2010 SF 100 Frame Cracked- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

2010 SF 100 Frame Cracked

GF is replacing the 2010 frame with a 2011 frame. Should I make any component upgrades?

Monocog Masher
    How'd it crack, where'd it crack, what were you doing when it cracked?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I discovered a crack on the seat post tube..... but below the triangle joint and facing the rear tire. About 3" long and running vertical. Don't know how or when it developed. Bike was purchased new in April. No jumps, crashes or abuse to speak of.

mtbr member
    I have the chance to get a new 2010 SF100 at a very good price and really wondering if it is worth it with all the frame issues posted on here. I only weigh 145lbs and ride XC, race Xterra event, and have a 24hr relay on the schedule too. Do I bite the bullet and deal with any frame issues when they happen? I know that is my choice, but is there anyone out there riding one of these bikes for many miles with no issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42
    I have the chance to get a new 2010 SF100 at a very good price and really wondering if it is worth it with all the frame issues posted on here. I only weigh 145lbs and ride XC, race Xterra event, and have a 24hr relay on the schedule too. Do I bite the bullet and deal with any frame issues when they happen? I know that is my choice, but is there anyone out there riding one of these bikes for many miles with no issues?

I would get it. I broke my original SF100 and got a new frame and have had zero problems. Also Trek's replacement time is usually a week or two at the latest. Get the SF100 you'll love it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Any upgrades you guys recommend. They are going to give me a new 2011 frame and I guess bolt on my 2010 components. 1 week is what they told me for the frame replacement.

mtbr member
    Put all of your old components back on it. Unless you want to move up to XX.

mtbr member
    Everything on the bike is already top notch, no need to upgrade....unless like Jasontech said you want to move to XX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by offrhodes42
    Buy it. It's a great bike and the 2010 has a lifetime warranty on the frameset. The 2011 frameset has a limited warranty on the frameset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got to give GF credit for replacing frame. Bike was ready in less than a week!

Members who have read this thread: 0