• 10-30-2012
    PureAwesome
    2013 Giant Reign 1 vs 2013 Giant Trance x 1
    Hey guys

I'm tossing up between these two bikes (2013 Giant Reign 1 & 2013 Giant Trance x 1). My local MTB trials are at Lysterfield (mainly XC trails) but I will be going Mt. Buller (awsome DH trails) a lot as my parents have a cabin near there.

So I am wondering what you guys think or if you have any other ideas??

• 10-31-2012
    kneecap
    I have both. But if I was pressed to have only 1, I'd pick the Reign..
  • 10-31-2012
    ryguy135
    Both!
  • 10-31-2012
    SD853
    I have a older TX its a great bike but I would pick the Reign for the slacker head angle.The Reign is a really good all around bike.
  • 10-31-2012
    Tone's
    I have a 2012 reign, its a killer bike, id take the reign because it give you more options to take on a bit more.
    Its still a great bike for xc and it climbs well, dont let anybody tell you its too much of a bike, you can spend all day on it...
  • 11-01-2012
    PureAwesome
    ok thanks guys. i have almost got enough for the reign. cant wait :D
  • 11-01-2012
    S_Trek
    Wow, 2013 almost here....:eek:
  • 11-01-2012
    mimi1885
    Both climb and descend pretty well one edge the other on climb and descend. Reign is heavier but more durable. If I can have only one bike I'd go with reign but if my home trail can't utilize the travel then it'd be trance then I'd rent the park bike.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
  • 11-02-2012
    PureAwesome
    people have said to me that reign is too heavy and doesn't climb. so if anyone has ridden one can they tell me how it climbs?
  • 11-02-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PureAwesome View Post
    people have said to me that reign is too heavy and doesn't climb. so if anyone has ridden one can they tell me how it climbs?

Thats ********, it climbs fine, it comes in at under 30lb.
    Yes the trance is a great bike too, it lower up front and will climb a bit better than the reign, but ive ridden both and own the 12 reign, imo, the only reason anybody would buy a trance is if you were a pure xc rider and not going to use it for much else. the reign is enough of a bike that you can really push your skills with it.
    If you want to rock the DH for a weekend it holds up great, if you want to take bigger hits n jumps its got the travel to handle it, it just gives so much more scope than a trance.
    most people that say its to heavy either own a trance or havnt ridden a reign, ive spent a lot of time on both and you can spend all day on both easy, and while of course the trance is a better climber due to its shorter travel theres not a real lot of difference.
    I wouldnt swap my reign for a trance even for an xc race.
    If you are going to use it purely as an xc bike and not push your riding further, get the trance, but if you want to mix it up and push your riding further get the reign., cheers
  • 11-02-2012
    mimi1885
    Heavy is a relative word, I think 30-32lbs Reign is pretty much do it all. I can climb that no problem. Sure you can build it much lighter but at what price? not only in terms of $$$ but function as well. I've ridden several generation of Reign and always thought that they climb lighter than the actual weight(comparing to other bikes of the same weight) , except for the Reign X which is not as climbing friendly as the shorter travel 6" version.

Check out your local shops if they have any demo days and hit them. You can certainly ride them back to back and see how they fit your riding style.:)
  • 11-02-2012
    PureAwesome
    ok thanks guys. it really help :D
  • 12-26-2012
    PureAwesome
    i have enough for the reign but i am thinking of saving for a bit more to get the 2013 trek remedy 9. i have fallen in love with it but is it worth the $$$?
  • 12-26-2012
    Tone's
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PureAwesome View Post
    i have enough for the reign but i am thinking of saving for a bit more to get the 2013 trek remedy 9. i have fallen in love with it but is it worth the $$$?

IMO the reign is a better bike than the Trek, the giants maestro is universaly considered as the finest suspension system, i wouldnt swap mine for a new remedy, no way, but im prob a bit bias, but ive ridden both and imo the reign feels a better bike, but go for the the one your in love with, thats probably the one for you, cheers.
  • 12-26-2012
    PureAwesome
    im taking the trek for a test ride so i will see how i go
  • 12-26-2012
    GR1822
    Reign all of the way. Whatever extra $ you were thinking about spending on a Trek should go to something else you need.