.

mtbr member
    I pushed at little at the end of the year to make sure I got there (4,000 miles), but I did the following. Mosly Mtb, but some road too.

Distance 4,003.0 mi
    Time 361h 11m
    Elev Gain 308,235 ft
    Rides 199

Pretty close to 2017, but with a little less climbing. I did more big rides in 2017 and more races in 2018 so less feet/mile.

Distance 3,989.4 mi
    Time 410h 56m
    Elev Gain 315,292 ft
    Rides 170

I have no specfic goals for 2019. Just to ride and enjoy it.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

rth009
    May 2010
    2018:

Distance 2,679.5 mi
    Time 363h 10m
    Elev Gain 452,999 ft
    Rides 214

Almost 100k more vertical than 2017:

Distance 2,466.0 mi
    Time 303h 23m
    Elev Gain 354,039 ft
    Rides 193

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    2018:

Distance 2,679.5 mi
    Time 363h 10m
    Elev Gain 452,999 ft
    Rides 214

Almost 100k more vertical than 2017:

Distance 2,466.0 mi
    Time 303h 23m
    Elev Gain 354,039 ft
    Rides 193

. Double kudos! I have to admit that if I had to do that much climbing per mile I'd probably either quit riding or move somewhere else, and I actually enjoy climbing. Sort of anyway.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    . Double kudos! I have to admit that if I had to do that much climbing per mile I'd probably either quit riding or move somewhere else, and I actually enjoy climbing. Sort of anyway.
    You mean descending per mile!

Cycologist
    Geeze, kinda embarrassed to post my totals. This was the first year I actually tracked my mileage. I've used Runkeeper for years but never gone back and added up the miles; maybe they have that feature in the paid version.

Anyway: 1095.54 miles.

My goal was 1000 miles with a stretch goal of 1200. I was doing well to hit the stretch until the weather decided to not cooperate. I guess that's not too bad for a weekend warrior; I only ride once a week plus a second ride during the longer daylight months. I had also planned to do some commuting which would have pushed my miles up a lot but that didn't happen.

I did track my mileage per bike:

36% - full suspension 29er
    21% - CX
    14% - old road bike
    11% - fixed gear
    7% - hardtail 26er
    5% - rigid SS 27.5+ *
    3% - newer road bike **
    2% - SS 26er
    1% - borrowed hardtail

* Kona Unit bought in November
    ** Bought the bike last year and let my son ride it until I got him a road bike last Xmas. I bought new handlebars due to it having some skinny Nittos but then hesitated putting them on as I was/am thinking about getting it powder coated but finally decided to take it for a ride as is.

MTB: 51%
    Road: 49% (CX went 100% into the road category, even though I rode it on single track at times. Also rode a couple of miles to trails on mtb at times)

I'd like to figure out the number of rides but my chart included runs as well so I can't just look at the row number in the SS (yep, did it the old fashioned way; thinking maybe this will be what pushes me onto Strava this year).

With my ride yesterday, already booked more miles than all of January last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    You mean descending per mile!
    Thats exactly right. Im blessed with steep mountains in every direction. My rides are climb an hour at ridiculous grades, descend 7 minutes and then repeat. Im also not afraid of the cold and ride a fat bike from November through March.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Donít have my exact totals because Iím too bummed out to look them up. Work schedule was crazy in 2018 (our company does a TON of election printing and mailing). So now Iím disgusted by my ride totals AND the results of the elections! Double loser in 2018.

With each new year comes hope for more ride time. Was able to do a 21-mile trail ride on January 1st so at least I feel like 2019 is off to a more promising start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    My rides are climb an hour at ridiculous grades, descend 7 minutes and then repeat.

That just doesn't seem like a fair trade to me but to each his own. Again, congrats!
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Solid year for me:
    6483 km (4028 mi)
    58344 m (191417 ft)
    3000 km by fatty
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    2018 totals for me-screen-shot-2019-01-02-1.29.00-pm.png

I'm impressed with the miles/elevation stats posted here. I really wanted to crack 100,000 feet of elevation this year. Lost a month of riding due to stolen front wheel.
    The only trace I leave behind is tire marks.

mtbr member
    2018 Totals
    262 Rides 2597km 187953m climb 249 hours ride time

2019 Goal........ same if not more distance and climbing with 1/2 to 3/4 amount of rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Awesome job everyone! Let's everyone make a goal to ride more this year and break some records.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Awesome job everyone! Let's everyone make a goal to ride more this year and break some records.
    Iím with you there. Already working on going bigger and stronger than previous years. Three rides in this year so far and Iím averaging 203í per mile. Just wanna beat my stats from last season and get stronger

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Late to the party but here are my numbers. A little less than 2017 but I'm happy with it. Vast majority on a short travel squish bike, SS hardtail, and fatty on snow. <5% on a Salsa Vaya with a MTB wheelset on it.

Distance 3,097.8 mi
    Time 387h 40m
    Elev Gain 453,133 ft
    Rides 201
    Western Montana