Is $830 a good price for a Trek OCLV 9.8 frame?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Is $830 a good price for a Trek OCLV 9.8 frame?

I'm considering bidding on a a frame that is currently at $810, and I expect will go for anywhere from 830-850. The seller says the frame MRSP's for 1650 (frame plus the custom one of a kind paint) So natually I think this would be a great deal, but I dont know. Anyone have experiances with this frame/bike? Would you reccomend it? I'm an XC rider who likes fairly long, trails, and I really enjoy very technical trails. I also race fairly often so I would like a frame that would work for that. This frame will probably (havnt bought the fork yet) be going on a 2004 Marzocchi Marathon SL 120mm and full 2003-2002 XTR components from my Stumpjumper. WIll the 120mm fork have a problem with the frame? Any help would be great.
    Cheers
    -Jeff

Jun 2003

Personally, I do not buy used carbon anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadict
    I'm considering bidding on a a frame that is currently at $810, and I expect will go for anywhere from 830-850. The seller says the frame MRSP's for 1650 (frame plus the custom one of a kind paint) So natually I think this would be a great deal, but I dont know. Anyone have experiances with this frame/bike? Would you reccomend it? I'm an XC rider who likes fairly long, trails, and I really enjoy very technical trails. I also race fairly often so I would like a frame that would work for that. This frame will probably (havnt bought the fork yet) be going on a 2004 Marzocchi Marathon SL 120mm and full 2003-2002 XTR components from my Stumpjumper. WIll the 120mm fork have a problem with the frame? Any help would be great.
    Cheers
    -Jeff
    Way too many factors to consider. I'd only bid if it is a box new warranty replacement frame.

Rollin' a fatty
    New or used?

If used, stay away from it. As Damion said, everything carbon is exposed to a lot factors that affect its durability. Image paying 800 for a carbon frame and soon you realize that it's chipped, what will you do? Ask for warranty?

If it's a warranty replacement or brand new it's a good deal, not great but good.

120mm fork and a 9.8? The 9.8 is a racing frame so probably by putting a 120mm fork the geometry will change dramatically to the worse. I belive that a 80mm is the best fit, if you can leave the Stumpjumper alone and built around the 9.8 as a racing machine.

My 02.

Mar 2004
    Yeah I would love to do that but I just dont have the money right now, and the Stumpjumper doesnt/never has fit me right.

If not this frame, what frame would you guys suggest for $1100 or less? I was origonaly thinking FS but decided against it when i saw the price of the frames. As I said before, this frame would be going w/ a 120mm Marzocchi Marathon SL and 2002-2003 XTR drivetrain.
    -Jeff

mtbr member

That frame *is* new

The seller says the frame is brand new (doesn't even have seat collar installed), so you can take that element of carbon-history doubt out of the decision.

But the 9.8 is a super-light race-oriented frame. Just doesn't seem like a good fit to put a 120mm fork on. If you wanted a lightweight short-travel hardtail, great. But sounds like you need something else.

Mar 2004
    I just found a Marathon SL 2003 model for 340 so the 120mm fork is out now. I was also now considering the Santa Cruz Superlight. The reviews of people on here sound great, and i like the fact that it is FS. Which one do you all think would be the better bet for my situation (explained above)? I like the idea of FS, but dont know if the extera weight is worth it?
    Cheers
    -Jeff

Seriously ?
    Yeah I would love to do that but I just dont have the money right now, and the Stumpjumper doesnt/never has fit me right.

If not this frame, what frame would you guys suggest for $1100 or less? I was origonaly thinking FS but decided against it when i saw the price of the frames. As I said before, this frame would be going w/ a 120mm Marzocchi Marathon SL and 2002-2003 XTR drivetrain.
    -Jeff

You can find many high end frames for $1100, most used but in what seem to be good condition. I've seen a few Racer-X and Switchblades on Ebay for less than that, and Supergo is selling brand new Turner Burners for $949.

However a 120mm Marathon would be a no-go on a Racer-x, and I suspect it will not make wonders for the Turner geometry either.

Gui

Rollin' a fatty
    You can find a decent FS frame new or like new for under 1K if you look hard enough and be patient, there're several nice FS frames on ebay around that price range.

I've seen new Switchblades, VTs, Dakar's, and others go for under 1K on ebay.

Mar 2004
    I've been racing on a 9.8 and in the past a 9.9, and I absolutly love the geometry and build of the bikes. The geometry is just awesome for climbing, yet gread on the downhills. Although I have a longer upperbody than lower body, so the long top tube fits me well.

I highly recommend the Trek frame, they are awesome for racers, and those with relatively "smooth" trails, or those who do a lot of climbing.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

It's a Small World After All!

I'm considering bidding on a a frame that is currently at $810, and I expect will go for anywhere from 830-850.
    I actually bid on that auction but was quickly outbid by the current high bidder. I unfortunately don't have the money to continue bidding

A guy down the street from me has that same frame but without the custom paint. He runs a Black fork that has travel adj. from 80mm to 100mm. He runs it at 100mm for trail riding and 80mm on race day. He absolutely loves it! Talked me into looking for one!