mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Tahoe vs. Nevada?

Recently I purchased a Fuji Nevada 29 1.1 17" frame from a LBS. I loved the look and feel of this bike, but it was too tall for me (no top bar clearance).

Shop owner tried ordering a small frame version, but they were out of stock, so he ordered me a Fuji Tahoe 27.5 1.5 in 15" frame. The bike arrived yesterday.

It was not "love at first sight" for me with the Tahoe because for some reason it doesn't look as nice as the Nevada. Good thing is that the size is right for me.

Shop owner told me that the Tahoe is an upgrade to the Nevada because it has a better selection of parts. Fork is different (Suntour on the Nevada, Manitou Marvel LTD on the Tahoe) as well as other parts.

My impression for whatever reason is that despite the slight "upgrade", the Nevada looked like a nicer, better built bike. The Tahoe seems to look like it was slapped together somewhat awkwardly (fork looks cheaper than the Suntour, finish not as nice). Cables that connect to the fork stick out and look somewhat ragged, handlebar has some scratches on it, break cables look awkwardly long/stick out more than with the Nevada.

Also, the matte black frame of the Nevada looked so much sharper than the glossy black frame of the Tahoe. Is the matte finish only available on upper end models within a series? This shiny black frame looks like the same exact frame on the less expensive Fuji bikes.

Is the Tahoe really an upgrade, or did I just pay extra for the sales hype?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    5'10" and the shop put you on a 15"(with a 530.6 mm effective top tube and 351.8 mm reach)?

I think you need to find another shop.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    5'10" and the shop put you on a 15"(with a 530.6 mm effective top tube and 351.8 mm reach)?

I think you need to find another shop.

Yes, I agree I need to find another shop. Unfortunately in my town their are only two bike shops. This bike shop I went to had signs posted everywhere that read "no refunds, no returns, exchanges made up to only two days after purchase and subject to 20% restocking fee, items only accepted if in new conditions, etc."

Shopping there felt unwelcoming. They didn't seem to care too much for repeat business. It was like their mantra was "all sales final" and that was the way they viewed their customers as well. While I was there on three occasions I observed their same attitude toward other customers. They didn't have time to deal with customer questions, either you purchase what they have or go elsewhere.

The only reason they begrudgingly exchanged my first bike was because the company I work for does business with them.

The other bike shop in town is the same. Customer service/satisfaction is definitely not something they specialize in.

If I could buy bikes online I would. I buy parts online (even if they turn out costing me the same or more due to shipping) just so I can avoid going into the two bike shops in my town.

So, I'm pretty much stuck with my purchase for now. I'll try to make the best of it. If I end up hating it I'll list it on Craigslist and take the hit; hard (yet truly undeserved and unnecessary) lesson learned.

Maybe for next time I'll drive to a few adjacent cities and check out their local bike shops. There has to be one bike shop somewhere that truly cares about repeat business and is willing to take the time to make sure customers are buying what truly works for the customer, not just what makes more money for the shop owner.

I am open to driving to a couple of nearby

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Sounds like a difficult situation. I'm fortunate to have several good shops even though I'm in a location with a relatively small population.

I think your main problem is that Fuji is not a brand known for low standover heights. Combine that with a long torso and short legs, and it's not surprising that you'd run into fit issues. I have a 2012 Tahoe 29 and have no standover clearance(fits fine otherwise). I think the current models are slightly better in that regard but not much.

As far as the parts spec on the two bikes you're talking about, the main cost difference is probably the fork. I believe the Manitou Marvel is an air fork versus a coil Suntour fork on the Nevada. That's a worthwhile upgrade. Brakes appear to be a step up on the Tahoe as well.

You're probably going to need to run a very long stem on the bike you have now to achieve anything even approaching a reasonable position on the bike. That'll put you out over the front wheel more than someone should be, but it's still probably better than being excessively cramped. Have to take some care on steep downhills though.

If you do find that things don't work out for you with the bike, a few brands that emphasize low standover are Norco, Kona, and possibly Trek. I'm sure there are many more brands better than Fuji in that regard.