mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Rakan 27.5+ at 11,000 ft

If you are serious about trail riding then this is a bike to try. Rented this one to see the off the beaten path San Juan Mountain trails over Telluride CO.
    Rakan 27.5+ at 11,000 ft-rakan11k.jpg

Climbed like a goat - was really efficient while being super comfortable with the shocks fully open. Descends really well on everything except drop offs, easy and fast despite the measured 68 degree (listed at 69) head angle and shortish travel. Did require a dropper post with its forward seat postion. Nimble around twisty downhill singletrack, tracks really well with boost and wide rims front and rear, lateral stiffness is amazing. M-link suspension was not noticeable, it just did its job well and smoothed out all terrain with the Fox CTD in Descend mode the whole time.

Geometry is ridiculously the same as my 2002 all-mountain bike, but has all the new updates you would want to get you going faster.

If I had to have only one bike (instead of six) I would lean toward a 120mm 27.5+ bike with 2.8" tires and a 68 degree head angle. Might sell three bikes to afford one of these (it was under 3 grand). It stayed glued to the trails, but never seemed to be sluggish, didn't bob or bounce, and felt like I could ride it all day without getting sore.

Why aren't there more bikes like this around? Dressed up as a 29er i cannot ride this bike because it is too skiddish and feels like a road bike, but with wide 27.5 (35mm id) rims and light and high volume casing tires (2.8 Nobby Nics) it is a game changer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Can you run 27.5+ and 29" on the same Rakan frame without any modifications? Sorry if this is a dumb question, still new to this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Technically yes, you may need to get a different lower headset to keep the geometry. I think they use slightly different linkages on the frame since I did not notice any adjustable chips. The 27.5 2.8" nobby nics measured about 29" tall and the bottom bracket was at 13.4" so its not much of a difference between these wheels and a 29er, you can definitely get away with buying the plus version and swaping in 29er wheels in for different courses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm going the other way. 29" at purchase and considering 27.5+ swap

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thats good too, lots of information on this size about 29 to 27.5+ conversions. Just look out for the bottom bracket height, don't go too low, the plus size tires will squat more and are a slightly smaller diameter. Your bb can drop over half an inch going from 29 2.25" 26psi to 27.5+ 3.0" 18psi when you sit on the bike.