Avid Fun-Junkie

2012 Fuji Reveal 2.0... what else don't I know about it?

I’ve been reading reviews and watching sales for a while now and I came across this: Fuji Reveal 2.0.

At first, I had looked it over but dismissed it. I had never heard of a Fuji… MTB? But, as time passed and I started to see bike brands you could buy from Chain Reaction Cycles out of UK. Other brands that I hadn’t heard of but all of Europe raved over. Brands that had huge lines and successful teams like CUBE. I caught on there were many good brands that didn't get much US Pop-Press.

When after more research and finding out buying outside the US meant paying a hefty import fee... the Fuji came back on the radar.

When I finally put this bike's specs side by side with similar bikes I found out what any Fuji MTB owner knows… it stacks up against bikes like the hailed Yeti 575. In fact… it finally dawned on me the "FSR" rear is really from Specialized Bikes. I thought it was just another of many acronyms that get reused.

As of this writing, a “box” is on it’s way to my house. Long ago, I have custom built a few MT bikes for racing (XC and DH) so I have a good assortment of bike tools etc. I’m just wondering what else I may have overlooked. Yea, it’s a 2012 and this is 2015. Yea, it’s only a 26” bike. I live in one of the very few places on the planet where the topography change is so violent a super quick 26” wheel and steeper head tube angle still makes any sense. I have tried some very nice 29” Salsas. And, while I immediately saw the appeal of “wagon wheels”, I was put off by the sluggishness of the turning.

The price of this Fuji... is very sweet, given a limited budget.

This Fuji is major improvement over the clunker I ride now (got it for almost free) and a modernized version of bikes I raced long ago. I’m really just wondering if anyone has advice/warnings or neat little “did you know” info. Seeing it took me a long time to just realize it’s a Horst-Link bike.

Yes... I am planning on putting up pics and impressions when it's rolling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I have the 3.0 2012 and so far so good. I like you got a snazzy deal on a decent bike. I have put like 40 miles on mine and so far so good. Granted I have not ridden much else and I live in oklahoma (flat as your girlfriend in 6th grade) So far I have just got a shorter stem.

Avid Fun-Junkie

Set-up and 1st impressions

First off... the pictures I saw from Price Point and the Fuji site archives don't do it justice. This bike is really nice and has a lot of hidden innovation. Examples: It does indeed have a 142x12 rear dropout but the Fuji wheel spec'd for the rear of this model uses an adaptor so you have quick release. You don't see the lock out for the fork in the online pictures, but you do get a remote you install. There is a LOT of detail to the makeup of this bike.

As expected, there are a few things you'll eye quickly for upgrade. The stock seat post is a bugger to adjust. (Not an issue for me because I found a KS Supernatural dropper on sale)

Handlebar may be an issue for people who are used to super wide bars but those of us that weave the trees will feel right at home with the 680mm.

Don't have enough time on the seat for any real complaints but it is a basic model.

The Front brake had to be installed on the fork. That was a fast job and the brakes do come with instructions. Both brakes did need bleeding, which was fairly easy and not unexpected given it's a 2012. It's nice working with Mineral Oil. Much better for cleanup and spills. Big marks off for the use of either too much torque or Lock-Tight on the pad retaining screws. I got the front off with a lucky twist but the back... required a retrofit with Ye Dremel Tool to get a good bite on it when the head stripped. UGLY! It has a retainer clip. There was no need for the "special treatment" from the factory. Fortunately... the reworked pin could be screwed back in easily with pliers and the retainer will make darn sure it doesn't walk even in the unlikely event it got loose. However, New bike with ugly screw....not good.

Tektro's are fairly nice. At least, on par with SLX level Shimano. They will take a few really hard rides to see if they prove themselves though.

The Forks and shock are impressive (so far) but I really had to hunt around online for set-up info. The manual shipped was just product warnings in a lot of languages. The Dual Air Forks (Not Dual Position) are cool but a tad tricky. You have an air valve Top AND Bottom of the fork (positive and negative air). You not only dial in sag but you can change the ride type. Go equal air pressure top and bottom for a firmer ride (good for getting air) or add 5 -15 lbs to the bottom for a more supple ride on the chop. It's basically a high speed compression setting. There is "more" to the forks but I'll cut things here.

The shock is a whole lot easier. It has sag markings on it and you just set the Air until you get the right sag. It has 3 positions like the Fox units.

As far as the ride quality……It's nasty winter and the only place to ride is the road (although they are very rough) for the moment due to all the snow. I was able to try all the levers out. That little handlebar lock-out switch for the forks is kinda nice. If you need to quick sprint, hit the switch on the way into standing position. It does have a factory set blow off valve if you hit hard but the pedal bob is slow to basically nothing. Truly a nice touch if you are tired and/or getting sloppy with your pedal strokes.

With front shifting along with a dropper post AND a lock-out switches, a wire jungle becomes unavoidable. Here in CT, "violent" and "sudden" are good terms to describe the terrain changes. You too often just don't have the time and space to let go, lean down, find and twist levers.

The triple ring up front is fun because I don't race and I ride wildly varied terrain, often using long paved and dirt road transitions between single-track sections. I love throwing it into that 3rd BIG ring. I am admittedly weird that way. I'll often do rides of 2 hours without ever leaving the middle ring also. It's a preference thing. If you don’t do wildly varied terrain… the wire jungle up front of the bike will be a put off for sure. I use the hell out of anything on the bike, so I don’t care.

Finally… 26” wheels… are for us old timers and skill junkies. They also work incredibly well on the trails here that seem to be laid out by squirrels on energy drinks. Yes, I might complain on a Colorado style Enduro trail… I’ll leave it at that.

Overall, the fit and finish of this bike is primo (bad brake pad screw aside). Components may not be the lightest but they are very smooth. This bike is a workhorse, no doubt. If I had to lump it into a catagory I’d say it’s a Trail Bike. The numbers suggest it’s closer to an XC bike then an AM and my first impressions bear that out. It’s happy doing slow twisty manuevers. Time will tell on the rest.

If you need/want more info and pics, let me know. If no one asks, I’ll just leave this post as is for future generations to scratch thier head at.

2012 Fuji Reveal 2.0... what else don't I know about it?-2012_fuji_reveal_2-0.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_J View Post
    First off... the pictures I saw from Price Point and the Fuji site archives don't do it justice. This bike is really nice and has a lot of hidden innovation. Examples: It does indeed have a 142x12 rear dropout but the Fuji wheel spec'd for the rear of this model uses an adaptor so you have quick release. You don't see the lock out for the fork in the online pictures, but you do get a remote you install. There is a LOT of detail to the makeup of this bike.

As expected, there are a few things you'll eye quickly for upgrade. The stock seat post is a bugger to adjust. (Not an issue for me because I found a KS Supernatural dropper on sale)

Handlebar may be an issue for people who are used to super wide bars but those of us that weave the trees will feel right at home with the 680mm.

Don't have enough time on the seat for any real complaints but it is a basic model.

The Front brake had to be installed on the fork. That was a fast job and the brakes do come with instructions. Both brakes did need bleeding, which was fairly easy and not unexpected given it's a 2012. It's nice working with Mineral Oil. Much better for cleanup and spills. Big marks off for the use of either too much torque or Lock-Tight on the pad retaining screws. I got the front off with a lucky twist but the back... required a retrofit with Ye Dremel Tool to get a good bite on it when the head stripped. UGLY! It has a retainer clip. There was no need for the "special treatment" from the factory. Fortunately... the reworked pin could be screwed back in easily with pliers and the retainer will make darn sure it doesn't walk even in the unlikely event it got loose. However, New bike with ugly screw....not good.

Tektro's are fairly nice. At least, on par with SLX level Shimano. They will take a few really hard rides to see if they prove themselves though.

The Forks and shock are impressive (so far) but I really had to hunt around online for set-up info. The manual shipped was just product warnings in a lot of languages. The Dual Air Forks (Not Dual Position) are cool but a tad tricky. You have an air valve Top AND Bottom of the fork (positive and negative air). You not only dial in sag but you can change the ride type. Go equal air pressure top and bottom for a firmer ride (good for getting air) or add 5 -15 lbs to the bottom for a more supple ride on the chop. It's basically a high speed compression setting. There is "more" to the forks but I'll cut things here.

The shock is a whole lot easier. It has sag markings on it and you just set the Air until you get the right sag. It has 3 positions like the Fox units.

As far as the ride quality……It's nasty winter and the only place to ride is the road (although they are very rough) for the moment due to all the snow. I was able to try all the levers out. That little handlebar lock-out switch for the forks is kinda nice. If you need to quick sprint, hit the switch on the way into standing position. It does have a factory set blow off valve if you hit hard but the pedal bob is slow to basically nothing. Truly a nice touch if you are tired and/or getting sloppy with your pedal strokes.

With front shifting along with a dropper post AND a lock-out switches, a wire jungle becomes unavoidable. Here in CT, "violent" and "sudden" are good terms to describe the terrain changes. You too often just don't have the time and space to let go, lean down, find and twist levers.

The triple ring up front is fun because I don't race and I ride wildly varied terrain, often using long paved and dirt road transitions between single-track sections. I love throwing it into that 3rd BIG ring. I am admittedly weird that way. I'll often do rides of 2 hours without ever leaving the middle ring also. It's a preference thing. If you don’t do wildly varied terrain… the wire jungle up front of the bike will be a put off for sure. I use the hell out of anything on the bike, so I don’t care.

Finally… 26” wheels… are for us old timers and skill junkies. They also work incredibly well on the trails here that seem to be laid out by squirrels on energy drinks. Yes, I might complain on a Colorado style Enduro trail… I’ll leave it at that.

Overall, the fit and finish of this bike is primo (bad brake pad screw aside). Components may not be the lightest but they are very smooth. This bike is a workhorse, no doubt. If I had to lump it into a catagory I’d say it’s a Trail Bike. The numbers suggest it’s closer to an XC bike then an AM and my first impressions bear that out. It’s happy doing slow twisty manuevers. Time will tell on the rest.

If you need/want more info and pics, let me know. If no one asks, I’ll just leave this post as is for future generations to scratch thier head at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012_Fuji_Reveal_2-0.jpg 
Views:	1656 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	966386
    I'm thinking of grabbing the 3.0. Can you confirm the functional frame size runs quite large on these. The 19 seems to spec more like a 20-20.5. Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Avid Fun-Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by IanMMA View Post
    I'm thinking of grabbing the 3.0. Can you confirm the functional frame size runs quite large on these. The 19 seems to spec more like a 20-20.5. Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    YES... @6' 1" I ride the MEDIUM. And that... I shortened the stem down to 80mm for.

Here is the link to the FUJI Archives: Fuji Bikes - USA Archive

You'll find the 2012's there with a lot of details.

I've been riding this bike pretty hard for a couple months now. It is GREAT. The rear end is actually licenced from Specialized, it IS an FSR and you'll find a hidden sticker saying so on the frame. It climbs like an XC. Don't be afraid to hit the suspension switches! Ignore the damn stickers for suggested PSI (that are too high) and set sag to 30%. When setting the negative air pressure (bottom of fork) leave the pump on and cycle the fork a bunch of times to check pressure.

Yes... this is an oddball bike. From the weird size scheme on down. BUT... it does it's job extremly well.

Any other questions... find me here. I have a ton of tips.
    Pictures are way better than words / You are guaranteed to write something... someone will be offended by

mtbr member
    I just got a 2011 Reveal 1.0 bare frame and built it up with a Manitou fork and Rock Shox Monarch R shock. I absolutely love the bike and its sharper than "AM" geometry.

mtbr member

Last edited by Cracka; 11-14-2015 at 06:21 PM. Reason: ...