$250 to burn...what to do???!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. $250 to burn...what to do???!!!

Ive got $250 (or so) to spend on bike stuff! Oh Joy!

But Im a bit undecided as to what to do with it.

I just started singletracking here in SE Michigan this summer, and am loving it! I have a 2007 Canadian Giant Iguana (31lb hardtail), with pretty much Deore stuff, and Hayes MX2 mechanical brakes, which I have tuned up to an ok level, I can lock the tires if I try really really hard. I have platform pedals, and one pair of spandex bike shorts.

Here are my current choices for spending my cash, any one look better than any other? I am kinda leaning toward #1, but all the others look good to me too. Any advice would be appreciated!

1. Avid bb7 brakes w/Speed dial 7 levers, and Candy C pedals w/shoes?
    2. New Fork, have no idea, but something better than my Marzocchi MZ Race?
    3. Hydraulic brakes? Juicy 7 pair? Juicy 5 pair?
    4. Some more bike shorts, cheap jacket, and 70 oz Camelback?
    5. Hide the money, and upgrade to a Giant Yukon FX next spring?
    6. A Unicycle to practice my balance?
    7. A used set of rollers or a trainer for the winter?
    8. ??????????????????????????????????

1946:2006:2066

Wink buy stock

you did say $250.00 to burn
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    250 hardly nuthn---maybe takes care of a close road trip to a trail you'd like to check out.

Bike Dork
    2 pair of good shorts or save it for a new bike in the future. Shorts will out last many bikes if treated well and can really be the difference between a bad ride and a good one, or a good one and a great one.

pedal pusher
    Buy tools.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    LOL @ buy stock; that's would definitely be a place to fry that cash.

Anyhow, unless you have something that is in dire need of repair, I would personally leave it alone. I mean, $250 REALLY doesn't go that far (seriously) when you're looking to revamp a bike. However, there might be something in need of some TLC, so do a onceover, usual suspects are chain wear, dirty / worn shift cables (that were probably trash in the first place), BB (if you've been in notably wet conditions), and hubs (Shimano stuff needs a little adjustment / grease TLC once in a while).

If you've REALLY got the itch to buy, I would evaluate what part of your bike is lacking. You mentioned you can lock up the brakes if you try hard; in essence, the important part is modulation more than power (with less force, I can flip myself over the bars of a bike with vees than my XTR hydros) ... I wouldn't upgrade them; but that's me. Your fork is probably not too bad; it's no Fox, but the seals are solid, and I found my Marz that I had on my Kona (similar fork, different name) was pretty good.

You mentioned weight, and a good place to lose it is in the wheels. Are your tires worn out? If so, you can probably lose quite a bit of rotating mass with just a tire upgrade. If your tires are alright, a cheap-ish wheelset online might be an option.

You mentioned platforms; with $250, you can get a nice set of pedals and shoes if you are planning on going clipless.

More gear is always a good option; extra shorts, nicer gloves, camelbak, safety glasses, nicer riding shoes (Vans, etc ... if you want to keep the platforms).

REALLY?
    Hookers and beer.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

I like Monkeys
    Shoes and clipless. Best way to improve your riding IMHO. After that then basic tools to keep the bike running. It will save you money in the long run.
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Jeffgothro, tempting...
    Firedog46, my 401K takes care of burning stock...
    themanmonkey, Shorts might not be a bad idea...
    f3rg, tools I got...
    ettore, not looking to revamp a bike, and bike is in real good shape, only 180 miles on it after today's snowy ride in the woods (I bought a showroom bike, hadn't seen dirt before I got it). Tires are Kenda Nevagals and Blue Groove, and they're in good shape.

Some friends have admonished me for not going clipless, but I dunno, I'm not a racer, I'm riding for fun right now.

Yea, I know $250 isn't much in the MB world, but if I don't find a use for it, it'll probably end up going for something practical, like paint or wallpaper for the bathroom or some other stupid thing.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Keep it to save for a weekend ride.

Gas, food, hotel/cabin. That would help to offset a road trip.

Otherwise take care of necessities - tires, chain, cassette. If the bike's working good - might not need to spend that much on it.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

I'm SUCH a square....
    Keep the Hayes brakes, they're OK; I'b more interested in:

1. clipless -- with some smart shopping, you should be able to get pedals and shoes for half that.
    2. replace the deore rear der/shifters with SRAM X.7 -- 10x more reliable and easy to use.
    3. sometimes there are tire deals out there, too -- keep your eyes peeled. Summer of '07, I scored 5 Hutch Spiders for $60.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The bike sounds fine for now. OP stated a 70oz Camelback - Cabela's (the hunting/fishing supply) has a sale on Camelback MULE's which you could pack with a pump, a spare tube, a multi-tool, tire-levers, some spare links of chain, some Clif bars, etc. Now, when you go riding, you'll not only have 100oz of water but all the tools in case of mechanical failure. With the money left over you can subscribe to your favorite mountain bike magazine so you have something to read in your newly redecorated bathroom.

Maaaaan
    I'd say burn it.
    I've always wanted to do that, but couldn't afford to...

The BB7s are nice and are much easier to work on than other mechanical disks.

You won't find much of a fork for 250 except the Rock Shox Torra.
    Stay away from the Tora 302 though, get a Tora 318.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Your $250 can get you a nice set of light Mavic XC717/Shimano XT-hubbed wheels. You will FEEL the difference in rotating weight reduction, the moment you turn your cranx. Check eBay for deals by keywording, "mavic wheelset'. Ready to go much faster?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member

money to burn

You can send it to me!

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Here's what I would do if I had that money right now to spend on my bike:
    Clippless pedals and shoes
    New pump
    Lights

Oct 2008
    For about $200 you can get the mavic 717's laced to shimano XT hubs with DT swiss double butted spokes and either alloy or brass nipples from BWW. Makes for a tough and lighter wheelset at a good price, in fact that's what I plan on getting for my Haro in the spring. Or you could buy me the wheelset for christmas, that'd be pretty cool of you. LOL.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Camelbak full of champagne.

Good for one very fun ride.

mtbr member
    Interesting reponses. I'd never thought about a wheel set, Does it really make that much of a difference? Sounds like it does.

Looks like the lean is toward clipless/shoes combo, or tools, or a wheel set. Hmmm.

Jun 2008
    $250 does not take you anywhere these days, even burgers come at a high price these days.My advice, save it or get some neat shorts. But for revamping your bike, well that is going to cost you a whole lot more than $250, that's for sure!

Aug 2008
    i just went clipless and i'm digging it worth the money imo...

alltho if i was in your shoes a nice wheelset would be in the running as well,as far as shorts,camelback etc... i just try to sneak those in as needed. but thats just my two pieces of copper....good luck with what you get . let us know what you got and if it helped ya

pedal pusher
    Buy a HelmetHero cam ($190), rechargeable batteries and a 2GB SD card.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    clipless with good shoes... then maybe a trainer and cheapo slick tire... if you can stand to sit in your living room pedaling... do some interval training and you'll realy be kicking butt come spring

sadly like mentioned $250 doesn't go to far sometimes ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by agfrag
    Interesting reponses. I'd never thought about a wheel set, Does it really make that much of a difference? Sounds like it does.

Looks like the lean is toward clipless/shoes combo, or tools, or a wheel set. Hmmm.
    I got a 2002 Rainier as a starter bike. Since then, i have upgraded or replaced every component except the Deore crank arms...

Clipless was the most effective upgrade. I like the shimano SPDs. 520 is good, 540 is a tad lighter.

I liked the BB7s a lot more than the Hayes MX1 I replaced. More power, with less effort, but if your Hayes are not broken... you might want to hold off. My inboard adjustment knob seized, and the rotors were worn. I'd say trash them, then replace.

717/XT wheels replaced my Weinman zac19/Deore. The old wheelset was pretty beat, which resulted in very uneven spoke tension to get them close to true. The upgrade did not make as big of a difference as people online seem to imply. Small difference, not huge. I noticed the increased stiffness (due to better build) more than the weight.

More riding clothes is always good to have. Lights for night riding, or a trainer for riding indoors are nice to have, but first consider how much you will use the items before purchasing.

With most parts like fork, and derailleurs, i say wear them out, then replace. No need to take off parts that still work. If you ride a lot, it won't take that long.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

nobody

Since it is The Holiday Season....

....Why not donate it to the Human Fund?

PM me and I'll give you the address.

Happy Festivus Everyone!

Art
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    other thing i didn't mention... SD7 avid leavers... $20 makes them hard not to choose... and add some more adjustment options to your current stopper system unless you're thinking seriously of going with hydro discs in the near future...

side note... i just picked up some Tektro Auriga Hydraulic take offs from jenson... $60 front and back with 185mm up front... they are admittedly low end hydro offerings but i'm getting them just to try them out... don't get to install them till after Christmas (they are a gift from my mo-in-law)... i'm looking forward to comparing them to my bb7's on my other bike...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Linoleum Knife
    $250.... hmmmm..

At least one more pair of cycling-specific shorts w/ a chamois. That way you can ride 2 days in a row without having to wash, or wear the nasty things again.

A camelbak, mutitool, hand pump, patch-kit and spare tube.

Clipless pedals and shoes - not just for racers

With some clever shopping you might be able to get that all in for under $250....

zip it up, zip it out
    Jun 2006
    For $250 you could get speed dial 7 levers (i have them on my Hayes mech disc's ), clipless pedals and shoes. Those upgrades made a difference in feel to my bike.

Tires are also a lower cost way to improve performance.

mtbr member
    What? No recommendations for the unicycle?

Aug 2008
    cause 2 is better than 1 grasshopper hehe just kidding

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    get one of those cheap sette shoes and pedal combos at pricepoint.com and then buy bb7s or some shorts and a sick jersey. Wearing the right clothes sometimes makes you feel faster.
    2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Southern Maine

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    Adjustable seatpost.

I'm going for the Command Post with a $50 off coupon!
    RTR

Dec 2008
    Hide the money, and upgrade to a Giant Yukon FX next spring?... You can't buy much with 250 specially the good ones

mtbr member
    Well, as it so happens, I came across a 2006 Trek Fuel EX 7 frame with the original Rock Shox MC 3 shock for $250, and I'm going out to get it tomorrow. I figure what the heck, full suspension upgrade for $250, why not?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Id definately get a decent set of clipless pedals and shoes. When I started riding I had the same mentality as you-not a racer, platforms will be fine. Then I got tossed over my handle bars and broke my arm. Immediately went with a clipless set up and never looked back. Easily the best upgrade I did. Get a decent set that will hold up and carry over to your next bike (which we both know youll get within the next 6 months ).

mtbr member
    if something isn't broken on your bike, then get away from upgrading components, fork, etc. pedals are a good route as others have said. camelback is great to have- i like the idea of a good multitool and other necessities.

what i would do? save it! unless you already have a lot saved and this is just a bonus around christmas time.

enjoy the extra cash!

mtbr member
    Well, it took me a while, but here is the result of my $250 investment. Learned quite a bit about how bikes go together, and adjusting stuff, but she is up and running

Now I just have to wait for the snow and ice to get off the darn trails
    Attached Images Attached Images

Token Hillbilly
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a comparable amount of money laying about, and live in the southeast where we have been getting rained on since December started which has left the trails muddy. My cables on my current rim brakes have gotten crudded up and are in need of replacing... rather than doing that, I am gonna throw some Juicy 7's on my rig so I will have decent braking during the wet season.
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

Members who have read this thread: 0