Anytime. Anywhere.

What About The Doctahawk?

I am curious what the frame building community thinks about the new Chromag Doctahawk. I like a long, slack hardtail, but crap, this bike is slack!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What About The Doctahawk?-chromag-doctahawk-web.jpg  

What About The Doctahawk?-screen-shot-2019-02-09-2.50.53-pm.png  

I got some bad ideas in my head.

I'm sure is has a space, I just don't know where that space is.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Out spokin'
    Iím either not ready, not worthy, or both. Regardless, Iím intrigued.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Build one and see if you like it.

Moderator Moderator
    It seems to me that you'd hit stuff with the front wheel and not even notice it, then get bucked off the bike when the rear wheel encountered the obstacle.

I mean, hardtails only make sense to make so slack, because no matter how stable you make the steering, the rear end is going to get thrown around like crazy anyway in rough stuff and make all that steering trail pointless.

But people love them their slack bikes, so I'm sure they'll sell a ton. Then Pole will come out with a 55 degree HTA/90 STA model or something.

-W

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    It seems to me that you'd hit stuff with the front wheel and not even notice it, then get bucked off the bike when the rear wheel encountered the obstacle.

I mean, hardtails only make sense to make so slack, because no matter how stable you make the steering, the rear end is going to get thrown around like crazy anyway in rough stuff and make all that steering trail pointless.

But people love them their slack bikes, so I'm sure they'll sell a ton. Then Pole will come out with a 55 degree HTA/90 STA model or something.

-W
    With pre-curved, backwards arcing Fox 40 fork, in order to deal with the inevitable flex.
    Death from Below.

Out spokin'

-W
    B..b..but if it doesnít matter, then it doesnít matter, right?
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mbtr member
    It's really interesting! I look forward to seeing its influence in the future.

-it's weird that production frames have gone beyond the extreme geometry i've explored.
    -i lack the skills to go fast enough to make use of such a long front end on a hardtail
    -i lack the skills/taste to enjoy riding terrain where such a long front end is mostly beneficial
    -there's not a lot of terrain where that sort of geometry is definitely better, rather than a very strange compromise
    -i'm glad that such a bike is in production; now people can form their own opinions rather than worshiping the 'long bike evangelists'
    -i think the dropper post they used in your photo is hilarious
    -unless i got a new body, i doubt i could be comfortable on that bike for my typical rides
    -i think it's well executed

Realtalk- when i'm taking the burly hardtail out i'm looking for a specific experience. I don't wanna set KOMs or hit new features. I want to feel safe and comfortable on the bike, and challenged by the terrain. At the point that this frame's strengths are worth consideration... I'd be much happier riding FS.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Moderator Moderator
    All new from Waltworks!! The DIY-doctahawk kit!

You'll need:
    -Your DH bike.

You get:
    -A wood dowel custom drilled to replace your rear shock at 30% sag.

Yes, you too can build your own Doctahawk for the low, low price of $59.95!

*Some assembly required. Waltworks takes no responsibility for splinters.*

Find us on Kickstarter soon!

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    niche for sure, but i can see this working on the super steep tech that is chromags back yard.

Out spokin'
    Fellas, Iíve been under a rock for a while. Please tell me whoís making single-crown 29er forks with 180mm travel. Thanks.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Let's see a raise of hands here from guys that have ridden in Pemberton on the steeper trails? Or the steep Whistler valley loamers?

This isn't a bike for Sun Valley buff or Park City noodling. It's a niche bike designed for steep tech. Sure someone is going to buy it and ride it on flat buff trails, but that's not what it's for.

PS if you wreck yourself in Whistler there is a high chance that the doctor taking care of you in the clinic is the guy that pushed for this bike and the guy the bike is named after. He shreds harder than you do.

Yeah, too bad most of them will likely be used to shred the local MUP's.
    Wanted, SRAM GX 2x11 rear derailleur

It ain't supposed to be easy.

Moderator Moderator
    I was a pro DH rider briefly. I have ridden crazy steep crap all over. I still think this bike is very silly. I guess if you just want to basically fall off things to *only smooth transitions/landings*, sure. I haven't ridden in BC so maybe that's the story?

But it's a mountain bike, so as long as people are having fun and can take some good natured ribbing about it, I'm all for it.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Let's see a raise of hands here from guys that have ridden in Pemberton on the steeper trails? Or the steep Whistler valley loamers?

This isn't a bike for Sun Valley buff or Park City noodling. It's a niche bike designed for steep tech. Sure someone is going to buy it and ride it on flat buff trails, but that's not what it's for.

PS if you wreck yourself in Whistler there is a high chance that the doctor taking care of you in the clinic is the guy that pushed for this bike and the guy the bike is named after. He shreds harder than you do.
    ahhh, this is clark's bike. it all makes sense. and yes to all of the above.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xy9ine View Post
    ahhh, this is clark's bike. it all makes sense. and yes to all of the above.
    The blue one pictured is an employee bike, the original raw proto if the good Doctor's bike. Doc's original proto was made back last April.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    All new from Waltworks!! The DIY-doctahawk kit!

You'll need:
    -Your DH bike.

You get:
    -A wood dowel custom drilled to replace your rear shock at 30% sag.

Yes, you too can build your own Doctahawk for the low, low price of $59.95!

*Some assembly required. Waltworks takes no responsibility for splinters.*

Find us on Kickstarter soon!

-Walt
    Is this available in Metric sizing?

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Damon777 View Post
    Is this available in Metric sizing?
    Metric and Trunnion DIY-doctahawk kits are definitely on the drawing board!

We will also be offering a slack-n-low/full bottom kit which consists of:
    -1/2" thick foam rubber sheet
    -Duct tape

All you have to do is remove your rear shock, then install the rubber bumper anywhere that rockers/bridges contact your seat tube, and duct tape in place!

You'll be slacker, longer, and lower than all your friends, and ready to SHRED.

-Walt

mtbr member
    To me, the crazy steep seat angle on a hard tail is more of a departure than the head angle. Running ~25% sag with a 180 fork makes the HA closer to a comparitiveky normal sounding 64ish whereas the seat angle gets awfully close to 80. (Just swags)

Walt, you need to add a profile fast forward seatpost to your kit for a proper near-vertical seat angle. Maybe you can chop it and weld it to the top of a dropper.
    I make bikes. www.feldybikes.com

Ride On
    I think itís great and agree the head angle is pretty normal at sag. But that seat angle and I really like steep seat angles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I'd love to be able to demo one of those or a hardtail from Sick Bikes or BTR. Just to see what they are like.
    Niner WFO9, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (town/workout/gravel)

mtbr member
    It's a niche bike for people who like slack hardtails. It's not for performance. If it was for performance it would have 180mm of rear suspension too. You'll still be way under gunned on this bike if you take it to legit DH courses and are trying to keep up with people on enduro and DH bikes. You'll be able to get down the mountain but if you're buying a bike specifically for 'most people don't realize how extreme these trails are' trails then this still isn't the best choice. If you buy it for more tame trails it's not the best choice. This bike is for people who like the idea of this bike.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Guys,

I ride with a 180mm fork on a hardtail and it's great. Most people don't need 180mm of fork but some of us do. The bike still climbs better than anything you can buy and is super fun where and how I ride. I've talked with Ian about the Tomahawk-type bikes and they make perfect sense for what they are doing with them. My bike is very different and makes perfect sense for where and what I'm doing with it.

I don't make bicycles. I make weapons systems. | Peter Verdone Designs

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    yep. it's a big diverse world out there. what works for some may not work for you - does not mean the concept is necessarily flawed. i'm stoked to see there's people out there finally pushing beyond road bike conventions to see "what if". mountain bike geometry evolution has been traditionally so timid - a degree here, a couple millimeters there. we're pretty adaptable creatures, able to accommodate pushing things out a handful of degrees or several inches, and from what i've seen &/or ridden, the new "radical" geometries offer tangible benefits (at least, for specific useages). so yeah. i welcome our new slack / slammed / stretched overlords.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Doctor explains the Doctahawk. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/chroma...planation.html
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Fellas, Iíve been under a rock for a while. Please tell me whoís making single-crown 29er forks with 180mm travel. Thanks.
    =sParty
    Rockshox Lyrik
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    What About The Doctahawk?-joe_breeze.jpg